The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 87
    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yes, those guitars were made to cut through an 'orchestra' so the people sitting in the back seats of an auditorium could hear them driving the band-with no amps.
    My father (from whom I inherited my '35 Snakehead D'A) used to play 'house wedding' gigs back in the Depression, and the guitar was so powerful, they didn't have to hire a bass player, pianist or drummer.
    Other than the gold hardware, it looks just like my Snakehead '35 D'A, although the body seems to look a little fatter.

My father was always under the impression that the Snakehead was a 16" guitar. I just measured it, and it seems to be about 16 and 1/4". John D. was famous for never making the same guitar twice. My father used to hang out in his shop, when Jimmy was the kid who swept the place up, and he'd trace a prospective owner's hand on a piece of paper, and make the neck/fingerboard accordingly.
    Lucky for me, the original owner was Duke Martin (AKA Hugo Cimelli), my dad's best friend who was was a little Sicilian guy like me, who had small hands, also like me.

Congrats on a wonderful guitar! Is Trenier friends with Roger Borys? They seem to follow the same aesthetic in their guitars.
    Yes - you are so correct about the purpose of these guitars. I know Bryant has spoken to Roger on several occasions about his history with Jimmy.

Thanks for the nice words - it's really a beauty . I believe if we went back in time and was picking up a guitar from John D in 1935- this is the guitar we would have received.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, that's what John D. was making back then, although he kept changing them as time went on.
    I met up with Bucky P. with Roger B. when I was picking up my D'A after Roger did some work on it, and Bucky said he also had a Snakehead that was given to him by George Barnes, but it was made in 1934.
    By comparing serial numbers with Bucky's D'A, I was able to date mine exactly, because John D. kept very sketchy records in his ledger book.
    They had an old D'A that Bucky owned from the 1930s at the Guitar Heroes Exhibition at the Met, but it didn't look anything like our Snakeheads.
    Do you, or anyone else who was at the exhibition, know what model D'A that was?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yes, that's what John D. was making back then, although he kept changing them as time went on.
    I met up with Bucky P. with Roger B. when I was picking up my D'A after Roger did some work on it, and Bucky said he also had a Snakehead that was given to him by George Barnes, but it was made in 1934.
    By comparing serial numbers with Bucky's D'A, I was able to date mine exactly, because John D. kept very sketchy records in his ledger book.
    They had an old D'A that Bucky owned from the 1930s at the Guitar Heroes Exhibition at the Met, but it didn't look anything like our Snakeheads.
    Do you, or anyone else who was at the exhibition, know what model D'A that was?
    I don't know, but around 20 yrs ago I saw Bucky play a solo concert w/that snakehead.
    I remember @ one point he stood up and the stage lights caught the back of the guitar, breathtaking flame!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I don't know, but around 20 yrs ago I saw Bucky play a solo concert w/that snakehead.
    I remember @ one point he stood up and the stage lights caught the back of the guitar, breathtaking flame!
    Wow! I would've liked to have seen that. You don't hear him playing 6 string that much anymore.
    Roger B. said Bucky was playing my guitar at the club where I was picking it up before I got there, and he said the guitar filled the entire club, acoustically!
    Players like Bucky know how to use the pick to get an incredible sound out of guitars like that.

User Info Menu

Steve,

Congrats on your new guitar!

Further evidence that custom lutherie is far from dead, despite rumors of its demise... I hope that it takes you to new places musically. It sounded wonderful in that short video! I have new commission that should be ready in about 6 weeks. Seeing your state of wonder auditioning your Trenier has brought back my excitement (I commissioned mine about 1-1/2 years ago).

Kudos,

Bob
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 04-08-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Steve,

Congrats on your new guitar!

Further evidence that custom lutherie is far from dead, despite rumors of its demise... I hope that it takes you to new places musically. It sounded wonderful in that short video! I have new commission that should be ready in about 6 weeks. Seeing your state of wonder auditioning your Trenier has brought back my excitement (I commissioned mine about 1-1/2 years ago).

Kudos,

Bob
    Bob,
    Thank you ! I've had many excellent custom built guitars made - but this one was just remarkable in every way and vibrated my chest with deep bass and crystal clear thick mids.
    As for the state of custom built guitars - it's certainly different then years past , but the process provides a very exciting unique opportunity with various possibilities.
    I like the Treniers because they are based on the tradition of Jim D'Aquisto and John D'Angelico - and Bryant has refined the build process in an extraordinary way -....truly capturing the essence of what John and Jim were really doing.
    I wish you equal excitement with you upcoming build - and please do share your experience with all of us.

User Info Menu

Steve, you have been graced with an absolutely magnificent instrument. Congratulations, and play it in good health! P.S. And don't forget to eat and sleep once in a while, and stuff. You'll have to keep your strength up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    Bob,
    Thank you ! I've had many excellent custom built guitars made - but this one was just remarkable in every way and vibrated my chest with deep bass and crystal clear thick mids.
    As for the state of custom built guitars - it's certainly different then years past , but the process provides a very exciting unique opportunity with various possibilities.
    I like the Treniers because they are based on the tradition of Jim D'Aquisto and John D'Angelico - and Bryant has refined the build process in an extraordinary way -....truly capturing the essence of what John and Jim were really doing.
    I wish you equal excitement with you upcoming build - and please do share your experience with all of us.
    Will do Steve, it's quite unique acoustic build incorporating some Jimmy D'esque design features and is a bit experimental...

User Info Menu

Steve,
    That is a magnificent looking and sounding guitar. Trenier seems to be at the top of his game in general, but this one appears to be the result of a labor of love. I hope that you are able to enjoy it for many years.

I can't believe that nobody else mentioned the elephant in the room, your exceptional taste in carpet. And that desk, wow! Total win.

Quote Originally Posted by kid335
    Steve,
    That is a magnificent looking and sounding guitar. Trenier seems to be at the top of his game in general, but this one appears to be the result of a labor of love. I hope that you are able to enjoy it for many years.

I can't believe that nobody else mentioned the elephant in the room, your exceptional taste in carpet. And that desk, wow! Total win.
    Kid335,
    Your are so right about this one. I never rushed Bryant on this build and he did pour his heart and soul into this guitar. This is what a true artist can do when not under pressure. To see this in person is just unbelievable. Thanks for the comments on my furnishings.

My wife and I love period furniture and American antiques from late 18th century.

Thanks for your kind words. Bryant is building some of the finest instruments I have ever played.

User Info Menu

Steve, I watched your video.
    You are a VERY tasteful player. You can hear all the years of great playing and sampling fine guitars in those hands.
    You already know I think you are an extraordinary dude, but seeing the youthful exuberance in you with this guitar has really made me a fan of yours. You show that the finer things in life can be appreciated just as a young boy can appreciate his 1st baseball glove. I love it man! Your good friend Jimmy is very proud and I truly believe that he is happy that Bryant is sharing the torch carrying duties along with Cris, John M and M Campellone.
    Did you sleep last night? I wouldn't have.
    Your Friend, Joe D
    PS, Johnny Carson likes the way you play his favorite song..

User Info Menu

Inexpensive woods? The first thing I noticed was the wide grain at the sides and the tight grain in the center. That's how a fine acoustic is made. Perfect shading! How clean,no frills just sound and beauty. Congratulations Steve. You are a lucky man to be able to afford such beauties. P.S. I liked the Excel video just as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Inexpensive woods? The first thing I noticed was the wide grain at the sides and the tight grain in the center. That's how a fine acoustic is made. Perfect shading! How clean,no frills just sound and beauty. Congratulations Steve. You are a lucky man to be able to afford such beauties. P.S. I liked the Excel video just as much.
    Archtop Guy,
    Thank you for noticing the beauty of this guitar. Bryant's point about the ($) woods were you don't need to spend a fortune on wood to make a great guitar.
    Yes- I am a very blessed man and never take it for granted. I've worked very hard for many years - and still do. As the years go by I have learned to appreciate the special moments in life and friendships made along the way. It also helps to have a great wife that supports my hobbies. By the way- she
    Is a master quilter at the highest level.
    Thank you again .

User Info Menu

Joe D,
    I did finally get to sleep and it was very restful knowing that this guitar has it all - nothing to get adjusted or wishing it had a little of this or that - just perfect - which is quite rare.
    I can't wait to meet you and share our passion and have some good cookies.
    Joe,
    Thanks for the kind words. I could barely play on the video - my mind was so busy with excitement and joy over this guitar. My wife has seen a lot of guitars and she flipped over this one.

It's like I bought an 80 year old new DA.
    Steve,
    Having a truss rod and brand new bindings on your guitar must be a treat..
    i will reach out to you offline within the next couple of weeks. I'm almost done getting my house/life back in order.
    I actually cooked dinner for the 1st time in 4 years.. I made stuffed Artichokes, and Escarole and beans.. We had a good day here..
    Once again, your guitar is beautiful. I can't wait to see it.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Steve,
    My friend and teacher Tim Lerch (also a member here) has an early model Trenier oval hole, which sounds fantastic. Your new build caused me to spend some time checking out BT's other instruments and I am very impressed with what I see/hear. Nice to see a young guy carry the tradition. Seems like he may be tomorrow's Buscarino, Ribbecke, etc. When I'm ready for an acoustic archtop, I am pretty sure I know who is getting the call.

Quote Originally Posted by kid335
    Steve,
    My friend and teacher Tim Lerch (also a member here) has an early model Trenier oval hole, which sounds fantastic. Your new build caused me to spend some time checking out BT's other instruments and I am very impressed with what I see/hear. Nice to see a young guy carry the tradition. Seems like he may be tomorrow's Buscarino, Ribbecke, etc. When I'm ready for an acoustic archtop, I am pretty sure I know who is getting the call.
    Kid335,
    Bryant Trenier has long entered that realm of great builders. People who visit his shop in Wesley Hills NY and play his guitars-quickly realize that he is creating some magnificent instruments - and they keep getting better and better.

He has such passion and knowledge about the great guitars of the past - that his focus has been to provide that aged sound experience NOW - and he's doing it.

This Broadway makes my 35 DA snakehead sound thin - and it's one of the best remaining snakeheads I've ever played. It has every bit of that DA tone, but with a richness and warmth that shimmers - and a natural reverb that's extraordinary.

A while back I mentioned to everyone on this forum that if ever they wanted a D'Aquisto or D'Angelico sounding guitar - then Bryant is the man .....and I couldn't be more certain about that opinion.

User Info Menu

A while back I mentioned to everyone on this forum that if ever they wanted a D'Aquisto or D'Angelico sounding guitar - then Bryant is the man .....and I couldn't be more certain about that opinion.
    I prefer to think that Bryant as a developing luthier, is making his own great sounding guitars. They stand on their own merrits. Like many artisans, building upon the work of pioneering luthiers of the past...

User Info Menu

Kid335,
    Bryant Trenier has long entered that realm of great builders. People who visit his shop in Wesley Hills NY and play his guitars-quickly realize that he is creating some magnificent instruments - and they keep getting better and better.

He has such passion and knowledge about the great guitars of the past - that his focus has been to provide that aged sound experience NOW - and he's doing it.

This Broadway makes my 35 DA snakehead sound thin - and it's one of the best remaining snakeheads I've ever played. It has every bit of that DA tone, but with a richness and warmth that shimmers - and a natural reverb that's extraordinary.

Steve,
    Just to be clear, I was not commenting on the quality of his instruments vs. some of the older rank luthiers. Clearly he is there now. I was speaking to current price point vs future price points as his reputation spreads. Seems to me that this is a good time to order a Trenier.

Kid335,
    You are entirely correct. As for boutique builders - I just really like what he is doing. I've had them ALL - and will never disrespect any luthier or builder - because they all have something wonderful to offer. But just love Bryant's direction. If your contemplating a build - I assure you it's a wise decision.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    I prefer to think that Bryant as a developing luthier, is making his own great sounding guitars. They stand on their own merrits. Like many artisans, building upon the work of pioneering luthiers of the past...
    iim7V7IM7,
    Yes- I entirely agree ...and very well said. I just love how he re-creates that John / Jimmy tone.

User Info Menu

I have been a friend of Bryants for almost ten years now and have seen his artistry and skill grow and become more and more refined. He is a brilliant and very dedicated man who has really hit his stride as a builder. I'm very pleased to see some of his recent work in the beautiful photos above and also glad to read the complimentary comments. Its just cool to see a buddy getting the recognition that he deserves.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

tim l's too modest..his lovely trenier

cheers

User Info Menu

Neatomic,
    Tim is too modest. Here is another that he demoed.

User Info Menu

QAman, I had to check out your NGD after your comment on mine. Your Bryant Trenier is STUNNING!!! Pretty much perfect, I'd say.

So, two years down the line, how has it developed? What's your opinion of it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    QAman, I had to check out your NGD after your comment on mine. Your Bryant Trenier is STUNNING!!! Pretty much perfect, I'd say.

So, two years down the line, how has it developed? What's your opinion of it now?
    Rob,
    Thanks for checking out my Trenier Broadway - it’s one of the best guitar builds I’ve had in 38 years of custom orders.
    This guitar was a gem immediately - which has not always been the case with some of my builds. There is a short video on Bryant’s website of me playing the guitar the day I picked it up - but I was emotionally overwhelmed - so the playing is not my best by any means.
    My break-in process involves leaving a new build out on a stand for at least 6 months to let the lacquer cure and I play various chords progressions daily - using a heavy pick - strumming hard to feel the guitar resonate as much as possible. This practice helps to loosen up the top and bring out the sensitivity of the instrument. Jim D’Aquisto gave me this advice in 1990 and I’ve followed it ever since.

After two years , the Broadway is more of a Canon now then the day I picked it up. It sounds like my 35’ D’Angelico snakehead which is off the charts. The biggest improvement was in the sensitivity of the instrument. It’s effortless to play and even the lightest picking touch brings out this harpsichord of pleasure across the fingerboard - it’s just one of those guitars you pick up and say- how is it possible. Mine is parallel braced - loud and warm

My good friend Larry Wexer was over a few months ago . He’s a high end vintage guitar dealer in NYC. When I handed him the Broadway he was just utterly amazed - here is a pic of his expression .

Thanks for asking about the Broadway. Your Elferink is gorgeous - I’m tempered to have Fran’s build me something .