The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 161

User Info Menu

Big,

The D'Angelico II that is coming your way was written about on this forum by Patrick last year. Here is what he wrote:

" I bought the guitar from DiFiore's Music in Cleveland. Lanne was the lady I dealt with (just checked my records when I read your post). There was a plastic plaque on the pick guard and I couldn't quite make out the writing on it. She sent me a better photo. It had the inscription "Sugar Ray" engraved on it. She said she was selling it to help settle this artists estate. I assumed the guy kicked. But, maybe it was a settlement of property in a bankruptcy or divirce or something. Maybe it's not the same Sugar Ray? I thought it was permanently glued onto the plastic PG and that I'd have to get Mirabella to make me a new guard. But, when I brought it up to Ronaldo for a string change and set up . . . he pulled out some dental floss and slid it under the plaque . .. pulled it back n forth a bit and it came right off. Polished up the guard and it left no marks what so ever."

Joe D. and I did some research on the other Heritage built D'Angelico II of Patrick's. If I were you, I would try to contact the gal at the music store and "Sugar Ray" while they might still be around and remember what they can.

In my conversation with Marty Turman, the man behind the D'Angelico II enterprise, he told me that only 15 carved D'Angelico II's were made, 3 by Jim Triggs (one of which is owned by a fellow forum member) and 12 by Heritage (you and I own 2 of these and a third is for sale at Gruhn guitars). If you don't have the book by Frank Green, you should get it. It has a chapter on the D'Angelico II enterprise.

Marty Turman told me that the reason he selected Jim Triggs, Marv Lamb and JP Moats to build the D'Angelico II guitars is that he wanted these replicas to be as good as a Gibson, which in his mind is the best. Somehow, I can't help thinking that John D'Angelico would approve.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

BigMike,

Not much can be added to what has been said so I'll simply state Well Done!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Big,

The D'Angelico II that is coming your way was written about on this forum by Patrick last year. Here is what he wrote:

" I bought the guitar from DiFiore's Music in Cleveland. Lanne was the lady I dealt with (just checked my records when I read your post). There was a plastic plaque on the pick guard and I couldn't quite make out the writing on it. She sent me a better photo. It had the inscription "Sugar Ray" engraved on it. She said she was selling it to help settle this artists estate. I assumed the guy kicked. But, maybe it was a settlement of property in a bankruptcy or divirce or something. Maybe it's not the same Sugar Ray? I thought it was permanently glued onto the plastic PG and that I'd have to get Mirabella to make me a new guard. But, when I brought it up to Ronaldo for a string change and set up . . . he pulled out some dental floss and slid it under the plaque . .. pulled it back n forth a bit and it came right off. Polished up the guard and it left no marks what so ever."

Joe D. and I did some research on the other Heritage built D'Angelico II of Patrick's. If I were you, I would try to contact the gal at the music store and "Sugar Ray" while they might still be around and remember what they can.

In my conversation with Marty Turman, the man behind the D'Angelico II enterprise, he told me that only 15 carved D'Angelico II's were made, 3 by Jim Triggs (one of which is owned by a fellow forum member) and 12 by Heritage (you and I own 2 of these and a third is for sale at Gruhn guitars). If you don't have the book by Frank Green, you should get it. It has a chapter on the D'Angelico II enterprise.

Marty Turman told me that the reason he selected Jim Triggs, Marv Lamb and JP Moats to build the D'Angelico II guitars is that he wanted these replicas to be as good as a Gibson, which in his mind is the best. Somehow, I can't help thinking that John D'Angelico would approve.

https://www.archtop.com/ac_78benedetto_17.html

User Info Menu

Wintermoon, thank you so much for this priceless info. Sugar Ray huh ?? Wow !! What is the exact title of this book ?? I will do my darndest to locate and buy it. Thank you again.

Big

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Big Mike, what a move!!

Congratulations!!!

User Info Menu

​Got it ordered. Thank you so much !!!

User Info Menu

Thanks GCB, this whole deal has taken MONTHS (which was mostly my doing), appreciate all the info and well wishes... We're gonna get Patrick back a little closer for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    ... Seriously, that is some major wood you've come into, my friend ...
    This!!!

User Info Menu

Big Mike- Reading through this whole thread is really something. All I can say is : You done good, young man, you done good! Congratulations, and play them all in good health!

User Info Menu

Big Mike,

I reread your posts and realized that you got the 17" Unity, not the 18". VERY nice. I also realized that I have pictures of that guitar that Patrick sent to me. Here are some pictures of your guitar:
    BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-newunity010-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-newunity011-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-unity17inch-jpgBigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-unity17inch-1-jpg
    The 17" in the pictures of both of Patrick's Unities is the one on the right in each case. What a beautiful guitar. Sorry that I don't have a picture of the gorgeous headstock.

User Info Menu

The inlay work on the guitar and the engraving on the tailpiece was all done by Maudie Moore. She also did the work on the top of the line Gibsons, i.e., Citations, Kalamazoo Awards, etc. She was the best in the business.

User Info Menu

Wait...I believe this is your headstock (beautiful!):
    BigMike's Mega Heritage NGD...-dsc01361-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the photos. That is the headstock for the 18, see the Super 400 style inlays ?? I'll be shooting photos Thursday when I do the Mega Unpack...

User Info Menu

Ahhhhhh....I think that's the 18" headstock inlay. Sorry. (Oops! Didn't see your response.)

User Info Menu

​you guys have been so great today. Thank you one and all...

User Info Menu

Come one guys, help Big Mike out buy using bold lettering so he won't have to squint to read your posts! This much I know about Mike. Now I know a lot more.

One thing is for sure, you don't mess around when you make your moves Big Mike.

God bless you and Patrick's family in your time's of loss. There is nothing as real as losing a loved one. But we can try to fill the void as best we can until our time comes to rejoin them.

It looks like you are going to have a little "Guitar therapy" every now and then, and you picked some mighty fine guitars to administer it. I am sure your mother is smiling down on you!

Way to go big Mike. I am sure you have helped the family a great deal getting these guitar. I like your style. 5 at a time... Good stuff

User Info Menu

I love it when it says: Franklin Park ARRIVAL SCAN

I left nachos and bourbon out for Santa but he must be on the wagon also...

Hubba hubba Bubba

User Info Menu

Chris called me about 20 minutes ago to check, I told him the boxes will be delivered this afternoon and would text him photos so he knows everything is here safe. He says Fran is going to go buy herself a new(er) car today... He's such a great kid...

User Info Menu

Let the extravaganza begin...

User Info Menu

better to be delivered today than the next couple days.
    90 degrees today, triple digits after that, you'd have to let them acclimate a month before you opened the boxes.

User Info Menu

I had UPS here yesterday, I told the driver I had 5 big boxes coming and tipped him $20.00 in advance, a family guy. I asked if it was possible for him to come earlier today. We'll see, like my driver buddy in Jersey UPS supervisors track the GPS of the trucks... Fingers crossed. This Melissa at the Toms River UPS Store double checked everything that Chris packed and liked how he did it. She personally packed everything herself the best way possible. PayPal does wonderful things for people that help me... ;-)

Can't wait. IT IS unGodly hot here, only got down to 78 last night, high humidity and dew points. I'm in lockdown mode now. Got the a/c set at 69...

User Info Menu

Hey Big~ I know how anxious you are...Wait...I have NO IDEA how anxious you are, since I've never been in your situation, expecting so many gorgeous archtops. Anyway, when your new harem of mail order brides arrive, remember to let them acclimate from their current hot, steamy environment to your cool 69 degree home.

User Info Menu

An event that seems to be attracting wide national and international following... something like Elvis' Aloha from Hawaii...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Let the extravaganza begin...