The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

I think it's a great looking instrument, a refreshing contemporary take on the ES-175. In this instance the headstock really suits the 16" body. Glad not every guitar is a Gibson clone. My only reservation visually is the Grover Imperials.

I have to say, whenever I see a Peerless with built-in h/buckers (or an Ibanez LGB for that matter), I have an overwhelming urge to buy one and install a Shadow Zoller.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 05-26-2016 at 07:09 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any updates on this one?
    Interested in best first affordable ES175 clone and hadn't heard of Peerless before this thread. I was considering a Heritage 575, Eastman or the various Epiphone/Ibanez lower end axe's.
    Last edited by JMoto; 04-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMoto
    Any updates on this one?
    Interested in best first affordable ES175 clone and hadn't heard of Peerless before this thread. I was considering a Heritage 575, Eastman or the various Epiphone/Ibanez lower end axe's.
    I have had two Peerless branded guitars. I traded a set HB 16" Monarch for a set HB 16"+ Jazz City. The Monarch has a 24.6" scale and the Jazz City has a 25.5" scale. I think that Peerless branded guitars are very well made and very good values. Very playable as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I have had two Peerless branded guitars. I traded a set HB 16" Monarch for a set HB 16"+ Jazz City. The Monarch has a 24.6" scale and the Jazz City has a 25.5" scale. I think that Peerless branded guitars are very well made and very good values. Very playable as well.
    I am in complete agreement with your post, Lammie. I also have a Peerless Monarch 16 and think it is a wonderful guitar. The craftsmanship is first rate and the attention to detail is truly excellent as well. an incredible value for $1400.00. I am still playing the Epiphone Alnico 5 Classic pickup and like the tone very much. Will I upgrade the pickup in the future? Probably, but feel no need to do so in the immediate future. She plays like a dream and sounds beautiful. In addition, she's good looking as hell!

As I recently mentioned in AgentSmith's thread regarding affordable ES175 clones, I played a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz at GnJ and thought it was a great playing, great sounding guitar. I am not one to obsess over an instrument sounding like another. I actually kinda' like the fact that the Peerless (and Eastman AR371) has its own voice. It sounds like itself. I guess you either like the tone/playability or you don't.

Although I don't need any more guitars, I sometimes think about buying a Peerless Hardtail (ES335 clone) and replacing the pickups, caps and pots. I should end up with a semi-hollow that may compete quite favorably with a $4000 '335 for about $1500. This is a moot point since my upgraded '97 Epi Sheraton is handling my semi-hollow requirements quite well.

I think you would be happy with a Peerless. IMO, they make great guitars at very reasonable prices.
    Last edited by jazz.fred; 04-23-2017 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMoto
    Any updates on this one?
    This is an old thread but exactly what I am doing now...I had not paid any attention to a Peerless until today
    and they seem to be a great value. If anyone has any more opinions of the Peerless Es175 clone, I would like to hear them before I pull the trigger on one myself.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

User Info Menu

Couple of references here to Epi pickups but in fact the confusion arises from the Peerless catalogue reference to '90% of an Epiphone PAF' or similar. The reference is solely to output. Doc ( Dosco ) may correct me, but the pickups are sourced in Korea exclusively for Peerless.

User Info Menu

Peerless is great quality. I have the "Epi Classic 57" pickups on my Sunset and they sound marvellous with that guitar.

User Info Menu

Absolutely - but they are not 'Epi' pickups.

David
    Formerly Peerless agent for France.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Absolutely - but they are not 'Epi' pickups.

David
    Formerly Peerless agent for France.
    I don't know what you mean Dave...mine literally has "Epiphone Classic 57" printed on the back. Of course Epi doesn't really manufacture anything in America under their own name. Peerless used to build for Epiphone, so I suppose they sourced them from the same place?

I have read that Epi humbuckers were manufactured in Korea--supposedly Alnico 5 magnets; someone on a guitar forum measured them at 8K ohms.

In any event, just my impression A/B'ing the Peerless against a Gibson 135 with Classic 57's (Alnico 2) the Peerless sounds mellower, the Gibson definitely brighter and more articulate, but depending on the tone you're going for--Kenny Burrell, mid-career George Benson--this may not be a bad thing at all.

User Info Menu

I have had the GM for about 6 months and it gets better and better as the wood opens up. I will never sell it! I love it way more than my H575 and it really covers all my basis when it comes to a budget 175. I chose it over an Eastman AR372, and glad I did. The rosewood pick guard and the Grovers are actually a nice touch..I thought,

User Info Menu

Good guitars for gigging musicians, as the name implies. Good catch at that price and condition. I thought Mairants' was closed down?

User Info Menu

The Epi Classic 57's work well in the Peerless guitars, if you're going for a dark, i.e., non-bright sound. Not as bright as the Gibsons for sure.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 02-24-2020 at 04:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice. I really like the Peerless line, have a couple myself. Good luck with your latest acquisition and enjoy the ride!

User Info Menu

Bumping this old thread lol. Thinking of picking one up as I want a quality laminate box and these tick a lot of things for me. I really like the updated style on these, a mix of new and old and tbh modern f-holes seem more appropriate to a laminate box in my head while on carved tops I lean more towards traditional f-holes. Very stylish guitars

Anyways, anyone else with info on these? Not sure if they are even made anymore.