The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 70

User Info Menu

Bill just finished this custom build for me. It is 16", 25-1/4" scale, but has a ladder braced, flat back that tapers from 3-1/8" at the neck to 4-1/8" at the end block. The body and neck are fiddleback Honduras Mahogany and the top is Carpathian Spruce. The fingerboard and pickguard are Cocobolo and Ebony. I am going to audition it next week.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

WOW!! That is stunning! Absolutely gorgeous! I love the design, and the wood is amazing! Congrats!

User Info Menu

so... You couldnt choose between a rosewood or an ebony board ?

Just kiddin that is a beautiful instrument congrats

User Info Menu

Bill is the best - congrats

User Info Menu

Congratulations with this fine guitar. I love how you know what you want. That is really cool.
    Enjoy your new guitar.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    WOW!! That is stunning! Absolutely gorgeous! I love the design, and the wood is amazing! Congrats!
    Thanks, it is a stunner. I look foward to auditioning it next week...

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    so... You couldnt choose between a rosewood or an ebony board ?

Just kiddin that is a beautiful instrument congrats
    Thanks...Actually, this concept of a two wood fingerboard, albeit a bit different was originally done by luthier Steve Andersen a bunch of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Bill is the best - congrats
    incredibly talented luthier...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Congratulations with this fine guitar. I love how you know what you want. That is really cool.
    Enjoy your new guitar.
    Joe D
    Actually Joe, Bill was given a very free reign on this project...

User Info Menu

Alright, But you sure know how to pick the right people to get the job done!
    Great guitar. JD

User Info Menu

Absolutely incredible! I love the choice of woods and the execution is ridiculous. I feel like calling Bill to say "I'll have what iim7v7im7 is having. You are a very lucky guy.

Did he make the tailpiece?

This looks like a "cold dead hands guitar", but since it has not yet been said....DIBS! Seriously though, DIBS!

User Info Menu

I am indeed lucky...

Yes Bill made the tailpiece with a bit of an homage to Jimmy D. It is Ebony with a brass string insert (like yours).

Bill engineered a way to adjust the down pressure of the tailpiece angle and the side-to-side angle.

Here's the end bock bracket...

Quote Originally Posted by kid335
    Absolutely incredible! I love the choice of woods and the execution is ridiculous. I feel like calling Bill to say "I'll have what iim7v7im7 is having. You are a very lucky guy.

Did he make the tailpiece?

This looks like a "cold dead hands guitar", but since it has not yet been said....DIBS! Seriously though, DIBS!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar ! Very tasteful design - executed brilliantly. I love it !!!

User Info Menu

That arc that starts near a peghead, draws the coco-ebo border across the fretboard, and swoops to finish in the pickguard--that just totally raises the design to another level. imho, etc. Brilliantly executed indeed!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this after the audition. I'm a big Comins fan.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Is Bill going to be making a clip before he ships out your guitar? I really want to hear this one.

I really like the sound of a mahogany neck and body. I actually just made a middle of the night impulse buy of a solid body guitar with that combo just yesterday.

User Info Menu

I'm not going to even ask you how much that costs...it looks like one million dollars.

Over the top luthiery. Pardon my French, Incroyable.

I do wish to ask you for your rationale for the choice of a 25.25" scsle length.

That flamed Honduran Mahogany looks like Hawaiian Koa but better.

User Info Menu

Congratulations. Bill is very talented. I know.

Cincy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kid335
    Is Bill going to be making a clip before he ships out your guitar? I really want to hear this one.

I really like the sound of a mahogany neck and body. I actually just made a middle of the night impulse buy of a solid body guitar with that combo just yesterday.
    I am visiting Bill this week to audition it. The guitar will likely stay with him for a few more weeks while he arranges both photography and a video by one of the myriad of pros who he has relationships with. Later this year in October, he will be showing the guitar at the Woodstock Luthiers Showcase. So any of you attending can audition it as well.

User Info Menu

Actually, while certainly not cheap, it was not an astronomically crazy expensive build, particularly when you consider the quality of what it is (unique design, premium woods, master luthier, Rodgers tuners, EVO frets etc.). It cost in the range of the list price a famous historic factory archtops that people like to discuss for pages and pages around here (:-)).

We chose a 25-1/4" scale as a compromise between my preference for playing shorter 25" scale and Bill's desire to get a bit more down pressure on the bridge through string tension. You can see how much flatter thd contour of the top and recurve is in these shots. The top is also braced quite differently than a typical x-braced archtop. It was truly an experiment. Many decisions were prospective SWAGs (scientific wild *ss guesses).

I actually found that fiddleback mahogany neck and body set about 2-years ago at Jerry Hibdon's. It was harvested in Belize in 2011; kiln dried by Jerry and seasoned by Bill for nearly 2-years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I'm not going to even ask you how much that costs...it looks like one million dollars.

Over the top luthiery. Pardon my French, Incroyable.

I do wish to ask you for your rationale for the choice of a 25.25" scsle length.

That flamed Honduran Mahogany looks like Hawaiian Koa but better.

User Info Menu

Wow, stunning, modern and beautiful! There is something amazingly satisfying in having your vision of a special instrument executed by the most skilled luthiers. I hope it will be everything you wanted from it!

User Info Menu

How and why did you decide to use a flat back? The wood is lovely, btw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    How and why did you decide to use a flat back? The wood is lovely, btw.
    We were looking to marry the clarity, balance and crispness of an archtop with some of the enhanced bass response and increased overtones of a flat top. Bill felt by flattening the arch & recurve profile of the top (and its bracing) and adding tapered rims and a ladder braced back of a flat top, he would achieve the desired effect. This is likely best as a solo instrument and not as much for an ensemble.

Bill actually added a maple bridge plate after this shot was taken in response to stringing it up before it was even finished. It truly is a unique, hybrid instrument...

User Info Menu

Absolutely stunning - enjoy!

User Info Menu

great looking guitar.
    John Zeidler used to make something similar w/a flat back and carved top, though he braced it like an archtop.
    usually w/f-holes too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    great looking guitar.
    John Zeidler used to make something similar w/a flat back and carved top, though he braced it like an archtop.
    usually w/f-holes too.
    Yes, and Steve Grimes still makes his Jazz Nouveau model (flat back, f-hole but it also has constant depth rims).

User Info Menu

Zeidler's sides were tapered as well and deeper than his archtops.
    Bill knew John, maybe that's part of where he got the idea.

User Info Menu

Functional art for sure.

Query: Why did you choose EVO frets over Stainless? Also, what strings will be used on this beauty?

User Info Menu

I will ask him on Wednesday when I see him...😎

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Zeidler's sides were tapered as well and deeper than his archtops.
    Bill knew John, maybe that's part of where he got the idea.