The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 97

User Info Menu

Again not jazz--I don't know how cheap they are, but here's JJ Cale playing a Casio (!):

Master Guitarists Playing Cheap Guitars-j-j-_cale-jpg

And David Crosby playing a Strat copy:

Master Guitarists Playing Cheap Guitars-crosby-real-opener-full-corbis-650-80-jpg

I don't know anything about these guitars, but they don't look at legit as the original. Cale playing a Strat I get, but Crosby should be playing acoustic or at least a Tele. He doesn't seem like a Strat guy at all.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dave Crosby's Anderson Drop Top Classic is not a cheap S type at its $3500 street price. Well made guitars used by lots of pros.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Dave Crosby's Anderson Drop Top Classic is not a cheap S type at its $3500 street price. Well made guitars used by lots of pros.
    OK thanks for the info - I was unable to find anything about his guitar online.

I will say this though - that headstock does not impress. And I still don't think of him as a Strat guy.

User Info Menu

JJ Cale wearing a silk shirt? I thought that was against the law in Oklahoma.

User Info Menu

Since we're talking JJ Cale - he also used a Danelectro Convertible a lot:

Master Guitarists Playing Cheap Guitars-jj-cale-jpg

and not to forget that his guitar of choice for years was a Harmony Sovereign (modified to amost being unreconizable)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Adam Rogers used to play a Tom Anderson:

Last edited by Fidelcaster; 09-19-2016 at 03:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Ed Cherry on an Ibanez Artcore

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Ed Cherry on an Ibanez Artcore
    That's an AF105F. I have the AF105NT with two set pickups. It's very versatile and comfortable. For practice or quieter venues I'll usually use a carved archtop, but if the volume will be higher (e.g., big band) or I don't want to put a delicate guitar at risk (e.g., outdoor gigs) I'll usually bring the Ibanez. I've had no buyer's remorse about that guitar.
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-08-2016 at 11:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Hagstrom HJ-600, I think.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread for me in that I have had lessons from a couple of the guys featured - Esmond Selwyn (long time ago before I could really play much, completely over my head; he brought a different vintage Gibson to each of the 2 lessons that I took) and Dave Cliff. Me playing my nice Vestax D'Angelico, him on a cheap dusty Tanglewood (Cort in the USA I believe) - guess who sounded better. Again, I know that Dave has a nice old ES175, but every time I saw him for lessons or live, he was using the Tanglewood, which he told me was actually his son's guitar.

Clearly, it's all about the archer, not the bow and arrow.........

User Info Menu

My favourite quote on this topic

: Felder’s first guitar, a Mexican Stratocaster purchased for $250 when he was 13, remains his go-to. (At age 85, Rina Ben-Yehuda continues her work as a physical therapist; among her clients was the late Paul Motian.) “Jazz is one part high art, one part folk art,” he says, “and I don’t know how much sense it makes to make folk art on a $15,000 instrument.”

http://jazztimes.com/articles/122918...ahead-of-chops

User Info Menu

My favourite quote on this topic

: Felder’s first guitar, a Mexican Stratocaster purchased for $250 when he was 13, remains his go-to. (At age 85, Rina Ben-Yehuda continues her work as a physical therapist; among her clients was the late Paul Motian.) “Jazz is one part high art, one part folk art,” he says, “and I don’t know how much sense it makes to make folk art on a $15,000 instrument.”

http://jazztimes.com/articles/122918...head-of-chopst

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Interesting thread for me in that I have had lessons from a couple of the guys featured - Esmond Selwyn (long time ago before I could really play much, completely over my head; he brought a different vintage Gibson to each of the 2 lessons that I took) and Dave Cliff. Me playing my nice Vestax D'Angelico, him on a cheap dusty Tanglewood (Cort in the USA I believe) - guess who sounded better. Again, I know that Dave has a nice old ES175, but every time I saw him for lessons or live, he was using the Tanglewood, which he told me was actually his son's guitar.

Clearly, it's all about the archer, not the bow and arrow.........
    He played the Tanglewood when I went for a lesson.

User Info Menu

I have a Tanglewood parlour guitar, btw. Solid mahogany top and back. One piece mahogany neck with a slotted headstock. Really nice and nice sounding for a pittance.

User Info Menu

Unbelievable...

3 Pages already and nobody mentioned Mr. Goodchord

User Info Menu

How about Earl Slick (albiet a non-Jazzer...) on a Peavey!

User Info Menu

Late to the party. Jimmy Rosenberg playing a "Phoenix" archtop.

I could be wrong and this could be a pricey Epiphone so correct me if I'm wrong, but Mark Elf:

John Pisano on his pricier Eastman and John Chiodini on his Epiphone Joe Pass:

Last edited by RomaSoul; 01-09-2017 at 04:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Gray Sargent, Tony Bennett's guitarist, and his Godin Kingpin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    Adam Rogers used to play a Tom Anderson:

Is that really 2005? Cuz it sure looks a lot like 1985!

User Info Menu

I'd like to start a new anti-gear thread. Videos of guitar players sounding great on affordable instruments (i.e. sub $1000). Doesn't necessarily need to be their main instrument.

1980's Fender Bullet (so I'm told)

Some or all of the 1980 Fender Bullets are USA made and sell for 7-$800 on the bay, not real expensive but I'd love to own one! In fact, a few years back I lost out on buying one for $75 bucks b/c I didn't know they were USA made, therefore I didn't go look at it. A friend of mine bought it, that's how I found out they are USA made and quite collectible. Made me feel shitty! Great subject tho!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewPat
    I'm sure Jim Mullen plays a cheap aria... Anyone confirm this ?
    So do I!
    I'll never sound like Jim.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead
    That Dave Cliff vid is amazing! Never heard of him before. Looks like a Tele neck on a Stratish body. Amazing chops with no use of the pinky for the solo, fun player to watch and listen to!! Off to find more, thanks for posting!!
    The very first jazz-guitar seminar I've attended was with Dave Cliff (1980 or so) in Brighton England! Beautiful guitarist and person, fond memories of the experience. I was 20 years old, I had a cheap Welson (made in Italy) SG copy and had only recently discovered the beauty of Jazz (coming fom Rock and, especially, "Prog" as it's called nowdays, being a huge fan of Allan Holdsworth in those days... still love Allan's playing, anyway).

Any chance of any of the older JGF members attending that workshop?

User Info Menu

I see a few guys touring with major acts playing Epiphones or cheaper Guilds. Not sure that’d qualify though.

Seems like every artist these days no matter how big has a pretty good axe. I am astounded that even some mid-level artists tour with 15 guitars—Gibsons, Martins, etc.

Not sure what this means. Maybe they’re living on ramen in the rented tour bus.

User Info Menu

He played the Tanglewood when I went for a lesson.
    Is this it?

I have to say the Fender Bullet sounds just like I would have expected it to. Leaving aside the quality of the playing, it sounds thin. Is it that he just couldn't be bothered to play his archtop?

User Info Menu

No, that is a Takamine.

My first guitar (1979) is a Takamine F-340S. It was basically a D-18 knock off; in those years, the headstock and the decal were made to look as close to Martin's as possible. Nowadays, there are referred to as "lawsuit guitars" although I think, in fact, there was no actual lawsuit. Let's just say it's not a guitar that would give Martin a run for its money tonally to most people, but I've owned it for 44 years and it's been good enough to keep me from buying another flattop. It sounds nice enough, it plays very well and it's been a good guitar for the $200 I spent for it. I suppose because I learned how to find my sound on that instrument, I really haven't liked other flattops as well including real Martins. In the past couple of years, I put Martin Retro Monel strings on it and have really, really liked those.

I also have a Takamine EC-132C classical. I bought it to gig with for bossa tunes with my old quintet. I will be honest, the under saddle piezo pickup sound on classical guitar pretty much sucks IMHO and that's what this instrument is. It did not see much stage time as a result. I have a Rick Turner Renaissance RN-6, which is basically a nylon string crossed with an ES-335 and a Telecaster, and it sounds SO much better amplified. And no feedback. However, the Takamine has a pretty good acoustic sound, a great neck, outstanding fretwork and plays excellently. So it keeps its place in my rotation of guitars, primarily for sitting on my front porch and playing.