The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 134

User Info Menu

What do you prefer, a carved or laminate top.

I realize there may be no "better".

That said, I was comparing guitars from Peerless and one from Painter. The top of line Cremona from Peerless has a carved maple top. It's twice the price of the similar Jazz City which has a pressed maple top. It occurred to me I'm not sure how tops are usually constructed. I assume that there must be advantages to having a carved top if one is going to pay $1K more for it (granted I'm sure the Cremona has a few other advantages like ebony fingerboard).

I also was considering a painter P350 which has a custom laminated maple top.

I'm not sure exactly what pressed means for that matter. Could it be a steam pressed solid piece of wood ? It must be cheaper to construct but does it have big flaws?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

better acoustic tone. that's the biggie. if it's a deep jazzbox with a floating pickup, a carved solid top sounds great, especially unplugged.

pressed is a buzzword for laminate. they feed back less than a carved top. if most of your playing will be plugged in and well amplified, save yourself the hassle and $ and go laminate.

if you love playing acoustic and use amplification sparingly, if you can swing it, go carved.

User Info Menu

Yes, better acoustic tone, but still. In a performance, when do you EVER play completely acoustically with an archtop? It's meant to be plugged into an amp. It's NOT a classical/nylon/dreadnaught guitar that's meant to be played acoustically. The acoustic quality of the instrument is best measured PLUGGED IN. Its a misnomer to say that you would play it acoustically--acoustically/unplugged, it doesn't measure up to a classical or dreadnaught guitar.

You would almost always partner the carved archtop with the floating pickup with an amp, and the sound is the most deep, rich, tone in which the acoustic qualities of the wood come through the AMP.

User Info Menu

i dunno, NSJ. i've heard jim hall do a lot of stuff where he'll roll the volume off completely and comp.

now granted, the tone isn't a dreadnaught, but who likes that tone? BOOORRRRRIIIIIINNNNGGGGG!

i'm kidding a little bit. but what i was getting at in my post is if the guitar is heavily amplified, the difference becomes very small...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    if the guitar is heavily amplified, the difference becomes very small...
    This is something that I totally agree with. I can't tell you how many discussions I've had about this, but the bottom line is that with a Digitech GNX4 or similar (heck, often with just a good amp eq and effects) you can manipulate the sound of a guitar rather easily.

However, with that said: quality is built from the ground up: guitarist -> guitar -> amp etc.

User Info Menu

I'm glad you sited Jim Hall and how he comps with the volume low. Originally the carved top was made to be played acoustically in a big band setting. If you like to mike an achtop, you definitely want the carved top and it's carved in tone (if the luthier really knows how to carve one up)

However, with that said: quality is built from the ground up: guitarist -> guitar -> amp etc.[/quote]

I can't argue with that, although the first one is the hardest. I'm certain my guitar is not limiting me at this point. But they are still fun to play.

That said, I'm not confused about the Peerless specs. They say the Jazz City model is solid maple and the cremona is solid carved maple. I wonder now if pressed is somehow different than laminate ?

Found this answer in an email from Peerless.
    >Cremona is with carved top which was made from 30mm wood and Jazz City is pressed top by 5mm wood. Use ebony on Cremona and rosewood on Jazz City.

It does at least sound like the cheaper guitar has it's top pressed into shape. How pressing and carving make a difference, I don't know. It does seem obvious that carving would use a hell of a lot more wood.

I assume carved maple would still be quite feedback resistant if you were going to play some blues.

User Info Menu

Of course, Jim has always played a laminate with a built-in pickup, NOT a carved top. (ES-175, D'aQuisto, Sadowsky Jim Hall).

As the owner of a Sadowsky Hall and a Henriksen amp, I can tell you that it has an incredible acoustic sound, and you definitely want to play it through the amp, even at low volume. The great thing about it is, you can crank up the volume and it still sounds like an acoustically inclined guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ben2e
    Found this answer in an email from Peerless.
    >Cremona is with carved top which was made from 30mm wood and Jazz City is pressed top by 5mm wood. Use ebony on Cremona and rosewood on Jazz City.

It does at least sound like the cheaper guitar has it's top pressed into shape. How pressing and carving make a difference, I don't know. It does seem obvious that carving would use a hell of a lot more wood.

I assume carved maple would still be quite feedback resistant if you were going to play some blues.
    ben, did you read the other posts...we're not lying to ya.

ebony/rosewood biz has got to fretboard, not the top.

pressed means laminate. carved is carved, a solid wood top.

a solid wood top will sound richer acoustically, especially if it is not cut into for a pickup. a solid wood top WILL feed back more amplified. solid wood vibrates more, which means more sound, but also, a greater chance for feedback.

there is nothing wrong with a laminate top for a jazz guitar. see the above jim hall related comments.

whatever you end up with, remember that these are jazz archtops. the sound will be focused, midrangey, and with a quick decay. it will not sound like a dred or a jumbo, not even close. your bluegrass picking neighbors would hate it, likely. i highly suggest checking out a jim hall record called "commitment" where jim plays his guitar amplified and unamplified on several tracks, so you can hear the difference. (it's a great jazz record too, btw)

as for witholding feedback for the blues, that depends on where you like your blues from...chicago blues--uh uh. i wouldn't even go there with a hollow body, really, i'd stick to a semi hollow or a solid body for the loud stuff...acoustic blues? sure, but again, it ain't gonna sound likea drednaught.

i hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Pressed does not always mean laminate. There is a process involving a molded press and steam that will press a solid top into shape without the use of acoustic plates. IIRC the Vestax DA New Yorkers all had pressed solid wood tops, not laminate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    better acoustic tone. that's the biggie. if it's a deep jazzbox with a floating pickup, a carved solid top sounds great, especially unplugged.

pressed is a buzzword for laminate. they feed back less than a carved top. if most of your playing will be plugged in and well amplified, save yourself the hassle and $ and go laminate.

if you love playing acoustic and use amplification sparingly, if you can swing it, go carved.
    I agree. I find a laminated top easier to work with and dig the sound. The ES-175 (which is a laminate) is what I like.

In my experience, a solid top with a floater (like an Eastman 805ce I used to have) doesn't work well when amplified to the gigable volumes I do. Yet, acoustically it sounded great and loud enough where I could jam amp-less in a drum-less trio and be heard. Low volume amplified was fine too. It was just when I got to mid volume when I started to have feedback issues. And then forget higher volume situations. But everyone's volume level necessities could be different.

User Info Menu

to the best of my knowledge there are generally four types of top:

laminate - pressed
    solid wood - pressed
    solid wood - machine carved
    solid wood - hand carved

In my experience, hand carved is acoustically livelier, more detailed and perhaps brighter than laminate, but laminate has a darker smokier sound that I personally prefer. Of course the neck and fingerboard woods affect this too, whether the pickup is built-in, type of bridge, etc etc ...
    Last edited by Bill C; 07-21-2009 at 04:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, Laminates are easier to take care of except they do crack after awhile. A Carved top must be taken care of very closely you need a humidifier the top might collapses, A good Laminate can sound just as good as a Good Carved top while Laminates are thousands of dollars cheaper(Sometimes) But if you find a reasonably priced Carved top go for it (But the chance of that is very Slim) I like Laminates, and carved tops but if you like the sound of Late 60's 70's Joe Pass, and almost EVERY Herb Ellis Album, and even Pat Metheney go for the Laminate if you like that sound but if you like a sound like Wes Montgomery go for a Carved, I can't tell you what to buy I don't want to I am just saying that Laminates are usually easier to take care of than a Carved to you have to play them for the sound and see which one you like better thats the way to choose a guitar not by asking some people on the internet don't get me wrong I think this is wonderful. I know you wanted to know the Pro's and CON'S But that is mostly up to you All i can tell you is what I think and how to maintain both

User Info Menu

Even with laminates, you can have a top cave in. Lots of 175s have had this issue. All are made from wood, so they are suseptible to changes in temp and humidity. However, as you point out, lams are much more stable, and less finicky, plus they resist feedback better.

Which is why guys like Jim Hall, Pat Martino, Pat Metheny, John Pizzarelli, Jimmy Bruno, Corey Christiansen, Dave Stryker, John Scofield, et al, all tour with lams. There are still a few holdouts like Tuck, Jack Wilkins, Bucky Pizzarelli, Howard Alden, Anthony Wilson, etc, who are playing solid wood guitars.

User Info Menu

No one's mentioned this yet, so it might be worth the trouble.

If you go for the carved solid top, you're going to have to be hyper aware of humidity levels in your room, in your case, and wherever you put it.

It's got to be kept between 45-55% humidity or you're going to get cracks.
    When the humidity goes up, your arched top will rise a bit. When the humidity goes down the top will sink. If it does either too much, the wood will start to crack. And even if you don't get a crack, both of those will affect tuning. When the top goes down all strings will go flat; when the top goes up, the strings go sharp.

Laminate is much more forgiving and travels much better.

I love my solid carved but it takes a bit of effort a lot more care than any other guitar I've ever owned. It's quite sensitive. If you live somewhere with warm summers and cold winters where you have to use heating, it's definitely an issue worth thinking about.

Silly me. Just read the thread again closely and someone did just mention this very issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterk1
    Man I'm so glad you brought this up. I've never heard of that and I would definitely have bought a carved top one day, while humidity varies between 35 and 75, sometimes even 80% in my appartment. I guess I'll stick with laminates as long as I live here. Holy cow, that's some news!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterk1
    If you go for the carved solid top, you're going to have to be hyper aware of humidity levels in your room, in your case, and wherever you put it.

The range of "safe humidity" is actually a bit wider than that.

Humidity chart from Kevin Ryan's web site:

Advantage of Carved Top vs Laminate-humidity-chart-jpg

Too low humidity is more a problem with cracking that too high.
    Humidity at my house gets up to 70%....no cracking problems.

Archie Guest
    In winter, get a cheap room humidifier, and a hygrometer, and keep it in the room where you keep your guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Perhaps
    The range of "safe humidity" is actually a bit wider than that.
    It's good to hear about that it's more tolerant than what I quoted above. My numbers are what are usually given on the info sheets that some guitar makers give out with the instruments.

Mind you...Kevin Ryan's site looks like it's all flat-tops. I could be wrong here, but I think arch-tops are a little more vulnerable because the top is normally curved, so you want to be more a little cautious than that chart.

I live up in Canada, and once the heating starts up for the winter, humidity in my house goes down to about 20% ...definitely dangerous. And the scary thing is that I didn't do anything at all about it or think there was any problem to worry about for the first winter. It was just an off the cuff question I asked the luthier by e-mail one day that led to me being informed.

Humidifying the entire apartment or house when it gets that low is kind of difficult, so I keep three small sponges (Dampits) inside my case/guitar and always store the guitar in the case when It's not being played. And a hygrometer inside the case to constantly monitor the level.
    Last edited by peterk1; 07-23-2009 at 08:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    In winter, get a cheap room humidifier, and a hygrometer, and keep it in the room where you keep your guitars.
    Yeah, this is what I do in the winter. It is not just about the wood though. You have other materials on the guitar that are NOT affected by humidity, like the metal frets, plastic binding, etc. While the wood will move from humidity changes, these other materials will not.

Due to this, we see frets and binding pop on guitars, and is why you get finish cracks over time. Flat tops are just as susceptible to humidity changes as archtops. If you check out classical sites, those guys are just as finicky about their guitars as we are.

User Info Menu

To the person who said if you're going to play plugged in, get a laminate and save $, I would disagree on one point.

I've often found a lot of the "cheaper" laminates lack the construction quality of some solid carved archtops. For example, the Hohners and D'angelico's I've played really felt like an imported, cheap instrument. I would pay a few hundred more for a used Eastman just because it FELT so much better...but I guess that's all subjective.

User Info Menu

I wonder if different woods like spruce, maple and mahogany crack as easily or is one of them more likely to crack under bad humidity conditions than another?

User Info Menu

As far as carved MAPLE, it is really not a tonewood used in making stringed instrument tops. Maple would be strong and pretty, but there is nothing warm about the sound. Think drum shells. The best sounding acoustic archtop would have a very lightweight carved spruce top, but the minute you go electric, it won't sound superior to a good laminate top. Check out Carvin's carved maple archtops. Too bad they don't have a carved back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    As far as carved MAPLE, it is really not a tonewood used in making stringed instrument tops. Maple would be strong and pretty, but there is nothing warm about the sound. Think drum shells. The best sounding acoustic archtop would have a very lightweight carved spruce top, but the minute you go electric, it won't sound superior to a good laminate top. Check out Carvin's carved maple archtops. Too bad they don't have a carved back.
    What about the Heritage H575 - carved maple top and back, solid maple rim? It seems that it is pretty warm sounding. Would it be more robust and less likely to crack than let's say a Gibson L-4 CES mahogany (spruce top, mahogany back and rim)?