The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Ibanez George Benson collection-20160822_223734-jpg

Hi,

This is my collection, you can also find a Fender Hitmaker, and an L5 WesMO Customshop is coming quite soon. An early japanese Ibanez GB10 is still missing. I'm obliged to wait until december for that. If i find a GBY2K before, i would try to manage and would make a priority.

I'm rather a collector than a player even if i enjoy so much playing every GB model. I use a Fender GB Hotrod and would like to purchase the GB Twin Reverb.

If someone is a similar collector, or knows a way to find an available GB Masquerade, or wants informations i can give, like which Dugain pick (i'm french) makes enjoy more a GB model i already own, or anything else, don't hesitate!

Charles

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Jazz Guitar Forum, Charles.
    You will find many knowledgeable folks here...and maybe you'll even luck up on an Ibanez GB Y2K Masquerade.

Tim

Thank you so much Tim, it's a pleasure to read you here! i'll discover many passionating and interesting informations here! This masquerade GB guitar model might be enough exceptional to convince each of its owners to keep it all life long! I tell to myself, after having red a web article about the pickups, supposed to be similar with the GB30TH ones, that despite of the different depth of the body, i could consider to find solace in the GB0TH...
    We never know!
    Charles

User Info Menu

Charles, one of my favorite GB models is the rare GB5. I see that you have an even more rare blonde/natural finish GB5.

How about more photos and comments about it?

Ibanez George Benson collection-20160826_205308-jpg

Ibanez George Benson collection-20160826_205236-jpg

Hello Tim!

Sorry for the pictures that sent separately and in the wrong sense, I've sent it from my mobile, it's more simple for me.

The quality is quite bad, because it's in the evening here and the light of the day is decreasing!

I wanted to own a GB5 because i love it also, as much as the other Ibanez GBs.

But knowing that the GB200 relays the main characteristics of it, with being less expensive, i've chosen for the moment to give the priority to the GB200. What's more in roman figures, 200 is written CC, like my initials (Charles Cassegrain).

But it also avoids to get twice a five (a GB and an L) in my too little collection, for my taste! Later, maybe much later, why not!

I've tried the GB200, not the Gb5, and according to what i've heard on you tube, it seemed to be that i prefer a little sound of the GB200. The sound of the GB5, that will i confess different from an amp to an other, seem to have less sustain, despite of the fact that it seems to be more woody sound, closer to the sound of the GB20.

In fact, the blonde guitar of my collection is a GB20 built in april 1979. Its not a GB5NT, i've ever seen a GB5TR in picture, but never a GB5 blonde, as far as i remember, in the last auctions that proposed blonde prototypes coming from the George Benson collection, recently, as a GB200NT or of course a GB12NT.

If there is a problem with the GB20, it's nitrocellulose pickguard, that tarnishes as much the humbucker of the early GB20 as the ones of a lot of early GB10. It seems to be that there is more pictures of GB10NT damaged on the web than of GB10BS.

It also tends to damage the electric threads under the pickguard. I try to keep all original despite of that. the strings can also become stained, so i put tissues between the pickguard and the strings during te day, when i don't see it. I could try to put transparent nail polish, carefully, on the pickguard, and give the metal cover of the pickup to a company i've found in Paris, that can make the metal plating new, as it was brand new. I have the equipment for tin solder. But i don't dare yet. A luthier that i know changed the damaged electric threads and advised me, for the next time, to change the system under the knob that permits to pump the volume. In fact, this GB20 was delivered to me functionating with only one sound level, the maximum.But until now it was not so much a problem, because i don't gig so much.

I love it like it is, i'll be able to show the pickguard with more light, shining with letting show with very clean wrinkels.

I personaly don't like so much the GB20 that have no genuine pickguards, or no more pickguard, forgetting the original electric system.

My friend Luthier gave me a quite good alternative, according to me, that consists in replacing the original pickguard with a wood pickguard, in a quite similar color, and harmless for metal (strings, mic, threads).

The sound is amaizing. Woody, long-sustained, dynamic according to which pick you choose, the delrin one, of Jean-Charles Dugain, is perfect. Attack slap strings deliciously, not too much, just sometimes, when you decide!

The satisfaction i have with the GB20 makes me desire the early GB10!! What i've heard in you tube is great!

The amount of frets is 21 on the GB20, as much as on the early GB10. According to the videos i have watched, the sound of the early GB10 is rather nasal than woody, and that is what i like. it's the sound that is missing in my collection, i think. the sound of the GB5 is great, as for each GB, but with the GB20 i got already this old school flavoured woody sound.

I've found recently a GB5 for sale in northern Europe, with a kind of mahogany sunburst color, wonderfull, priced 2.900 euros and after a quite long time 2.300, but it has been sold before i could even borrow. The pickguard was a little cracked...

Thank you Tim for your post, you know that it will always be a pleasure to answer!

Have a nice day!

Charles

User Info Menu

Wow! Nice collection! Are there 2 GB15s in the back row? If so, how do you like them? I've always wanted to try one.

User Info Menu

Not GB5 doh! No, I meant GB20NT, of course.

That is my favorite. You might have that pickguard traced and copied by a qualified fabricator before it completely rots out, and corrodes all of the wood, metal and electronics near it. And keep it out of the case. The inside of the case is likely also infected with the outgassing. And if you ever consider selling it...well, you have my email.

The natural one is rare. I was quite lucky to find it. I hope you'll get one, sometimes i see this model for sale in Paris, but in sunburst. I aim to kept mine, at least for the moment! I won't hésitate to inform you if i find one in NT through the web.

Thanks for your advices, Tim, i already kept it out of the case. I didn't know i could find such a pickguard. I'll look for it!
    Last edited by Tcharlze; 08-28-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaguitar2
    Wow! Nice collection! Are there 2 GB15s in the back row? If so, how do you like them? I've always wanted to try one.
    Thank you Jesse Allain!! In fact you're right, the color is red or black were they both available for the GB30. GB30TR and GB30TR transparent red. and what you see is a GB30BK and a GB15TR, which strings aren't fixed starting to the middle of the box, but to the tailpiece similar with a GB10. Because of my budget, i could'n't afford 2 (two) GB30. And knowing that i wanted to get all the colors of GB guitars, i've chosen to buy a GB30BK, because the single color for a GB15 is the red. But my conception of the perfect collection includes the GB30TR, the red is not the same... So, at the end of the day, maybe i'll own all the 18 models! We never know!

I Love the sound of the GB30BK, about as much as the one of the other guitars! I can get a funky sound with it, that's why, in order to complete logically my collection, i've decided to include the "extreme" guitar body thicknesses that George Benson excluded, for Feedback rejecting reason about biggest size boxes, and for sticked neck keeping reason about solid bodies: L5 and Fender Stratocaster.

The album of Benson where you can hear this guitar is "Twice the love". The track is "You're still my babe".

If you can come to visit France, i could maybe let you try my GB30BK.. It was Tim's owned two years ago!

Bone Dugain pick for a warm jazzy/funky sound and acrylic dugain pick for a funky/rock sound, but also little black horn Dugain pick are perfect, according to me.

The GB30BK is the third and thinnest guitar of Benson (firt the 10, second the 20), in the mid-eighties, the last having the name written on seashell on the neck. We must not forget that this concept was supposed to open the possibilities again towards about all kind of music, to give the perfect instrument to explore, the GB10 was very versatile compared with the jazz box GB20 and it's more woody sound, that already brought at it's time a new sound in jazz music.

I really love funky guitars also. i will use it with a loop pedal for rythm and backing tracking. This one is unique, it can content most of the guitarists, according to me.
    Last edited by Tcharlze; 08-28-2016 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice synthesis. This poster seems to have been created in the year 2008 or 2009, after the commercialization of the GB30TH. 4 models are missing on the picture, to obtain all the models, without colour alternative: the 2 LGBs (300 VYS and 30VYS), the GBY2K, and the GB10SE BS. The amount is 14 models at this time, including 11 japanese models.

Have a nice day!

User Info Menu

Charles, you are spot on about the great tone of the diminutive GB30BK. That small black semi hollow was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned. In my opinion, it is up there with similarly built high end semi's from Benedetto or Sadowsky.

Glad it has found a good home...and among so many other GB siblings!

Oh yes Tim, this black gem is in the right place, it will never suffer to be jealous about another guitar roud it! It feels rather, as you say, as a family, with sisters (GB10) and cousins (Strat)!

Thank you Tim for allowing me to own this guitar!
    Last edited by Tcharlze; 08-29-2016 at 11:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I have an 1986 Ibanez GB 10 and I'm looking for the proper hard case for this guitar. The Newer GB 10 case are too big.

Can someone help me?

Mellow BOB

Hello Mellow BOB,
    If the case you have tried is the one of a korean or chinese GB10 produced after 1986, it's normal, they have a deeper body. Fortunately for your hunting, only early nineties japanese GB10 have a shape with a different cuttaway, a little further from the neck, that could hardly find a femeale case shape. So, you have reasons to be confident in your possibilities, because according to me, most of cases for japanese GB10 could be okay for your guitar, even, maybe, the aluminium flight case for early GB10, despite of the fact that they mostly have 21 frets, that is the single model that i can find though Google image at this time. I have not yet japanese GB10, and no case for it, sorry.
    Last edited by Tcharlze; 12-07-2016 at 08:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Are you sure the currently available GB10 cases will not fit your '86?

I have a '79 GB10 that fits into a '97 case just fine.

User Info Menu

Love the GB30, I would love one of those someday!

User Info Menu

this is 2016 the cases for these newer GB 10 won't fit

maybe the 1997 case a lot of years difference.

User Info Menu

Tcharles
    you where I can fine a hard case for my 1986 GB 10 the newer cases today are too big?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tcharlze
    Ibanez George Benson collection-20160822_223734-jpg

Hi,

This is my collection, you can also find a Fender Hitmaker, and an L5 WesMO Customshop is coming quite soon. An early japanese Ibanez GB10 is still missing. I'm obliged to wait until december for that. If i find a GBY2K before, i would try to manage and would make a priority.

I'm rather a collector than a player even if i enjoy so much playing every GB model. I use a Fender GB Hotrod and would like to purchase the GB Twin Reverb.

If someone is a similar collector, or knows a way to find an available GB Masquerade, or wants informations i can give, like which Dugain pick (i'm french) makes enjoy more a GB model i already own, or anything else, don't hesitate!

Charles
    So who's your favorite guitarist?

Dang...you even have the limited edition.

User Info Menu

George Benson
    Wes Montgomery
    Grant Green
    Earl Klugh
    Paul Brown
    Norman Brown
    and More

User Info Menu

Impressive collection !!!! Congrats. But what is this gibsy guitar in the left corner ?

User Info Menu

​Great selection, get the pick guard on the GB20 replaced !! Dog...