The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 240

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The Helen Keller line was politically "insensitive" but hilarious. All Gibson Hollowbodys come from the factory with labels, but some fall off over time. The fact that your GJS is missing the label is sad. You can get a repro label if you wish, but you will need a medium to get Johnny Smith to sign it....
    According to my discussions with Larry Wexer, between 1975 and 1977 Gibson (Norlin) was using the decal on the back of the headstock " as the label" and many guitars from this period did not have interior labels. Ive seen other 76' Gibson Archtops without interior labels , only the oval decal on back of headstock.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Joe D., on obtaining your grail. This place is aspirational, and I love it precisely because it's aspirational. Sure, I'd love to obtain some of the iconic guitars floating around this forum, but what I really aspire to is a virtuosity of the instrument like that displayed by Joe.

Thanks for sharing those clips, Joe. Love 'em.
    Last edited by Dedalus; 10-02-2016 at 07:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Dedalus,
    Thanks buddy. I had a blast doing the videos.
    And it's been so gratifying to see how this whole story was received by people. I means a lot that it happened but it means more when you share it with your friends who know a lot about this stuff.
    I am blessed and thankful to you and everyone else who come on here and express great feelings about this.
    Thanks Joe D

User Info Menu

AFAIK, all came with labels, even the high end archtops:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_76L5C.html

Sometimes they fall off and can be found inside the guitar...time for a mirror and a flashlight?
    hey, did you ever see the card that My Joey left inside the case of the excel for you?
    and oh, by the way, I found the documentation from Gruhn's that you asked me for. I will get it right out to you.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    hey, did you ever see the card that My Joey left inside the case of the excel for you?
    and oh, by the way, I found the documentation from Gruhn's that you asked me for. I will get it right out to you.
    JD
    The Holy Grail card was a nice touch!

User Info Menu

...The Gibson feels like you can kill somebody with it.
    JD
    Just make it a fascist, please! (RIP Woody)

User Info Menu

Joe,

OUTSTANDING! That guitar sounds simply great in your hands. We all grew up listening to JS play beautifully. For many of those years, he did so on a guitar exactly like the one you now own.

As a boy my desire for archtop guitars was fueled by Johnny Smith's regular column in Guitar Player Magazine. In the column he held a guitar that looked just like yours.

I truly believe that you have found the guitar that permits you to express yourself completely.

Enjoy, brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    OUTSTANDING! That guitar sounds simply great in your hands. We all grew up listening to JS play beautifully. For many of those years, he did so on a guitar exactly like the one you now own.
    As a boy my desire for archtop guitars was fueled by Johnny Smith's regular column in Guitar Player Magazine. In the column he held a guitar that looked just like yours.
    I truly believe that you have found the guitar that permits you to express yourself completely.
    Enjoy, brother.
    Greentone, Yes bro, this is it. There's only 1 guitar left and it sucks because I had 2 of them already. Before I faceplant, I need to get myself a nice L5Wes and then explore it. My 1st one was Ebony and I never played it because it took too long to clean after I was done with it. The 2nd was a VSB that I never bonded with. I think it was because Patrick made me go to the bank on a Saturday Morning before drove all the way down to his house so I could give him cash. And then he counted the money like 15 times in front of me. It wasn't wrong of him to do that, but it just rubbed me the wrong way so I couldn't warm up to the guitar. I just don't like not being trusted. And he knew it..
    The prices that people are asking for L5's are higher now than when I sold my VSB L5 WES which was for around $5400. I Wont pay more than that. It would not be worth it to me.
    Thanks again. I found my Unicorn ..

User Info Menu

Oh, my...Patrick. He was a character. He was yanking your chain--big time. That would have driven me nuts, too. Probably, it would have soured me on the experience. My dealings with Patrick were great, I must say. I remember the Wes, well. He offered it to me, but I bought a Super Eagle instead.

Anyway, you have the right guitar for what you are doing. Your playing just sings with the GJS. Your clips are great.

User Info Menu

The GJS is a bigger guitar, an older guitar, and a different guitar made from different billets, compared to the HJS. It would be stunning if the two sounded the same. Since they don't, it's best to have one of each!

I'd love to hear you record something acoustically.

User Info Menu

Greentone, Yes bro, this is it. There's only 1 guitar left and it sucks because I had 2 of them already. Before I faceplant, I need to get myself a nice L5Wes and then explore it. My 1st one was Ebony and I never played it because it took too long to clean after I was done with it. The 2nd was a VSB that I never bonded with. I think it was because Patrick made me go to the bank on a Saturday Morning before drove all the way down to his house so I could give him cash. And then he counted the money like 15 times in front of me. It wasn't wrong of him to do that, but it just rubbed me the wrong way so I couldn't warm up to the guitar. I just don't like not being trusted. And he knew it..
    The prices that people are asking for L5's are higher now than when I sold my VSB L5 WES which was for around $5400. I Wont pay more than that. It would not be worth it to me.
    Thanks again. I found my Unicorn ..
    Joe, perhaps things happen for a reason. Could it be that a L-5CES rather than a WESMO is the right L-5 for you? After all, you prefer the heavier built, more "electric" sounding archtops. I have a Wesmo and a Super400CES. The Wesmo is brighter and more acoustically loud. The Super 400CES nails that old school, dark Gibson sound.

That said, I know what it is like to buy the same guitar for the third time. I have done that with two guitars, the ES-175 and the Stratocaster. Probably why today, I have two of each! If I am ever stupid enough to sell one, I will still have one. (We learn from our mistakes)

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Gibson JS

For my L5 gas I just went with an L5CES and an L5WES ... LOL

They are both wonderful and just different enough to make it worth having both

User Info Menu

i heard some of the Norlins didn't have labels.
    Is that not true? Not that it matters. It's not gonna change anything.
    JD
    Mine also does not have a label. I don't mind at all, in fact i think this was standard around the late seventies. I have looked very closely at fotos of other late seventies Johnny Smith guitars, have seen quite a few where no label could be seen through the f-hole. It appears as if at the time with the format .....

Johnny Smith
    Made in USA
    XXXXXXXX

.... on the back of the headstock there were no labels inside.

User Info Menu

Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-img20161003_19104556-jpg

Just had to dig out this album. The first time I'd ever seen or heard of that guitar !

Been faking ' Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most ' ever since !

Enjoy yours Joe !!

User Info Menu

Joe, perhaps things happen for a reason. Could it be that a L-5CES rather than a WESMO is the right L-5 for you? After all, you prefer the heavier built, more "electric" sounding archtops. I have a Wesmo and a Super400CES. The Wesmo is brighter and more acoustically loud. The Super 400CES nails that old school, dark Gibson sound.

That said, I know what it is like to buy the same guitar for the third time. I have done that with two guitars, the ES-175 and the Stratocaster. Probably why today, I have two of each! If I am ever stupid enough to sell one, I will still have one. (We learn from our mistakes)
    ss I got my Tal for that. I'm thinking Wes L5..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Congrats on the Gibson JS
    For my L5 gas I just went with an L5CES and an L5WES ... LOL
    They are both wonderful and just different enough to make it worth having both
    Tal and a Wes. With a Johnny..

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Mine also does not have a label. I don't mind at all, in fact i think this was standard around the late seventies. I have looked very closely at fotos of other late seventies Johnny Smith guitars, have seen quite a few where no label could be seen through the f-hole. It appears as if at the time with the format .....
    Johnny Smith
    Made in USA
    XXXXXXXX
    .... on the back of the headstock there were no labels inside.
    thanks Jazznote. Even there was supposed to be a label, it doesn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-img20161003_19104556-jpg
    Just had to dig out this album. The first time I'd ever seen or heard of that guitar !
    Been faking ' Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most ' ever since !
    Enjoy yours Joe !!
    Great album Dennis. He has some Beatles stuff on that one. I did realize that was a GJS in the cover.
    Thanks buddy.
    Last edited by Max405; 10-03-2016 at 09:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Tal and a Wes. With a Johnny..

Three great players and three great guitars. Gibson's rule!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah.
    I know I need to branch out a bit and find appreciation in Tal and Wes. They are favorite players for a lot of people for many reasons. I need to learn why.
    One other player who I've listened to and am blown away by is Jimmy Raney. Such a gifted player.
    I will learn the art of bebop. I hope one day, I can feel it and play it like you guys do.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Wow, Joe. Great story! Nice to see an extended positive exchange on this forum. Your playing sounds great and makes me want a Jimmy Smith! Speaking from experience, it sure doesn't sound like my L5 Wes or my 175. Guess I have to start shopping, again!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah.
    I know I need to branch out a bit and find appreciation in Tal and Wes. They are favorite players for a lot of people for many reasons. I need to learn why.
    One other player who I've listened to and am blown away by is Jimmy Raney. Such a gifted player.
    I will learn the art of bebop. I hope one day, I can feel it and play it like you guys do.
    Joe D.
    Hey Joe
    There is a little group of us who are using the Jimmy Raney volume of the Aebersold play-a-long set, and learning the solos in there. We just learn 4 measures a week, so it hasn't been burdensome. We just finished our 3rd solo and in a couple weeks will start on another one.

It's a very low-key, low-pressure little group, about 4-5 of us, and you might find that a congenial atmosphere to dabble in the Giant Of Louisville. Just hearing Jimmy Raney's lines coming out of my amp has been a gas!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah.
    Joe D.
    yeah Joe, you really need to expand your listening/playing past set pieces and get into those guys, a whole 'nuther world.
    I get the vibe you're a perfectionist in most things, which makes sense if you dig JS and appreciate Raney, they were pretty darn perfect in their playing. but so was Wes, and though not 'perfect' there's a multitude of great players to listen to and learn from, like Tal, Barney, etc....

User Info Menu

Joe, I know you love the Mosaic box set with Johnny Smith's Roost stuff (Who wouldn't?). Check out the Mosaic box set on Tal Farlow (It is his 50's stuff on Verve). Great playing by "The octopus".

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Verv.../dp/B0002O3894

Mosaic never did a box set on Wes, but there is an amazing box set for him that I strongly suggest you get:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Rive.../dp/B000000ZG6

I know you love Joe Pass (Herb Ellis once told me that Joe Pass was the greatest guitarist of all time. Who are we to disagree?). If you do not have the Mosaic box set on Joe, you need to get it. It is still available from Mosaic, but they are running out.

Mosaic Records - The Complete Pacific Jazz Joe Pass Quartet Sessions (#207)

User Info Menu

(Herb Ellis once told me that Joe Pass was the greatest guitarist of all time. Who are we to disagree?).
    Yes, Herb was in awe of Joe Pass. When i was discussing with him how jazz musicians can survive, the topic of teaching came up, and Herb mentioned that "EVEN Joe Pass has to teach in order to make a living"

User Info Menu

Oh yeah.
    Joe D.
    Joe, my introduction to Bebop was JR +Stan Getz at a very young age
    and many years before I could afford or play an instrument, Stan Getz
    quoted JR as his Bebop mentor.Their stuff was much too difficult for
    a beginner . For an accomplished player it is still a challenge the same
    applies to Joe Pass' material , Sounds simple but it sure ain't .
    You would benefit by following Lawson Stone's advice and acquire the
    Aebersold Play along of Jimmy Raney's Standard /Bop tunes.
    Knowing your.dedication and persistence you will soon get in that groove
    I've had that book for years , but still find it difficult to play , sigh.

Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Yes, Herb was in awe of Joe Pass. When i was discussing with him how jazz musicians can survive, the topic of teaching came up, and Herb mentioned that "EVEN Joe Pass has to teach in order to make a living"
    Its amazing that some of you guys have actually talked with these legends.
    They were regular people too I guess.

Thanks JazzNote

Joe, I know you love the Mosaic box set with Johnny Smith's Roost stuff (Who wouldn't?). Check out the Mosaic box set on Tal Farlow (It is his 50's stuff on Verve). Great playing by "The octopus".

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Verv.../dp/B0002O3894

Mosaic never did a box set on Wes, but there is an amazing box set for him that I strongly suggest you get:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Rive.../dp/B000000ZG6

I know you love Joe Pass (Herb Ellis once told me that Joe Pass was the greatest guitarist of all time. Who are we to disagree?). If you do not have the Mosaic box set on Joe, you need to get it. It is still available from Mosaic, but they are running out.

Mosaic Records - The Complete Pacific Jazz Joe Pass Quartet Sessions (#207)
    Wow, thanks SS. I got some homework to do. Thanks for the material. That's awesome! I am working on the sheet music you gave me from Joe Pass. Sheet music just sticks so much better for me than tab. Especially the way that was written. It had which finger to use next to the notes on the staff. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    yeah Joe, you really need to expand your listening/playing past set pieces and get into those guys, a whole 'nuther world.
    I get the vibe you're a perfectionist in most things, which makes sense if you dig JS and appreciate Raney, they were pretty darn perfect in their playing. but so was Wes, and though not 'perfect' there's a multitude of great players to listen to and learn from, like Tal, Barney, etc....
    I will use this as incentive to get better and branch out.
    Now that I got the setup dialed in on my dream-baby-guitar, wait till you hear Minor Detail. Oh what a guitar..

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hey Joe
    There is a little group of us who are using the Jimmy Raney volume of the Aebersold play-a-long set, and learning the solos in there. We just learn 4 measures a week, so it hasn't been burdensome. We just finished our 3rd solo and in a couple weeks will start on another one.

It's a very low-key, low-pressure little group, about 4-5 of us, and you might find that a congenial atmosphere to dabble in the Giant Of Louisville. Just hearing Jimmy Raney's lines coming out of my amp has been a gas!
    Oh, I forgot he was from Louisville. Its so sad that he lost his hearing and left us so early. Thank goodness for technology. Recordings of our hero's keep them alive in our thoughts and our hearts. And now digital recordings will last a lot longer. The musicians who lived and recorded really never die. Their brilliance lives on forever.
    Way to go Lawson.

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Wow, Joe. Great story! Nice to see an extended positive exchange on this forum. Your playing sounds great and makes me want a Johnny Smith! Speaking from experience, it sure doesn't sound like my L5 Wes or my 175. Guess I have to start shopping, again!
    Yebdox, Positive is the only way to be. Especially when it comes to our passion. I wont allow anything negative to enter anything Guitar related in my life. Because, this is what I enjoy and it keeps me happy. There is enough other crap going on in the rest of our lives that we are forced to deal with. Not with our Jazz Guitars. This is our Utopia.

User Info Menu

Also don't forget Grant Green's Blue Note recordings. 1960-1964. Swinging stuff. Jimmy Raney and Tal's styles were very similar with Tal being faster and Jimmy cleaner. Serious chops.