User Info Menu

Gibson ES-350 - Why Is It Special?-image-jpg

User Info Menu

What an incredible guitar !

Quote Originally Posted by Burrellesque

User Info Menu

I have a 1952 Gibson ES-350N. It's the 2 volume 1 master tone configuration, but could have left the factory early in 1953 (FON is 1952).

It is one of only a few I have seen where the neck pickup is positioned closer to the fingerboard as in the 2 volume 2 tone knob variant (1953 onwards).

To answer floatingpickup, when either pickup is turned right down it doesn't seem to be in the circuit at all.

To me it's the perfect Gibson arch top. The P90s are incredible! The combination of 17" laminate and 25.5" scale is ideal. Hard to believe that Gibson have made so few guitars with this combination.
    Thanks for the info. That is a beautiful guitar!
    Keith

User Info Menu

The Bop Grail as far as I am concerned even if my archtop envy has been put to rest since last summer.
    Pretty much the only thing I would still crave for just after the neck CC equipped one.
    Not sure I will ever justify to afford one to play in my living room though

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Nice to be somewhere where these fine guitars are appreciated.

Fred Archtop- love your YouTube channel! A great reference source and some tasty playing.

Interesting that the Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe (ES-5 copy) was mentioned earlier. I own a couple of them, one of which I gigged for many years. I really enjoyed that guitar, but it's quite a different instrument to the ES-350 in terms of resonance and tone. The Gibson is so much more alive and articulate.

I think I zeroed I on the L5 size laminate thing about 15 years ago. I remember I was interested in the Guild X500 for a while after playing one in a store in San Francisco. Then I think interest shifted to the Gibson ES-5.
    Playing the Epiphone ZBD I realised the middle PU is really just in the way a lot of the time for me, and I wondered if there was a similar guitar in a single or 2 PU configuration. Which lead to the ES- 350.

User Info Menu

I tried to get Gibson to build me one. The Crimson shop said sure...... $9K

User Info Menu

Hi gang. New to this thread. A Gibsun ES-350 is available for $565. Almost brand new and looks great, but what exactly is a Gibsun ES-350 copy? I have no more information than this. The o on the headstock even looks like a “u” more than an “o.” I realize Gibsun means it’s a copy, but who, when, where, and just what is this guitar in build and quality? Thanks for your input!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabeezlebub
    Hi gang. New to this thread. A Gibsun ES-350 is available for $565. Almost brand new and looks great, but what exactly is a Gibsun ES-350 copy? I have no more information than this. The o on the headstock even looks like a “u” more than an “o.” I realize Gibsun means it’s a copy, but who, when, where, and just what is this guitar in build and quality? Thanks for your input!!!
    1) 2) The object you describe is likely a poorly-made fake. Good , well-made instruments are available from reputable manufacturers who deserve your trust and hard-earned cash. Go with the quality.

User Info Menu

Thanks k!! That was my first impression. Who makes a copy of the ES 350 and where would it come from...China, Taiwan, Sears, a Cracker Jack box??!?!!!

User Info Menu

While not likely in the same league as the aforementioned guitars, Walkin of Japan does make some interesting Archtop Tribute models at a lower price-point:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    AFAIR BK's 350 also had a fretboard replacement with ebony instead of the original rosewood. This makes a small difference in tone as regards original ES 300/350s, much less than the CC vs P90 pickup though.

These postwar ES 300/350 & 150 are wonderful instruments.

Cheers.

I was lucky enough to own a 1947 ES-350P for a while - a fantastic instrument, purchased by me for £995-00 round about 1981, I think, and subsequently parted with due to various spells of unemployment. Today's price? probably £6,000-00 and above - if you're ever lucky enough to find one.

Barney's fretboard replacement also had the neck/nut tapered down from the original dimensions, I think - from a 44mm nut to a 43mm one. I remember Herb Ellis years ago saying in an article that one time he compared side-by-side a 50's L-50 (carved) to a 50's L-48 (laminated) guitar - he thought the L-48 came out way better - to his ear, at least. And of course we all hear differently...….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Probably worth mentioning as well: The ES-150/300/350s were all thin laminates. This has been discussed before on the board in threads about early ES-175s. Sometime in the mid-60s Gibson went to a heavier laminate (some say to avoid warranty claims for cracks, others speculate for better feedback control, or perhaps the thin stuff just because harder to source).
    what about the ES125's .... thin laminate too ?

User Info Menu

The recent posts showing the gorgeous Gibson ES-350 and ES-300 guitars got me thinking... Is the ES-5 the same guitar but with an additional pickup and wiring? Seems the ES-350 and ES-300 are similar except the cutaway and added pickup. So the ES-5 is a fancier ES-350?

Thoughts?

Gibson ES-350 - Why Is It Special?-00101_4nzdgsjq860_1200x900-jpg

source of photo: 1952 Gibson ES 5 Guitar - musical instruments - by owner - sale

User Info Menu

They're the same save for the extra pickup and bling (L5 style neck)

User Info Menu

Might as well add Tal Farlow and Heritage H550 as well in this basic design of 17" x3" long scale 25&1/2" laminate construction.
    All have their different touches or appointments as needed by the player.

User Info Menu

@ 11 seconds... "... the only difference between an ES5 and an ES350 is they shoved a middle pickup in there..." – J. Bonamassa

I guess that answers the question...

Dutchbopper Guest
    Been looking for a word to describe the sound of my 1952 Gibson Es 350 but I settled for "creamy." Here's some easy swing on the classic "Line for Lyons."

Hope you like.

Question. I need a new case for my 350. It does not have to be a Gibson case. Which case would be a perfect fit?

DB

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 10-07-2021 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Been a look for a word to describe the sound of my 1952 Gibson Es 350 but I settled for "creamy." Here's some easy swing on the classic "Line for Lyons."

Hope you like.

Question. I need a new case for my 350. It does not have to be a Gibson case. Which case would be a perfect fit?

DB

I just want to dive face-first into that tone. It's velvet. You really have hit on the perfect guitar for your own style and technique, delivering absolutely perfect tone.

User Info Menu

Dig it! What are you using for backing tracks? I’m on the hunt.

User Info Menu

A TKL for a 17" lower bout guitar is the ticket for a hard case

ps this would be a great tune for your trio. You can do the harmony w the trumpet player ala Chet and Mulligan

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    a tkl for a 17" lower bout guitar is the ticket for a hard case ps this would be a great tune for your trio. You can do the harmony w the trumpet player ala chet and mulligan
    tkl?

Db

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    tkl?

Db
    Canadian case manufacturer

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    A TKL for a 17" lower bout guitar is the ticket for a hard case

ps this would be a great tune for your trio. You can do the harmony w the trumpet player ala Chet and Mulligan
    As a matter of fact we played it a few days ago that way ... I was at a loss a bit because I did not know the tune well enough. So I studied it over the last days. Yes, I love the harmony a la Chet and Gerry. We definitely will do it that way! Thanks,

DB

User Info Menu

Always a pleasure to hear your clips, DB! Thanks for posting. Creamy tones indeed!