The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

Finally! Two excerpts of Misty played on the Trenier Broadway. The first track is acoustically played with a heavy pick. The second is also played with the same pick through a Rivera Suprema Jazz 55 with a 12” speaker. I’m realizing that I need to record my practicing because I’m now hearing the unintended pauses and muted notes. Ugh!!!

I’m also wondering if I should be using a lighter pick to get more of an acoustic tone with this guitar. Do you all play with the same pick for all of your guitars or do you try to play specific guitars with specific picks to optimize tone?

Anyway, I’d be interested in knowing what you think about the tone of the guitar acoustically and amplified (BTW, I used minimal amp reverb but it sounds more reverberant than I would usually dial in).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That sounds just wonderful! If it's not very loud acoustically, try raising the action. I assume it has some sort of nickel strings, too which would reduce the overall acoustic volume and diminish the bass significantly. But regardless that definitely has the Broadway sound I associate with this guitars, very harmonically rich and full with a strong, thick fundamental. The one time I played a Broadway I was blown away by the evenness of the response anywhere on the fretboard. I'll let Steve L (QAman) chime in with his impressions since he seems to be the most knowledgeable around her about Trenier's builds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    That sounds just wonderful! If it's not very loud acoustically, try raising the action. I assume it has some sort of nickel strings, too which would reduce the overall acoustic volume and diminish the bass significantly. But regardless that definitely has the Broadway sound I associate with this guitars, very harmonically rich and full with a strong, thick fundamental. The one time I played a Broadway I was blown away by the evenness of the response anywhere on the fretboard. I'll let Steve L (QAman) chime in with his impressions since he seems to be the most knowledgeable around her about Trenier's builds.
    Thanks! I’m glad that I was able to capture the essential sound of the guitar. Not thrilled with my playing but a work in progress.

I believe there are medium gauge bronze strings on the guitar but it seems that the volume present during my playing didn’t translate well to the Spire app on my iPad. Use of a carefully placed microphone intended for acoustic instruments and an optimized recording chain would help.

I also wonder if the guitar needs to be played in to get the volume increased. It has sat around for a while from what I understand. I have a Tone-Rite that could help but I think it would be more fun to just play it in to boost the volume.

Plus I have a fairly light touch with the pick. I could certainly drive it harder. And, raising the action would help as you indicate. For me it has to be a balance between tone and volume, and playability. I have hand issues that I wish weren’t present.

Bill,
    The guitar sounds wonderful - real woody - and it has that classic Archtop sound from the period !

As for picks - I always use a heavy pick with a nice polished radius on edge - which drives the top and brings out the richness in tone.

Just experiment with picks to see which gives you the best sound. But light picks will not give you great tone.

As for strings - I use DR round core phosphor bronze.

The most important assessment is how does it feel and sound to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Bill,
    The guitar sounds wonderful - real woody - and it has that classic Archtop sound from the period !

As for picks - I always use a heavy pick with a nice polished radius on edge - which drives the top and brings out the richness in tone.

Just experiment with picks to see which gives you the best sound. But light picks will not give you great tone.

As for strings - I use DR round core phosphor bronze.

The most important assessment is how does it feel and sound to you.
    Great to hear that you’re liking the sound of the guitar, Steve! After hearing from everyone on the forum, having a friend stop by and play it, and spending time with the guitar this weekend, I decided to purchase the guitar. It’s a wonderful instrument and I know I’ll be very happy with it. Of course, we all say that but are always on the lookout for the next acquisition!

Right now, my favorite pick is a D’Andrea Ultra Plecs. It’s 1.5 mm thick and has a nice warm tone. So I’ll continue to use it.

Thank you for the string recommendation. I will pick up a set to install on the guitar when the current set needs to be replaced. I like that the floating pickup has 12 poles to allow adjustment for a variety of string types.

So, the guitar does feel and sound great to me and I hope to play it in good health for a long time to come.

Thanks for your input, Steve!

Bill,
    My pleasure to help. Sounds like you picked up a fine instrument - and do enjoy!

I like round core strings for all of my acoustic guitars because they require less string tension to pitch, which translates into less fretting tension - and more liveliness in my opinion.

I’m liking the new DR “RARE” string. It delivers a fat sound with great volume - you may want to try them.

User Info Menu

Bill,
    My pleasure to help. Sounds like you picked up a fine instrument - and do enjoy!

I like round core strings for all of my acoustic guitars because they require less string tension to pitch, which translates into less fretting tension - and more liveliness in my opinion.

I’m liking the new DR “RARE” string. It delivers a fat sound with great volume - you may want to try them.
    Thanks! Will check out the DR “RARE” strings too. Greatly appreciate your recommendations.

User Info Menu

I own a Trenier Broadway since about 10 years. Absolutely wonderful guitar. Resonant and alive. Sounds amazing both acoustically and amplified (e.g., with a Henriksen or similar).

Bryant sometimes makes them with maple back, sometimes walnut. Mine was made in 2008, has a maple back with an adirondack top.

User Info Menu

Bill,

A very true remark! The fact that the choice of pick and the characteristics of it's design/shape matters very much for the sound of the played guitar is often overlooked!
    Last edited by JazzNote; 03-22-2020 at 06:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vetamera
    I own a Trenier Broadway since about 10 years. Absolutely wonderful guitar. Resonant and alive. Sounds amazing both acoustically and amplified (e.g., with a Henriksen or similar).

Bryant sometimes makes them with maple back, sometimes walnut. Mine was made in 2008, has a maple back with an adirondack top.
    Nice to hear how much you are enjoying your Trenier Broadway. I feel the same way about the one that I acquired. Mine has the black walnut back and sides with the back grain running up and down rather than across. It’s truly stunning.

Interestingly, I had sent the guitar away to a very reputable luthier known for finish restoration and it took many months for him to get through his queue to start working on it. And when it was shipped back to me, the pickguard detached from its side neck mount. Most likely due to brittle glue coupled with cold temperatures and vibration. Luckily the pickguard was sufficiently wrapped to prevent damage to the top. But, then it took another month to get it back from a local luthier to get the pickguard reattached. It was a long journey but the guitar looks almost new and I’m really glad to get it back. A truly superb instrument in terms of tonal quality, playability and aesthetics.

For some of the Trenier admirers who may have missed this - here is a link to a recent blind test which includes a new Trenier Broadway, 20’s L5 and s 30’s D’A. Special thanks to Omph for putting this together.

Blindfold Test - Match the guitar to the audio! (Gibson, D'Angelico, Trenier) ANSWERS
    Blindfold Test - Match the guitar to the audio! (Gibson, D'Angelico, Trenier) ANSWERS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

As for the 3 guitars they all sounded great and frankly a bit different but not like completely different. Any of those guitars would be fine to play and own. Take your pick they certainly are at the top of the field in jazz guitar. I manage to get the Trenier correct on the 1st recording but then thought got the L5 and D'a wrong but both were close but I am not completely sure how I remember I voted. I did think that guitar 1 was the Trenier.

In regards to the different it does have to do with the midrange. I notice that when I play my 2003 L5 acoustic it does not have the midrange of my Hollenbeck or Barker guitars. At some point it can really be about splitting hairs on sound and what is good? In the case of Omph's guitars, I would take any of those guitars but if you ask me which one I wanted the most no question it would be the D'angelico. That is not because it is worth the most which it may not necessarily be the 28 L5 might be worth more? I just happen to be drawn to the D'angelico with all the particulars of D'angelico guitars.

One other thing is the type of pick you use can really effect the sound of the guitar and obviously the strings. Assuming the strings are the same then picks really effect the sound. I have various picks I use the only common thing with all of them is they are thick. A pick with polished surface sounds different than one the has a bit of roughness added. Also nylon sounds very different. I even have one of the stone-like picks but frankly it is just too brittle sounding I don't like it. Tortex are different and then the sound changes if you use the round side of the pick or the pointed side of the pick.

Rich Severson like to say everything effects a jazz guitar on the sound. How you hold the guitar, your shoes, the weather, and the position you hold it playing. He is spot on!