The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

Hey folks i am new around here and i wanna buy an heritage sweet 16 with an humbucker is it the right choice for the price ?
    its costs 2500 $
    not a new one but in a mint condition

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peleg
    Hey folks i am new around here and i wanna buy an heritage sweet 16 with an humbucker is it the right choice for the price ?
    its costs 2500 $
    not a new one but in a mint condition
    I've had a Sweet 16 for almost 25 years now and I still enjoy mine. Mine has a floater pickup and has a nice acoustic sound.

I used to play guitar in a Swing band and my Sweet 16 was my main gigging guitar for that band. It's the only guitar I have that has earned it's keep.

I wouldn't mind one with a humbucker mounted on the top. The ones I've played with that set up were quite nice.

$2500 seems like a fair price assuming the guitar is in mint condition. Heritage guitars can be a lot of bang for the buck compared to other brands.

You'll have a hard time finding a better guitar at that price .... you might find a decent ES175 in that price range, but the Sweet 16 is usually a great guitar with solid carved spruce top and maple back while the 175 is laminated.

Good Luck

i have a 175 and it is marvelous guitar my tech want it for himself the dude that try to sell the sweet 16 find it hard to find someone who will buy it cause we are in Israel and it is very hard to find jazz guitarist without a great instrument already

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peleg
    i have a 175 and it is marvelous guitar my tech want it for himself the dude that try to sell the sweet 16 find it hard to find someone who will buy it cause we are in Israel and it is very hard to find jazz guitarist without a great instrument already

If you already have a 175 then the Sweet 16 is a great addition to your collection IMHO

I would say that $2500 is a decent price for a Sweet 16 in the states, but an even better price outside the states

User Info Menu

Even though that's a fair price for a Sweet 16, the market is soft and Heritage resale is not as strong as Gibson. $1700-$1900 might be more in line at the present time.

in the us?

User Info Menu

Last year these were some of the prices I saw for a Heritage Sweet 16. Maybe the market is up again?

User Info Menu

The Sweet 16 has a 25.5" scale as its standard scale length. Heritage is a build-to-order shop so you need to verify its scale length. Find out its rim depth too because that can vary.

As for resale, hard to say. Dealers in the USA, such as Bernunzio's or Lark Street Music, were asking from $2250 to $2450 for a Heritage Sweet 16. Well, dealers would usually try to sell it at the higher end of its market value. So, I would say that jads57's observation of $1700 to $1900 value is in line with transacted market prices given a soft market. I would be more generous and say $2000 to $2200 for one in a nice mint condition that sounds good and plays well.

Mark Whitfield plays a carved 16" Stephen Marchione archtop with a 25.5" scale length. $18 000.00. The Sweet 16 is essentially the same thing for us mere mortals. So, consider it heck of a bargain. There are only 2 Heritage archtops whose looks I can abide; one is the Johnny Smith, and the other is the Sweet 16.

I don't know how much it should sell for in Israel.

the dude where in Israel try to sell it for 3 years and he is first price was 3000 $ and i was drooping him to 2500$ in Israel there isn't a demand to hollow body at all

User Info Menu

I bought a used Sweet 16 with a floater some weeks ago, and I'm more than satisfied with it !
    Good acoustic sound with the carved spruce top. Very good tones when plugged in, too. Strung with TI 12's, it's a real pleasure to play.
    As for the price, it's difficult to say if it is a bargain, they don't pop up so often. Mine was in that range.
    If you go for it, you'll not regret it.
    Just a pic of mine (it's a 1995) :
    Heritage Sweet 16-dsc_0044-jpg

Good luck !

User Info Menu

I've only seen very very few Heritage Sweet 16's priced under $2k. Ever. One was 3 years ago, another 4 years ago. I bought one, Marty the other. I've not seen a single Sweet 16 priced for $1700 in the past several years. Most are in the high 2's, and some, usually retailers, above $3k. It's still a $2500 all carved made in the USA archtop. I don't see any commonality between a Sweet 16 and a Gibson, other than they're each 16" archtops. A Sweet 16 is a 25.5 scale, and solid spruce and maple, not laminate.

Single humbucker Sweet 16's are NOT very common. If that guitar floated my boat I'd buy it for $2500.

Definitely not an ES175

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 07-05-2016 at 09:56 PM.

User Info Menu

The Sweet 16 is a beautiful guitar, without a doubt. I would buy one if I was in the market. Even though it is solid carved, I wouldn't price it higher than a 175. I've noticed sellers are trying to inch up resale on 175's lately. $2800 seems to be going rate for nice 175. So I think $2500 for a sweet 16 is right on the money. And worth every penny of it.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    I bought a used Sweet 16 with a floater some weeks ago, and I'm more than satisfied with it !
    Good acoustic sound with the carved spruce top. Very good tones when plugged in, too. Strung with TI 12's, it's a real pleasure to play.
    As for the price, it's difficult to say if it is a bargain, they don't pop up so often. Mine was in that range.
    If you go for it, you'll not regret it.
    Just a pic of mine (it's a 1995) :
    Heritage Sweet 16-dsc_0044-jpg

Good luck !
    my god 339 that's a beautiful guitar. Wow.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

2b,
    Stunning Sweet 16, if they're rare in the US. you can believe that over here
    it's one in a blu moon. I would opt for one any day over a Es175, i've had
    one, a '59 ES175DN RI , that put me off for life. Despite the fact i am a hard
    and fast Gibson fan, currently only one guitar I have is non Gibson.
    Have you, or anyone any idea why Heritage has no representation in the UK ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    ...Have you, or anyone any idea why Heritage has no representation in the UK ?
    Council yobs don't play jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Having a bad day??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

I think we will treat that with the contempt it deserves.

User Info Menu

2b,
    Stunning Sweet 16, if they're rare in the US. you can believe that over here
    it's one in a blu moon. I would opt for one any day over a Es175, i've had
    one, a '59 ES175DN RI , that put me off for life. Despite the fact i am a hard
    and fast Gibson fan, currently only one guitar I have is non Gibson.
    Patrick, a former Heritage rep, made no secret that Heritage had business shortcomings. Their expertise was making a great guitar. Let's see what the new ownership does to firm up the shortcomings of the former owners.

User Info Menu

Thanks Greg,
    As usual first up will a sensible answer.

User Info Menu

If you check Heritage Guitars new website, you'll see that they have no representation outside US !

In France they had (have ?) SMI, but they don't want to stock guitars that they won't sell quickly. And if they don't stock guitars, they won't sell ... See what I mean ?

In Europe, Thomann has started to distribute Heritage, but no Sweet 16 yet !

Heritage Guitar Guitares Jazz - Thomann France

User Info Menu

Guys, give Jabs a break. The word "yobs" appears in the British press all the time. It refers to young, rude, aggressive boys. Britain is pretty rife with young people who are under-employed and angry. For that matter, the US is, too.

There is an assertive, aggressive behavior that 40 years ago would have been referred to as "punk." In any event, it sure isn't associated with either jazz or archtop guitars.

In a cut to the heart of the matter way Jabberwocky has expressed the idea that the current state of affairs in Brexit England is somewhat out of synch with the notion of setting up a Heritage dealership. Set one up in, say, Yazoo City, MS, and you might get little interest either. Or Koernersville, NC, or Martinsville, VA, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Guys, give Jabs a break. The word "yobs" appears in the British press all the time. It refers to young, rude, aggressive boys. Britain is pretty rife with young people who are under-employed and angry. For that matter, the US is, too.

There is an assertive, aggressive behavior that 40 years ago would have been referred to as "punk." In any event, it sure isn't associated with either jazz or archtop guitars.

In a cut to the heart of the matter way Jabberwocky has expressed the idea that the current state of affairs in Brexit England is somewhat out of synch with the notion of setting up a Heritage dealership. Set one up in, say, Yazoo City, MS, and you might get little interest either. Or Koernersville, NC, or Martinsville, VA, etc.
    Don't think so; ' Council Yobs'?? that was just pointless bad manners, at very best. Seems to me that ' the current state of affairs in Brexit England ' - whatever you think that is - is most accurately observed from over here. Previous experiences on this forum suggest that inter-country cultural comparisons are best avoided, and can easily give needless offence, even if unintentional. I doubt if this was unintentional.

Of course, we don't know where his viewpoint is from, since he's 'exiled'

Oh, and yes, there is a heritage dealership here. Probably in Yahoo Park, Surrey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    If you check Heritage Guitars new website, you'll see that they have no representation outside US !

In France they had (have ?) SMI, but they don't want to stock guitars that they won't sell quickly. And if they don't stock guitars, they won't sell ... See what I mean ?

In Europe, Thomann has started to distribute Heritage, but no Sweet 16 yet !

Heritage Guitar Guitares Jazz - Thomann France
    The new owners haven't been there 2 months. Be patient?

User Info Menu

Back to the OP's question on Sweet 16's - I know of no other archtop quite like the Sweet 16.

2.75" body depth. All ebony appointments, solid carved. And affordable. I prefer them with single humbucker's.

I always felt that one buys a Sweet 16 because they desire a carved all solid wood non laminate, affordable, made in USA guitar. It won't sound anything like an ES175, in my experience.

Resell value, from my perspective, is a moot point. Why? Buy it right, and what's it matter, if you decide to later sell it you'll get back every penny for it. But buy it used, and below $3k. Good luck finding a not so common single humbucker Sweet 16 below $2k - Today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Bad manners? Give me a break! Your are being confrontational with this statement and not giving the benefit of the doubt to this person. "I doubt if this was unintentional."
    No, just saying what I think. Shame Rene/ Jabberwocky hasn't responded.

What has got right under my skin are these Brexit comments. To give some context, you need to realise that 'Brexit' has
    stirred some deep divisions in this country, and crass comments like 'Council Yobs' aren't welcome.

To the 'get a life comment', you're right about one thing. Time I baled out.