The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 240

User Info Menu

That one is a beauty! Congratulations!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Billy Bean shall not be overlooked when it comes to bebop chops, he had monster chops and is worth digging

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Billy Bean shall not be overlooked when it comes to bebop chops, he had monster chops and is worth digging
    yes, not to mention Pat Martino

User Info Menu

Joe, it wasn't personal. I can only imagine you and Patrick didn't have the experience with each other at the time of the transaction. Had Patrick began counting that money a second time in my presence I'd have snatched it from his hands, snapped the bills on his forehead while saying "Marine if you count that money one more time I'm going to put you in a headlock and honk your nose until you say Navy." We'd have shared a laugh and that would have been the end of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Joe, it wasn't personal. I can only imagine you and Patrick didn't have the experience with each other at the time of the transaction. Had Patrick began counting that money a second time in my presence I'd have snatched it from his hands, snapped the bills on his forehead while saying "Marine if you count that money one more time I'm going to put you in a headlock and honk your nose until you say Navy." We'd have shared a laugh and that would have been the end of it.
    Yes, you are right, we were just beginning our friendship. Don't get me wrong, I got over it. In fact, the day he passed away we were supposed take Ronaldo to lunch at a Cuban place across the street from his shop. But he called me the day before and told me he couldn't go because he said 2:30 was too late for him.. Then it turned out the real reason was because Peter Frampton was going to be in the shop that morning and he wanted to see Peter. Patrick never made it.. I got "better deal'd".. But that's OK. It was Pete Frampton. What am I gonna do..
    Patrick was a trip.

User Info Menu

Joe, every single one of us has done things, said things, posted things that we shouldn't have. And we all know regret. I didn't know him personally, but I would bet it all that Patrick did, too. Play one just for him, to him, and tell him everything you have to say. And keep on playing until you get it all out. That song will get sweeter, and it will resonate with many more than Patrick, because we all know that song.

User Info Menu

Wow, Joe. That is a beauty of a guitar. I am listening to your clips as I write this and it certainly sounds like you found your perfect partner in crime with that Gibson. Enjoy the heck out of it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aboutIt
    Joe, every single one of us has done things, said things, posted things that we shouldn't have. And we all know regret. I didn't know him personally, but I would bet it all that Patrick did, too. Play one just for him, to him, and tell him everything you have to say. And keep on playing until you get it all out. That song will get sweeter, and it will resonate with many more than Patrick, because we all know that song.
    A couple of months after he passed, I actually played Lush Life for him the very next day after I bought his Heritage DA. He told me that was his favorite song. So I said before the song, "I'd like to dedicate this song to Patrick Amato"... When I was playing it, I looked around the restaurant and saw a couple of people looking around at other tables, whispering to each other, "Who the hell is Patrick??" True Story.

JD

User Info Menu

Man, I about busted my gut reading that

User Info Menu

Wow. What a beauty. Got my juices flowing.

User Info Menu

Thanks Fred.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artdecade
    Wow, Joe. That is a beauty of a guitar. I am listening to your clips as I write this and it certainly sounds like you found your perfect partner in crime with that Gibson. Enjoy the heck out of it!
    Yeah, it is an amazing Guitar.
    I played the Heritage a little last night. I just might be able to drift back and forth between the Gibson and the Heritage. I will admit, its kinda cool to own both.
    Im trying to figure out which one sounds better with a drop D tuning. Maybe I can leave one Standard and the other Drop D.
    That would be ridiculous..
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Also don't forget Grant Green's Blue Note recordings. 1960-1964. Swinging stuff. Jimmy Raney and Tal's styles were very similar with Tal being faster and Jimmy cleaner. Serious chops.
    You know, I listened to some Grant Green last night. I liked it a lot.
    It really is amazing how much the blues influenced those guys. The half step transitions that he throws in really fit the progressions very well. I don't do that, at all. I think I listened to WAAAAYYY too much Al DiMeola when I was developing. I have his runs etched into my head. What I need to do is loop a 25 song compilation of GG, Tal, JimmyR, Herb and Wes, and fall asleep with the headphones on. Do that for a week. Then it will all come naturally.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    It really is amazing how much the blues influenced those guys. The half step transitions that he throws in really fit the progressions very well. I don't do that, at all. I think I listened to WAAAAYYY too much Al DiMeola when I was developing. I have his runs etched into my head. What I need to do is loop a 25 song compilation of GG, Tal, JimmyR, Herb and Wes, and fall asleep with the headphones on. Do that for a week. Then it will all come naturally.
    JD
    I really think you should include Pat Martino in the compilation. Apart from his tremendous technique he is probably the most soulful ballad player i ever heard.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall.

User Info Menu

JD

As long as we're throwing in names, I think you should get some Barney Kessel in the mix. He could bop with the best and then he could also do amazing arrangements of vocal classics like he did for Julie London.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it is an amazing Guitar.
    I played the Heritage a little last night. I just might be able to drift back and forth between the Gibson and the Heritage. I will admit, its kinda cool to own both.
    Im trying to figure out which one sounds better with a drop D tuning. Maybe I can leave one Standard and the other Drop D.
    That would be ridiculous..
    JD
    Joe, you could always put rounds on the HJS and in some respects have a different guitar. TI Bebop round 14's work for me, but they're available in 12's too...good string...and the other option is to place 80/20's or any other acoustic string to your liking. I'd be surprised if the HJS didn't excel with acoustic strings. I'm pulling the TI Swing flats off mine today...that top deserves to sing with a round wound is my thinking.

I understand those of you who prefer flats on an acoustic electric archtop...When the HJS arrived last week I installed flats to hear what the fuss was about...I'm not feeling it personally....an acoustic electric needs to be driven with a string other than flats to my ear. I'm playing for my own personal enjoyment so string noise is really a non issue.

Excuse me while I go cut off a pair of week old $23 strings

User Info Menu

Joe, you could always put rounds on the HJS and in some respects have a different guitar. TI Bebop round 14's work for me, but they're available in 12's too...good string...and the other option is to place 80/20's or any other acoustic string to your liking. I'd be surprised if the HJS didn't excel with acoustic strings. I'm pulling the TI Swing flats off mine today...that top deserves to sing with a round wound is my thinking.

I understand those of you who prefer flats on an acoustic electric archtop...When the HJS arrived last week I installed flats to hear what the fuss was about...I'm not feeling it personally....an acoustic electric needs to be driven with a string other than flats to my ear. I'm playing for my own personal enjoyment so string noise is really a non issue.

Excuse me while I go cut off a pair of week old $23 strings

don't cut, unwind and save if the length jives w/another guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Or send them to me. I'll use them....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Every other guitar has TI Swing 13's or Benson 14's

But I did unwind them and set them aside in the event of a string break.

The previous owner forwarded 3 sets of DR 80/20 bronze wounds...so I decided to sample my first set of 80/20's on the HJS
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-05-2016 at 04:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Cant be wastin those TI's bro..
    That's like gold around here..
    JD

User Info Menu

Cant be wastin those TI's bro..
    That's like gold around here..
    JD
    The DR bronze wounds were crap. They lasted all of 3 hours, and I trashed them. 3 sets of strings in one week and I'm settling on the TI Bebop round 14's for the HJS.

JD I'd be curious to hear the GJS recorded with TI Bebop's of your choice. I find acoustic electrics sound richer with the TI Bebop's.

User Info Menu

Congrats Joe! I really like your tone and playing and this guitar seems to be the peanut butter to your jelly. You deserve it.

User Info Menu

The DR bronze wounds were crap. They lasted all of 3 hours, and I trashed them. 3 sets of strings in one week and I'm settling on the TI Bebop round 14's for the HJS.

JD I'd be curious to hear the GJS recorded with TI Bebop's of your choice. I find acoustic electrics sound richer with the TI Bebop's.
    He won't do it because of string squeaks, I tried before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    He won't do it because of string squeaks, I tried before.
    medblues, I'm sorry bud. If I played without an amp most of the time, I'd probably use roundwounds. I just love the feel, sound and smoothness of flats. To me, that's the sound a jazz guitar should make.

Quote Originally Posted by kid335
    Congrats Joe! I really like your tone and playing and this guitar seems to be the peanut butter to your jelly. You deserve it.
    335! Where ya been man? Welcome back. And thanks for your nice words. But I've been slacking. Too much rearranging the lineup and not enough practice. That's officially over (stop laughing Vin).

2b, I do like the strings that Patrick had on the 18" Unity. They were either Bebops.
    I will try them, I promise.
    JD