The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    When I take my Tele out to a session, I feel really confident with it, because I know that short of a close-range nuclear blast, there's not much that's going to hurt it. Heck, I've put it upside down on my lap and eaten lunch off it. I honestly don't care about cosmetic damage with that instrument. On a Tele, that stuff just adds character. With, say, an L-5 or a DA I'd be constantly worried about dinging it.

I'm reminded of the apocryphal story about Bloomfield walking into the studio for sessions with Dylan and knocking the snow off'n his Tele ... against the wall.

Then there's this --

Reslings and carries on without missing a beat ... of any sort.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

More guitars = more chicks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    More guitars = more chicks
    More chicks = more chagrin

It follows: More guitars = more chagrin
    The answer to the question.
    Last edited by Ol' Fret; 08-06-2016 at 06:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Maybe I should just be brutally honest and say that I'm not worthy enough of a player to own something so doggone wonderful. But maybe I'll get over that someday. What this guy does with this D'Angelico is just jaw dropping.

Does anyone know whose arrangement of Darn That Dream is this ? EDIT: Never mind, found it: George Aslaender arranged it according to the YouTube poster
    Last edited by medblues; 08-06-2016 at 11:57 AM.

User Info Menu

The tone of that Excel is beautiful. My first instructor had one like that, but sunburst. It was and is to this day the most beautiful sounding acoustic guitar I have ever experienced. To say that if filled a small instruction room is a profound understatement.

I wish I had personal playing time behind a New Yorker...but, so far, it hasn't materialized. The Excel is one heck of a guitar, though.

My teacher's guitar looked like this one:
    Owning an Original D'angelico vs. having many guitars-47-dangelico-excel-jpg
    Last edited by Greentone; 08-06-2016 at 12:22 PM.

User Info Menu

GREAT story Greentone...

User Info Menu

I'll tell you...having a teacher who played a D'Angelico archtop when you are eleven or twelve absolutely RUINS you for flattop and regular electric guitars.

Right when every other teenager wanted a Stratocaster or a Les Paul--or a Mosrite Ventures model--I had a bad, bad urge to get a Gibson or Epiphone archtop guitar. Sure enough, my 18th birthday present was a 1938 Gibson L-50.

I thought I had arrived! All my friends got Martins, Ovations, etc. They wondered what the heck my guitar was.

User Info Menu

I think about these things all the time. I go through all the guitars I have and decide which ones could/should be sold, and then tally the numbers.
    Then I buy the grail guitar (which I did with a NY'er a few years back) and say to myself: we'll, if I ever need the money, I can always sell...
    For whatever reason I'm seriously (and stupidly) considering buying a Selmer from the 40s.
    It's a curse.

User Info Menu

Over the past few years, I have been on a journey of finding some super deals on less expensive guitars. My signature describes what I have, not including the Godin I have on layaway. (Picture in my avatar). I have gigged with all of them and love the results.

I got to play some top of the line Benedettos when I got to tour the Savannah factory. They wer superb, of course, but none have tempted me away from my great sounding and very serviceable instruments. They do what I need and look feel and sound great.