The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 240

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    The DR bronze wounds were crap. They lasted all of 3 hours, and I trashed them. 3 sets of strings in one week and I'm settling on the TI Bebop round 14's for the HJS.

JD I'd be curious to hear the GJS recorded with TI Bebop's of your choice. I find acoustic electrics sound richer with the TI Bebop's.
    I must confess surprise that you defer to TI Bebop rounds, I believe the greater number of Archtop players here use
    TI flats , for very good reason ,they are long lasting , have less tension than other makes and do not induce string
    squeak, which is anathema to most, and particularly when playing Ballads. having used TI flats for probably the best
    part of 30 years I find them to be the best strings of any other make. They are expensive but that is offset by their
    longevity. The answer is to buy in bulk 10 sets + .
    However I notice they are more expensive in the USA generally. They can be had for approx £11.20 - £12.20 via
    Thomann or DV247. It might be worth research into costs importing? they may be no cheaper to you due to import
    charges & Postage .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2b,
    You must have strong hands to use 14's. Just keep an eye on the top arch of that HJS. I know you are a very knowledgable guy - but I remember my conversation with Heritage guitars years ago about string gauge on their Johnny's . They told me (towards the end of production of these models ) they left the factory with either 11's or 12's - no higher.

They also said people were cranking down the screws on the fingers and exerting too much top pressure - resulting in partially collapsed tops.

I looked at a HJS from a guy out in CA with a collapsed top on the bass side. The saddle was cranked almost off the screw stud to compensate for the dropped top.

Just sharing what I learned .

User Info Menu

Some folks who use heavy gauge round wounds have;

Really strong hands
    Are partially deaf
    No regard for the rest of the family

Me?

I have weak hands, a light touch and use Flatwound strings and an Amp to piss off everyone in my house. Its my reminder to them as to who's name is Mortgage Bill every month..

Just kidding.

JD

User Info Menu

I'm using BB13s on my archtop which I rarely play amplified. I would try the 12s out of curiosity if they had the wound G. Curious to try the Benson round wound TI 12s on my archtop because of that and the bigger low End compared to the high E, than on the Bebops, despite of the stupid price. Looking at Pyramids too. I wish Thomastik would rework and expand their range a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Some folks who use heavy gauge round wounds have;

Really strong hands
    Are partially deaf
    No regard for the rest of the family

Me?

I have weak hands, a light touch and use Flatwound strings and an Amp to piss off everyone in my house. Its my reminder to them as to who's name is Mortgage Bill every month..

Just kidding.

JD
    Paying the cost to be the boss!

User Info Menu

I have to say, as far as roundwounds go, TI Bebops are the easiest on the fingers that I have played. But that unwound third on the 12's is absurd. With a wood bridge saddle, intonation is off. And like all roundwounds, they go dead in short order. And then they sound almost like flatwounds, just not as thick, nor are they as comfortable on the fingers.

TI Swing series flats are the best strings ever! I use both their 12's and 13's (depending on the guitar) and have used them for about 15 years now. Being that I am a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, I plan on using them as long as they are available or until I check out. Whichever comes first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    But that unwound third on the 12's is absurd. With a wood bridge saddle, intonation is off.
    The TI George Benson round wounds (GR112) have a wound third but they are a little more expensive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    The TI George Benson round wounds (GR112) have a wound third but they are a little more expensive.

I have tried both the Benson rounds and flats and found them to be a tad brighter than the Swings and Bebops (was this my imagination, or have others found this as well?)

User Info Menu

I have to say, as far as roundwounds go, TI Bebops are the easiest on the fingers that I have played. But that unwound third on the 12's is absurd. With a wood bridge saddle, intonation is off. And like all roundwounds, they go dead in short order. And then they sound almost like flatwounds, just not as thick, nor are they as comfortable on the fingers.

TI Swing series flats are the best strings ever! I use both their 12's and 13's (depending on the guitar) and have used them for about 15 years now. Being that I am a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, I plan on using them as long as they are available or until I check out. Whichever comes first.
    SS, Good points. In my opinion, when TI JazzSwing 12's are fresh, they are as perfect a string as there can possibly be.
    I find something, I like it, I stick with it.
    Just about every restaurant I go to, I don't even Look at the menu. I get the same thing at that restaurant everytime. Ruths Chris, Veal Osso Buco Ravioli, 11oz filet, Loaded Baked Potato. A glass of Seghesio Zin. I'm good, 7 days a week, twice on Sunday..

User Info Menu

I have tried both the Benson rounds and flats and found them to be a tad brighter than the Swings and Bebops (was this my imagination, or have others found this as well?)
    You should sample Bebop 14's on one of your D'A's. They provide that extra umph to volume and harmonics from my perspective. They're as comfortable to play, for me, than a pair of D'Addario 12's. Bebop 14's are my string of choice for acoustics...flats don't do it for me unless it's a humbucker...and even then I miss the "feel" and grip of the wound Bebops. Personal choice.

User Info Menu

2B, I have tried the GB 14 flats. Too heavy for my taste. Swing Flats in 13 are pushing it for me. One of these days, I will probably just use TI Swing 12's like Joe D.

User Info Menu

TI Swing 13s are great for my L5's, L7's and Lee Rit. Signature, but some guitars benefit from exchanging the E1 to a 14. This is what i use on my LeGrand and i will soon try it on my JS too. I don't think i need more strength because of it, but the tone definitely improves. Also the 14 lasts longer than the 13 which, after a few weeks usually starts losing power.

User Info Menu

The best part about this thread is that it led me to Joe's YouTube page. There is an absolute wealth of brilliantly played music with top notch arrangements. Consider me subscribed!

User Info Menu

Thanks buddy.
    now that I'm absolutely DONE wheeling and dealing, I'm going back to playing my butt off.
    My boy Vinny got on me a little about becoming an out of control mess. He was right. Even though I had a goal, I said a lot things that I went back on. I didn't mean in any way to deceive anyone and wasn't building up a guitar just to sell it. Everything I said about the guitars I owned and then sold was absolutely honest, from my heart. They were all great. Some of which were the greatest I ever touched, at the time. I wasn't building up anything for the wrong reasons.
    I had a long term goal. It was a Johnny Smith. And now I have 2. I couldn't imagine that in my wildest dreams. Everything else under that is in place now. I'm very content.
    You guys are the best.
    JD
    Last edited by Max405; 10-08-2016 at 01:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks buddy.
    now that I'm absolutely DONE wheeling and dealing, I'm going back to playing my butt off.
    My boy Vinny got on me a little about becoming an out of control mess. He was right. Even though I had a goal, I said a lot things that I went back on. I didn't mean in any way to deceive anyone and wasn't building up a guitar just to sell it. Everything I said about the guitars I owned and then sold was absolutely honest, from my heart. They were all great. Some of which were the greatest I ever touched, at the time. I wasn't building up anything for the wrong reasons.
    I had a long term goal. It was a Johnny Smith. And now I have 2. I couldn't imagine that in my wildest dreams. Everything else under that is in place now. I'm very content.
    You guys are the best.
    JD

I am glad you are finished with guitar selling. Doug and I are out of cash.....

User Info Menu

Can I interest you in an Ovation?
    Kidding. You guys were very helpful. I promise, im done.
    JD

User Info Menu

Can I interest you in an Ovation? Kidding. You guys were very helpful. I promise, im done. JD
    Sure…. we believe you…really….
    Just remember…the wind cries….Chancellor….Chancellor…

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Number one saying around here, and you probably know this as much as anyone....
    Never say never, or in this case 'done'
    Really lucky to have owned many of my dream guitars over my lifetime and it's been quite awhile since I bought a guitar or amp, but still have a few on my bucket list.
    If l find something that really moves me I still might jump

User Info Menu

SS, Good points. In my opinion, when TI JazzSwing 12's are fresh, they are as perfect a string as there can possibly be.
    I find something, I like it, I stick with it.
    Just about every restaurant I go to, I don't even Look at the menu. I get the same thing at that restaurant everytime. Ruths Chris, Veal Osso Buco Ravioli, 11oz filet, Loaded Baked Potato. A glass of Seghesio Zin. I'm good, 7 days a week, twice on Sunday..

I know exactly what I am having next time I go to Ruth's Chris!

User Info Menu

Max as in Max Bauer ?

User Info Menu

Long ago when I was in shape 405lbs was my max on the bench. Since then 2 partially torn pecs and a completely torn left tricep muscle has me unable to bench press only the 45lb bar. Sucks. But, that's life!

User Info Menu

Ahhh, I thought it was for the 405 guitars you've owned.

If you are truly done (for the moment) purchasing guitars, I hope that it will give you more time to record and post more tunes, love your arrangements, touch and tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Ahhh, I thought it was for the 405 guitars you've owned.

If you are truly done (for the moment) purchasing guitars, I hope that it will give you more time to record and post more tunes, love your arrangements, touch and tone!
    Thank you buddy. I am going to spend more time playing and recording. My stuff will be better as a result.
    It is my pleasure to share my stuff with you guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Long ago when I was in shape 405lbs was my max on the bench. Since then 2 partially torn pecs and a completely torn left tricep muscle has me unable to bench press only the 45lb bar. Sucks. But, that's life!
    Sorry to hear that JD! Tricep and Pec tears can be very painful. Did you injure them lifting? Surgery? Recovered now?

User Info Menu

I tore both pec muscles in my basement with 365 on the bar.
    My tricep when I took a header on my mountain bike.
    Both cases, no surgery. My tricep rolled down toward my elbow. It was part of the large head. Looks funny now.
    Thanks bro.
    Joe D