The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

G'day folks

Wondering what experience you've had with the Selmer style guitars coming out of China.

I've played a Gitane D-500 and it was a good sounding guitar, wondering if some of the other options around this price point are an improvement?

Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had a Cigano (little soundhole, used) and got bored (weak sound),quite fast, then tried a Gitane but found the neck a bit too flat (pain when comping), bought last year a used Paris Swing (discontinued) with a bigger neck (a bit square, but easily became accustomed to it) and a bigger sound than the two other I had or tried; this guitar seems to be made with the same specs as China made Dell Arte (US brand, sells too good and expensive Selmer copies, made in USA),
    I'm quite satisfied, good quality for the price (used, excellent condition: 450€ with a solid case), hope this can help

cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouieKing
    G'day folks

Wondering what experience you've had with the Selmer style guitars coming out of China.

I've played a Gitane D-500 and it was a good sounding guitar, wondering if some of the other options around this price point are an improvement?

Cheers!
    Easy answer. Altamira is the best bang for your buck Asian made GJ guitar right now. This is the one I have: Altamira M01 - DjangoBooks.com

I am selling it as I want to save for a European guitar, but this guitar is a beast.

User Info Menu

I had a cigano gj15 that was phenomenal. Maybe I had a great one, but it was a canon.

User Info Menu

Altamira

User Info Menu

+1 on Altamira.

User Info Menu

Love my altamira mo1D. Play it daily.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried any of the Altamira's, but I know a couple of guys who have the Paris Swing GG-42 and it's a good guitar, better than most of the Gitane's I've tried.

Cheers guys! Apparently Altamira are going to be stocking guitars in Australia soon so I'll try and get my hands on one to try.

User Info Menu

My understanding is the Altamira and Chinese built Dell Arte' guitars are built in the same shop. The Dell Arte is labeled Latcho Drom and I have the Djangology model. I upgraded from a Gitane, and it was a very noticeable and worthwhile upgrade. Fit and finish are very good plus, and I am happy with the bark. Mine has a Bigtone installed, which I use occasionally. I gig out with a violinist at a Basque Social club and use the Bigtone and Shertler Unico on that venue. It's a loud crowd. The set up works well. Someday a Dupont is on my bucket list, however I pretty much cleaned out the kitty obtaining my Bob built Benedetto Cremona-no regrets there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouieKing
    G'day folks

Cheers!
    I own a Gitane D250-M and I think it sounds and plays wonderfully. The neck is quite shallow and the fingerboard is relatively wide. I'm not sure if the D-500 has a neck profile. I will say that there is a notable difference in tone between the oval and D hole guitars and I'd like to suggest you should consider finding an oval hole to see which you'd prefer. I think the value for me was unbeatable because I got the guitar at about half the price that Django Books sells them for.

User Info Menu

Altamira. I have one in mahogany and a friend has a higher model in rosewood. The rosewood with the bigger neck is a beast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    My understanding is the Altamira and Chinese built Dell Arte' guitars are built in the same shop. The Dell Arte is labeled Latcho Drom and I have the Djangology model.
    I've heard that, but I've also heard the necks are very different.

A friend had a Latcho Drom Djangology for a while...it was the loudest damn thing on the planet. He upgraded to a lutheir guitar, but I kinda miss the unrefined bark of the Djangology...can't help but think it was built more like an actual Selmer...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've heard that, but I've also heard the necks are very different.

A friend had a Latcho Drom Djangology for a while...it was the loudest damn thing on the planet. He upgraded to a lutheir guitar, but I kinda miss the unrefined bark of the Djangology...can't help but think it was built more like an actual Selmer...
    My understanding is that the Latcho Drom guitars had a very square neck profile. The Altamira is more of a soft C profile, which is incredibly comfortable.

User Info Menu

I have a John Jorgenson Gitane DG-300 and it has a squarish neck profile.

User Info Menu

Yes, correct I have played both back to back and the Latcho has what I would call a "Old School" neck profile, while the Altamira has a more "modern" shape. Different strokes, I preferred the squarish flat neck on the Lacho it was more like a classical neck which is what I grew up with.
    Regarding the tone, yes Mr. B, my LDD is over the top loud. I played a solo gig with it in a 35' by 50' room two weeks ago, about 70 souls. I played acoustically, no amp. Later I quizzed some folks that were in the back of the room and they commented they heard everything clearly. However, it was a fairly quiet crowd.
    I am happy with the instrument and would recommend it highly.

User Info Menu

I have an Altamira I'm considering selling or trading if anyone is interested (US)

User Info Menu

which model? could you include some pics?

thanks

User Info Menu

This one: Altamira M01 Antique - DjangoBooks.com

Will try to take pictures when I can