The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 179

User Info Menu

Looks worse on my actual 1959 Dangelico but these reissues are getting scarily close

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can't understand how such poor and inconsistent tuner alignment can occur?! Wouldn't they have templates and jigs for making proper alignment a trivial pursuit?

That's some really lame quality control. What else may be out of whack, if they allow that sloppiness out of the factory?

User Info Menu

Not only are the OP's tuners at the wrong angles, but in the top photo (unless the headstock is rotated more than it appears to be), they also appear to be asymmetrically spaced in from the edges of the headstock.

User Info Menu

All this dilemma is because of the way the headstock flares out at the upper tuner area. It's a gorgeous design - but LOOK carefully, the tuner button has to clear the edge of the headstock. It has to or you'd have a bear of a time using them and those stair step tuner shapes confound the issue even more. Beauty in design does not always translated to ease of construction or use. Look at a gull wing Mercedes coupe.

Big

User Info Menu

Ok, here is my pic..

Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images D'Angelico EXL-1-exl-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

I found a pic on line of an original D'A, which looked about the same, meaning the tuners weren't symmetrical.

User Info Menu

Is this only an issue with the S serial numbers guitars? I got an Exl-1 from the GC sale (paid $527 for an open box!) and the tuners are perfectly aligned. Mine is a US serial number though. I must say, stunning guitar and beautiful tones. I couldn't be happier.

User Info Menu

Several months ago (well before the GC blowout) I ordered an EXL-1 from GC. It arrived with the bridge cranked up to maximum extension. Fearing a sunken top, I sent it back. The next one showed up with a 1-inch jagged gouge in the fingerboard binding. I returned it for a refund.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neilshane
    Is this only an issue with the S serial numbers guitars?
    Good question. I played two guitars in the local GC, one had a US and one had an S serial number. I never paid attention to the tuner locations. My guitar in the first post has an S serial number, and as you pointed out, all of the other pictures in this thread of guitars that kattywampus tuners also have "S" serial numbers.

I'd like to see everyone who bought one of these at the sale post photos of their headstocks, regardless of whether or not they have funky tuners or perfect tuners. We need to see BOTH to get to the bottom of this.

Most people seem to think that if they have normal tuners then they shouldn't post a photo. That hides some very important data from review. If the people with normal tuners don't chime in then we'll never get all of the information needed to come to the right answer.

Related Question: Does anyone have a clue what the "S" and "US" designations mean?

User Info Menu

I have a US serial number with even tuners. They are aligned horizontally - as in, they did not attempt to follow the contour of the headstock.

User Info Menu

Black D'angelico exl 1 premier came today. I love it. Got it for such a steal too! £358. Brand new and everything!

Rushed photos but I'm in love.

D'Angelico EXL-1-img_20181113_145440-jpgD'Angelico EXL-1-img_20181113_145426-jpgD'Angelico EXL-1-img_20181113_145418-jpgD'Angelico EXL-1-img_20181113_145353-jpg

User Info Menu

The black/chrome look is really sharp looking! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Hi don_oz.

Congratulations! I bought exactly the same guitar last Friday and it was set-up yesterday. Immediately had the roundwound strings replaced by Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing JS112 flatwounds which are great to me. First impressions are good and I think that the black colour fits the instrument well. Hope to hear from your comments after you will have played it for a while.

Regards,
    James, Italy

User Info Menu

Hi James,

Congratulations to you too. I agree that the Black is very elegant on this guitar. But I also managed to try the Wine red version in person and that too was nice. I preferred the black.

The guitar plays great. I love the medium jumbo frets. First time I'm playing frets like that. The neck feels nice. It has a nice acoustic sound but it needs to open up. It needs to be played in more, like the neck. Im not a big fan of necks when they have that brand new feeling. I prefer the feeling of when it's been played more.

I like the roundwound strings they put on. My D'angelico needs a set up definitely. I lowered the action little bit, it was quite high, still is a bit high but better than out of the box. I play 0.11s so once I take it in for a set up I'll get the guage changed to 0.11s.

I have been playing it acoustically since I bought it. I haven't plugged it in yet. It's got quite a bit of sustain in my opinion and the notes have a nice quality when played. It will sound better the more it's played. I have a custom Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian floating humbucker which I intend to switch for the Kent Armstrong pickup it came with. I might also change the pots and capacitors too. But I will have to plug it in and play with it more to see about the pots and capacitors.

But this is my first top quality guitar. Even though the price was such a steal. D'angelico make top quality instruments. I'm very glad with my purchase.
    Last edited by don_oz; 11-18-2018 at 07:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi don_oz.

Thanks for your quick reaction. I paid € 398,00 for the guitar, so more or less the same as the price for yours.
    I must admit that first I was preferring the Wine coloured version, which however here in Italy would be hard to find, not to say not available anymore. But when I had a good look at the glossy black, I changed my mind.

One thing surprises me in your comment: you speak about a mounted Kent Armstrong pick-up.
    My guitar features (at least that's what they told me and what was written in the internet reviews) a D'Angelico mini-humbucker. I thought the Kent Armstrong was only on the De Luxe version of the EXL-1. Nevertheless I read in a forum that someone replaced the mounted pick up by a Benedetto one, which was satisfying.
    Anyway: first see how this one goes, without changing just "for the changing". Happy playing!

User Info Menu

What exactly is different about the Premier version? I notice that the standard EXL-1 now has a Seymour Duncan pickup, which is a big improvement from the factory KA it used to come with. Is the Premier now just the previous version with the KA?

User Info Menu

El Fundo:

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Different compared to what?
    Anyway: as far as I know don_oz's guitar and mine are both the standard version, so not the DeLuxe Excel model. They are exactly the same, only don's seems to be delivered with the KA pick-up, as he posted, and mine has the D'Angelico mini-humbucker.
    I don't know what's the reason for this difference, neither do I know if - and then on which version - a Semour Duncan is featured. I didn't hear about that. I'm sorry, maybe Don knows. Regards.

User Info Menu

Hi Don.

I admire your patience to wait so long before plugging the guitar in and for now just playing it accoustically (kidding of course). I couldn't wait not even one hour but I had to, because the instrument had to be set-up well. I have an excellent luthier here in Verona and fortunately I could take it from the shop straight to him and the next day it was ready. During the trial I also noticed, that the neck seemed not to play that nice. I was convinced that after lowering the action as much as would be possible and with the flatwounds it would be ok, and it is. After two days I feel a bit more comfortable with the guitar and though it seems a little bit harder to play compared to my Ibanez AK95 which plays very smooth, the feeling is ok. Especially on the higher frets I like this one more and also the 17" body is great.
    It will be a very nice neck after playing a while.

Thanks for your comments and first experiences.
    James

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Fundo
    What exactly is different about the Premier version? I notice that the standard EXL-1 now has a Seymour Duncan pickup, which is a big improvement from the factory KA it used to come with. Is the Premier now just the previous version with the KA?
    I "think" you mean the differences between the "Premier" and "Excel" models?

I've looked at the Premier and Excel models and the EXL-1 differences are respectively:

Indonesia / Korea manufacturing location
    chrome / gold tone hardware
    paint / natural and burst finishes
    Rosewood / Pau Ferro (rosewood FB's on older Excel models)
    Unknown pup maker / SD Johnny smith pup
    1 ply / 3 ply binding
    Gig bag / Hard shell case
    Pearloid / MOP markers
    PPS (?) / bone nut
    black / tortoise pickguard

Of course price with the Excel model costing a few hundred bucks more. I've only bought the Excel models so far because I like the bling :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks Gary. That’s exactly what I meant. Sorry for the wording; DA’s website doesn’t really make clear what the differences are, although the different finishes should have given me a clue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James655
    Hi Don.

I admire your patience to wait so long before plugging the guitar in and for now just playing it accoustically (kidding of course). I couldn't wait not even one hour but I had to, because the instrument had to be set-up well. I have an excellent luthier here in Verona and fortunately I could take it from the shop straight to him and the next day it was ready. During the trial I also noticed, that the neck seemed not to play that nice. I was convinced that after lowering the action as much as would be possible and with the flatwounds it would be ok, and it is. After two days I feel a bit more comfortable with the guitar and though it seems a little bit harder to play compared to my Ibanez AK95 which plays very smooth, the feeling is ok. Especially on the higher frets I like this one more and also the 17" body is great.
    It will be a very nice neck after playing a while.

Thanks for your comments and first experiences.
    James
    I played with it plugged in today. I liked the pick up. It had a balanced sound but I think the pots and capacitors could do with an upgrade. I'll play with the pickup more but I do love my vintage vibe floating mini humbucker, and I can't wait to hear it. But I won't change it until I take it in for a set up when I think I've used the strings enough.

User Info Menu

The trim and hardware on that guitar in either silver or gold just exudes class and says "jazz guitar." Great looking guitar, and the one I tried out was a good player as well. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

I know I'm late to the party but I'm looking into one of these. Can you tell me, are all the electronics mounted to the pickguard or is the floating pickup mounted at the neck? Thanks and I hope you're enjoying your guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tehzim
    I know I'm late to the party but I'm looking into one of these. Can you tell me, are all the electronics mounted to the pickguard or is the floating pickup mounted at the neck? Thanks and I hope you're enjoying your guitar.
    It's all on the pickguard!

User Info Menu

Hi Tehzim.

Happy to see that don-oz already answered to your question.

If you like you can take a look at the review MusicRadar wrote about the EXL-1, although I think it is merely regarding the Excel version, so the more luxury version. The electronic-item is nevertheless the same for both versions.
    Here's the link and I hope you will consider this guitar:

D'Angelico EXL-1 review | MusicRadar

James