The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Anyone have any experience with the Nanoverb? I had one years ago and can't really remember much about it. I've got one coming to try in the effects loop of my Quilter Mini 101. Loop or 'inline' better?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Anyone have any experience with the Nanoverb? I had one years ago and can't really remember much about it. I've got one coming to try in the effects loop of my Quilter Mini 101. Loop or 'inline' better?
    I have one, though I haven't used it since I don't know when. It's better in a loop, imo.

John

User Info Menu

I have one and love it's sound. It's one of my favorite reverbs and IMO is a versatile tone shaping device as well. The chorus is nice too and some of the other effects, even though it's only one effect at a time. The downside is that it's an awkward half rack size and needs a 9VAC adaptor which is a PITA as it's big and cumbersome. If you're just using it and and amp it's fine, if you have other effects too it's a pain.

User Info Menu

IIRC, in theory, the nanoverb needs a preamp, so "loop better".

User Info Menu

I have always heard that loop is better, but amps without reverb tend not to have loops, so I have run mine in front of the amp. It does not need a preamp; I can turn mine up well past unity gain (ie, it can give you a clean boost). Reverb is kind of power hungry, so running it by AC does not seem to be a real negative (I'm not sure, I am not really a pedals guy as my screen name indicates, but I have the impression that reverb pedals that use batteries run through them fast).

The form size seems right to me; perfect size to stick under the amp to tip it up. I like the two lines in, two lines out, kind of a poor man's mixer/splitter. Having delay and reverb in one pedal seems like a good idea, too. I never use the other effects. A pretty versatile, dependable tool IMHO, especially if you are a set it and forget it player.

User Info Menu

Hi folks, since you're using the nanoverb, I have a question for you. I'm about to purchase a second hand nanoverb 2, but I wonder if the bypass sound is good or not. Did you ever notice some tone suck when the effect is bypassed (apparently there's a footswitchable bypass, which, as far as I understand, is not a true bypass - it's a buffered bypass if I'm not wrong)?

I ask the question because the seller lives hundreds of miles away so I can't give a try.

I really like the tone on all the demos I've been able to find online, and apparently Jonathan Kreisberg uses one (maybe an earlier version), but I have no means to judge the tone in bypass mode.

If I have to use the nanoverb with a bypass loop, it could possibly be a deal breaker for me - I don't intend to complicate my guitar gear's cabling too much... Then I could go for a TC hall of fame, which is true bypass. Had you any opportunity to compare the nanoverb with it?

User Info Menu

The reason for the need of a preamp is not lack of gain but rather the input is not ready for high impedance, I believe. So, if you're not using other pedals before it it's better to use the loop or you might (or might not) have "tone suck".

I never tried one but modern reverb pedals are so cheap and in theory should have much improved algorithms, giving how old the nanoverb already is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fabyoda
    Hi folks, since you're using the nanoverb, I have a question for you. I'm about to purchase a second hand nanoverb 2, but I wonder if the bypass sound is good or not. Did you ever notice some tone suck when the effect is bypassed (apparently there's a footswitchable bypass, which, as far as I understand, is not a true bypass - it's a buffered bypass if I'm not wrong)?

I ask the question because the seller lives hundreds of miles away so I can't give a try.

I really like the tone on all the demos I've been able to find online, and apparently Jonathan Kreisberg uses one (maybe an earlier version), but I have no means to judge the tone in bypass mode.

If I have to use the nanoverb with a bypass loop, it could possibly be a deal breaker for me - I don't intend to complicate my guitar gear's cabling too much... Then I could go for a TC hall of fame, which is true bypass. Had you any opportunity to compare the nanoverb with it?
    generally reverb is left on all the time, so 'tone suck' isn't really an issue as its only relevant when the pedal is not on. I haven't A/B'd it off and on. Anyway I would imagine the buffer would be of good quality, not like those old Boss pedals... If it's a good deal I would get it, if it's a concern go for a TC hof mini or even better an earthquaker dispatch master.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by s1track3d
    generally reverb is left on all the time, so 'tone suck' isn't really an issue as its only relevant when the pedal is not on. I haven't A/B'd it off and on. Anyway I would imagine the buffer would be of good quality, not like those old Boss pedals... If it's a good deal I would get it, if it's a concern go for a TC hof mini or even better an earthquaker dispatch master.
    The problem is not the quality of the buffer or the pedal being on or off (I don't think the nanoverb is even true bypass so that is not even relevant). It's the impedance mismatch of plugging a high impedance output (guitar's pickup) to a low impedance input (nanoverb), which can cause "tone suck" with the pedal on. It's a different "tone stuck" from having too many cable going on (this is too many true bypass pedals off).
    Last edited by jorgemg1984; 04-06-2016 at 11:03 AM.

User Info Menu

My experience was that with some combinations of pickups and amps it could be tricky to get the gain-staging (it has input and output gain) and clean/wet mix right with the Nanoverb in-line. The virtue of most reverb pedals is that they don't have gain knobs and are designed only to see guitar pick-up impedences at the input and amps at the output. They neither add nor subtract level, and all you have to worry about is mix and the actual reverb patch. That said, I think it's a really good sounding reverb, but I gave up on using it in front of an amp and just used it in my recording rig (I do all my recording inside the computer now, so I haven't touched the NanoVerb in ages).

John

User Info Menu

OK gents, I appreciate your valuable contributions, thank you for that. I've also just found a review which concludes that the nanoverb 2 is worse than the earlier version from the nineties (the reviewer didn't like that there were no more real pots, but digital selectors instead, which cut the sound while you're tweaking - even the mix pot). I think i'm gonna stay on the safe side and invest on a modern, guitar-specific stompbox rather than this general purpose effect unit. I really lean towards the HOF, the hall mode sounds fine as far as I can judge and beyond this, there are the toneprints.

User Info Menu

The HOF is a great pedal if you don't need a good spring reverb.

User Info Menu

Indeed, I don't need spring reverb - all my amps already have this . I had noticed the HOF spring reverb was not convincing.

User Info Menu

It's not, but all the other reverbs are excellent, you will like it!

User Info Menu

Resurrecting an old thread... I just got a good price on a TC HoF 2 and I'm amazed! The spring reverb was supposedly the worst pedal's option,but I happen to like it a lot, even more than my HRDx George Benson reverb.
    Well, I bought the pedal essentially for the hall model, but I happily found that I really like at least 4 presets so far (hall, spring, plate, church). So many options and so much transparency, they did their homework at TC.

User Info Menu

Cool! My point was not that the Spring reverb was bad (it's a nice reverb), just not very realistic if you want to compare it to a real spring reverb. Enjoy the pedal!

User Info Menu

HoF is a great reverb. Yep, "Spring" sounds nothing like a spring reverb. BUT, it's the best thing about the HoF. "Spring" sounds bloody great on that pedal. I use it a lot on my amps that don't have reverb.

Never thought I would, but I do.

User Info Menu

i 've had all the alesis reverbs, i thought the lexicons were seriously better sounding. Even the lexicon-based hardwire reverb pedal sounded much better. Maybe its the superior technology these days?

User Info Menu

Alter is probably correct. In the day, I was impressed with Alesis. Today, even stompbox pedals sound impressive in comparison to the old Alesis rack stuff. Time marches on.

Only the Fender spring reverb unit and the Peavey ValVerb still hold there own as serious reverb units. But, they were never competing with the digital stuff. They were and remain great analog devices.