The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 57

User Info Menu

Danelectro "Dead On 58" Longhorn Bass in badass black, on my way from Ivor Mairants's shop in London, at a great price. Look at those knobs

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-image-png

I haven't played bass for a few years, but enjoyed doing so. This is a cheap and cool way back in. The string length is short, just shy of 30", which is fine by me. I'll need a bass amp, though, something small enough for the living room. So I'm thinking of the Phil Jones Double 4, which I'm told gives a great deep sound, despite its size.

Lots of of walking to backing tracks coming up!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tick tock heaven!

Awesome--David Gray played a 6-string Longhorn and his bass player a Longhorn bass when he toured last year. They both have a punchy chimey or "acoustic" sound.

BTW, the Fender Rumble 100 is a great bargain--lots of power in an unbelievably light package, very inexpensive.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 09-07-2016 at 09:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Various sounds on display on YouTube, but not by jazz players. I'm sure I'll get something out of it I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

I was always afraid I'd bust off one of the horns. I was a Hofner guy.

User Info Menu

I have one too and I love the smaller size, and the light weight! (Big plus there) Mine looks similar to the one in the video, I like it but I may get a black one someday.

User Info Menu

cool..danos are a lot of fun..easy to play and lightweight..i like'm strung with short scale flatwounds..they really thump and sound very much like an upright

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Cheers.

Who sells short-scale flatwounds?

EDIT: These guys do: http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Sho...ngs_c_740.html
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 09-07-2016 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Ordered the TI's short-scale.

User Info Menu

i know the ghs ss work well on the dano as far as fit..the length of the string can be an issue..i think the ti's which are really made for hofner basses may be a bit long..the dano tuning pegs have small holes so only the silk will pass through..if you get to the wound part of the string it wont pass through

cheers

User Info Menu

Ah, too late. We shall see! Thanks for the advice, it might yet prove useful!

User Info Menu

when keith richards was putting together the chuck berry hail hail show and film, he wanted a bass player that could nail that old (upright) chess/willie dixon sound..he turned to the great dano wielding bassist of nrbq-joey spampinato...one of the greatest in the pocket/groove players of all time.. used a dano u1 dolphin bass in nrbq days, but has longhorn & shorthorn too...strung with flatwounds!

heres w longhorn

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-07-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Rob,

These are a ton of fun. I love the Dano short-scale bass. My wife is taking up bass...I'm guiding her in that direction. They are light, toneful, and just all-around good.

I've played the baritone for years. The 4-string is also a delight.

User Info Menu

Neatomic - great to know. Love that Willie Dixon sound! I'd be amazed and delighted if I got anything close to that.

Greentone - fun is what I'm hoping for. Good luck to Mrs Greentone she could be useful to you. I might try the baritone some day.

Really looking forward to its arrival. The Phil Jones Double 4 is also on its way.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 09-07-2016 at 03:50 PM.

User Info Menu

ps-another cool feature of the danos is tho they have easy play short scale necks, they have two octave /24 fret fingerboards..and easy access to the high notes.. esp on longhorn

cheers

and of course your fellow-

late great jb..first cream bass

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-jack_bruce-jpg
    Last edited by Dirk; 06-01-2022 at 03:56 AM.

User Info Menu

I've always loved Jack Bruce - great singer, songwriter, bass player. I did know that he played a Dano many years ago, but guess I forgot. Last I saw he was playing fretless. Hmm...a fretless Dano. Ever been one?

User Info Menu

yeah he played a fretless warwick for years..then at the end of his career (ala the cream reunion) he was using the old gibson violin bass..the eb-1...incredible talent

and no, never saw fretless dano

entwistle used longhorn early on as well..my generation solo!

cheers

User Info Menu

Well, it certainly sounds like I'm in good company!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

entwistle used longhorn early on as well..my generation solo!
    I always assumed it was a Rickenbacker!

User Info Menu

funny entwistle dano story is that he'd break a string on the longhorn and not be able to find a proper replacement, so he'd buy a whole new dano bass!!....as i wrote ^, dano's and particularly longhorns have some idiosyncrasies regarding string length...

original dano basses also used very light roundwound strings..one of the first manufacturers to issue basses with rounds..but super light as well...so entwistle just killed 'em

quest for proper strings led him to howe's rotosound strings, which of course he wound up having long career with..

pic of je with fender bass vi, french horn and dano longhorn!...incidentally jack bruce also used bass vi and longhorn in cream

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-66-jae-inbed-bassiv-danlh-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

It WAS probably easier to find a new DANO bass than to find short-scale strings back then...in the UK.

To Rob: Mrs Greentone wants to play bass in a pop/duo situation with me. She has played keyboards professionally for 35 years, so she has abundant experience delivering the goods. She decided that what I need, at this point, is for someone to underplay bass lines when I am not doing that.

What a great partner. Give that woman a short-scale bass. My Les Paul Bass would have been great, but too heavy on her shoulder, I'm afraid.

User Info Menu

gt- if you like the lp body shape..how about the guild m85 reissue...chambered body/braced top..short scale...sheryl crow uses one

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-newark_street_mainimage_m85bass_side-1500x630-jpg

and less expensive alt is epi allen woody.. ss

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-wr_splash-jpg

or super light (under 5lb) icon hofner club..ss (tina weymouth of talking heads used one)

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-q0703e462-front-large-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Thought about the Hofner that Weymouth used. Showed it to Ms. Greentone, even.

User Info Menu

the icon clubs are nice...under 500$...slap some flats on it..and they thump..super light and comfy neck too...

a friend (& fellow ss bass nut) had one (that i set up and restrung with flats)...which he later sold to get a german made (real) hofner club..i actually preferred the feel of the icon..lighter and more comfy neck

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-07-2016 at 07:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Thought about the Hofner that Weymouth used. Showed it to Ms. Greentone, even.
    What's wrong with a MIM Fender? They're of sound build, readily available, and cheap.

User Info Menu

the classic "fender bass" (as it used to be credited on recordings) ie. the fender precision or jazz bass ..is a long scale 34" bass, not hollow, heavy and has a fairly large neck

of course you can get a short scale fender mustang bass, but it doesn't pack quite the same ooomph

the hollow short scales are a great alternative especially for guitar players or smaller fairer handed

i love a fender jazz bass..but i know those that don't like the scale length and weight

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-07-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: cl-