The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 299

User Info Menu

'Since I've Been Loving You' is probably the highlight of that (admittedly mediocre) film.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't listen to rock much these days, but when I occasionally want a quick fix of some, I tend to put on a Led Zep track. They still sound damn good to me, in that genre.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    In Page's case, it only confirms he was indeed stoned. He doesn't belong in a sentence with Pass and Kessel, sorry.
    Page, Kesslel, and Pass were all great guitarists in their respective genres.

See, fits right in a sentence!

User Info Menu

Page belongs to that time and place (Led Zep), he didn't age well musically speaking IMO. Today he just sounds dated. Great composer though... Clapton and Beck aged much better. But they don't play Gibson guitars anymore, so out of topic, I guess.

But we can still mention Tony Iommy! This guy's playing never gets old, not to my ears, ever! And he plays SG- the only Gibson that really matters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    All working musicians know that one can't be up there every night delivering the ultimate show and your presumption that this is the best they could play live is pure speculation.

But we sure get your message that you don't like Jimmy Page.
    I don't see why not? It's called professionalism. Of course if you show up so drunk and stoned to your paying audience that you can barely remember your name, you're not going to be "up there". Many more people would die everyday if, say, fire fighters and surgeons had that kind of ethics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I don't know if Page could play Cherokee or Giant Steps at tempo (I suspect he could with practice), but I am quite sure Joe and Barney couldn't play Whole Lotta Love with a violin bow.
    I'm not so sure. Kessel was a session player on the west coast and played on Beach Boys tracks, Sonny and Cher, Rock, country, you name it. He also played mandolin. The man could do almost any style. Likewise Joe Pass had an uncanny ability to assimilate to a style.

User Info Menu

I don't see why not? It's called professionalism. Of course if you show up so drunk and stoned to your paying audience that you can barely remember your name, you're not going to be "up there". Many more people would die everyday if, say, fire fighters and surgeons had that kind of ethics.
    I'm not about to approve of showing up drunk or stoned, but the analogy here is false. Not every task or situation demands the same approach. While I think all artists and musicians would do better if they weren't on drugs or alcohol, there's no denying some amazing artistic work has been done by people who you would not want to show up if your house were on fire and you'd just dialed 9-1-1.

And the audience, I am sorry to say, was likely as or more stoned, and probably loved it.

Again, I'm not approving or defending, just observing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm not about to approve of showing up drunk or stoned, but the analogy here is false. Not every task or situation demands the same approach. While I think all artists and musicians would do better if they weren't on drugs or alcohol, there's no denying some amazing artistic work has been done by people who you would not want to show up if your house were on fire and you'd just dialed 9-1-1.

And the audience, I am sorry to say, was likely as or more stoned, and probably loved it.

Again, I'm not approving or defending, just observing.
    No enduring art has ever been done under the influence I'm afraid. Baudelaire and Nerval, two rather major poets who used substances, but only ever worked sober, wrote quite definitely about the substance conundrum in their day. Personally, I'm very opposed to drugs which I consider a scourge of humanity and tend to despise people who promote them, but that's another issue.

The thread must be close to two weeks old by now, please don't mind my bowing out. Sorry that I'm partly responsible for derailing it and for any ruffled feathers.
    Last edited by m_d; 05-18-2016 at 12:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Interestingly, Gibson created the Les Paul guitar (Les had little to do with it, just the bridge/tailpiece which Gibson soon replaced with better hardware) with jazz guitarists in mind, but the guitar never caught on with them (Pat Martino, George Benson and Les Paul being notable exceptions). It was the blues-rockers (Clapton, Page, Bloomfield) who discovered that the sustain of the Les Paul was perfect for their music who made the Les Paul the second most popular guitar in the world (after the Strat).

If not for guys like Jimmy Page, there might not even be a Gibson today....

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=m_d;652285]I don't see why not? It's called professionalism. Of course if you show up so drunk and stoned to your paying audience that you can barely remember your name, you're not going to be "up there".

If true, this is sadly ironic.

Jimmy Page did a decently long written interview in which he discussed his ups/downs with Jeff Beck. I can't find the volume right now but my recollection is pretty clear. He said, in substance, "I don't call Jeff...and he doesn't call me", that Beck "when he was on...was maybe the best around...." but that he often showed up for club dates or concerts, too blotto to "be on....and that this showed complete disrespect for the audience."

The other thing that came through in this interview was Page's complete understanding/mastery of little studio tricks to get a certain sound...how to make a telecaster sound big and snarly--use a "nasty little Supro" with remote mike-ing, and sometimes use of sound boxes.

I think a lot of Led Z.'s sound was an artifact of studio production: I'm not sure it translated well to doing a live show. (Maybe he got himself blotto, because he knew the live show wasn't quite coming off correctly. Maybe I'm overstating this---the music hall around the corner has taken, in a downturn, to booking tribute bands, and one of them is a Led Z. band: I'm half tempted to go to a show just to see how close they come to the original....curious to see how much actual playing is going on versus "help" from backing tracks, etc.)

Kind of ironic that the Jimmy Page Les P. guitar had a lot of bells and whistles when his studio approach was kind of old school.

User Info Menu

I suppose we should toss out all that Charlie Parker nonsense while we're at it. Pure slop, that.

User Info Menu

No enduring art has ever been done under the influence I'm afraid. Baudelaire and Nerval, two rather major poets who used substances, but only ever worked sober, wrote quite definitely about the substance conundrum in their day. Personally, I'm very opposed to drugs which I consider a scourge of humanity and tend to despise people who promote them, but that's another issue.

The thread must be close to two weeks old by now, please don't mind my bowing out. Sorry that I'm partly responsible for derailing it and for any ruffled feathers.
    Yep, nothing good ever came out of Hemingway, Hunter S Thompson, Hendrix, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, on and on...

Surely substance abuse caused these people plenty of pain and trouble in their lives at times but claiming that "no enduring art has ever been done under the influence" is ludicrous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Yep, nothing good ever came out of Hemingway, Hunter S Thompson, Hendrix, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, on and on...

Surely substance abuse caused these people plenty of pain and trouble in their lives at times but claiming that "no enduring art has ever been done under the influence" is ludicrous.
    It's not a claim, it's a fact. Parker actually apologized for possibly influencing others to use drugs - like a gentleman, an intelligent man would do. He wasn't using drugs during the formative years when he was reinventing jazz, and God knows how much more he could have done without the drugs.

User Info Menu

Music itself is an intoxicant of the senses. It is a pointless activity outside of that. It's inherent value stands, as does the work of artists who, sober or not, achieved what most of us can only aspire to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Parker was doing drugs at the height of his career....

These people paid for their drug use and I'm not suggesting anyone go that route but you can't just put horse blinders on and pretend that no worthwhile art has ever been made while on substances
    Parker was no more than 19 or 20 (maybe not even) when he was thrown out of a car, while returning home from a gig at a summer resort in the Ozarks. He suffered severe injuries and was hospitalized for several months, and was fed opiates all the while. When he was released, he continued using, as he was released without any attempt to withdraw him.

For pretty much the rest of his life, he was a fairly consistent user. When he wasn't, he was doing about a fifth of whiskey a day which didn't help him much either.

The previous post of drbhrb is correct. When I told my teenage son how great Bird he was, he asked me if it was true that Parker used heroin. I said that it was, and then told him what Bird's coroner's certificate said, i.e. "Male Negro, aged 60 years" : He got the point. (Bird was 34.)

User Info Menu

Wasn't he about 7 when he had the accident?

I need to consult wiki, not the doctor that guessed his age for the post-mortem.

User Info Menu

No one is suggesting that Bird's health was improved by addiction; only that his artistic output wasn't negated by it, just as death doesn't negate a life. However young Parker died, and however old he appeared, was his work not still widely recognized as great? The reality is that his work was a culmination of all of his experiences. Subtract or substitute any of them and it would have been different. Would that have been better? Who's to say? It was what it was. Technical facility is one aspect of music making. Focus is another. But then it all starts with the inner sound in the mind's ear. Bird heard fascinating things, whatever led him to hear them, and whatever inhibitions were not present to... inhibit them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm not so sure. Kessel was a session player on the west coast and played on Beach Boys tracks, Sonny and Cher, Rock, country, you name it. He also played mandolin. The man could do almost any style. Likewise Joe Pass had an uncanny ability to assimilate to a style.
    Uh maybe, but the thought of Barney or Joe playing Immigrant Song while wearing bell-bottom jeans and a brocade jacket open to the waist, with a cigarette dangling from the side of the mouth and the guitar body hanging down to mid-pelvis level, is not a mental image one can easily appreciate, ya know?

The Cost of a Gibson-jimmy-page-guitar-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Wasn't he about 7 when he had the accident?

He was a working band member returning home, and the car in which he was traveling careened off the road in a rainstorm, and he was thrown out of it. So...7 is way too young.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    He was a working band member returning home, and the car in which he was traveling careened off the road in a rainstorm, and he was thrown out of it. So...7 is way too young.

You were closer

User Info Menu

This stuck in my mind from reading a biography of Parker.

Now, 20 years ago, I could have remembered its title, but starting to push 60, the memory is tending toward "rusty hinge", not "steel trap."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    This stuck in my mind from reading a biography of Parker.

Now, 20 years ago, I could have remembered its title, but starting to push 60, the memory is tending toward "rusty hinge", not "steel trap."

TBF I think my uni lecturer had told the story one too many times and with each subsequent telling, the age got lower.

Lets call it improvisation lol

User Info Menu

I think that it is possible to debate the difference between art and entertainment ad infinitum, but I think that people can be drawn towards freak shows. Drugs have a tendency to make people freakish and do freakish things. Some people can do freakishly good things (in terms of taste) while on drugs. The dilemma is that you never know if their talents are real or enhanced by using drugs. I just accept it and take the best from it. The fact that they are, or were, using drugs is mostly immaterial to me. They aren't gods to me and I don't get into analyzing them.

User Info Menu

peter green- the supernatural

cheers

User Info Menu

I saw Tommy Emmanuelle fall off the stage once he was so drunk. He used to play in Australia with a band called Dragon. The singer Mark Hunter and Tommy were totally wasted. I think they were leaning on each other cause both were struggling to stand. It was one of the best concerts I have been to, the party atmosphere was crazy, I can still remember it 30 years later.