The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 87

User Info Menu

The Trenier Broadway might be the most attractive guitar in existence for me. Owning a 16" 30s Gibson L7 and a 17" Walnut Epiphone Broadway (And having played a 30s DA Snakehead), I have always felt that the Trenier Broadway may capture the best qualities of all of these instruments. I would love an opportunity to play one, but they're not common to see in the used market. I know archtop.com has one entering the showroom, but it has 3 features I could do without: cutaway, gold hardware, reproduction dearmond.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This past summer, I spent some time in NYC visiting the major shops and playing instruments by some of the best guitar builders in history. This ranged from dotneck 1920s Gibsons to multiple eras of D'Angelicos and D'Aquistos. While I was out there, two guitars really blew me away. The two were a guitar by Jimmy D'Aquisto and one of Bryant Trenier's Broadways (2008, I believe). Of course, all the dotneck Gibsons also blew me away, but this was a more familiar sound to me.

I learned two valuable lessons from this experience.

The first one was an extreme appreciation for the 1935 Epiphone Broadway that I bought from a forum member earlier this year. Many people chock up Epiphones to loud and blunt, but that Broadway with a 16" body, long scale, and walnut back/sides has a uniquely deep and rich voice - the perfect balance of power and beauty. Even after a week of playing guitars worth 10 times its value, I was immediately grateful to return home to my Broadway. I cherish that guitar and make a point to play it every day. I hope to record more for the good folks here on the forum to share some of what I get to feel when I play it.

Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-6ef633c0-f076-45e3-a73d-74668acf52bd-jpg

The other thing I learned was there was to be another Broadway in my life, one made by Bryant Trenier. I played and very nearly purchased a guitar from a forum member out there, Royce, who was also great company and quite the gentleman. The guitar was beautiful and the sound was just unbelievable, but I passed on it for somewhat superficial reasons. In the early 2000's Bryant was exploring various design philosophies with respect to the Broadway. As he told me, some of them were a hybrid of the D'Aquisto sound and the 30s snakehead sound. In more recent years, he has settled on a design that he considers the fulfillment of the 30s archtop design. After exchanges with Bryant, it was time to make a commitment.

Last week Bryant Trenier confirmed receipt of my deposit for his 2020 Broadway. Thanks to conversations with Jonathan Stout, Steve Longobardi, Nick Rossi, and many others, I have known for some time that this guitar was in my future. I only wish I had acted sooner, as his 2019 was already reserved by the time I established contact.

For anyone curious to hear the sound of the Broadway, I recommend checking the video uploaded on Bryant Trenier's page here: Trenier Guitars

Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-img_7567-1-jpg

I've requested Bryant to construct this similarly to the Broadway he made for Steve L, shown below.

Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-4018ceb0cf340b46d7b59572b2a2fdd9-jpg

I'll have some cosmetic modifications: snakehead style headstock, probably a curved pickguard, too. So it will look very L-5 / DA Snakehead - like. One of my aesthetic requests may surprise members of the forum. Specifically, I have had a long-time infatuation with the picture-frame inlays that Gibson used on its banjos, 16" L10s and L12s, and early advanced L7. To some, this may represent a budget feature as compared to the block inlays of the L5. However, there have been a few examples of custom ordered L5s specifically requested to have these inlays. In my opinion, the feature is exquisite.

Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-p-9316-685gibson-1934-l-5-special_001-jpg

I know that Dutch luthier Daniel Slaman also has an affinity for these inlays.
    Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-slaman-littlesister-09__large-jpg

It is going to be a long 24-month wait. The good news is that it gives me time to sell off other gear and maybe some body parts. In the meantime, please PM me if you are or happen to know anyone in need of a kidney.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-17-2018 at 03:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Ask for the oil varnish finish. And go on to do other things and not think about it. Those 24 months will go by quickly. 2019 is nearly upon us. Perhaps it is slated for early 2020 delivery? In that case, it will be more like 15 to 18 months than 24.

Happy for you : )

User Info Menu

O, That is fantastic, and a very 'sound' decision! You will never regret it. I own an Excel style, and will never give it up. Man, you're living my dream with that one. And, it's almost 2019, so, won't be long. You're going to love it.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! I ordered a Jazz Special a few months ago. I understand the need to be patient and wait. Bryant's guitars are exceptional!

User Info Menu

Those are all amazing guitars. I dream of owning an Epi like the one above. And they are all well bestowed with you! Congratulations. I’m sure your present Broadway will keep you very good company while you wait for 2020!

A fantastic choice - and a wise purchase. You now have plenty of time to gather the funds.

I’ve said it for many years on this forum - Bryant’s guitar are extraordinary instruments and blend the best sound and aesthetic attributes of the earlier period masterpiece guitars.

I’m sure it will be like my Broadway - which sounds like my 35’ D’Angelico snakehead

Congrats - and keep us posted with updates.

User Info Menu

Congrats ! Hopefully time doesn't suddenly 'stand still'.

I agree completely with picture frame inlays being exquisite. I love them on my L-7, and had no idea there were L-5's built with them. If you have any other photo's of these L-5 s built with those inlays, I'd love to see them.

Congrats again.

User Info Menu

Good choice ! I got my Jazz Special in mid July and I can't keep my hands off that guitar ...... totally inspiring tones, no matter which amp I use or no amp at all and the 16" body size makes it the most comfortable axe in my collection.
    That nice Epi should tie you over until 2020 .....

User Info Menu

Bryant doesn't list the D'Aquisto style Excel model on his new website I noticed. Found this YouTube of a demo by Steve done a while ago...

User Info Menu

I'm very excited for you and I don't think it gets much better these days than a Trenier Broadway. I thought the picture frame inlays on your '36 L7 were striking and was wondering if you're planning on having Bryant recreate those or are you going to come up with your own set of inlays?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcut
    I'm very excited for you and I don't think it gets much better these days than a Trenier Broadway. I thought the picture frame inlays on your '36 L7 were striking and was wondering if you're planning on having Bryant recreate those or are you going to come up with your own set of inlays?
    Thank you! Yes, my intention is to replicate the Gibson design as closely as possible. The difference, of course, will be in the woods used, since rosewood cannot be exported from the EU. I was already planning to go with ebony for the fingerboard, but I'm sure Bryant will have recommendations on the wood used for the inlays. Does anyone know what Daniel Slaman uses for the inlays?

User Info Menu

Omph,
    you did a smart thing. I have a feeling these Treniers will be credited with carrying on the tradition of archtop building as it was set forth by the old masters. A new generation of magic right there.
    very cool. I am happy for you.
    Joe D

The carving process used by Jim D’Aquisto involved two key voicing steps. The first , to carve the body assembly to achieve a rough idea of the instruments voice. Then the final carve was after the neck installation - because this changes the frequency and resonance of the guitar body.

Bryant follows this same process . This video depicts the final carving , deflection testing ( by feel) and the tap tuning of the guitar after neck installation . The back is carved to achieve a low frequency - which provides warmth and sensitivity - and is coordinated with the top scraping to act as one cohesive unit.

At this stage the final recurve is established - based on the combinations of woods, stiffness and what the Luthiers hearing. This is the critical stage ( as Jim D would say).

One again - I can tell you by recent comparison to a 77’ D’Aquisto New Yorker Special - that Bryant has developed the feel and ear needed to consistently get the “D’Aqustio ring and sustain “, along with the volume as we refer to as - “ it’s a Canon”.

I’ve spent many years in both Jimmy and Bryant’s shop to witness the process .

As Rudy Pensa said at the 2014 Woodstock show “ Jimmy is back “.

Its so exciting to see Bryant embrace Jimmy’s passion and recreate these masterpiece guitars. If anyone is on the fence about ordering one of these - you will have no regrets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    I believe this is Kamplapati Khalsa, another forum member.
    You are correct SIR! He used to own the Trenier Magnolia that I got at Gryphon...
    THEN, I saw/heard that Excel...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    You are correct SIR! He used to own the Trenier Magnolia that I got at Gryphon...
    THEN, I saw/heard that Excel...
    I played your Trenier Magnolia at Gryphon, which inspired me to order one from Bryant. Only reason I didn't beat you to the punch is that I prefer a cutaway. You scored!

User Info Menu

Thank you for passing on that guitar.. er Steinway!!
    I bought it after 1st strum, never felt/heard anything like that before.
    BT is TOP NOTCH folks!!

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Trenier Broadway non-cutaway in for evaluation that I need to decide as to whether to purchase it or not by tomorrow. The serial number appears to be 1034. Not sure if that means it was his 32nd guitar. I have posted photos below. Sorry for the alignment- not sure how to straighten the photos.

I’m wondering if anyone recognizes the guitar and knows it’s history. I was told that it has had at least two owners.

I’m also curious as to what these guitars sold for new. My guess is that I’m paying what it sold for new, but no surprise given Bryant’s craft and demand for his guitars.

And, I’m wondering how far his craft has evolved in the 12 or so years that has passed since this guitar was made. Are the construction technique, quality, and tonal quality significantly different today compared to 2007?

The guitar is x-braced. It has a sweet, balanced tone. It’s somewhat quiet in terms of volume, but that may be due to it not being played for a while. It’s comparable in volume to my Loar LH-700. Through the Kent Armstrong pickup, it sounds wonderful with all of its acoustic properties preserved. There are some minor finish flaws that can easily be taken care of, such as superficial scratches, scuffs, small nicks, and some nitro clouding. I’m wondering if any of you have recommendations for someone you would trust to do that kind of work?

Thanks for your help,

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-a248eddd-325a-4811-8a27-ec9f3d8c854d-jpg Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-3750d4f8-1e56-4a79-80a0-896d9d43dff9-jpg Trenier Broadway (DA copy)-2e19ecaa-41a8-4d9f-8187-b38005075533-jpg 

User Info Menu

Meant to say the serial number appears to be 1032.

User Info Menu

I love these guitars. I'm scheduled to be the lucky owner of 2020's Broadway. Do post some clips when you get a chance. I'm curious about the sound, since I imagine Bryant had done some adjustments to make this an electric guitar.

User Info Menu

Hmmm . . . You raise a good point about how the guitar has been voiced. It actually has an additional pickguard in the case for acoustic playing only. So is it an electric guitar or acoustic guitar?

I have one clip of it amplified that I will post later. I need to run out of the house but when I return I will record it acoustically and post both clips.

I wonder if Bryant would respond to an email asking whether this guitar was meant to be an acoustic or electric guitar?

User Info Menu

The pickup is a floater so imagine it’s voiced as an acoustic guitar.

User Info Menu

This is a fine guitar I am sure my only thing is that personally I am not a fan of dot inlay on a guitar at all unless it is the GIBSON 335. Otherwise a plain fingerboard is better although again my preference on a fine guitar is position markers that stand out more than dots. A simple l5 type inlay is fine for instance. This is getting picky but you at least get my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    This is a fine guitar I am sure my only thing is that personally I am not a fan of dot inlay on a guitar at all unless it is the GIBSON 335. Otherwise a plain fingerboard is better although again my preference on a fine guitar is position markers that stand out more than dots. A simple l5 type inlay is fine for instance. This is getting picky but you at least get my thoughts for whatever they are worth.
    Thanks, Deacon Mark. I’m with you on the inlay. I did now just go back to Bryant’s website for the Broadway and he has photos up of both dot and block inlays. I guess the original purchaser liked the dots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    Hmmm . . . You raise a good point about how the guitar has been voiced. It actually has an additional pickguard in the case for acoustic playing only. So is it an electric guitar or acoustic guitar?

I have one clip of it amplified that I will post later. I need to run out of the house but when I return I will record it acoustically and post both clips.

I wonder if Bryant would respond to an email asking whether this guitar was meant to be an acoustic or electric guitar?
    I have the two clips (acoustic and amplified) recorded but am having great difficulty getting them uploaded to this site. I’m using Spire which creates the files in mp4 which I have realized is not a compatible file. So performed a conversion to mp3, but it’s taking forever to upload the files from my ancient computer to iCloud and Dropbox. And, Soundcloud is not cooperating either. Hopefully will get them posted soon.