The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hello fellow jazz guitarists,

For some of you looking for a floating PU, CC model proposed by Pete Biltoft is a good possibility. I was not satisfied with my Johnny Smith PU (Kent Armstrong). Sound was way too smooth for me, lacking punch for my personal taste. I am definitly a CC guy !

I am very satisfied of the new PU. I was unsure whether it would have the characteristic crispy sound of a good CC unit. CC PU need a huge magnet to deliver the sound, and there is not much space for a floater...I like the sound I must say

You can hear and watch a demo here.

Cheers.

Fred

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fred, you read my mind buddy!
    ive been thinking about which pickup to buy down the road, when I change out the plain stock unbound pick-guard on my new Solid Formed. Just yesterday I was thinking about how perfect this Pete Biltoft CC would LOOK with a single ply bound pickguard. I wasn't sure how it would sound. You basically did exactly what I was thinking.
    i kind of like smooth. But when I need it, I like a little bite too. Your setup sounds incredible! Your playing is outstanding. Man you are really good!
    You just confirmed my future plans. Thank you so much Fred. That made my day!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Beautiful Fred !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    You just confirmed my future plans. Thank you so much Fred. That made my day!
    Joe D
    Joe, I'm so glad if I can help. I'm learning so much from you and others mates of this forum. Thanks for sharing !!!

Best to you.

User Info Menu

Ooh, ooh, ooh!

Very nice, thank you (& lovely playing, too.)

User Info Menu

I love your demos, Fred. You show an unfettered dedication to the CC blade pickup on various archtops. Respect!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I love your demos, Fred. You show an unfettered dedication to the CC blade pickup on various archtops. Respect!
    Thanks Jabbs, but I still miss the 18" model here....

Best to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    \
    I am very satisfied of the new PU. I was unsure whether it would have the characteristic crispy sound of a good CC unit. CC PU need a huge magnet to deliver the sound, and there is not much space for a floater...I like the sound I must say

Fred
    Pete Blitoft has offered interchangeable magnets in his pickups for a long time. Your pickup uses those interchangeable magnets, doesn't it? Which one did you end up using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertm2000
    Your pickup uses those interchangeable magnets, doesn't it? Which one did you end up using?
    Alnico V. But it was factory mounted by Pete. My guitar tech said to me before 'Fred, seen what sound you're in, just request foor a good ole' alnico V magnet'.

User Info Menu

Loved the playing,

the pickup sounds wonderful, really nice attack and very consistent tone through all the registers.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 05-01-2016 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Lovely tune, tone, and touch. Very, very nice.

User Info Menu

I have a similar pickup from Pete Biltoft on my Gretsch Synchromatic G400. I love it.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing of a beautiful guitar with beautiful sound.
    Great idea on the CC floater.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Is this something that you have to special order from Pete? I have been looking for a floating pickup for a 1950s-ish German archtop I am restoring and really loved that sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Is this something that you have to special order from Pete?
    Yes, Pete is preparing them upon request. Pete can adapt to the space available between your strings and the tabletop. He said he can narrow the PU thickness down to 9mm. 11 mm like the one I have is the standard dimension for a Johnny Smith PU.

User Info Menu

Very nice!

It's been a long way from Alvino Rey's prototype pickup to these "floating Charlie Christian" PU's:
    In spring of 1935 Rey was hired by the Gibson Guitar Corporation to produce a prototype pickup with engineers at the Lyon & Healy company in Chicago, based on the one he developed for his own banjo. The result was used for Gibson's first electric guitar ES-150. The prototype is kept in the Experience Music Project museum in Seattle, commonly known as the Hendrix Museum. [Wikipedia]

User Info Menu

Wow. Beatiful sound and playing. A CC pickup and an L5 is one of my dream combinations.

User Info Menu

Is that the original pickguard? Was it notched for the pickup? Or did Biltoff provide the complete package (pickguard, controls, jack)? Looks like something that would come on and off the guitar with a few screws, a gracefully executed setup (if you don't step on the cord ;-)

User Info Menu

Fred,

Sound great!
    Would you mind tell us how the pick guard mount 1/4" jack is done?

Thanks!
    Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Is that the original pickguard? Was it notched for the pickup? Or did Biltoff provide the complete package (pickguard, controls, jack)? Looks like something that would come on and off the guitar with a few screws, a gracefully executed setup (if you don't step on the cord ;-)
    It's a non original pickguard. Pete has only provided the mike with correct thickness determined by my personal guitar tech (11 mm). The pickguard has been transformed by Micheal, my one-of-a-kind and cherished guitar tech. Michael first installed a Johnny Smith/Kent Armstrong PU upon my request and he had to notch the pickguard for that. Then he changed for the new CC PU a few months after, since I was bored by the JS sound. I was unsure if he could manage to take off the JS PU without destructing the pickguard. But he is the kinda guitar tech currently doing things impossible for the vast majority of us. Also a strong request from me was to have the knobs installed exactly where they are, because I need to use the pickguard as finger rest when I am playing.

I must say all the installation is very well done, very clean, with invisible electronics when you look at the guitar. Plus the jack endpin is quite sturdy how it is fixed, untill you don't jump on the cable. The pickguard has kept its original old style, with the two discrete tiny knobs. There is just one screw to keep the whole thing in place. I think it has improved the general look of the guitar over the pure acoustic look she had before.

Cheers

Fred

Floating CC PU on my Gibson L5C-pickguard-1-jpgFloating CC PU on my Gibson L5C-pickguard-2-jpgFloating CC PU on my Gibson L5C-img_9385-jpgFloating CC PU on my Gibson L5C-img_0163-jpg
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 05-02-2016 at 01:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks!!

I'm contemplating putting a pickup on my 18" non cutaway Campellone acoustic and this is helping me think that through

User Info Menu

I bought mine through the ebay store.

User Info Menu

Point of information. The builder of the pu is "Pete Biltoft"...not Biltoff or Blitof....in case you try to do a search for him.

I have no affiliation with him, but am just a very satisfied customer of his with several of his PU's...a set of strat rails that are warm and juicy (and quiet), a humbucker-sized P90 that is low-wound and rich-sounding (and quiet), and a tele set that is slightly overwound--still twangy but full and rich (and quiet).

I believe all of his products show exceptional build quality, and he is first rate to deal with.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 05-02-2016 at 04:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Do you know the pots and cap values ?