The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I've been really wanting a Gibson ES 175 guitar. I love the tone and the style with the Florentine cutaway, especially with a sunburst finish. However, I think the Gibsons are way overpriced. I could afford one id I really wanted to, but I just can't justify it. Yesterday I called and ordered a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz from Lou at Guitars N' Jazz with a sunburst finish.

Now the Gigmaster is not an exact 175 replica, it has a 25.5" scale, a wooden tailpiece, and the pickguard is much different, but I still think it is a beautiful guitar, especially with the flame maple top. If the build quality is anything like the Peerless' I have played, it should be a great guitar. Lou was pretty up-front that the tone is not exactly that of a 175- it has more sustain and a more acoustic sound, but I think that will be a good thing. I have a Gibson '57 classic pup that I can drop into the neck position, if the tone is somewhat lacking.

I will report back with pictures and a full review when it arrives.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice. I really wanted one of those; they look really nice. Looking forward to reading your review. I hope they play and sound as nice as they look.

~enjoy

User Info Menu

Good for you! They're beautiful. Filtertron pups?
    Last edited by zigzag; 01-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raylinds

Now the Gigmaster is not an exact 175 replica, it has a 25.5" scale, a wooden tailpiece, and the pickguard is much different, but I still think it is a beautiful guitar, especially with the flame maple top.
    Where did you find that the scale is 25.5".
    If you look here
    Intro - Peerless Guitars Europe
    it says 24.72"

The guitar looks very nice.
    I actually own a Gibson 175 and am very happy with that but would be curious to try this one.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    Good for you! They're beautiful. Filtertron pups?
    Yes, filtertron pups, which is why I am considering swapping out to the Gibson '57 PAF Classics, but will wait to play it before deciding.

User Info Menu

It's possible that they make it in two different scale lengths. One of their other models for sure comes in two different scale lengths.

User Info Menu

I'm not at work so I can't check but I'm pretty sure it's not 25.5"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raylinds
    Yes, filtertron pups, which is why I am considering swapping out to the Gibson '57 PAF Classics, but will wait to play it before deciding.
    Where do you come up with "Filtertron" pickups ? Filtertrons are Gretsch's humbucker. The pickup on the Gigmaster Jazz is a regular humbucker - Alnico V clone of the 57 Classic. I would try it first as-is; you might find that it's alright. No doubt though that a genuine Gibson '57 Classic is usually a worthwhile upgrade.

User Info Menu

This is a link to a Gig Master Custom; It's also listed as having a 25.5 inch scale length.
    Peerless Gigmaster Custom left-handed electric guitar for sale

After doing a search I've found three different scale lengths listed for Gig Masters...
    Last edited by RuffRider; 01-15-2012 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRider
    This is a link to a Gig Master Custom; It's also listed as having a 25.5 inch scale length.
    Peerless Gigmaster Custom left-handed electric guitar for sale

After doing a search I've found three different scale lengths listed for Gig Masters...
    I've run across this sort of inconsistency before. I own a late-90's EPI Zephyr Regent : a one-pickup 'ES-175' made by Peerless (or if you prefer, a ES-165). For the entire time Epi offered that product, the website stated 25.5" scale and Maple neck. Mine clearly has a 24.75" scale and a mahogany neck. I conversed with other owners of this guitar and theirs were the same as mine. Several of us wrote to Epi (Gibson) about the incorrect info on the website and it was like trying to converse with someone in a foreign language - they didn't get it. They just stood their ground and kept saying, "Yes but the website specs say 'this'." I guess it's possible that what was on their website was the original spec and that's what they sent to their website people. Then before production began they changed the manufacturing spec but never sent the changes to the website folks. Who knows.

The Guitar arrived Friday, and I have been playing it ever since. The Guitars N' Jazz site has some misinformation. First, it says the scale length is 25.5", but it really is 24.72" as described on the Peerless website. Also they describe the pickups as "Gretsch Dual Filter Tron style Alnico-v Magnet". The Peerless site describe them as Epiphone '57 PAF Classics. I believe they are the Epiphone PAFs and sound very nice. However, I swapped out the neck pup for the genuine Gibson '57 PAF Classic, and there was a noticable improvement. I also put TI Swing flatwound 12s on it. With that out of the way, let's get on with the review.

Build Quality
    Simply superb. First, the fuguring in the Maple is simply stunning. I went over the guitar with a fine tooth comb, and it is flawless. On my way home from work I walk through music alley, which is 48th street here in NYC, where Sam Ash and Rudy's are located. I played a Gibson Custom Shop ES 175 ($4000 pricetag). It was very nice, but I can honestly say that the Peerless is at least it's equal in build quality, at least in feel and looks (I'm not sure of the bracing, etc. inside).

Sound
    Here is where I think the Peerless surpasses the real 175- it has more sustain and a better acoustic tone. This thing just sounds fantastic. Very warm, woody and articulate.

I am deeply in love with this guitar, and cannot imagine wanting anything more (it will be interesting to see how long that lasts ). I have never been more enthusiastic about playing and practicin.

I will post pictures later today, and some sound samples when I figure out how.

User Info Menu

Cool! I was thinking to buy an peerless gigmaster too

Hi raylinds, glad to hear you are chuffed with your Gigmaster. I have had a Gigmaster Standard for almost three years now and it is an absolutely brilliant guitar. I swapped out both pickups for Gibson 57 Classics as I found the Epi 57's were flabby and completely sucked any mojo out of my playing. I'm still amazed by how good it sounds unplugged too. I think my defining tone has been running it through a very beat up Fender Twin in a rehearsal room and the woody, warmth of the fully hollow body just sang out.

Here's a wee pic, the colour gets comments everywhere I go!

Peerless 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I know this guitar isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I couldn't resist it whilst on a visit to Mairant's in London today. Played it against an Ibanez AFJ95 and PM2 models. The PM2 played and sounded great, but I really have a problem with the colour !

Peerless Gigmaster Jazz-dsc_0013-jpgPeerless Gigmaster Jazz-dsc_0014-jpg

To protect the faint of heart, I have decided not to show the headstock

It is allegedly "used", but it still had the plastic film on the pickups and pickguard. There are a couple of factory blemishes in the finish that one has to look very hard to find, but otherwise pristine. Ignore the angle of the bridge, as I have yet to put new strings on and set it up. I feel the price of £650 is not unreasonable; it compares to £800 for NOS models elsewhere. Not sure what the current European list price is, given the hiatus in supply here.

The Epi 57 pickups may get swapped for the Gibson equivalents at some point in the future, but I believe I will resist the temptation to swap the tailpiece and pickguard to give it a fake Gibson look !

Mairant's is using the new Henriksen Bud as its showroom amp - it sounded unbelievable full for the size. The DV Little Jazz is not in the same league (or price range )
    Last edited by newsense; 05-24-2016 at 02:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice. Put a wood saddle on the bridge (well, I would) That is my only suggestion. I like the feel of wood beneath my palm when picking. Not for everyone, I suppose, but my preference.....

Doc

User Info Menu

Yikes ! Just tried stringing it with some TI Swing 12s and managed to shred the tape on the 5th string at the tuner. My last set - so unless I decide to play sans A string, I won't be commenting on the tone through my rig for at least 24 hours !

User Info Menu

That is a purty guitar!

I am a big Peerless fan--compare to guitars costing 3-4 times as much IMO, excellent build quality, and more (yet tasteful) bling than the average Gibson for instance.

I was skeptical of the Epi 57's myself until I spent some time with my Sunset--they are absolutely perfect pickups for the sound I am going for. I can't imagine anything better in that guitar.

In the Gigmaster, who knows? Full body might make a difference. Anyway, enjoy and report back your experience. I like the pickguard, am agnostic about the tailpiece (mine is a traditional trapeze).

User Info Menu

I played a GM Jazz at GuitarsnJazz and really liked it. However, I opted for a Monarch 16 and have not regretted my decision.

I agree with Dr. Jeff regarding the excellent value represented by Peerless instruments. Great value at very reasonable prices.
    Last edited by jazz.fred; 05-24-2016 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's some quick first impressions after a few hours playing:

1. This is acoustically the loudest, by far, of the laminate archtops I have had over the last few years, including a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin and an Eastman 403. I'm somewhat surprised by this, as I really expected it to be rather more dead.

2. Set up was good: intonation spot on once I had moved the bridge back a tad and the action is fine.

3. A buzz during louder playing has been traced to the contact between the pickguard and the bridge pickup surround. I should be able to pack the gap with a soft shim to damp the vibration.

4. Had difficulties installing TI Swing 12s for two reasons - (i) the hole for the 6th string in the steel plate on the tailpiece is too small to accommodate all the red binding at the ball end, and (ii) the 5th string broke at the tuner end due to the end of the tape winding coinciding with the entry to the tuner post. The first of these problems is easily solved by drilling out the hole in the tp a little. However, the latter might be a more persistent or recurrent problem. The tailpiece is a good inch shorter than the typical 175 tp, hence the string length to the tuners is longer than is normal. This seems to be rather too long for the TI Swings, with the red binding on the three upper wound strings fouling on the tuners. I therefore may consider changing the tp, not for aesthetic reasons, but for practicality. There are no fouling problems with the d'Addario Chromes I have now fitted, but in the past I have preferred the tone of the TI Swings.

5. Plugged in (neck pickup): where is the treble ? I have both the guitar tone and my amp treble on 10 and it is still not enough ! This was certainly not the case with the Eastman or Ibanez AFJ91 I had previously; with them it was more a case of guitar tone on 4, 5 or 6 and the amp adjusted to emphasise the mids; i.e. plenty of scope to both raise or lower the top-end depending on circumstances. Although at first I suspected that I was just not used to the Chromes, I really can't believe it is normal for these strings to have so little top end. Besides, acoustically there seems to be plenty of higher frequencies. So it must be the pickups (or a poor choice of/badly out of spec cap/pot). Don't get me wrong, it is not an unpleasant tone, - very smooth and somewhat Jim Hall like, but it would be nice to be able to lift the top end when required. Perhaps this was the reason it was in the store as "used", but with the plastic film still on the pickups and pickguard. Well, a pickup swap was always on the cards, so I might as well replace the pots and caps whilst I'm at it. The bridge position has more treble as would be expected, but I'm not in the habit of using that one. So I will be re-engaging in the perennial debate: Classic 57s, SD 59s, Seth Lovers,...... ?

6. I get the feeling that the 3rd string is slightly lower in volume than the others when plugged in. Again, maybe it is the wound 3rd of the Chromes, or possibly the pickup, or.... Experimentation will tell.

Although I have emphasised some problems above, there is a great deal to like (and maybe, in time, love) about this guitar. The neck is as good as any of my previous guitars and it really is a very attractive finish. So it is not going straight back to the shop and, as usual with my mid-price purchases, I will be ringing the changes with the options to see what works best..

User Info Menu

Great looking axe! I like you approach to the guitar's individual idiosyncrasies - flexibility is a valuable quality. I think the possibilities for this instrument are terrific. Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Nice Gigless Peermaster!

My initial experience with my Sunset was similar to yours, particularly regarding the overly dark sound (and the surprisingly loud acoustic voice). Have swapped the pups for SD 59s, but the tendency is still there.

I do get very good jazz tones, but at the expense of (i) having to dial in totally different amp settings compared to my other guitars, and (ii) having to apply the pick as close to the neck as possible, which I find slightly awkward ergonomically.

From my experience with the Sunset, I'd recommend going for considerably brighter pups than SD59s.

User Info Menu

Yes - I'm certainly gigless (playing for own amusement only), but not sure I can claim to be a peermaster !

Thanks for the tips about the SD59s and the Sunset.

I have a surplus Ibanez S58 that I may try first. It has the wrong cover (gold) but may be a useful guide to where the darkness is coming from.

User Info Menu

nice..try raising the neck pup up a bit closer to strings..so that the string just about clears it when your fretting the last fret...if it's still mud..get a new pup..plenty of great ones to choose from

i'd also change or recut the pickguard...it gives a rather generic cheapo look to an otherwise nice looking guitar...

my 2¢

congrats and enjoy!

cheers

User Info Menu

All is well until we go from "Gigless Peermaster" to "Gearless Beermaster".

Be sure to report back how the Super 58 affects the frequency spectrum (and the string-to-string separation).

User Info Menu

If you're saying the Gigmaster is like a Jim Hall 175, well that's not a bad thing at all IMO.

I agree the neck pickup is dark--could be related to the cap or pot. I don't mind it at all, in fact it gets the sound I am going for. If I want some more treble, for fingerpicking for instance, I add in the bridge pickup.