The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 97

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Epi ES175 Premium, for sure!

But through a BOOGIE it is revealed on You Tube. Tends to make a difference? Thread on Amp or Guitar - which makes the greatest difference comes to mind

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wim Overgaauw on a ( I think) Kay Red Devil in 1960. They certainly knew how to make a pick guard statement.

Not exactly playing like a Master here, but in a few years or two he was up there. For those who don't know, he was the teacher of Jesse van Ruller and Martijn van Itersen. World-class Dutch players...

What a good thread this is.

User Info Menu

... here is a link to a recent concert where Birelli is playing the cheapo strat - even in a more traditional gypsy context:

and here in a more straight ahead environment

... I think he sounds really good. Looks like a twin reverb to me in the background.
    Last edited by Frank67; 09-18-2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: wrong YouTube link

User Info Menu

Yes he was playing very much a GJ gig with that guitar when I saw him - acoustic rhythm guitar etc.

EDIT: it was the band in the first video + sax. That bass player is a BEAST.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    But through a BOOGIE it is revealed on You Tube. Tends to make a difference? Thread on Amp or Guitar - which makes the greatest difference comes to mind
    I'd always get a good amp over a good guitar if I had to choose one of the two. Guitar pickups etc can always be upgraded also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Rory Hoffman playing a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin:

and an Eastman AR810:

And here is on a not so cheap guitar:

User Info Menu

Enver Izmaylov playing an Aria Pro II (a "Thor Sound" I believe, a viking guitar if there ever was one):

And here playing with Bobby McFerrin:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'd always get a good amp over a good guitar if I had to choose one of the two. Guitar pickups etc can always be upgraded also.
    My preference as well ... I've played a Les Paul through a Gorilla, I know whereof I speak.

User Info Menu

I really liked his tone on this tune - this was pretty much the first Kurt I heard...
    He's great, if you can stand a more modern approach He has excellent records and youtube clips (on more expensive axes), keep digging!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    He's great, if you can stand a more modern approach He has excellent records and youtube clips (on more expensive axes), keep digging!
    this was the first Kurt I heard in 2005 ;-) It was on a bootleg - I think I hadn't discovered youtube yet.

EDIT: Wait does that make me a hipster? :-) Or just an old fart?
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-18-2016 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

---

User Info Menu

this was the first Kurt I heard in 2005 ;-) It was on a bootleg - I think I hadn't discovered youtube yet.

EDIT: Wait does that make me a hipster? :-) Or just an old fart?
    Oh sorry, Christianm - my bad! Well I heard the same bootleg a long time ago too, so which one you are I guess I'm too

User Info Menu

Oh sorry, Christianm - my bad! Well I heard the same bootleg a long time ago too, so which one you are I guess I'm too
    Yeah it's always been Kurt's live stuff that hooked me. I often find his playing on the albums to be a bit subdued in comparison...

User Info Menu

Yeah it's always been Kurt's live stuff that hooked me. I often find his playing on the albums to be a bit subdued in comparison...
    I agree, but to me that's true for any player. Every time I hear a good live record, the studio ones automatically become boring... that's why I love Kurt's "The Remedy", because it's live - his best record so far. As another example, I have some of his bootlegs from VV - the week his quartet spent there before recording "Star of Jupiter". Their playing is SO much better than the record...

User Info Menu

Another non-jazz guitarist: Jimmie Vaughan plays his MIM Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex Strat. Only $850.00.

User Info Menu

Chris,
    The Wim Overgaauw clip reminds me of Billy Bean's
    "The Trio", good stuff. The clips of Wes are great
    he was actually staying at Cedric West's house
    In 1965 ( before my time I'm afraid, and yours)
    I'm glad this thread has developed.

User Info Menu

I love Kurt's "The Remedy", because it's live - his best record so far.
    I haven't heard all of his records, but it's my favorite too. So good!

User Info Menu

Wouldn't this apply to anyone playing a Fender? They weren't always stupid expensive.

I remember the bullet rod adjuster CBS getting me laughed at.

User Info Menu

Matt Otten, playing Estate in one of his early youtube loops featuring his Epiphone Joe Pass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Wouldn't this apply to anyone playing a Fender? They weren't always stupid expensive.

I remember the bullet rod adjuster CBS getting me laughed at.
    Possibly, but I think there's a sliding scale. Solid bodies are always going to be cheaper than comparable archtops for obvious reasons. I think if it's a solid body guitar, it should be one of the budget marques. MIM Fender is pushing it :-)
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-18-2016 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree, but to me that's true for any player. Every time I hear a good live record, the studio ones automatically become boring... that's why I love Kurt's "The Remedy", because it's live - his best record so far. As another example, I have some of his bootlegs from VV - the week his quartet spent there before recording "Star of Jupiter". Their playing is SO much better than the record...
    I do think some jazz players are very good at the studio thing tho - I would describe Peter Bernstein as a relatively consistent player for example.

But with Kurt there's such a mismatch - I was completely unprepared for how good he was live when I saw him, despite listening to that bootleg. He was playing mostly standards as well, and I have to say most jazz guitarists are far stronger on standards than originals, too, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-18-2016 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Matt Otten, playing Estate in one of his early youtube loops featuring his Epiphone Joe Pass

I wanted to find out what was downstream from the guitar and ended up on his webpage. His comments are consistent with this thread's theme. He claims to use direct into computer recording a lot and mentions only two amps: A Sessionette 75 for gigs, and a ZT Club for unclear settings (maybe just an endorsement).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I wanted to find out what was downstream from the guitar and ended up on his webpage. His comments are consistent with this thread's theme. He claims to use direct into computer recording a lot and mentions only two amps: A Sessionette 75 for gigs, and a ZT Club for unclear settings (maybe just an endorsement).
    Whatever it is, it's got his signature great tone, even though his recordings have vastly improved since '08. I dig his intro, voicings, and tempo, that laid the foundation for a groovin' loop. A little different Estate.

User Info Menu

I do think some jazz players are very good at the studio thing tho - I would describe Peter Bernstein as a relatively consistent player for example.

But with Kurt there's such a mismatch - I was completely unprepared for how good he was live when I saw him, despite listening to that bootleg. He was playing mostly standards as well, and I have to say most jazz guitarists are far stronger on standards than originals, too, for obvious reasons.
    You're right! I only saw Kurt live once, with OJM and it was incredible.. one day I would love to see the standards trio on the VV!

User Info Menu

What's this?! No Ibanez PM35, PM2AA, or Epi Broadway, or Loar LH600 or LH650 yet? C'mon guys, you're slippin'...must be becuz it's the weekend?

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 09-18-2016 at 07:24 PM.