Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 201 to 247 of 247
  1. #201

    User Info Menu

    Welcome back brother. I've always had great respect for your playing and it was nice to connect with you on a personal level as well. I'm not on here much anymore but when I do log in, it's so nice to check in on your work. Honestly, your solo playing has inspired me to want to spend a year working on that aspect of my playing.

    That guitar is *HUGE* though. I once owned a 1948 super 400 and it was just too much for me but sound-wise, there's nothing like an 18" heritage or gibson!

    Thanks for sharing.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #202

    User Info Menu

    p.s. you should professionally record and release a solo guitar album.

  4. #203

    User Info Menu

    ... And we're dam glad ye are BACK!!!

    What a BIG tone from that beefy rig! Now I'm off to ArchtopWorld.com

  5. #204

    User Info Menu

    Welcome home Joe. She, and you ,sound wonderful. As all your guitars do. It ain't the arrow,it's the Indian. Are you using the Thomastic 12's or 13's on her? Good to have you back Joe. AG

  6. #205

    User Info Menu

    Nice to see you back Joe. Nice to hear your excellent playing again. Nice to see your reconciliation with jz.

    Nothing not to like about this. Welcome back!

  7. #206

    User Info Menu

    Glad you are back, Joe. Your big Heritage sounds very full and rich indeed. I confess to not remembering the way it sounded before, but the newly constructed pickup has sweet overtones and compression. It seems to respond well to a light touch, which I also like on my own guitars. Being truly satisfied with an instrument is not something to take for granted! (And sometimes we have to invest a bit of time and $ to get there.) So congrats.

    You should smile at the end of your performances.

  8. #207

    User Info Menu

    Joe, that sounds so wonderful ... really touching. That is what music is about. There are many ways to get there. Some get there with an army of pedals and loud amps ... and I confess that I like that too when it is done right ... but you get there with just a guitar and your hands and incredible taste.... thank you!

  9. #208

    User Info Menu

    Welcome back, Joe. Johnny Smith must surely be smiling for your continuation of his legacy and at how nice you make his guitar design sing. And ArchtopWorld.com is an absolute gem! Keep up the good work, and be happy!

  10. #209

    User Info Menu

    Hey Joe, playing is great as always. Love the tone of that guitar and it’s a beauty as well. Which KA pickup is that - the floating PAF/PAF-0? I was considering sending mine back to see if they can fix it since I stupidly broke mine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  11. #210

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Welcome back brother. I've always had great respect for your playing and it was nice to connect with you on a personal level as well. I'm not on here much anymore but when I do log in, it's so nice to check in on your work. Honestly, your solo playing has inspired me to want to spend a year working on that aspect of my playing.

    That guitar is *HUGE* though. I once owned a 1948 super 400 and it was just too much for me but sound-wise, there's nothing like an 18" heritage or gibson!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jack.
    I'm sure it wont take anywhere near a year for you to surpass what I've done.
    Yeah the 18" is a big-ass guitar. Like I've said here before, if I had to climb on it to play it, it would be worth it.
    JD

  12. #211

    User Info Menu

    Joe it's good to have you back man... And hearing the way the HJS sounds with the revamped pickup - that is the way the Angels at Heritage Drempt it to sound... Fine playing as always - the tone, tone, tone... Oh My !!!!

    Love ya buddy... really glad I sold that guitar to you.

    Big

  13. #212

    User Info Menu

    Two beautiful arrangements rendered by a master guitarist. Just perfect.



    Tony D.

  14. #213

    User Info Menu

    And Joe got his Rose


    Heritage Johnny Smith-3e42eb34-448e-4537-a820-d9d5e473c947-jpg

  15. #214

    User Info Menu

    The KA sounds magnificent. I do like it better than the Gibby JS pickup frankly. It is richer.

    The Heritage Floating #3 is a good choice, too. It is thinner in tonal spectrum and "airy" but articulate.

    I'm still playing around with a custom single coil on my Heritage JS. That's a joy, too

    All of them sound mighty fine. And going acoustic with round wounds is a treat as well.

    There's just not enough time!

  16. #215

    User Info Menu

    Joe,
    I got June to listen with me to “When
    I fall in Love”. A faultless performance
    she smiled all through the song. You
    have excelled yourself , absolutely
    beautiful rendition , The HJS sounds
    as clear as a bell
    congratulations our dear friend

    June and Alan

  17. #216

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The KA sounds magnificent. I do like it better than the Gibby JS pickup frankly. It is richer.
    The Heritage Floating #3 is a good choice, too. It is thinner in tonal spectrum and "airy" but articulate.
    I'm still playing around with a custom single coil on my Heritage JS. That's a joy, too
    All of them sound mighty fine. And going acoustic with round wounds is a treat as well.
    There's just not enough time!
    MG, I listened to When I fall in Love, which I also recorded on the Gibson Johnny Smith. Here is my take. I love playing the HJS18 more for some reason. But to my ears, the Gibson sounds better. I like the separation a little better. I am going to play my GJS for the next couple of weeks to see if my feelings are still the same.
    I am glad you kept your HJS. They are really special guitars. eSPECIALy with the Rose on the PickGuard..
    Thanks MG.
    And thanks again for rescuing this guitar from potentially ending up in the wrong hands. I am so glad I got it.

  18. #217

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    I got June to listen with me to “When
    I fall in Love”. A faultless performance
    she smiled all through the song. You
    have excelled yourself , absolutely
    beautiful rendition , The HJS sounds
    as clear as a bell
    congratulations our dear friend

    June and Alan
    FoxMan, It is so heartwarming that you have June listen to my stuff. I hope you noticed that thing I put in at the end. Its an un-Johnny-Like run that came to me when I watched the video of Natalie performing the song virtually with Nat. No matter how many times I watch that video, I fight back the tears. My throat tightens up like it did when I watched E.T. when I was younger. Natalie was amazing in that video. Another one who left us too soon.
    Thank you again my man. Give June a hug for me.

  19. #218

    User Info Menu

    Joe
    I don't know where one goes in the quest for tone after listening to your clips. If someone is looking for the ultimate sweetness and clarity of a floater on a big carved archtop, you have, I think, reached the highest point possible this side of the pearly gates.

    I'd hate to be one of your other guitars, just hanging on the wall feeling all lonesome!

  20. #219

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe
    I don't know where one goes in the quest for tone after listening to your clips. If someone is looking for the ultimate sweetness and clarity of a floater on a big carved archtop, you have, I think, reached the highest point possible this side of the pearly gates.

    I'd hate to be one of your other guitars, just hanging on the wall feeling all lonesome!
    Thanks Lawson.
    But you know, the tone being achieved on the "other Side" of the Pearly Gates is heavenly..
    St Peter is working the gates, saying "Wait, Wait, Wait I cant here you, can you say that again?"

    You are right, my other guitars are definitely not right lately. Especially the GJS. I actually think the EVO Gold frets are looking a little dull. They don't sparkle anymore.

    JD

  21. #220
    Glad you are back, like you I am a 'HUGE' Heritage fan and a 'HUGE' fan of Heritage (pun intended). An 18'" heritage sure fits the bill. I find your playing inspring and your tips invaluable. Glad you came back. I will have to check out your website.

    Kent is a master when it comes to rebuilding floating pickups. I couldn't believe the difference in sound for less than $150 bucks. Next guitar I get with a floater will get the 'Kent' treatment. take care

  22. #221

    User Info Menu

    The JGF is brighter and more vibrant with your return Joe. And thank you for all the work that you’ve put into your website. I know how much time that takes. I enjoyed exploring it and hope it continues to inspire others. Thank you for sharing your infectious love of jazz and the instruments of joy we all appreciate, compare, discuss and pursue. A nice series of interesting stops along life’s journey.

    I thought you were classy before, but the way you and JZ reconciled is a good example of the humility and decency our troubled world needs more of. You point to JS and JP as your inspiration. Well, watching/hearing you communicate from the heart through your four on six digital interface is one of the things that inspires me. Welcome back!

    Roli

  23. #222

    User Info Menu

    Hey Joe
    That Zoom G5n... if you use the auxiliary input to play with a backing track, does the signal out to the computer or other digital recorder carry the mix or just the guitar? So many of these units don't send the whole mix out the digital output, just the guitar.

  24. #223

    User Info Menu

    Hi Joe,

    Nice playing and really nice tone! It all starts with the heart and the fingers... clearly, you've worked hard to learn to translate a heartfelt love of jazz into the ability to think like a jazz player. And we all know that the ability to execute those heartfelt ideas as beautifully as you do requires even more hard work! Thanks for sharing these clips.

    Thanks also for sharing all the details about your gear on archtopworld.com. Reading the detailed exposé of your signal chain on the site leaves me with a couple questions about the nice sound in the two clips you posted to this thread.
    • I notice you are not wearing phones, so did you send output to an amp (your Twin? year?), or did you just play acoustically and let the signal chain capture whatever came out?
    • Is all the signal processing coming from the Zoom box? I hear a very subtle doubling (short delay) along with chorusing and reverb. It's a great sound. Again, everything starts with your heart and your fingers -- and I'll add that the KA pickup sounds great -- so I'm just wondering about the last couple details there... as a single-cord-into-a-nice-tube-amp kinda guy, this intrigues me :-)


    Thanks again for sharing the music and the deets of your rig!

    SJ

  25. #224

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Hi Joe,

    Nice playing and really nice tone! It all starts with the heart and the fingers... clearly, you've worked hard to learn to translate a heartfelt love of jazz into the ability to think like a jazz player. And we all know that the ability to execute those heartfelt ideas as beautifully as you do requires even more hard work! Thanks for sharing these clips.

    Thanks also for sharing all the details about your gear on archtopworld.com. Reading the detailed exposé of your signal chain on the site leaves me with a couple questions about the nice sound in the two clips you posted to this thread.
    • I notice you are not wearing phones, so did you send output to an amp (your Twin? year?), or did you just play acoustically and let the signal chain capture whatever came out?
    • Is all the signal processing coming from the Zoom box? I hear a very subtle doubling (short delay) along with chorusing and reverb. It's a great sound. Again, everything starts with your heart and your fingers -- and I'll add that the KA pickup sounds great -- so I'm just wondering about the last couple details there... as a single-cord-into-a-nice-tube-amp kinda guy, this intrigues me :-)


    Thanks again for sharing the music and the deets of your rig!

    SJ
    thank you Starjasmine.
    Im sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Sometimes i do record with headphones.
    Since i practice exclusively with open back headphones I know what the guitar sounds like so I don’t need to hear it through a monitor (headphones) all the time.
    Yes all the processing is coming from the Zoom G5n. It’s the guitar into a patch that is simply Fender Twin amp simulation into the HD Reverb. I think the HD Reverb might use a delay, but no chorus (please no, God forbid).. The chorusing might be the guitar itself. The large body tends to allow sound to swirl a bit.
    I hope that helps.
    Thanks again for the heart and fingers reference. I am glad that shows through during the performance. I get nervous when I record and I sometimes lose the feel when it gets mixed in with the jitters. I appreciate the nice things you said.
    Joe D

  26. #225

    User Info Menu

    And Joe... it blows my mind you can do this with a pick. I used to play solo guitar exclusively finger-style, but realized my line playing was losing its bite, so about 3 years ago I went to almost exclusively playing with the pick, and now even for solo guitar I am a little more comfortable with the pick.

    DO you also do the Joe Pass stuff with the walking basses and all that with a pick? I should find your clips and check for myself, but I'd be interested in your musings on the differences of technique playing Johnny Smith and Joe Pass tunes. Two epic guitarists, but also with two rather different takes on how to do solo guitar.

    And you nail them both! If you weren't such a nice guy, I'd resent you! (KIDDING)

  27. #226

    User Info Menu

    Sorry I missed this post earlier, Joe, I've been taking time out from playing lately. Of course, it's great to see you back. Look how happy you have made many people! Remember that when or if times get dark again.

    As for the guitar and pick-up - pleased for you, but I'd be happy to listen to you on a cheap tele. Soul and sensitivity is all you need, and you have an embarrassment of riches in that regard. See you around, Joe.

  28. #227

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    And Joe... it blows my mind you can do this with a pick. I used to play solo guitar exclusively finger-style, but realized my line playing was losing its bite, so about 3 years ago I went to almost exclusively playing with the pick, and now even for solo guitar I am a little more comfortable with the pick.

    DO you also do the Joe Pass stuff with the walking basses and all that with a pick? I should find your clips and check for myself, but I'd be interested in your musings on the differences of technique playing Johnny Smith and Joe Pass tunes. Two epic guitarists, but also with two rather different takes on how to do solo guitar.

    And you nail them both! If you weren't such a nice guy, I'd resent you! (KIDDING)
    hey Lawson.
    thanks my man. The Joe Pass walking bass with chord stuff is hard to do with a pick.
    Ive done a couple of things that way. I think Giant Steps. But it’s much easier to do it fingerstyle.
    One of the things I want to do soon is loop some progressions with running bass and improvise to them.
    Thats gonna be fun.
    JD

  29. #228

    User Info Menu

    Hello Everyone.
    Just a little early Christmas cheer. The Christmas Song on the 18" Heritage Johnny Smith.
    I hope you enjoy the video.


    It is based on Tony Mottola's arrangement. I heard this just last week for the first time. One of the most beautiful tunes of all time.
    Thanks Guys.
    Joe DeNisco

  30. #229

    User Info Menu

    Sounds great, Joe. I had a 17" Johnny Smith from Heritage and like an idiot, I sold it. Talk about big regrets.

  31. #230

    User Info Menu

    Joe that was beautiful and I have additional proof. I was just listening to on my iPhone and Mrs D heard it in the room and said that sounds nice who is it.

    I said Joe D........the Man With The Guitar. Clean and crisp Tony M is clapping.

  32. #231

    User Info Menu



    My man you make that guitar sound great. I’m glad you got Your Rose...

    Big

  33. #232

    User Info Menu

    hah Joe D bringin in the rhythm section!!! very nice..beautiful tone...long sweet sustaining notes

    christmas comes early

    cheers

    ps- perfect outro!!

  34. #233

    User Info Menu

    Beautifully executed arrangement of a beautiful song on a beautiful guitar.

    Another L-5 and another vintage DA may be in your future, but if it isn't meant to happen, no worries. With your two Johnny Smiths, you really have all you need. Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.

  35. #234

    User Info Menu

    Beautifully played Joe! The HJS compliments your playing style just perfectly. The extra body size adds a depth to the note that’s just right.

    One of my favorite Christmas tunes - thanks for sharing.

  36. #235

    User Info Menu

    Simply beautiful.

    Where'd you get the backing track?

    You hit the looper gracefully I thought. But even if you pulled a hamstring, suffering for your art makes it so much sweeter. (Not really.)

  37. #236

    User Info Menu

    Thank you MG.
    I created the backing track on the looper on my G5n.
    I appreciate the guitar that you resurrected from possibly falling into the wrong hands. Thanks to you and Mikey, I have the best guitar I’ve ever owned.
    Joe D

  38. #237

    User Info Menu

    I've got a 15" driver I'm building an open back cabinet for to use with a little old Ampeg "flip top" tube amp.

    I'll need a bit of reverb for that setup as there's none in that amp.

    What's your reverb coming from?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  39. #238

    User Info Menu

    rNeil,
    My Reverb is Zoom’s HD Reverb. It’s stereo so it’s heavenly with headphones.
    Are you restoring an Ampeg Fountain of sound amp? That would be as cool as it gets.
    Joe D

  40. #239

    User Info Menu

    I was eyeballing this guitar for a long time. Price came down a bit more and I said HELL YEAH... What I LIKE about this baby is it doesn't have that doggone finger tailpiece (hated it !!) and it's got a Bartolini 5J neck mounted and a real decent G brand looking pick guard with volume AND tone control. Tuners are Grover non stair step... Price was right.
    That Johnny Smith tailpiece was NOS and looks great ($500.00 on eBay).

    Aside from the non standard hardware which I like I LOVE this ice tea sunburst. I love that it's not dark anywhere, so you can really see what great wood they used to make this. The seller is a great guy and I may be doing more business with him because we got along and there's no bull with this guy...

    It gets here Friday, same day the Golden Eagle arrives...

    Big

    Heritage Johnny Smith-46921964_10156067170642239_7420608326662094848_o-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-46872010_10156067170617239_8450332173306691584_o-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-47018444_10156067170562239_3828271751570128896_o-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-46816825_10156067170542239_1665170764963250176_o-jpg

  41. #240

    User Info Menu

    Heritage Johnny Smith-47005070_10156067170432239_1551511374666924032_o-1-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-46733095_10156067170342239_8054014920766783488_o-1-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-46831327_10156067170387239_2852025294347304960_o-1-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-46921964_10156067170642239_7420608326662094848_o-jpg

  42. #241

    User Info Menu

    Heritage Johnny Smith-47105675_10156067170352239_121647174768394240_o-1-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-46818533_10156067170452239_6753558523583397888_o-1-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-46831362_10156067170462239_3135386247032209408_o-1-jpg

  43. #242

    User Info Menu

    Im going to post a few photos that aren't dumbed down by Facebook, the rotation might be "wrong" but I want their fully glory showing... This is by far the nicest wood on any HJS I've ever seen...

    Big.

    Heritage Johnny Smith-s-l1600-14-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-s-l1600-6-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-s-l1600-2-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-s-l1600-6-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-s-l1600-2-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-s-l1600-3-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-s-l1600-5-jpg

  44. #243

    User Info Menu

    You guys make me jealous. I had a HJS and I sold it along with a bunch of other guitars for a D'Angelico. I don't regret the sale but I sure do miss my HJS. Congrats, Mike.

  45. #244

    User Info Menu

    2b approves of this purchase! Nice score BM!


  46. #245

    User Info Menu

    Heritage Johnny Smith-5605c376-2b39-4dfc-a62b-8b140212856e-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-30f32964-bd9f-4799-8975-b0faf01ffe1f-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-706d44d9-ab93-4f15-ba7d-e43490463e73-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-540bf477-41a6-430c-aafe-dd6fdade1e46-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-023ebe20-bafa-4110-acab-f25390e0a33b-jpg

  47. #246

    User Info Menu

    Heritage Johnny Smith-e65e0b85-ed5b-4eb1-9108-d17f98b220ee-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-8e5fbbb7-b3cd-43c5-882a-ff1bd5ccdedf-jpg?both boxes arrived back to back, about 3 hours early !!!

  48. #247

    User Info Menu

    I love that finish.