Posts 1 to 25 of 204

User Info Menu

I love a 'reasonably-priced' guitar.

About two-thirds of the way thru this bunch of pix you'll
    see what looks like several different width/depth arch top offerings:

GALLERY: Summer NAMM 2016 Day 2 | Premier Guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The claim is that all the guitars feature solid spruce tops, but I wonder if any are carved.

Thanks, Klatu, for moving the photo. I wouldn't know how.

User Info Menu

Those are Epiphones? Nice!

User Info Menu

Those look fantastic to me!

I just hope they don't all have the big retro V neck.

User Info Menu

Video from Premier Guitar.

User Info Menu

I want that Olympic!

User Info Menu

The video was informative, although the presenter suggests that the viewer refer to their website for further information, yet nothing is up yet concerning these new guitars. I was somewhat disappointed that the Epiphone representative didn't have the details about the woods used for the back and sides and failed to mention whether the top was solid pressed or carved.

User Info Menu

Very interesting and nice to see that the archtop is on its way back. I wonder what the price range is going to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    Very interesting and nice to see that the archtop is on its way back. I wonder what the price range is going to be.
    Premier Guitar say $500-$899 street.

User Info Menu

Acoustic sound is pretty darn good. Pickup sounds awful.

Too bad they couldn't find anybody to play some damn jazz on it.

User Info Menu

A few historical discrepancies include Triumph inlays on a Deluxe model and ebony fingerboards on the Deluxe and Zenith. Interestingly enough, the original Epiphone company didn't use ebony on any of their guitars because they felt that rosewood provided a tonal advantage.

User Info Menu

piezo alone is never gonna give that classic jazz tone..

but nice, epi masterbilts are good bang for the buck usually

cheers

ps- btw, this is actually the new epi century..but it's not part of the masterbilt century series..
    thinline goin for 599$

Epiphone Century-century-epiphonex770-png
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-25-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

Nice! I would imagine they have a pressed solid top, like most offerings for that price...

User Info Menu

The presenter doesn't know if the sides and back are laminate....really?

Does Gibson own this modern day Epiphone company?

User Info Menu

Posted by an Epiphone rep on the official Gibson/Epiphone forum:

"It's Summer NAMM week in Nashville, TN and Epiphone is taking this opportunity to give our retailers a preview of our new Masterbilt Century collection of "acoustic/electric" archtops. Our official consumer announcement will be on July 1st with guitars starting to arrive at authorized Epiphone retailers beginning in August. Estimated U.S. street prices are: Olympic $599, Zeniths $739 and De Luxes $899. Hard cases are optional. In addition to this information, here is a preview of our upcoming advertisement just for you, our loyal forum members.

As always, thanks for your continued support and please be sure to visit Epiphone.com on July 1st for everything you need to know about this exciting new collection.

Thanks again,
    Epiphone"

Epiphone Century-image-jpeg

User Info Menu

I'll have a Zenith. It's pretty much written

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'll have a Zenith. It's pretty much written
    Strike that, deluxe with f holes? Whichever one mr. Black fingernail polish is enjoying.

User Info Menu

nice, I'm looking to switch to an acoustic archtop, better keep an eye out on these when (if) they reach my area

Looks like they have nicely elevated fingerboards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Strike that, deluxe with f holes? Whichever one mr. Black fingernail polish is enjoying.
    I wonder what kind of fingernail polish he uses?

I'm trying to imagine Barney Kessel with black fingernail polish...

but.it.just.won't.come.

User Info Menu

Finally, rivals to The Loar. Must check them out. I hope they reach Edinburgh.

User Info Menu

nice to see gibson finally goin back to the roots of the great epiphone guitar dynasty...they have pretty much ignored the great epi tradition since they bought them out 1/2 century ago...these masterbilt series archtops are a start..lets hope some old epi electric archtop designs will follow!!! epi emperor anyone??

btw, these new masterbilts look to have satin finishes..but a buff out would get you closer to vintage epi territory

cheers

ps- a good read

Epiphone Century-34474-jpg
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-25-2016 at 06:57 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

We need to be clear about one thing: The Masterbuilts will be good guitars, but nobody is going back to the roots of Epiphone. These guitars will be made in factories in Asia somewhere, rolling off the same lines as the guitars coming out with other brands. Various details of fit and finish, and accessorizing, will be specified, but we all know factory-built budget guitars from Korea or China are going to be useful, but nobody is fantasizing that we will be returning to the house of Stathopoulo. Unless they tell me the solid tops are hand-carved, I'm assuming pressed or solid-formed.

Now, nothing's wrong with this, but I don't see anything here but (a) bringing out a line that appeals to a certain market (b) tooling up to manufacture that line at budget prices.

Whey they bring back the full Elitist line of Epiphones, like the Elitist Broadway with the solid-carved top, I'll start talking about sipping Greek coffee with Mr. S.

User Info Menu

ls- same can be said for anything and everything..is fender fender?? leo sold to cbs in 65..gibson hasnt been gibson since the 20's! jensen speaker a jensen? your ford a ford? your fiesta dishware real fiesta? becks beer is brewed in texas!

nothing is what it was..including us!!

but it's nice to see the classic stylings finally paid some attention to..despite the modernizing touches!!

cheers