The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 247
    I for one am glad to see Heritage shining on this guitar thread. Joe, you are a great player and I am looking forward to a video or two in the near future of you taking that guitar through its paces. I love Heritage guitars and it is great when someone discovers something special. Knowing that you have/had DA's, Gibsons, and other fine archtops and describe your Heritage second to none puts a smile on the face of many Heritage owners (including me). Looking forward to a video or two.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rhoadscholar,
    Thanks buddy.
    If I had any amount of money in the world and I could have any luthier build me a guitar, I honestly think I couldn't be more perfectly suited to my style of playing than this wonderful guitar is. Now truth be told, this is a miracle guitar. Its 22 years old. It looks like it was made yesterday. I have no idea what its been through in its life. But to me, It is a perfect guitar.

I started learning "Whats New" over the weekend because I wanted to do something fresh on the Guitar. Part of the way through the tune I realized that very much like "Maid with the Flaxen Hai"r, I would not play the tune much and I would probably forget how to play it a week after I recorded it. So I changed gears a little and decided to take on "Autumn Nocturne" instead. Its shorter, full of tricks and it will keep my interest and stick in my head. Give me a couple of weeks.

One thing I must say. The stock pickup that Heritage used on this guitar is the PERFECT pickup for this guitar. It basically amplifies the natural sound of the guitar. I think its an incredible pickup. It is the perfect compliment to the Chord Melody machine that this guitar is. I love the thing. I really do.

Thanks,
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

The Heritage Floating #3 is a wonderful pickup. Most people want a hotter pickup than this was designed to be. But for a low output, articulate pup that gives no hum, the #3 works very well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The Heritage Floating #3 is a wonderful pickup. Most people want a hotter pickup than this was designed to be. But for a low output, articulate pup that gives no hum, the #3 works very well.
    And as you know Kent Armstrong installs his hand wound pickup in the housing of a Heritage #3. The black non cutaway GE came with the KA pickup mod. I liked #3 floaters as they are until I heard the KA mod

User Info Menu

Here's a couple of new Heritage links.

Teddy has been there forever.

After almost 50 years making guitars in Kalamazoo, it's time to go fishing | MLive.com

A video.

User Info Menu

great vid...thanks

"you take a look at the guitar..they're a beautiful thing!"

amen!

cheers

ps- good luck to teddy b..catch some whoppers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-06-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

Wow, a $12M property renovation in the works and remaining in Kalamazoo - Kewl!

User Info Menu

Heritage Johnny Smiths were made from 1992 until about 2000. Almost all of them were exactly as JP Moats and Johnny Smith designed them. Almost.

In 1992, Don Dean, a Heritage dealer, guitar collector, and player ordered an 18" HJS in a rose natural finish. That has been shown on the JGF before. Don favored 18" archtops. Being a friend of some of the Heritage owners, they made the exception in size for him.

Four years later, Don ordered another 18" HJS, this time in natural with a triple binding on the f holes. I'm assuming it is tap tuned since Don ordered the first one that way. He kept this one until his death in 2014.

Here's an interview with Don along with pix. Scotty Moore - Don Dean

There were three other off sized HJS, all of them 16". One has a Florentine cutaway. I don't know where those are anymore.

If all goes by plan, I should have the 1996 HJS by the end of the week.

Heritage Johnny Smith-4-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-5-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-6-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-9-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-10-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-12-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-13-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-15-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-don-dean-2-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-super-js-don-dean-jpg

User Info Menu

SWEET !!

Will be nice to see YOUR photos of it once you get it.
    18 inches huh ?? Whoa !!

Big

User Info Menu

Most people find an 18" Heritage not too bulky because the depth is 3". A Super 400 is deeper and longer. For many, that model is pushing it.

I'll clean it up and reshoot it.

User Info Menu

Is it truly any different than a super eagle in JS trim? Didn't you own an 18" HJS just a year ago?

User Info Menu

Congrats in advance Mark. My Heritage built D'Angelico II is a bit thicker than 3 inches, but is still more comfortable than my Super 400. Between you and Big Mike, you guys could open a Heritage Guitar museum. Perhaps a virtual museum in the form of a web page might be worthwhile?

User Info Menu

When Patrick was alive, He told me this.. "MartyGrass is thecapo di tu ti capo of Archtop guitars... He knows about every Guitar from Coast to Coast". Well Patrick, here is proof once again that you know your stuff..

Don Dean, god bless his soul was a music store owner who was a hell of a player. He played with Merle Travis and Bucky Pizzarelli (and probably many people in between). I told MG 2 days ago, "this guitar his some licks in it. Just look at The pic of Don and the 6 fret stretch.. You gotta get this one". Well, its incoming.. I couldn't be happier for MG. From the pictures MG sent me, it appears as though this guitar is a good detailing away from being a masterpiece.

I am thrilled that you are getting this Guitar MG. Thrilled.

Thanks, Joe D.

User Info Menu

Tal Farlow hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Is it truly any different than a super eagle in JS trim? Didn't you own an 18" HJS just a year ago?
    HJS has a neck block that is somehow different. It's the way Johnny Smith and JP Moats worked out the design. There's no fretboard overhang. I think it's the same design as with the Gibson JS, but I may be wrong.

The input jack is in the reinforced rim.

Premium woods are used in the HJS but only sometimes with the SE.

The guitar is tap tuned.

The nut is 1 3/4" and the scale length is 25". This is larger and smaller, respectively, than the SE.

The dimensions are the same otherwise.

The SE is dolled up elegantly with binding and inlays but differently than the HJS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats in advance Mark. My Heritage built D'Angelico II is a bit thicker than 3 inches, but is still more comfortable than my Super 400. Between you and Big Mike, you guys could open a Heritage Guitar museum. Perhaps a virtual museum in the form of a web page might be worthwhile?
    I am spiffing up a few Heritages to put on loan to the Kalamazoo Valley Museum, perhaps for the annual Fretboard Festival. That's the driving reason for getting this HJS and also the Unity I recently acquired.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    HJS has a neck block that is somehow different. It's the way Johnny Smith and JP Moats worked out the design. There's no fretboard overhang. I think it's the same design as with the Gibson JS, but I may be wrong.

The input jack is in the reinforced rim.

Premium woods are used in the HJS but only sometimes with the SE.

The guitar is tap tuned.

The nut is 1 3/4" and the scale length is 25". This is larger and smaller, respectively, than the SE.

The dimensions are the same otherwise.

The SE is dolled up elegantly with binding and inlays but differently than the HJS.

emphasis added. Also, SE has 2 set-in humbuckers (there are custom SE's with a single set-in HB). The HJS is always a floater.

The closest production model to an HJS is a Golden Eagle which is similar to an SE but has a floater.

On the used market there are guitars listed as SE's with floaters, these are either listing errors or Heritage has been labeling GE's as SE's.
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 08-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    SE has 2 set-in humbuckers

The closest production model to an HJS is a Golden Eagle which is similar to an SE but has a floater.

On the used market there are guitars listed as SE's with floaters, these are either listing errors or Heritage has been labeling GE's as SE's.
    Heritage has actually put out a few custom ordered SE with floaters. They are quite rare though.

User Info Menu

MG,
    the HJS, even bulked up to 18" will look very bland next to the Unity. I'm not sure you want to show them side by side like that. There is, However, an exposition at my house that very same month that would be more than happy to display your HJS! How ironic! Who knows, they might even get some hack to make some Johnny Smith and Joe Pass Video's on it.. Just Sayin..
    And there is a very real possibility that when its returned to you, it might have the upgraded Brown Sunburst pickguard on it, as opposed to the scratched up, listless, unimaginative one that is on there now.
    Its up to you!!
    L,J

User Info Menu

I had a hunch Joe D. was going to try and get that pickguard with the inlaid rose...

User Info Menu

What? That is a rose on there? I never would have known.
    I thought it was pick marks.
    L,J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I had a hunch Joe D. was going to try and get that pickguard with the inlaid rose...
    He's not the only one, I just haven't figured out a way to get my hands on Marty Gras' HJS so I can swap the pick guard with mine. That's even nicer than Heritage's bound ebony pick guards.

User Info Menu

Then there is mine...one of the most exquisite guitars I've ever played. Action lower than a shredder guitar with no buzz...no idea how that's possible. That's a Kent Armstrong engine under that golden pickup hood.

Heritage Johnny Smith-img_5609-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes, that's right, the guitar Marty Grass got in August...
    With all the buying I'd done I still had a jones for a Johnny Smith and looking around the best one for me was the 18... So I contacted Marty and it'll be here later today. You know the one... Go Big or Go Home...

Heritage Johnny Smith-johnny20smith203_zpszpq4u5nw-2-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith-don20dean201_zpshzrdf5nh-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow Mike. I am surprised that MG is selling you that Guitar. I actually don't have the words.
    Guitars like that don't come around everyday. Very cool. You are a very fortunate guy.

I think by now you are certainly qualified to start teaching us the differences that distinguish one of these Guitars from the next. Like compare the 17" to the 18" Unity. Then compare the 18" HJS to the 18" Unity. Give us your opinion on the REAL (not theoretical) differences between guitars with floaters vs pickups cut into the top. Christ, you can discover stuff for the next 15 years with all the superb guitars you got.

Not many people have the ability to do this. Same hands, same amp.. I am anxious to hear your thoughts.

I am really happy that you are doing exactly what you want. You are living a dream right now. That is so cool.

Joe D.