The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 204

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeBob
    Can engineers who have never heard the sound of a real EH-185 ever be successful in designing a reissue?
    Or will this just end up being like the outcome of 4 blind men trying to describe the color pink to one another?

Close?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've noticed recently that Sweetwater & GC are listing a few of these models as "in stock".

Has anybody here got their hands on one yet? I'm dying to try one out !

User Info Menu

Nice video from Reverb.com

User Info Menu

capo'd zenith with ribbon mic sounded real nice..potential is there!

cheers

User Info Menu

I wish they had made the sound holes oval as I think it would add to the retro-aesthetic. There are enough round-hole acoustics.

User Info Menu

Just saw these in Sweetwater's weekly email. I'm infactuated!

I am, however, disappointed in the lack of jazz musicians playing them in their various vids. This makes me think that either A) their marketing department forgot jazz existed when asked to sell a jazz box guitar, or B) the jazz musicians that they have filmed don't like them. The group in the Airstream seem to all be folk artists treating it like a novelty.

Still, I want to play one.

User Info Menu

Anyone catch these?

User Info Menu

Any spotted in the UK yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo
    I wish they had made the sound holes oval as I think it would add to the retro-aesthetic. There are enough round-hole acoustics.

but not archtops!!!

a round hole archtop is pretty unique these days

cheers

User Info Menu

Just wondering if anyone has pulled the trigger on one of these.
    It looks like the Zenith, Olympic, and round-hole Deluxe are in stock on-schedule.
    GC says the F-hole Deluxe is on pre-order for delivery in 2017.

User Info Menu

Stopped in at one of the more reputable dealers in town asking about the Epiphone Masterbuilts. They have them on order. Got a good review from one of the guys who went to NAMM. Stated he thought them to be a good value for the dollar.
    We are anxiously waiting.......

User Info Menu

2017? Maybe I have enough time to sell a couple dust collectors before they become available... With a little left over to upgrade to a reissue deArmond. 8 - )

User Info Menu

Here's a new video from Epiphone demonstrating the Masterbilt Century Zenith Classic archtop with the much-maligned Epiphone Century amp. The tone of the guitar is way different from the other demo, it doesn't sound like a piezo pickup. It could be the guys playing, but the tone reminds me of old acoustic archtop recordings. Somehow they fixed the hum on the amp they are using.

Last edited by zephyrregent; 08-16-2016 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    Here's a new video from Epiphone demonstrating the Masterbilt Century Zenith Classic archtop with the much-maligned Epiphone Century amp. The tone of the guitar is way different from the other demo, it doesn't sound like a piezo pickup. It could be the guys playing, but the tone reminds me of old acoustic archtop recordings. Somehow they fixed the hum on the amp they are using.

not a great tone: the high E and B are buzzing...

User Info Menu

Looks like complete garbage. And those promotional videos are... embarrassing. A dude who knows 3 chords, jeez louise. How hard is it to find someone who knows a thing or two?

User Info Menu

I got a chance to play a Vintageburst Deluxe F-hole model today. It just came into my favorite local shop.

Here's some first impressions:

It's a very attractive guitar, with nice build quality and an interesting semi-gloss finish. Great looking headstock & the tuners seem nice too. Feels solid. On the topic of Feeling solid, the neck is quite a chunk of wood. Surprisingly thick -- I'm guessing some will love it, some won't. I didn't hate it, but I'm not sure I dig it either. I played a couple of Gibson acoustics too for contrast and their necks felt like toothpicks in comparison.

Acoustic tone was very pleasing, but not as loud as I had hoped for -- I got more volume out of the flattops. I'm wondering if the roundhole Deluxe will be any louder? Regardless, it was fun to play.

Plugged in is where I suspect many jazzers will be scratching their heads. The piezo pickup sounds just like a piezo pickup and I'm guessing it will leave many players wanting for a humbucker. I like the volume & tone controls -- very nicely done. I played for a bit through a Deluxe Reverb and was surprised to produce a moment of howling feedback at a very modest volume. I'll bet quite a few of these will end up getting traditional floaters installed.

I didn't take home the Deluxe F-hole, as I'm curious about the roundhole Deluxe and also about the little Olympic. So I'm waiting to take those for a spin when they come in. I'll probably end up taking one home in the end, as I think they are cool and a very good value for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Plugged in is where I suspect many jazzers will be scratching their heads. The piezo pickup sounds just like a piezo pickup and I'm guessing it will leave many players wanting for a humbucker. I like the volume & tone controls -- very nicely done. I played for a bit through a Deluxe Reverb and was surprised to produce a moment of howling feedback at a very modest volume. I'll bet quite a few of these will end up getting traditional floaters installed.
    From their marketing they're definitely going for the Indie/Americana set, rather than Jazzers. Which is too bad because these would have made really cool old-timey Jazz guitars. I suppose you could mount a floating mini to it, but it is very much a missed opportunity.

When these were first announced, I had just bought my AFJ91, and I was all like, "aw man, I shoulda held out." I'll still try one, but from what it seems, I made the right choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmjones
    From their marketing they're definitely going for the Indie/Americana set, rather than Jazzers. Which is too bad because these would have made really cool old-timey Jazz guitars. I suppose you could mount a floating mini to it, but it is very much a missed opportunity.

When these were first announced, I had just bought my AFJ91, and I was all like, "aw man, I shoulda held out." I'll still try one, but from what it seems, I made the right choice.
    Well a piezo archtop could be pretty handy for early jazz stuff, if it sounds good (big if :-))

I'll be giving these a try...

User Info Menu

I got a chance to play a Vintageburst Deluxe F-hole model today. It just came into my favorite local shop.

Here's some first impressions:

It's a very attractive guitar, with nice build quality and an interesting semi-gloss finish. Great looking headstock & the tuners seem nice too. Feels solid. On the topic of Feeling solid, the neck is quite a chunk of wood. Surprisingly thick -- I'm guessing some will love it, some won't. I didn't hate it, but I'm not sure I dig it either. I played a couple of Gibson acoustics too for contrast and their necks felt like toothpicks in comparison.

Acoustic tone was very pleasing, but not as loud as I had hoped for -- I got more volume out of the flattops. I'm wondering if the roundhole Deluxe will be any louder? Regardless, it was fun to play.

I didn't take home the Deluxe F-hole, as I'm curious about the roundhole Deluxe and also about the little Olympic. So I'm waiting to take those for a spin when they come in. I'll probably end up taking one home in the end, as I think they are cool and a very good value for the money.
    How bright was it ?
    The demos all seem very bright

They look great to me , could they be tamed
    With flatwounds ? And a neck mounted or set-in
    Pickup do you think ?
    More hassle than its worth when one could
    Just get an epi 175 premium or something

I like mellow

User Info Menu

know that a piezo works off the vibrations recieved from the guitar within the pickup...really doesn't matter what type of strings you use..even rubberbands..as long as they set off same vibrations within the pickup...

magnetic pickups work from the actual magnetic vibrations of the strings..why gauge & string material makes huge difference!!

piezo pickups are realtively recent to guitar amplification...vintage jazz tone was all magnetic pups

as i wrote ^...these new epi's with a dearmond pup would be way more vintage jazzy

cheers

User Info Menu

Not much to love about piezos, so far as I'm concerned. Good against feedback, but even under drastic EQ too clickety for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    know that a piezo works off the vibrations recieved from the guitar within the pickup...really doesn't matter what type of strings you use..even rubberbands..as long as they set off same vibrations within the pickup...

magnetic pickups work from the actual magnetic vibrations of the strings..why gauge & string material makes huge difference!!

piezo pickups are realtively recent to guitar amplification...vintage jazz tone was all magnetic pups

as i wrote ^...these new epi's with a dearmond pup would be way more vintage jazzy

cheers
    Depends how vintage you mean. I'm talking about the pre-electric era. Also, IMO, magnetic pickup sounds a bit naff for rhythm guitar in jazz. Notice that even during the post war era, rhythm guitar was usually played on an acoustic archtop (people like Jim Hall and Tal Farlow would actually turn the guitar right down, which is great in a small jazz club, but no use at all in the local boozer.)

The magnetic pickup sound aside, piezo is pretty much the only solution that has worked out so far in my professional life. People try other things, sure, but in general they end up a) with a wall of feedback or b) too quiet for a bar gig, or both. Often the stage is small and cramped, too, meaning you are right up against the amp.

Sometimes it can be made to work if you have a good sound man who understands and listens to jazz. That's a mighty big if. And in this case, they can mic it themselves.

I'm also fed up of stupid trailing wires and things that get in the way. I want something that plugs in, works and is consistent even if it's not the best sound in the world. I play a fair number of gigs - i.e. it's my main income - so I appreciate a streamlined set up. Also, others might have more patience for dicking around with mics.
    Last edited by christianm77; 08-26-2016 at 08:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Christian,

According to what you just posted, one of these might be just perfect for you

User Info Menu

These masterbilt archtops look to me as being perfect for attaching a DeArmond 1100 at the neck (monkey stick) and connecting the wire underneath the pickguard to the Shatten kind-a-like pots in the soundhole instead of the piezo and voila. Or, leave everything in working order and attach a Schatten under the pickguard and make an extra output jack in de lower side next to the existing.
    I think either of those might work out fine. These masterbilts have the looks of early days, are brandnew and affordable.
    It will take a while before I can take a look at one of those in real life. Stores with archtop guitars are not so common in the Netherlands.

User Info Menu

Christian,

According to what you just posted, one of these might be just perfect for you
    I'm expecting them to be pants, but you never know.