Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 151 to 198 of 198
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Well then...lets hope it's the former possibility and not just the latter.
    Hope...pray...make sacrifices to the eldritch abominations from beyond time...oh yes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeBob View Post

I've been hoping to try out one of the Epi Masterbilt Century guitars, but I've never seen one in the flesh. I did run across the new Epi Century thinline over the weekend, though. I wasn't impressed. I never bothered to plug it in. Considering that it's priced at $599 and GC just sold a boatload of D'A Excel series EXL-1 at the same price, the decision to buy the EXL-1 was a no-brainer. The Epi Century isn't even in the same league as the D'A. I know that this comparison is inherently unfair, given the huge difference in MSRP between those two guitars, but my comparison is based on the fact that last week you could buy either guitar for the same price during the GC sale. I'm still waiting for the chance to play one of the Epi Masterbilt guitars. I'm thinking that with an add-on pup they might be interesting.
    The local L&M has had 2 of these in. I was excited when I saw the first one because I've always liked the look of the Gibson ES-125T, but, living where I do, I've never seen one in the flesh and I'm not about to buy a guitar that I've never played. This is about as close as I'm going to get. That first one was a dog. Useful if you were out in a canoe and lost the paddle.

I was up there again today and they had another one in. I was waiting for something so, to kill time, I picked it up. Completely different experience. This one was well made, great playing, warm and full sounding and loud. So loud that I could easily use it for practice unplugged. Never plugged it in, though, so I have no idea what the P90 sounds like. Now I'm thinking......
    Last edited by darkwaters; 11-28-2017 at 09:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters View Post
    The local L&M has had 2 of these in. I was excited when I saw the first one because I've always liked the look of the Gibson ES-125T, but, living where I do, I've never seen one in the flesh and I'm not about to buy a guitar that I've never played. This is about as close as I'm going to get. That first one was a dog. Useful if you were out in a canoe and lost the paddle.

I was up there again today and they had another one in. I was waiting for something so, to kill time, I picked it up. Completely different experience. This one was well made, great playing, warm and full sounding and loud. So loud that I could easily use it for practice unplugged. Never plugged it in, though, so I have no idea what the P90 sounds like. Now I'm thinking......
    The P90 is a very rugged design and even the asian budget ones don't sound too far off a good original one, so if I were you I would know what to do......

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    The P90 is a very rugged design and even the asian budget ones don't sound too far off a good original one, so if I were you I would know what to do......
    My keys. My keys. Where are my %#% keys !

User Info Menu

Yeah, i tried one of those recently too and thought it was really cool. Big fat neck, too, nice.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I kinda want one now. darn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I kinda want one now. darn.
    They'd be a great kick-around play on the couch guitar, but also something you could actually play out, too. If I didn't have a Godin Kingpin I'd want one of these.

I like helping people decide to spend money
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

User Info Menu

We're all enablers here !

This (long, overly talky) video gives, I think, a great display of all the sounds available. At 8:50 you get to hear it's jazz side. Very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    They'd be a great kick-around play on the couch guitar, but also something you could actually play out, too. If I didn't have a Godin Kingpin I'd want one of these.

I like helping people decide to spend money
    I think of one of those with a little 5W valve amp I could gun would be great for Charlie Christian-esque stuff.

User Info Menu

They look cool too. Would go great a nice dark suit.

User Info Menu

Haha - BTW has anyone done that? Chosen a guitar cos it goes with your tie or something.

You could open up a closet and have 20 different Teles with different colours and patterns to go with whatever suit and tie you were wearing that day.

Haha - BTW has anyone done that? Chosen a guitar cos it goes with your tie or something.

You could open up a closet and have 20 different Teles with different colours and patterns to go with whatever suit and tie you were wearing that day.
    Years ago, I bought a flat-top Martin to celebrate my divorce, with the last cash I had left from being liquidated.

I'll remember your suggestion, just in case I can ever buy another fiddle again.

User Info Menu

"I pitty the fool who can't discern a real from a fake thing" Bob Brenchamon

User Info Menu

I don't have a guitar with a P90, TBF

User Info Menu

I wonder what style hat would go with a P90..... Fedora ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Hope...pray...make sacrifices to the eldritch abominations from beyond time...oh yes.
    What? Keith Richards?

User Info Menu

I wonder what style hat would go with a P90..... Fedora ?
    New Epi Century Stuff-download-jpg

User Info Menu

New Epi Century Stuff-hat-jpg

What? Keith Richards?
    Hadn't thought of him but yes, absolutely!

Here's my shirt/hat/guitar combo BTW, though the guitar is gone and needs replacing:

New Epi Century Stuff-me-6-2013-jpg

User Info Menu

Hadn't thought of him but yes, absolutely!

Here's my shirt/hat/guitar combo BTW, though the guitar is gone and needs replacing:

New Epi Century Stuff-me-6-2013-jpg
    That's pretty killer. Do you all have matching outfits in the band?

User Info Menu

Fun, cowjazz!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

I was looking for my friend Ben Somers who has a video of his country band with matching outfits like that but couldn't find that.

As a consolation here he is playing some country stuff with Guthrie Govan guesting on guitar.

If "Cowjazz" isn't one of the best names for a band I've heard lately, I dunno what. Isn't there a band called Cow Bop though? Damn!

That is some sweet picking, Christian. Fine band. I'm tempted to go on a rant about what people think of as country nowadays, but meh, it's been done. Your friend's band, that's country. Great boogie on the Tele there. Not in a band at present, and on a serious search for the right guitar. That Loar I'm holding was not it, unfortunately. I'd love to get a band like that going, though, and the shirt is a standard Rockmount BTW that can be had from several online retailers, so matching is do-able.

This is veering OT maybe, but when I discovered Western swing, it was like the lights went on. Guys from the southwest playing swing jazz with steel guitar and fiddles. Big Charlie Christian influence in both tune choice and guitar stylings. I'd always heard country, and jazz, but it made me feel like I'd found the thing I'd been looking for all my music-obsessed life. BTW since I was born in Calgary I am entitled by law to wear a white cowboy hat at even the toniest functions.

Maybe that's why I fell in love at first sight with the Epi Century Deluxe when I discovered it. It looks the part; and I'll cry big sloppy tears of gratitude if they actually do it all right at some point.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike, it’s not me on guitar btw. Just in case you think it is!

Nope, I got that it's your friend.

Just learned there's a band called Cowjazz AND a band called Cow Bop. As I once said when I heard about System Of A Down - all the good names have obviously been taken.

User Info Menu

Nope, I got that it's your friend.

Just learned there's a band called Cowjazz AND a band called Cow Bop. As I once said when I heard about System Of A Down - all the good names have obviously been taken.
    Not to mention the Hot Club of Cowtown.

But wait, we have a serious situation here, Christian just told us he doesn't have a guitar with a P-90. That's like a painter who doesn't have RED!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Never heard of Cowjazz, but Cow Bop has a first-rate guitarist. As does Hot Club of Cowtown. Western swing is mostly carried these days by the Time Jumpers and Asleep At The Wheel. Ray Benson even has his own Eastman model. I don't know of anyone using the Epi Century stuff, but it would certainly work. Almost anything works. Eldon Shamblin famously used a Strat.

Mr. Christian, how do you answer to the charge of mutiny? (he said, carefully concealing the fact that he's never had a guitar with a P90 himself)

In my defense I'm going after a Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin, and even if Epi supplies us with this miracle of "properly recreated vintage archtops" and I buy one, on the evidence I doubt I'll ever want to lose the Godin.

User Info Menu

Mr. Christian, how do you answer to the charge of mutiny? (he said, carefully concealing the fact that he's never had a guitar with a P90 himself)

In my defense I'm going after a Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin, and even if Epi supplies us with this miracle of "properly recreated vintage archtops" and I buy one, on the evidence I doubt I'll ever want to lose the Godin.
    I can't say enough about the damn Godin...I love that 'lil guitar. I have "nicer" guitars...but not "better."
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Never heard of Cowjazz, but Cow Bop has a first-rate guitarist. As does Hot Club of Cowtown. Western swing is mostly carried these days by the Time Jumpers and Asleep At The Wheel. Ray Benson even has his own Eastman model. I don't know of anyone using the Epi Century stuff, but it would certainly work. Almost anything works. Eldon Shamblin famously used a Strat.
    Yup, huge AATW, Hot Club, and Time Jumpers fan here. Was just listening to "Willie and the Wheel" while I cleaned our bathrooms. And I think I probably would love the Epi; good looks go a long way in inspiring me to pick up and play every day, guilty as charged....we'll see. Godins can be hard to find in my neck of the woods believe it or not, but I can ask Long & MCQuade to bring in an Epi Deluxe to try and should probably do just that when I have some time to set aside to visit them. That said, Mr. Beaumont's opinion wrt the Godin is very convincing to me. I trust him and have listened to his videos several times.

As for Eldon Shamblin, he really broke the mold taking up the Strat, for sure. I have the excellent "S'Wonderful: 4 giants of swing" album, and the very obscure but brilliant "Eldon Shamblin: guitar genius" album, and I have to admit I tend to find the tone of the Strat a bit meh. But his playing is jaw-dropping. Always liked Ray Benson's Tele tone though and will have to figure out where the Eastman comes in. Seems it was introduced 2014, so maybe it's on "Still the King."

Here's a couple of earlier shots of Eldon, pre-Strat:

New Epi Century Stuff-photo-eldon-shamblin-photo-michael-ochs-jpg

New Epi Century Stuff-maxresdefault-jpg

User Info Menu

You can see the Eastman on YouTube videos. He's had it for a few years, and it's listed on the Eastman site, FWIW. Eldon used Gibsons until Leo Fender gave him a very early Strat, and he never looked back, AFAIK. It had a plastic case covering the body. It's the only one I've ever seen, but I admit I haven't been looking very hard.

User Info Menu

Eldon's Strat is one of THE iconic Fender guitars to me. Possibly because of my affection for Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys. Finished in metallic gold, the guitar had a white plastic protector added by Eldon that covered the back of the instrument, so it looks like a two-colour instrument in photos. I has a chance to play it last January, when some kid in a baseball cap brought it into Norm's Rare Guitars to show it off. Lovely instrument, well-played but still in decent condition. Lots of "greening' to the gold finish, similar to that on old Goldtop Les Pauls.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Epi Century Stuff-fender-strat-eldonshamblin-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-18-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

I shall hang from the highest yardarm in all of Southampton for this betrayal.

I would actually go for a 175 with a P90 if one came up... Does that assuage you?

Or I could buy a Century...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Eldon's Strat is one of THE iconic Fender guitars to me. Possibly because of my affection for Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys. Finished in metallic gold, the guitar had a white plastic protector added by Eldon that covered the back of the instrument, so it looks like a two-colour instrument in photos. I has a chance to play it last January, when its latest owner brought it into Norm's Rare Guitars to show it off. Lovely instrument, well-played but still in decent condition. Lots of "greening' to the gold finish, similar to that on old Goldtop Les Pauls.
    New Epi Century Stuff-envy-meter-jpg

Like Luther Perkins's Esquire. Mercy!

New Epi Century Stuff-luther-esquire-2-jpg

User Info Menu

I saw a recent article in a Guitarist magazine with an interview with top UK session player Adam Goldsmith. Apparently he's bought one if these new Epi's and loves it.

Think I found the relevant bit, from an Australian site called Pressreader:

New Epi Century Stuff-clipboard01-jpg

This guy has an amazing list of album, movie, and TV credits so is worth listening to. Definitely going to try one in Toronto at some point.

New Epi Century Stuff-clipboard02-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for hunting that down

User Info Menu

I tried the Deluxe version of this and I thought it was awful. I was of course comparing it to my 1949 Epiphone Blackstone. This guitar is NOT for Jazz. Its for guys in bands who look like they would smell to play to look cool rather than use a flattop acoustic...THUS the piezo pickup. The arch on these is pretty shallow. My Blackstone is like a cello! Save a few more dollars and get a REAL old Epiphone if you want one but these IMO are really not made for Jazz guys as far as I can tell. You are better off with a Godin 5th Avenue...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjames View Post
    I tried the Deluxe version of this and I thought it was awful. I was of course comparing it to my 1949 Epiphone Blackstone. This guitar is NOT for Jazz. Its for guys in bands who look like they would smell to play to look cool rather than use a flattop acoustic...THUS the piezo pickup. The arch on these is pretty shallow. My Blackstone is like a cello! Save a few more dollars and get a REAL old Epiphone if you want one but these IMO are really not made for Jazz guys as far as I can tell. You are better off with a Godin 5th Avenue...
    Well, no regrets at all about getting my Fifth Avenue Kingpin, believe me. And I've looked at a ton of photos of the Epi and no matter what angle, I can't see much arch. More of a gentle curve I guess you'd say, and that was another point raised by a different poster, that it's the mere suggestion of an arch rather than anything resembling a vintage archtop. On the real side, I think my next guitar will be one of Godin's Art & Lutherie flattops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjames View Post
    I tried one as well, and I don't think it's awful, but I think it's this kind of neither-fish-nor-fowl thing that doesn't quite work as either an acoustic or guitar or a jazz box. Based on my own interest in a guitar with enough tone and volume for unplugged practice (and not necessarily more volume than that) which also works as an electric guitar, I played pretty much everything out there (except Loars, which are not in any stores where I live) in the $cheap-$moderate range advertised in that niche, including all the Epi Masterbilt arcthops. I think the Epi Deluxe (not the smaller models, which sound like crap IMO) could be serviceable in some circumstances as an acoustic, but nearly useless plugged in. However, if they sold it with a floater instead of the piezo, I think it would be a pretty cool guitar. It was on my shortlist with the idea of adding a floater, but between the cost/complexity of that and my finding 17" guitars uncomfortable, I crossed it off. Wound up with a Godin Kinpin, which I agree is a better guitar out of the box for jazz guys.

John

User Info Menu

This (favourable) review just showed up here in the UK.

www.musicradar.com/reviews/epiphone-masterbilt-century-zenith

User Info Menu

"We of the Gibson Corporation really enjoyed these new Epiphones that we will enjoy the revenue from"

Why of course, that sounds like an in-depth analysis.

Spoiler alert: online "user reviews" are seldom just honest real user reviews, they're bought, hth.

Seems like a lot of old threads are getting resurrected so apparently no shame in that, so I'm de-lurking to say - I got me a Century Deluxe, natural finish, with case, for $700, and am over the frigggin' moon! This is far and away the nicest guitar I've owned. Yep, I know, that puts me squarely in the category of "poor sad bastid with no money," but no shame in that either IMO.

Got it on eBay from a guy in a small town in Texas, and he certainly knew his stuff - he put a D'Addario 80/20 bronze light set on it, and intonation was dead nuts after shipping all that way. Included two more sets of strings, and although they didn't have their boxes, the interwebs tell me they're .11 - .53. Might well try a heavier set, but for now I'm happy with the volume. One of the tuners had broken at some point, and wonder of wonders he was given a whole new set by the dealer, so the other 5 were included as well. You can't find these anywhere I know of, so one hell of a bonus.

So to the nitty-gritty: basically everyone here was right about the guitar, by their own lights. NO, it is not a vintage archtop, nor should anyone have expected it to be at that price point. YES, it is a beautifully made guitar with outstanding fit and finish. NO, it was not meant to have a pickup put on it, nor does it sound any better through the piezo - I know because I am also in the camp that grabbed the Electar Century "reissue" (let's call a spade a spade: it's a cosmetic tribute with a modern circuit), and the tone stank, even leaving aside the amp itself, which picked up a local FM station loud and clear. Not worth my time and money to have it overhauled so back it went, and this guitar shouldn't be plugged in anyway.

But above all, and everyone here who said it nailed it: YES, with the right strings it is a very nice acoustic rhythm machine! It will never stand beside a vintage carved archtop, and probably - never had the chance to try and not going to spend the dosh - not a Loar or Eastman, but it is a sweet guitar for a guy like me who needs to accompany voice, and here's the real kicker: it has a GREAT neck. Can't think why this hasn't been mentioned, but I've found that everyone's mileage differs in this department, maybe the most subjective thing in the guitar world after tone. I have big-ass hands, and it's funny because looking at photos over the years I thought, "damn, that guitar is a 17" lower bout, and that fretboard looks really wide!" But it ain't, not a bit, and the satin finish makes it feel great and is super fast.

So: good acoustic strings, no pickup, no piezo, and you have a great guitar at a stupidly low price. This thing goes for $1400 Canadian new, and the case, if you can find one, is $150 USD, so I found what ended up being the deal of my lifetime. If I play out, and I hope to, I'll mic it, no question. If I want to get really snotty I might have a tech remove the thumbwheels and battery box and put a Stewmac archtop bridge on instead of the uncompensated one with the piezo and get a new setup, but it's fine for now. Just really happy I cast aside my reservations, because I've wanted one since I found out (here) and couldn't be happier. Let the lavender suit and black nail polish crowd do what they will with it, it's just right for my Western swing thing.

EDIT - a few pics:

New Epi Century Stuff-img_0687-jpg

New Epi Century Stuff-img_0688-jpg

New Epi Century Stuff-img_0672-jpg

New Epi Century Stuff-img_0671-jpg
    "All the music I hear today is just rude, loud noises, whether it's country, rock 'n' roll, middle-of-the-road or whatever. It all sounds the same. Just this extremely loud, horrible sound. It's completely useless to me."
    - Leon Redbone

User Info Menu

Thanks for the write up Mike! Good to have someone describe this model from a somewhat different perspective.

I’d still be tempted to hack a CC-pickup into it. Or maybe better, find a McArty pickguard pickup and turn it into a Grant Green machine.....

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

I have an old Epi Century made in New York in ~1953. Not my birth year, but the year I started school. The Century was a student-grade model, single plastic binding on the body only, with the bullet screw-on plate on the headstock. Mine has been through the mill, refinished, with pickup, pickguard, bridge, tuners and possibly the tailpiece replaced. But it's a nice player, with sentimental value since it was a gift from my sister, bought I suppose from a pawnshop in Lubbock, TX. Even as a bottom of the line plywood box, and I do mean plywood, it has good volume and not a bad tone. I haven't even looked at the new models, because i don't need one. But laminate archtops can sound decent acoustically.

@Little Jay - Sure, I think it'd make a great platform for modding, kinda hard to lose at that price point.

@sgosnell - my own experience with laminate (Godin 5th Avenue) showed me that yeah, laminates can be pretty good acoustically. Worth noting again though that the new Epiphones are solid tops, even if the arch isn't very prominent.
    "All the music I hear today is just rude, loud noises, whether it's country, rock 'n' roll, middle-of-the-road or whatever. It all sounds the same. Just this extremely loud, horrible sound. It's completely useless to me."
    - Leon Redbone

User Info Menu

I wouldn't discount the potential for this guitar if you like the neck and feel.

First of all a good preamp and acoustic amp can do wonders for a piezo pickup.

Second, you can add a floater like the RC1000/1100 RI for instance and use it instead of the piezo or mix it in.

I think the Deluxe Classic looks pretty cool, and at $650 it's not a stretch to afford.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I wouldn't discount the potential for this guitar if you like the neck and feel.

First of all a good preamp and acoustic amp can do wonders for a piezo pickup.

Second, you can add a floater like the RC1000/1100 RI for instance and use it instead of the piezo or mix it in.

I think the Deluxe Classic looks pretty cool, and at $650 it's not a stretch to afford.
    Thanks Doc Jeff, it IS pretty cool, I assure you. Thing with me is, I really want it purely for acoustic rhythm. I know it won't cut through a group and get to the back of the room, not even a small group, but who plays 100% acoustically in any venue now anyway except maybe an art gallery opening (saw that happen once, just an old Epi Triumph and clarinet)? It'll get mic'd and I have faith that all will be well. To those who want to grab one and add a floater, or use the piezo with decent (as opposed to the Electar) amplification, I say more power to you, no pun intended.
    - Leon Redbone