Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    two beauties! enjoy

cheers
    I am very much (thanks!)

Quote Originally Posted by kid335
    I know that the oval hole is supposed to be the star of this thread, but that Concert model is ridiculous!
    They are both fantastic, but I bit different.

I still love my Classic but the Zelig is a bit of a different animal with more bass response and a bit more overtones yet still retaining the solidity, crispness and balance of an archtop. The arch on the Zelig is much flatter, the bracing is different and it is tapered in its depth.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A few more from yesterday...

User Info Menu

This may be the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous!

What an amazing guitar. I am happy for you. I am sure it will inspire some great music.

User Info Menu

Holy Crow! Those two are both too gorgeous for any words I am familiar with. Mr Comins is not just an extremely skilled craftsman, but an artist as well.

Congrats and enjoy.
    Chris

User Info Menu

just the name..zelig!.. is a bit of genius as well..bravo...

the guitar that can be anything!

please tell bill c, he's got some new fans!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Here is another video of the Zelig in action. This time with a different set of strings on (TI BeBop .014"-.055") and played by one of my favorite jazz guitarists Jimmy Bruno (Jimmy Bruno Jazz Guitar, Music Educator, online guitar lessons) playing the Sammy Fein tune, Alice in Wonderland. The earlier video that I shared with Tim Farrell playing it had GHS LJ PB's on the guitar and of course there are differences in the recording set up.

User Info Menu

Truly a work of art by a very well respected and highly regarded luthier. Bills guitars have a brilliant ring and balance to them and the fretwork and playability is at the highest level. Very tempting to place an order for one of these . Do enjoy - it's really beautiful.

User Info Menu

Bill has been so busy making guitars that he finally found some time to send me some studio photos that he took of the "Zelig" Slope Rimmed Archtop last June (below). I have also included Bill's description of the guitar in this post:

"This hybrid instrument features a Carpathian Spruce carved top and a flamed Honduran Mahogany flat back with matching sides and neck. The model was conceived and designed to straddle the arched top and flat top guitar worlds and employs a nontraditional modeling of the carved top to this end. The "slope rim" refers to the fact that the bottom perimeter of the carved top elevates as it joins the sides from the upper bout to the lower bout regions. This unique method of arch modeling allows for a flatter arch in the lower bout region of the top, helping to facilitate a fuller sounding bottom end while retaining much of the upper register roundness and separation associated with archtop guitars."

It is a fantastic guitar and Bill will be exhibiting it at The Woodstock Invitational (October 21-23). I hope some of you who have followed along audition it.

User Info Menu

still a spectacular looking guitar..the design and woods

was happy to hear jimmy bruno mention bill c was his luthier in a recent vid (2 threads going here)...

in here-https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/playe...o-youtube.html

maybe a bill c jimmy b model one day

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-09-2016 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, Bill and Jimmy are also good friends and they also live near each other.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    still a spectacular looking guitar..the design and woods

was happy to hear jimmy bruno mention bill c was his luthier in a recent vid (2 threads going here)...

in here-https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/playe...o-youtube.html

maybe a bill c jimmy b model one day

cheers

User Info Menu

Gorgeous acoustic iim7V7IM7!

User Info Menu

Thank you Greg...it may be only 16" at its lower bout, but it is 4-1/8" deep at its end block....

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Gorgeous acoustic iim7V7IM7!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yeah, Jimmy was kind enough to demo the guitar for Bill playing The Sammy Fain tune Alice in Wonderland. The guitar had TI BeBops on it for that demo, but I have also tried nickel bronze and phosphor bronze strings which changes the timbre of the guitar. The tailpiece side-to-side adjustment is a great feature. When I change from BeBop .014s to say nickel bronze .012s I add some extra down pressure on the top by adjusting the tailpiece.

User Info Menu

did you ever ask him if he was inspired by John Zeidler's 'archtop' model?
    I have a feeling he was.
    carved top, flat back....

User Info Menu

No, I did not ask him that. From other conversations, I do know that Bill was friends with John and greatly admired his work. Regarding this commission, Bill talked more about Jimmy D'Aquisto and where he felt he might have been headed acoustically with the flatter contoured profile of the arch.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    did you ever ask him if he was inspired by John Zeidler's 'archtop' model?
    I have a feeling he was.
    carved top, flat back....

User Info Menu

A short article on my guitar by Bill was published on Jazz Guitar Today.

https://jazzguitartoday.com/2019/11/jgt-masterworks-spotlight-comins-zelig-model/

User Info Menu

A tapered body with a mildy arched back plate is a good idea for a variety of reasons.
    Attached Images Attached Images Comins 16" Acoustic Oval Hole Hybrid Archtop-taper-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    A tapered body with a mildy arched back plate is a good idea for a variety of reasons.
    Agreed...I have another 16”er underway (different builder) that will also have tapered rims (3” to 3-1/2”).