23 19.83%
  • Save your money and buy a 1980's Fender Rivera era Princeton II

11 9.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 122

User Info Menu

I have firsthand experience playing a humbucker equipped archtop through a Celestion Blue, and it breaks up too early for me. Just sayin'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

my purple (last of the uk made) vox ac30 tbx..with celestion blues

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue or Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue????-purple3-jpg

sounds good with red guitars

haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbucklin
    I have firsthand experience playing a humbucker equipped archtop through a Celestion Blue, and it breaks up too early for me. Just sayin'.

yeah 15 watt power rated speaker in a 15 watt amp doesn't leave much room to play around with..plus it's super efficient..so it gets loud quick...so 3 on your amp is loud, great and clean..but turning higher just adds hair and crunch....(which can be great!...just not typical jazz tone)

classic vox ac30 has 2 alnico blues but wired in series to 16 ohms...so power is more negotiable

cheers

User Info Menu

ok..so get the blue pr ..(you prefer blue tolex anyway)..if it breaks up too early (for you), you can always sell the celestion blue and replace with the celestion gold.. celestion blue speakers are always sought..easy to sell or trade..no lose situation..you could also stick a 12ay7 in first tube spot, to give you more vol control room..

go for it

cheers

User Info Menu

Well, my final plea (since it IS a life-or-death situation! ;^)---You could save some $ by getting a stock '65---there's a demo model at GC here in Dallas for much less than a new one---get a Celestion Alnico Gold 10 for $175, and about $50 for a preamp tube replacement and I guarantee you will never look back. There is just nothing like the Alnico Gold for a jazz guitar player. But, those LEs are very sexy and seductive! Okay, I'm done with the arm-twisting.

User Info Menu

Well, my final plea (since it IS a life-or-death situation! ;^)---You could save some $ by getting a stock '65---there's a demo model at GC here in Dallas for much less than a new one---get a Celestion Alnico Gold 10 for $175, and about $50 for a preamp tube replacement and I guarantee you will never look back. There is just nothing like the Alnico Gold for a jazz guitar player. But, those LEs are very sexy and seductive! Okay, I'm done with the arm-twisting.

yeah man, but the tolex ain't blue!!...aesthetics are 9/10ths of the law!

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue or Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue????-blue-room-picasso-1901-jpg

haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Yes! And this will be Wildkat's fate if he is seduced by the blue siren:

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue or Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue????-the_old_guitarist_by_pablo_picasso_osa2981361786189884-jpg

User Info Menu

haha...hai karate..that's a blast

yeah ok then

hes got celestion blue shorts on

cheers

User Info Menu

I'm a little bit lost here. Does anyone actually think that putting a single 15W Celestion Blue into a 22W amp is a good idea?

If history has shown us anything it's that a Vox AC30 could be relied upon to blow up two 15W blues if the user isn't careful.

Maybe you could get away with this sort of power mismatch in a Jazz-only application where you kept things clean, but a power mismatch like that is just asking for trouble.

User Info Menu

Yes! And this will be Wildkat's fate if he is seduced by the blue siren:

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue or Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue????-the_old_guitarist_by_pablo_picasso_osa2981361786189884-jpg

more practice time!!

hahaha

cheers

User Info Menu

Yeah, the babes won't know the difference between Blue and Gold---only scruffy old geezers like me and Neatomic!

Really showing my age here: I remember those commercials when I was just a wee lad.

User Info Menu

Be careful how you use it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    haha...hai karate..that's a blast

yeah ok then

hes got celestion blue shorts on

cheers

User Info Menu

Yeah, the babes won't know the difference between Blue and Gold---only scruffy old geezers like me and Neatomic!

Really showing my age here: I remember those commercials when I was just a wee lad.
    hey!! my grandpa told me about them

cheers

User Info Menu

more practice time!!

hahaha

cheers
    You are definitely a glass-is-half-full kind of guy! I like that. :^)

User Info Menu

I didn't answer the poll because I think the poll needs another option -- buying something from third party boutique amp builder. In most cases those guys build accurate replicas of the old Fender amps at a price that doesn't involve a vintage premium.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeBob
    I'm a little bit lost here. Does anyone actually think that putting a single 15W Celestion Blue into a 22W amp is a good idea?

If history has shown us anything it's that a Vox AC30 could be relied upon to blow up two 15W blues if the user isn't careful.

Maybe you could get away with this sort of power mismatch in a Jazz-only application where you kept things clean, but a power mismatch like that is just asking for trouble.

the deluxe puts out near 22 watts..the princeton is rated 15 watts..and yes, why i recommend celestion alnico gold...blue is pushing it...tho it will succeed..but with hair

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeBob
    I didn't answer the poll because I think the poll needs another option -- buying something from third party boutique amp builder. In most cases those guys build accurate replicas of the old Fender amps at a price that doesn't involve a vintage premium.

said similar in post #26

wildcat you stirred up some fun!

haha

luck

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-28-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Gentlemen,

A wee bit of joking around as sometime I think we forget the fun stuff and just perhaps too serious. In days of old there were great and serious debates about how many angels could fit on a pinhead. Yesterday I lost to another fellow at the pub who guessed correctly. I had to buy him pints all day long!!

User Info Menu

hey!! my grandpa told me about them

cheers
    Oh...sorry

User Info Menu

Oh...sorry
    it's cool...

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue or Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue????-c0e78e803f11a96707bcd5704a57e973-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

The odd thing I started drinking before him!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Gentlemen,

A wee bit of joking around as sometime I think we forget the fun stuff and just perhaps too serious. In days of old there were great and serious debates about how many angels could fit on a pinhead. Yesterday I lost to another fellow at the pub who guessed correctly. I had to buy him pints all day long!!

User Info Menu

it's cool...

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue or Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue????-c0e78e803f11a96707bcd5704a57e973-jpg

cheers
    Hey! How did you get my FB profile pic?!!!

User Info Menu

the deluxe puts out near 22 watts..the princeton is rated 15 watts..and yes, why i recommend celestion alnico gold...blue is pushing it...tho it will succeed..but with hair

cheers
    My Bad. I was thinking Deluxe instead of Princeton.

It still pays to be careful though -- 15W per speaker has been destroying Celestion Blues for decades. Personally, I think that if you want to keep them sounding clean for jazz, then you're going to need more than one Blue if you want much volume out of the amp. Those speakers distort rather quickly. It's part of their charm.

Before the Gold became available the Blues weren't quite as ridiculously expensive as they are today. Back then I built an open backed 4x12 to try to keep the clean Blue tone at higher volumes. I still had trouble with hair. Today that might be easier with Golds, but at today's prices I'm not willing to throw that much money at repeating the experiment. When the prices on Blues went crazy I decided to get rid of the 4x12 and I kept a pair to use in an open 2x12 just for low volume applications at home.

If I had to buy at today's prices I would not do it all over again.

User Info Menu

bebob..you might find this interesting..the new celestion creamback alnico..the blue-gold-alnico thing taken further

subsequently lance k now has two 4 x12 cabs stuffed with celestion creambacks..about 2K$$$ worth!! haha

& agreed, i wouldn't push a single blue celestion too far..too precious a commodity and also has its definitive window of sound..which i wouldn't want to upset..

why i'm big celestion gold advocate..supplies same tight low end and (near) chime of blue, but without breakup (with lower to mid power amps)..ie jazz!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-28-2016 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I really can only offer the alternate view to most here.
    I did the opposite to most and tried a 65 for a week and then picked up the 68 re issue and was very excited as soon as I plugged it in.

The 65 went back to the store and I also got rid of my 65DRRI. In fact I'm just going to say that I flat out HATED the 65DRRI. It made every guitar I own sound like upper mid range crap. I had it for about 4 years and changed speakers and also tried removing the cap to get rid of the upper mid spike.

But really.....what do you want to hear? I mean what tone do you like?

I was looking for an amp that would give me a 50's to 60's bebop sound. (Kenny Burrell, Pat Martino, Benson)
    But you may be looking for something different and dislike that sound.

I plugged in to the 68 Princeton reissue and my search was over.

For example if you like the following sound I can guarantee that you WON'T get it from a 65 Princeton Reverb.
    This clip also made me swap from Thomastik strings to D'addario Chromes....cos those Ibanez guitars come with those......and no you won't get Swings to sound like that. (heaven knows I tried for years)