The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Not had mine all that long, but I must say it sounds brilliant, and even the FX which most reviewers criticise sound quite good to me.

Anyway, I notice there's quite a lot of hiss from the speaker, even when there's no volume, nothing connected, or the jack's in the record out socket. Recording with a mic or DI results in quite a bit of background hiss, although otherwise it sounds superb.

Is this common, or have I got a fault? (The amp that is, not me).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I,ll get back to you later , will check mine .

User Info Menu

Thanks henry b. I started noticing it when I put the cube on a stand slightly tilted upwards.

User Info Menu

Checked mine on all the functions and the only time an unwanted noise is heard is when the lead is left unplugged to the axe.hope it,s nowt bad , is your amp under guarantee .have you checked the guitar lead.let,s know how you get on .

User Info Menu

No hiss here (unless lead left as henry b describes)

User Info Menu

Mine is whisper quiet.

User Info Menu

Well, if you're all sure there's no hiss at all, even when you listen closely, then I guess there must be a fault.

The weird thing is that it's unaffected by whether anything's plugged in or not, how the controls are set, where I plug the power in or position the amp, but most of all even when the record out jack is plugged in (which silences the speaker), the hiss is still there.

User Info Menu

The only noise I get is the "live" sound which you can get from most amps,.

User Info Menu

I've e-mailed the supplier (closed on Saturdays of course!) to ask whether they think it's a problem, and to arrange a return or replacement. I've also contacted tech support via the Roland website, and await their response.
    Watch this space!

User Info Menu

Both the supplier and Roland tech support have got back to me. Tech says they think there is a problem, and contact the supplier. Supplier says, we'll send a courier to collect it. All very good!

Trouble is........ .........I've borrowed a friends Cube 80, and, erm, it seems to hiss as well! The only difference is that when you connect the 'record out' on the 80, it silences the speaker, but not on the 60; on the 60 the hiss continues but of course there's no sound from the guitar.

Now, are you guys all deaf, or has my hearing become super sensitive? Turn on your amp, and listen.....there's a hiss right?

Maybe I'm spending too much time alone in the studio.

User Info Menu

Doublechecked my 60 - there is a very low background hiss (and it stays there if you plug in the rec out) - easy to hear if you put your ears close to the speaker, but almost inaudible if standing up next to it. I've never noticed it before.

Hope that helps,

Per

User Info Menu

There is a hiss , but only the "live " sound. Get it checked -out anyway .

User Info Menu

Thanks for doing that, Per.

I'm starting to think I've got techno-hypochondriasis.

(hope I don't drive everyone mad now, as they start noticing their cubes hissing away quietly).

.....looks like there's absolutely nowt wrong with my cube.

Or is there?

User Info Menu

The hiss might be a result of the current you have in your studio. Try using a power conditoner like they are known in the hifi world and I'm pretty sure your Cube will be close to dead quiet. Unfortunately those conditioners are more expensive than the Cube. In case there are Computers and lamps with dimmer switches in the same circuit as your Cube, try to remove them. The result might be audible.
    Last edited by Drifter; 07-14-2009 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

same with mine, as in, i have the headphone out plugged to my computer so that you can't hear the guitar through the cube 60, but you still hear a faint noise. It's not that loud though, or bothersome. Is it on yours? Did I answer your question? Personal message me if not.

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody for your help and advice on this!
    The supplier has been most helpful, but after a long chat with them, we've decided not to get it checked by Roland and obtain a replacement.

Having checked out a cube 80 also, I'm now satisfied there's nothing wrong, although I will be looking into Drifter's suggestion regarding a balanced power supply; however, even that probably isn't an issue, as we tried one out in shop yesterday, and the hiss was there!

Maybe it would help if I stopped trying to play all these quiet, melodic, jazzy things, and just plug in the strat and play something LOUD!

User Info Menu

I'll have to put my ears close to my Cube 30 and 80 and see if I find any hiss. I don't recall any noise from them, especially with nothing connected. I used to have a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight that had a small amount of hiss compared to my Cubes though.

Are you plugging any effects into it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass
    Are you plugging any effects into it?
    Nope! It hisses with or without anything plugged in, volume on zero or on max, it makes no odds, and just hisses away (slightly).

User Info Menu

Very very low noise from mine (compared to a JTM60 Marshall)

I'm with the current theory. If you have fluorescent lights/lamps on the circuit, then that might be the cause. I have a RC 60 and it does not hiss, unless I put it in a certain room.
    To prove this, take the amp to another room, house, studio and see the results. Better yet, if you have a friend whose amps do not hiss, plug yours on his/her wall.
    Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Cause I had to double check my 30 and 80x. Cause I didn't remember hearing any noise. When I turned them on (nothing plugged into their inputs) I heard nothing. Then when I put my ear right up to the speaker of each, I did hear a slight hiss. I hadn't noticed it before. Thankfully it's faint enough that it doesn't bother me at all. I'll have to compare it to my tube amps, as I suspect they hiss the same or a tad more.

My 30 does make a popping noise when turning on/off. My 80x doesn't make this noise...it takes an extra second or two to power on, but doesn't make a noise while doing so. It does however always turn on in the JC channel, which isn't a big deal, but I'd rather it stay on in the channel I left it last at. That bother me a little more than any slight hiss.

User Info Menu

None, man mine is perfect

User Info Menu

And finally.................I've got a power conditioner now, and the hiss is still there!
    I guess I should have done more damage to my ears when I was younger, then I wouldn't notice it so much!

User Info Menu

Do you get the same hiss when plugged-in at a different location..
    I have a similar problem which relates to a noisy earth wiring in my home.
    Can hear a hiss thru all my audio equipment that's earthed. Take the Amp to a friends place and no hiss.. Tried conditioners etc.. none worked now just put up with it..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ
    Do you get the same hiss when plugged-in at a different location..
    I have a similar problem which relates to a noisy earth wiring in my home.
    Can hear a hiss thru all my audio equipment that's earthed. Take the Amp to a friends place and no hiss.. Tried conditioners etc.. none worked now just put up with it..

Yeh, I got 'em to plug one in, in a store, and it sounded the same.
    It's not a problem to put up with, but to start with I thought it meant there was a fault.