The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 161

User Info Menu

I'm getting ahead of myself since I need to spend some time bonding with what just arrived.
    And I treasure every guitar I have. Not at the point of being weighed down by them, had a little trouble finding closet space for all of them but figured that out too. So it's all good.

As for the HJS, I'll find out why Joe had to have one one of these days.

Big

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Amps are a big distraction for me also. I have degrees in electronics which is my living also. I can have a amp that sounds perfect but I still have to tear it apart and reinvent the better mousetrap and the end result is only noticed by me. Joe has labeled me a complete nutbag but he is in the same boat. Just a different style of rowing it down the river.
    It's fun being a nutbag. I love it! But, I am the nutbag that rows with 2 hands and 2 oars.. You my beloved Vincenzo, 1 arm, 1 Oar.. Continuously rowing in a circle..

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    It never ends. Scratch that. It does end. Age 40 for Scott Chinery. Age 62 (IIRC) for Patrick. Life is short. Enjoy as many of the amazing guitars that are out there that you can. And play them! A day spent playing music is a good day on the planet!
    Funny thing.. They both lived in the same town!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

I'm getting ahead of myself since I need to spend some time bonding with what just arrived.
    And I treasure every guitar I have. Not at the point of being weighed down by them, had a little trouble finding closet space for all of them but figured that out too. So it's all good.

As for the HJS, I'll find out why Joe had to have one one of these days.

Big
    BigMike,
    You don't NEED an HJS. You have many guitars that will be just as good. The only thing you don't have is.. Johnny's Signature. And he used a BOLD sharpie too... Its almost like he was signing all of them for you!

User Info Menu

No I was getting way ahead of myself. Being I have the Unity, Excel, Super Patrick and Golden Eagle I have a lot of exploring to do. Sometime in the next 45 days or so my next Mr Wu comes in also.

Did get the Golden Eagle tuned up and played it a while, wow it is so gorgeous in tone and looks. Easy to play too. I can see why Patrick favored it. Under the flood lights in the office while I am playing it the flame in the sides and neck are quite distracting. LOL. Just really great attention to detail.

SCORED a case of my favorite brandy. I fell in love (LUFT) with my Culinary History instructor some 23 years ago, this woman talked food and for me it was like a woman talking dirty to me. She had a fondness for Calvados, a special apple brandy from a region in Normandy. Not any cheap stuff but oh so easy to keep sipping on. I found a place called Wine Chateau in Jersey that ships. Got a case at a significant discount. So tomorrow night if it's raining I'm gonna sit on my porch and sip and celebrate this all being done.

Big

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-img_8110-jpg

User Info Menu

We all rejoice with you Mikey !!! Funny how life is. Just a few months ago life was slapping you around.

User Info Menu

VINNY

Yeah a year ago Life seemed pretty damn harsh. But since I got all my guys placed and got in here things have progressively improved. As for the guitar collection let me address that: I had the Mr Wu guitars in Jersey and a few other guitars I really liked for one reason or another. And since I got here I got a '79 GB10nt that I am very fond of, a '90s GB100, some very top notch BC Rich acoustics (a '68 and a mid-'70s) and a few other things. And it was very nice to finally get back into the GB World. But these instruments and the other really good things that have happened to me TRULY make me feel Very Blessed, I was just playing some oldies on the Excel copy and boy I have the amp and the acoustic volume pretty well matched, it's so great...

As for the Amatos, Fran got a brand new Hyundai Sonata in this green color she is very happy with. I believe I will be buying the
    wine burst Golden Eagle (despite the nay sayers) because I sorta got fond of it while I had it in hand. The blonde Golden Eagle that was Patrick's, man I grow fonder of that every time I play it. Hardly played the Unity, but it's up on the rotation next for the rest of the day.

You know my dearly departed Ma used to say the same thing to me over and over in my life. She said "Mike, you stepped in shit but you always come out smelling like a rose". And I would defer to her that it wasn't luck, but maybe a little karma and a lot of hard work and networking with people who knew they could count on me. The fundamental things my parents had always thought me: be honest, work hard, look after the other guy. And from the street I learned to keep my mouth shut and never rat on my friends (in any way).

Again thanks to all the well wishers and thanks for the compliments on the guitars, really Heritage and Patrick deserve all those compliments. I'm a real Heritage Nut Bag now. LOL...

Big

User Info Menu

BigMike,

Don't you love it when you get the acoustic and electric volume matched on an archtop? I really enjoy this with a guitar with a floating pickup. _That_ tone is completely seductive, IMO. Start playing some of the charts that Joe DeNisco does so well--with that kind of tone--and you can see the midnight sun.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Club Nutbag. We love new members.

User Info Menu

Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    BigMike,

Don't you love it when you get the acoustic and electric volume matched on an archtop? I really enjoy this with a guitar with a floating pickup. _That_ tone is completely seductive, IMO. Start playing some of the charts that Joe DeNisco does so well--with that kind of tone--and you can see the midnight sun.

Saturday greetings from Club Nutbag, River Forest. LOL. Yeah using my Fuchs modded Music Man HD130 at half power with a slanted amp stand I was sitting across the room on the bed but over to the right of the amp, got that acoustic volume matched to the amp volume and I SWEAR I was getting reverb out of the
    sound holes !!! It's Great.

Cleaning lady is here today and It's Unity Day, all day... You guys posting ads over at Archtop.Com DAMN YOU !!! I was seriously looking at a Epiphone Emperor, this beast. Reminds me of a guitar I old tech in California, David Tupper, lent me for a while.

https://www.archtop.com/ac_46emp_714.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    BigMike,

Thanks Greentone. That is my all time favorite thing to do. The natural stereo sound produced by matching volumes like that makes me shiver. You can see the midnight sun. That is the saying I will use from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Welcome to Club Nutbag. We love new members.
    id say our new member has blasted through the membership vetting process with a bang, huh? Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

Saturday greetings from Club Nutbag, River Forest. LOL. Yeah using my Fuchs modded Music Man HD130 at half power with a slanted amp stand I was sitting across the room on the bed but over to the right of the amp, got that acoustic volume matched to the amp volume and I SWEAR I was getting reverb out of the
    sound holes !!! It's Great.

Cleaning lady is here today and It's Unity Day, all day... You guys posting ads over at Archtop.Com DAMN YOU !!! I was seriously looking at a Epiphone Emperor, this beast. Reminds me of a guitar I old tech in California, David Tupper, lent me for a while.

https://www.archtop.com/ac_46emp_714.html
    big mike, be careful. The Unity might ruin you for anything else.
    Save some money big man. You might need to eat at some point..
    JD

User Info Menu

Hey Mike....I know Dave Tupper. Great guitar tech. Trouble is he is always overwhelmed with work. Lucky if you get your guitar back in a month. If you need a fret job he is worth the wait.

User Info Menu

I told you not to send that Wineburst back! I recall Patrick suggesting its tone was exquisite. I'd forget all about that silly cosmetic stinger if I owned it...I mean, just look at that burst. AND Golden Eagle single humbuckers aren't an easy find. I searched for 3 years and never came across one for sale.

User Info Menu

I confirm: GE single set pub is outstanding! Huge congrats. Man, you're on a roll ... amazing! Enjoy each and every one of them!

User Info Menu

Dave Tupper is a friend of mine since '88. Still got his digits memorized. I didn't live or work THAT far from him so any time I was baking biscotti I'd head over toward Alameda De Las Pulgas and see him. Love that guy. He sure has some fine guitars coming through his shop. A real stand up guy.

I really am very in love with my blonde Golden Eagle single set pickup... Actually I was pretty stunned to find all these beauties hadn't been swept up by someone...

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image1-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Mike I hope you have some Virtuoso guitar polish. Those beauties need to be rubbed down with the best only. Trust me their is nothing better to put on nitro lacquer.

User Info Menu

Trust the man. He knows what he's talking about!

User Info Menu

You know, if there if there is one measely thing I don't like about the HJS is the size of the FHoles. They may contribute to the sound, I don't know.. But it seems like Herman Brice didn't care for them either because he got the nice f-holes on his.
    Tootie has the cutaway and the pickguard in the wrong side of the guitar..

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Probably this one.

User Info Menu

Tootie is wise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    You know, if there if there is one measely thing I don't like about the HJS is the size of the FHoles. They may contribute to the sound, I don't know.. But it seems like Herman Brice didn't care for them either because he got the nice f-holes on his.
    Tootie has the cutaway and the pickguard in the wrong side of the guitar..
    but that's one of the things that makes heritage, heritage. Big 'ol f holes, ugly headstocks, and thinner tops. Okay, that and half the price than for the wares of some of those other companies

I think it's a mental block in your head because you're used to the other...I don't hear or see a difference, but I'm not focused on it...I'm mesmerized by the headstock

User Info Menu

Really, I showed my cleaning lady the Unity, Golden Eagle, Excel and Super Patrick and her hand went straight to the lovely MOP inlays on each of them. She hardly speaks any english but her "OH !!" says it all. She doesn't know squat about guitars but she sure knows stunning when she sees it !!

Big

User Info Menu

2b, I actually love the headstock. The holes though.. Yeesh..
    JD

User Info Menu

2b, I actually love the headstock. The holes though.. Yeesh..
    JD
    You're just missing the 70's! Here's an old 70's ad for ya in case you missed the suggestive humor of this one

User Info Menu

I miss the 70's. It was so perfectly simple back then. Good times.
    thanks 2b

User Info Menu

I miss the 70's. It was so perfectly simple back then. Good times.
    thanks 2b
    +1

User Info Menu