The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 161

User Info Menu

Today is SuperPatrick Sunday (with a little space of time for the H150 too). Bubba shot some pics of the label in the SP... It's called a Super Eagle Custom (see the label).

Big

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-img_8168-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

HE'S BACK !!!!!! LOL.
    A great sigh of relief, the wine burst is safely back in Toms River. And I LOVE IT WHEN IT SAYS:

Franklin Park, IL, United States 07/27/2016 6:02 A.M. Arrival Scan

That is for the BLONDE GE with set pickup. The fourth from the left in this photo...

User Info Menu

Browser is giving me fits

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-dsc01044-1-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Did you get it yet?
    JD

User Info Menu

I've been waiting to weigh in on this thread.

For me it's great to see Patrick and his collection being brought up.

To those of you fortunate to have been able to acquire some of Patrick's collection, I know you will love playing and visually enjoying them, but also for the art and memories they have.

To those of you newer to this forum, you unfortunately missed the opportunity of aquaintance with Patrick. His knowledge, wit and sometimes acidic comments are missed.

Anyway, I also note that there are more blondes in this thread than I saw in Stockholm when I was there :-) What's up with that?

User Info Menu

I asked Patrick about that. His first Heritage Super Eagle was a blonde. He just preferred blonde guitars.

Also, Aaron Cowles was less expert at sunburst finishes than natural finishes, so the two Unity guitars are also blonde.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    "Anyway, I also note that there are more blondes in this thread than I saw in Stockholm when I was there :-) What's up with that?"
    Yeah, 8 of them. Photographed in a bathroom. With a fireplace in it..
    That was Patrick..

User Info Menu

Houston:
    Tranquility Base
    The Eagle Has Landed...

My first Golden Eagle. Love the body depth.
    Enjoy

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image5-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image4-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image3-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image2-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image1-jpg

User Info Menu

And a few more.

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image6-2-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image5-2-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image4-2-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image3-2-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image2-2-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image1-2-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image6-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-image5-jpg

User Info Menu

When I first met Patrick, that GE was his favorite guitar. He would put others ahead of it from time to time over the years, but for the most part, this was his favorite.

Yes, he liked his L-5s, Heritage D'As, and Unitys. They were visually more appealing in some ways. But this GE was the best all around guitar. That fundamentally was Patrick's best, and it began his long relationship with Heritage and then with Aaron Cowles.

I say this with no bias really.

The flame is outstanding on that Blonde GE. Well done. Great configuration for an Archtop. What an amazing collection you have put together with a single purchase knowing they have been vetted by Patrick. You know they are all good ones. Kudos to you

User Info Menu

BigMike, Well done, sir. Beautiful Golden Eagle and great collection.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all the well wishes. Well here's the last guitar, had it for a week now but am finally getting around to showing solid bodies some respect. It's my Les Patrick, a decent topped H150. Love it because it's got nice flame but isn't one of those crazy flame jobs. It looks more like what Gibson might have put out for an artist back in '58... Lovely neck.

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-img_8220-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-img_8225-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-img_8223-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-img_8222-jpg

And when I got to talking to Chris last night after the Golden Eagle was safely here I told him I was sending him some Cuban cigars, Cohibas to be exact. Turns out Patrick and I also had Cohibas in common. Chris now has his Dad's humidor and he's a Cohiba nut too. Also I am throwing in these really over the top hand embroidered kitchen towels for Fran. I have been buying everything this little old lady in Minnesota makes. I have a real towel addiction, must have a couple hundred. I would guess over the last 9 years I've purchased over 500 towels from Anna Mae...

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-img_8216-2-jpg

And lastly let's take a quiet moment to remember Patrick, the anniversary of his passing is not far off...

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-fullsizerender-jpg

User Info Menu

The H150 has been modified by Patrick. He may have had Heritage build it that way.

The tuning keys are keystones, not the kidney bean shaped things usually on the H150. Patrick put an amber toggle switch cap on it. Lastly, those pickups are probably Seymour Duncans, not Schallers.

Note that the pickup rings (bezels) do not match in color or screw holes. I don't know the story there, but Heritage sometimes mixed up parts like that. More likely, the neck pickup ring cracked over time. Finding Schaller rings is much harder than standard Gibson two holers. So it may be that the neck ring was replaced by Patrick with something easier to find. Don't know.

BigMike is right about the flame. That's a classic looking top from 225 Parsons.

User Info Menu

So Mike, How many in the stable now total ? Are you closing in on Marc ? BTW all, remember Big Joe saying he was
    done buying guitars.....not ! I just laughed when he said that. "Every time I try and get out they pull me back in".

User Info Menu

Oh heck fellas...

Vinny I don't know how many. I meet with my lawyer next week to draw up a will, just to get my ducks lined up - and in that will all the guitars will be inventoried and left to those I am fond of... I know who would like owning (and keep, not flipping) what I leave them.

As for a total, heck I don't know. I was talking to Jay Wolfe the other day and tried to get him to sell me his HJS Custom... we'll see. So no, I'm not done. And I know a kid I'm gonna surprise at Christmas. A good kid, a loyal friend. He's gonna have a VERY Merry Christmas.

Be well guys...

God Bless

Big

BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-13241193_1036351046451473_8718534958505179122_n-jpg
    (me misbehaving)
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 07-28-2016 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Ya Mike, I just did my will and living trust. We are getting up there. Enjoy those beautiful guitars every day that God gives you. No u-hauls to heaven.

User Info Menu

Mike,
    An HJS Custom I hear? Can you tell us more?
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Mike,
    An HJS Custom I hear? Can you tell us more?
    JD

Probably this one.

User Info Menu

Mike,

Be forewarned that too many guitars can become a burden. I am up to 22 ( and seriously am thinking about selling a few off) and am starting to hit the wall of diminishing returns. Strings need to be changed regularly (at least once a year no matter how seldom a guitar may be played), frets need to be polished and at a certain point, the guitars start to feel a bit strange. With a manageable collection size, one can rotate all of ones guitars often enough so that they all feel familiar.

A guitarist only needs two guitars (an acoustic and an electric). The rest is just an art collection. And you got some of the gems from Patrick's art collection. Congrats again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    A guitarist only needs two guitars (an acoustic and an electric). The rest is just an art collection.
    Marc you're on the right track, but two guitars takes a bunch of discipline! I have 14 guitars and share some the same issues that you describe. Some day, maybe down to 6...

Archtop
    Gypsy
    Steel String Flat Top
    Nylon String
    Semi-Hollowbody (humbuckers)
    Solid Body (single coils)

User Info Menu

Yeah of course, he has the only one with the Rose on the Pickguard. I give up..
    Thanks MG
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Probably this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Marc you're on the right track, but two guitars takes a bunch of discipline! I have 14 guitars and share some the same issues that you describe. Some day, maybe down to 6...

Archtop
    Gypsy
    Steel String Flat Top
    Nylon String
    Iim7rtymodfj,
    6? Never happen bro. That's like saying the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art will only have 2 paintings. The Persistance of Memory and The Starry Night..
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7

Archtop
    Gypsy
    Steel String Flat Top
    Nylon String
    Well....Then one could argue that you need an acoustic archtop and an electric archtop. You need a D hole Gypsy guitar and an oval hole Gypsy guitar. You need a Gibson solid body and a Fender solid body. It never ends. Scratch that. It does end. Age 40 for Scott Chinery. Age 62 (IIRC) for Patrick. Life is short. Enjoy as many of the amazing guitars that are out there that you can. And play them! A day spent playing music is a good day on the planet!
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 07-28-2016 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Wise words Marc. I have 8 guitars but they all feel good to me instantly. I do hate to change strings. I have been using TI's only for years. I used to change them 3 times a year but now just when I hear the deadness which is close to a year if it is a good set. Two many guitars will take you away from the ultimate goal of playing as much as you can. Just can't part with my babies. Amps are a big distraction for me also. I have degrees in electronics which is my living also. I can have a amp that sounds perfect but I still have to tear it apart and reinvent the better mousetrap and the end result is only noticed by me. Joe has labeled me a complete nutbag but he is in the same boat. Just a different style of rowing it down the river.