The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 204

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well then...lets hope it's the former possibility and not just the latter.
    Hope...pray...make sacrifices to the eldritch abominations from beyond time...oh yes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeBob

I've been hoping to try out one of the Epi Masterbilt Century guitars, but I've never seen one in the flesh. I did run across the new Epi Century thinline over the weekend, though. I wasn't impressed. I never bothered to plug it in. Considering that it's priced at $599 and GC just sold a boatload of D'A Excel series EXL-1 at the same price, the decision to buy the EXL-1 was a no-brainer. The Epi Century isn't even in the same league as the D'A. I know that this comparison is inherently unfair, given the huge difference in MSRP between those two guitars, but my comparison is based on the fact that last week you could buy either guitar for the same price during the GC sale. I'm still waiting for the chance to play one of the Epi Masterbilt guitars. I'm thinking that with an add-on pup they might be interesting.
    The local L&M has had 2 of these in. I was excited when I saw the first one because I've always liked the look of the Gibson ES-125T, but, living where I do, I've never seen one in the flesh and I'm not about to buy a guitar that I've never played. This is about as close as I'm going to get. That first one was a dog. Useful if you were out in a canoe and lost the paddle.

I was up there again today and they had another one in. I was waiting for something so, to kill time, I picked it up. Completely different experience. This one was well made, great playing, warm and full sounding and loud. So loud that I could easily use it for practice unplugged. Never plugged it in, though, so I have no idea what the P90 sounds like. Now I'm thinking......
    Last edited by darkwaters; 11-28-2017 at 09:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    The local L&M has had 2 of these in. I was excited when I saw the first one because I've always liked the look of the Gibson ES-125T, but, living where I do, I've never seen one in the flesh and I'm not about to buy a guitar that I've never played. This is about as close as I'm going to get. That first one was a dog. Useful if you were out in a canoe and lost the paddle.

I was up there again today and they had another one in. I was waiting for something so, to kill time, I picked it up. Completely different experience. This one was well made, great playing, warm and full sounding and loud. So loud that I could easily use it for practice unplugged. Never plugged it in, though, so I have no idea what the P90 sounds like. Now I'm thinking......
    The P90 is a very rugged design and even the asian budget ones don't sound too far off a good original one, so if I were you I would know what to do......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    The P90 is a very rugged design and even the asian budget ones don't sound too far off a good original one, so if I were you I would know what to do......
    My keys. My keys. Where are my %#% keys !

User Info Menu

Yeah, i tried one of those recently too and thought it was really cool. Big fat neck, too, nice.

User Info Menu

I kinda want one now. darn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I kinda want one now. darn.
    They'd be a great kick-around play on the couch guitar, but also something you could actually play out, too. If I didn't have a Godin Kingpin I'd want one of these.

I like helping people decide to spend money

User Info Menu

We're all enablers here !

This (long, overly talky) video gives, I think, a great display of all the sounds available. At 8:50 you get to hear it's jazz side. Very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    They'd be a great kick-around play on the couch guitar, but also something you could actually play out, too. If I didn't have a Godin Kingpin I'd want one of these.

I like helping people decide to spend money
    I think of one of those with a little 5W valve amp I could gun would be great for Charlie Christian-esque stuff.

User Info Menu

They look cool too. Would go great a nice dark suit.

User Info Menu

Haha - BTW has anyone done that? Chosen a guitar cos it goes with your tie or something.

You could open up a closet and have 20 different Teles with different colours and patterns to go with whatever suit and tie you were wearing that day.

Haha - BTW has anyone done that? Chosen a guitar cos it goes with your tie or something.

You could open up a closet and have 20 different Teles with different colours and patterns to go with whatever suit and tie you were wearing that day.
    Years ago, I bought a flat-top Martin to celebrate my divorce, with the last cash I had left from being liquidated.

I'll remember your suggestion, just in case I can ever buy another fiddle again.

User Info Menu

"I pitty the fool who can't discern a real from a fake thing" Bob Brenchamon

User Info Menu

I don't have a guitar with a P90, TBF

User Info Menu

I wonder what style hat would go with a P90..... Fedora ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Hope...pray...make sacrifices to the eldritch abominations from beyond time...oh yes.
    What? Keith Richards?

User Info Menu

I wonder what style hat would go with a P90..... Fedora ?
    Epiphone Century-download-jpg

User Info Menu

Epiphone Century-hat-jpg

User Info Menu

What? Keith Richards?
    Hadn't thought of him but yes, absolutely!

Here's my shirt/hat/guitar combo BTW, though the guitar is gone and needs replacing:

Epiphone Century-me-6-2013-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Hadn't thought of him but yes, absolutely!

Here's my shirt/hat/guitar combo BTW, though the guitar is gone and needs replacing:

Epiphone Century-me-6-2013-jpg
    That's pretty killer. Do you all have matching outfits in the band?

User Info Menu

Fun, cowjazz!

User Info Menu

I was looking for my friend Ben Somers who has a video of his country band with matching outfits like that but couldn't find that.

As a consolation here he is playing some country stuff with Guthrie Govan guesting on guitar.

User Info Menu

If "Cowjazz" isn't one of the best names for a band I've heard lately, I dunno what. Isn't there a band called Cow Bop though? Damn!

That is some sweet picking, Christian. Fine band. I'm tempted to go on a rant about what people think of as country nowadays, but meh, it's been done. Your friend's band, that's country. Great boogie on the Tele there. Not in a band at present, and on a serious search for the right guitar. That Loar I'm holding was not it, unfortunately. I'd love to get a band like that going, though, and the shirt is a standard Rockmount BTW that can be had from several online retailers, so matching is do-able.

This is veering OT maybe, but when I discovered Western swing, it was like the lights went on. Guys from the southwest playing swing jazz with steel guitar and fiddles. Big Charlie Christian influence in both tune choice and guitar stylings. I'd always heard country, and jazz, but it made me feel like I'd found the thing I'd been looking for all my music-obsessed life. BTW since I was born in Calgary I am entitled by law to wear a white cowboy hat at even the toniest functions.

Maybe that's why I fell in love at first sight with the Epi Century Deluxe when I discovered it. It looks the part; and I'll cry big sloppy tears of gratitude if they actually do it all right at some point.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike, it’s not me on guitar btw. Just in case you think it is!

User Info Menu

Nope, I got that it's your friend.

Just learned there's a band called Cowjazz AND a band called Cow Bop. As I once said when I heard about System Of A Down - all the good names have obviously been taken.