The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 113

User Info Menu

It would be really good to post pics with this kind of thread. Your description sounds very emotially driven. I'm not saying you are exaggerating but it would be really useful to see what Gibson sent you. Also, I would hope by exposing the flaws as well as the disappointment on a well read jazz guitar forum, maybe Gibson would think twice about shipping such shoddy work. Hopefully there won't be a next time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Should write an angry note to Phillip Whorton. As the Custom Shop Supervisor, it is in his and Gibson's best interest to catch such QC issues. I am just angry that Gibson let this one slip out of the Custom Shop door. If this had been shipped to an overseas client imagine the huge expense to return it. TMZ should have caught it really. Saved everyone the hassle, time and expense. Who gains? FedEx, of course. Who loses big time? Gibson Custom Shop. One stinker and your hard-earnt rep is toast.

Second, what is it with the TFs? Everything bad happens to it...

Third, if Gibson CS could reset the neck or rebuild it I wouldn't mind it at all as a Factory Second and priced accordingly...

Fourth, Jazznote's anecdote; TMZ should have packed it much better! Shocked.

User Info Menu

This is why I refuse to buy another guitar without playing it first (knock on wood). I recently bought two Ibanez archtops online (AF95RW and AF200) and sent them both back for various reasons. It cost me at least $80 shipping for each return. Luckily I live in the SF Bay Area and have access to many guitar stores, but I've been looking since last December and still haven't found one that I want and can afford.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    So Gibson sends TMZ pics of this gorgeous Tal Farlow and of course they send them to me with a price no one could refuse. Everyone knows I am a Guitaraholic so I buy it. It arrived yesterday.
    Needless to say it has one of the worst necks ever. The neck set was way off with a severe uplift from the 12th to 20th frets. The bridge is jacked up almost as high as it can go. The strings fret out past the 10th fret. The frets are pleked down to nothing. 3 dents in the back of the neck. The action is higher than a Sears and Roebuck flattop. This coming from the Crimson Custom shop. Now you know why I love/hate Gibson.

Thank God I bought it from TMZ. They are a stand up music store. In their defense they just checked the headstock when they received it because it took Gibson 3 weeks to ship it and I was getting mad so they overnighted it to me the day they got it. Another turd from Gibson. I will say it was stunning to look at and cowboy chords sounded OK. Thanks Gibson.
    Vinny my friend.
    very sorry to hear of your bad luck, my tale of woe is nothing like as bad but ....... I ordered a new ES275MB
    on 29th April ,told it was in stock and would be delivered in approx 5 days. Two weeks later , due to an
    "administration error' by Gibson E
    urope it was sold to a.n. other. I was not best pleased, to be fair their
    BDO guy managed to get the last one?? in stock at Memphis . and I received it two weeks later. It
    needed some adjustments, very boomy & bass side of pickups needed drastically lowering adjust poles etc.,
    not too bad, but the finish was nothing like the pics of Steve Longobardi's In fact it is just dark Sunburst
    Not a big deal , but it is not as described or as seen on videos . I can live with that , The amusing line I gpt
    from their BDO was " Thank you for choosing Gibson" I pointed out that I had purchased 13 new Gibsons
    in less than three years. Perhaps we, as a body of enthusiastic purchasers of their products , should write
    en masse to Gibson to say that we are dissatisfied with being fobbed off with Friday Night" Lemons" from
    their elite Custom Shop, perhaps Henry J is the best target?

Best, Alan

User Info Menu

As I said in another thread, I have more gits than I need, and less than I want.

Despite the issues I have and have had with Gibsons they are the ones I play the most and are least likely to be sold.

It's like 60's and 70's American made cars, blind devotion?
    Maybe, maybe not.

From Gretsch, D'Angelico, Epiphone, Fender, to Ibanez nothing else is a Gibson.

Sigh... it's like a destructive relationship with a gal I don't want to but at the same time do want to extricate myself from. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Why does anyone even bother with a new Gibson? Just buy one from the 90's for half the price and twice the guitar.
    Half the price maybe but twice the guitar, I doubt it. This is the first story I hear or read that a Crimson Gibson archtop is a total turd. Ususally I hear the opposite. It will need a few more of those stories for me to doubt the consistent high quality of the Crimson Custom Shop guitars.

From a European point of view it's interesting that this happened in the US. Kind of refutes the rumour that Gibson ships their turds to Europe and keeps their finest guitars for the domestic market.

User Info Menu

Gary and SS you are soo right.
    Once the issues are sorted out, there is nothing quite like a Gibson. I really do believe that.

From what Vinny is explaining, this guitars coloration and wood figure suggests its a bit of a one off. Then, Why in gods name would Gibson release this guitar from the factory in such a condition? It almost sounds like this particular guitar was made specifically for someone, who in turn rejected it.

Vin, I hope if you get an explanation, you are able to share it with us.

JD

User Info Menu

Sympathies to Vinny, really bad luck.
    I have to admit, that, in line with what Drifter says above, my first reaction was, oh, oh, he got a Gibson intended for this side of the pond.

User Info Menu

Henry J: "Whaaa? You mean the folks who buy'em actually play'em, and past the fifth fret?"

Gibson QC strikes again-924456_1551315338454621_1730037418_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Henry J: "Whaaa? You mean the folks who buy'em actually play'em, and past the fifth fret?"

Gibson QC strikes again-924456_1551315338454621_1730037418_n-jpg

LOL

Those of us hanging out on a jazz forum know better than most that there's no money past the fifth fret

User Info Menu

I much prefer the original Tal Farlow though...

Gibson QC strikes again-0-jpg

User Info Menu

OP reads like the guitar is in need of a truss rod adjustment.

User Info Menu

Hello,
    Sorry to hear about your Tal debacle.

Less than 3 weeks ago, I received a brand new Crimson Shop Tal Farlow—from a Gibson dealer—that, with the exception of some distortion or buzz above the 7th fret when played acoustically only, and which was found to be the result of the neck PUP vibrating against the pick guard—is perfect in every other way. It plays like a dream throughout the entire fingerboard and has a unique amplified tone that differs from my two Gibson L5's (double PUP CES and WesMo). Despite the acoustic issue, which can easily be resolved, it is a keeper. However, I suspect that the PUP/pick guard issue is the result of poor QC. Given the limited output from the Custom Shop, one would assume that they have plenty of time to check these guitars out in every way, which includes playing them up the fingerboard before releasing them to the unsuspecting public.

Hopefully, if you decide to wait the 6-8 months, the next Tal Farlow that you receive will be perfect. I bought mine as the result of an impulsive internet search that led me to a dealer that had a brand new one for sale, perhaps the only new Tal available at the time. I bought it, and have no regrets whatsoever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plectrum99x
    Hello,
    Sorry to hear about your Tal debacle.

Less than 3 weeks ago, I received a brand new Crimson Shop Tal Farlow—from a Gibson dealer—that, with the exception of some distortion or buzz above the 7th fret when played acoustically only, and which was found to be the result of the neck PUP vibrating against the pick guard—is perfect in every other way. It plays like a dream throughout the entire fingerboard and has a unique amplified tone that differs from my two Gibson L5's (double PUP CES and WesMo). Despite the acoustic issue, which can easily be resolved, it is a keeper. However, I suspect that the PUP/pick guard issue is the result of poor QC. Given the limited output from the Custom Shop, one would assume that they have plenty of time to check these guitars out in every way, which includes playing them up the fingerboard before releasing them to the unsuspecting public.

Hopefully, if you decide to wait the 6-8 months, the next Tal Farlow that you receive will be perfect. I bought mine as the result of an impulsive internet search that led me to a dealer that had a brand new one for sale, perhaps the only new Tal available at the time. I bought it, and have no regrets whatsoever.

Did you get the one at Rainbow in Tucson?

I would have grabbed that one if I had the money ... it was really nice

Then again it would have had to compete with my L5 and Le Grand for attention so it was probably for the best for me not to buy it

User Info Menu

Hi Bluedawg,

No, I found the Tal at Dave's Guitar Shop. It was the only brand new Tal that popped up during my internet search. And while there were a handful of used Tal's for sale, I prefer new with warranty, unless I can examine it first hand. As for competition, I play my 9 arch tops in rotation; they all get equal time.

I have many Gibson archtops from the Nashville custom shop and all were perfect. This was the first bad one. The trussrod worked perfectly. I had to take it to the edge of a back bow because of the tail rise. Gibson tail rises have been common for as long as I have been buying them. I bought my first Gibson in 1972.
    I used to argue with Patrick and told him I have purchased way over 100 Gibson's in my lifetime and close to half had some kind of a neck issue or a trussrod that didn't work. He basically called me a liar but it is the God's honest truth.
    Both of my local dealers Gryphon Stringed Instruments and Gelb Music both stopped selling Gibson's because of QC.
    Don't get me wrong. I have had countless great Gibson's and that is all I will play. I am a Gibson boy through and through. You do have to step on a few turds to get to the Yellow Brick Road though.
    My theory has always been that Gibson uses wood with too much moisture in it. That is what happened with my other Tal were the walnut strips shrunk on the neck and they had to sand and refinish the neck. Same thing happened to the TF that Joe D. has.
    It was stated in a earlier post that I am exaggerating. I am not. Once again fit and finish was perfect but the neck set was off and it had a tail rise. It had 3 dents on the back of the neck in the 5th and 6th fret area. It played fine up to the 9th fret.

Back to TMZ's defense. They added bubble wrap inside the Gibson packing box and of course UPS tore up the shipping box.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 06-02-2016 at 01:46 PM.

[QUOTE=vintagelove;657328]Why does anyone even bother with a new Gibson? Just buy one from the 90's for half the price and twice the guitar.[/QUOTE

I paid a used price for brand new. That is why I bought it. Price was too good.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=vinnyv1k;657492]
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Why does anyone even bother with a new Gibson? Just buy one from the 90's for half the price and twice the guitar.[/QUOTE

I paid a used price for brand new. That is why I bought it. Price was too good.

Yup

I could have had the new one at Rainbow for less than some of the used ones listed on the internet ... and the used ones were of recent vintage ... not from the 60s.

User Info Menu

I bought a new 2013 es 175 for $3,500 and it is the best guitar I ever played

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    As I said in another thread, I have more gits than I need, and less than I want.

Despite the issues I have and have had with Gibsons they are the ones I play the most and are least likely to be sold.

It's like 60's and 70's American made cars, blind devotion?
    Maybe, maybe not.

From Gretsch, D'Angelico, Epiphone, Fender, to Ibanez nothing else is a Gibson.

Sigh... it's like a destructive relationship with a gal I don't want to but at the same time do want to extricate myself from. :-)
    Agreed Gary,
    As a corollary, I can say that i've had more Gibsons than I care to admit , most have been
    good, but I have had my share of complete Lemons, and at the extortionate retail prices we
    in the UK and Europe have to pay, this should not happen, The blame surely falls squarely on
    their QC, but in Vinny's case the guitar should not have left the Custom Shop in the condition
    described at all ,I suggest.
    On the other tack, I have also had a a fair number of Ibanez Guitars , GB10s GB100 JP20 etc.,
    in a period of over 30 years and hand on heart , none had any issues at all, straight from the
    box. Their QC is impeccable . .
    If the Gibson Company is going to stick it to loyal customers like this it may have serious
    consequences.
    just my 2p's worth.

I too have never had a bad made in Japan guitar. Can it really be that hard to make a straight neck ? Japan seems to have no problem doing it. Never bought a Guild with a bad neck either. Of course I have only had a few of those.
    I mean really all you have to do is look down the neck to see if is straight. No tools needed. Just a eyeball. If you wan't to be more technical then a straightedge.
    Funny the guy that signed my great L5's signed this one.

User Info Menu

I have many Gibson archtops from the Nashville custom shop and all were perfect. This was the first bad one. The trussrod worked perfectly. I had to take it to the edge of a back bow because of the tail rise. Gibson tail rises have been common for as long as I have been buying them. I bought my first Gibson in 1972.
    I used to argue with Patrick and told him I have purchased way over 100 Gibson's in my lifetime and close to half had some kind of a neck issue or a trussrod that didn't work. He basically called me a liar but it is the God's honest truth.
    Both of my local dealers Gryphon Stringed Instruments and Gelb Music both stopped selling Gibson's because of QC.
    Don't get me wrong. I have had countless great Gibson's and that is all I will play. I am a Gibson boy through and through. You do have to step on a few turds to get to the Yellow Brick Road though.
    My theory has always been that Gibson uses wood with too much moisture in it. That is what happened with my other Tal were the walnut strips shrunk on the neck and they had to sand and refinish the neck. Same thing happened to the TF that Joe D. has.
    It was stated in a earlier post that I am exaggerating. I am not. Once again fit and finish was perfect but the neck set was off and it had a tail rise. It had 3 dents on the back of the neck in the 5th and 6th fret area. It played fine up to the 9th fret.

Back to TMZ's defense. They added bubble wrap inside the Gibson packing box and of course UPS tore up the shipping box.
    But Vinny, isn't this like the 3rd TF in the past year where you've had an issue arise, including Ms. Booboo, of course

Good thing you're not superstitious...I don't believe in jinxes either

User Info Menu

I too have never had a bad made in Japan guitar. Can it really be that hard to make a straight neck ?
    Same goes for a Peerless out of Korea for me too...just sayin!

User Info Menu

My Tal has the clear coat on the head raising off the head.

I knew it when I bought it, funny on another brand I wouldn't have bought it. I am so glad I did buy it.

Here's the funny part. I wrote Gibson aski g if my clear coat was an anomaly, here's the reply, it made me feel a LOT better :-)

" Thanks for writing!! That’s a beauty!! There are no oddities that I can see. Everything you mentioned is normal for this model."

Go figure!

User Info Menu

They really don't give a damn. Do they?