The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 179

User Info Menu

He did it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I watched the video. It looks like a nice and well made guitar. He didn't say if it was a solid top or not. I've been wondering how good these new D'Angelicos are. It's sad to see such a storied name being diluted with all the other guitars they're selling at Guitar Center and Musician's Friend. I'd love to hear everybody's opinions about them who own and/or have played them. Have these high end models captured some of the greatness of the originals, or are they just one more Asian guitar along the lines of low end Ibanez or Epiphone guitars?

User Info Menu

I think they are good guitars for the money. People of limited means who actually play jazz and not just buy guitars can appreciate them as viable tools until they graduate onto something better. Tbh there’s no point having a high end guitar until you know what you want.

Storied name etc? Well, I’d rather they were making decent guitars in the hands of people who play music. I know a few young cats who play them in style.

that youtube bloke seems like nice fella. Tbh most YT gear videos are pretty cringe.

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of his style of playing but he can play his instrument. Does he play anything remotely jazz. No has far as I know but I have checked out his trem reviews and found them useful. That said, I do not subscribe to his channel but he does attempt to be fair, provides a pretty decent review of the guitars he is reviewing and is willing to try new and different things. The only "toxicity" in this thread is generated by the participants.

User Info Menu

As a demonstration videos go that one was better than most. He at least played the guitar clean in a straightforward fashion, rather than showing off his chops through a bunch of distortion or effects pedals or anything like that. Something I appreciate.

As for the instruments themselves, they are really pretty generic Asian instruments but generally well-made, at least the ones I've been able to play. A couple of them have played well and sounded very good indeed (Vestax ones, I think). One problem is that the D'Angelico name has been used by multiple companies over the last 20 years; The quality and the tone has varied somewhat with those changes. There are, for example, some that were made by very high-level craftsman and come much closer to the originals than the made-in-Asia ones that you normally find.

I will be honest and say that I find the blueburst semihollow ones downright offensive, but I may be just being overly sensitive and defensive. I will come straight out and say that I believe the only guitars that should carry the D'Angelico name should be those that were made in his shop by him or under his direct supervision. Orville Gibson and Leo Fender set their companies up for mass production and to continue after they were gone. JD did not, as far as I can tell anyway, do so.

User Info Menu

So I actually did finally find a spot where he was playing...the guitar sounds really good, and sure looks great. I think D'Angelico probably has another affordable winner here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    So I actually did finally find a spot where he was playing...the guitar sounds really good, and sure looks great. I think D'Angelico probably has another affordable winner here.
    I haven't tried the "throwaback" version yet, but it appears to be the same spec as the "Deluxe", but with different shaped f-holes and cosmetics. Over the years I've played a few of the regular Excel EXL-1's and thought they were pretty nice, but basically in the same ballpark as a lot of other archtops in in that $800-$1500 range. But the "Deluxe" I tried recently was really nice. The unplugged sound was big (appreciably louder than a Kingpin), and the Duncan pickups sound better than the Kent Armstrongs the Excels came with when I tried them. The Deluxes I've seen in stores were in these weird pastel satin finishes, with the giant headstock, which is pretty Edsel IMO. Same thing in a subtler package is much more appealing. [The Deluxes are now being blown out super cheap in a few places, btw]. Unfortunately, sound and neck aside, every time I try one of these it just confirms how uncomfortable I find 17" guitars.

John

User Info Menu

I did confirm from the D'Angelico website that the top is laminate, not solid. I guess that's to be expected, but no way I'd pay full asking price for one. A blowout deal or a used one, maybe.

User Info Menu

As a beginning jazz player I love my Excel SS with trapeze tail. It has more (or similar) sustain as my Eastman SB59, still has a bit of air because of the semi-hollow (and the hollowed block), feels perfect in the hand, gives better fret acces than my Eastman T64, plays comfortable seated and standing, gives me a dark jazz tone on the neck in hum bucking position, but a more funky tone in split coil position and the over the top gold looks are compensated by its blow out price.

I play it every day. I also tried a deluxe, but the neck was too fat and I didn't like the 6-way selector.

BTW: the 'SS' word is not the smartest abbreviation here in Europe...

User Info Menu

I’ve only seen one reference to EXL-1 shipped strings here....D’Addario EJ-21’s...can’t find that info on the DA website...what preferences do you folks have?

I’m thinking half rounds, but I’d like a set with a wound G...I’m getting my EXL-1 (Korea) set up because as I was retuning the guitar, the tailpiece exploded.

I haven’t seen any tailpiece comments here, although DA has a FAQ about broken tailpieces. BTW, they were great and sent me a replacement right away.

I’d appreciate comments on string preferences. D’Addario has a set of HR 11’s and 12’s....only the 12’s come with a wound G.

Enclosing pic of the tailpiece episode

Phil

D'Angelico EXL-1-48130bbf-790a-42cb-9223-5edd0c995c16-jpg

User Info Menu

I used to have an Exl-1 and have a funny story about the tailpiece. One day I opened the case and all the strings were detuned. I thought the workers who were doing remodeling at the time were playing a practical joke. I tuned it back up and it seemed okay. About a week later I opened it up again and the tailpiece was broken at the hinge where it meets the body, as in your photos. D'Angelico was good about sending a replacement right away at no charge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    I didn't like the Kent Armstrong pickup either.
    Was it a KA made in Asia or one of his hand made pickups? I've read that there is a world of difference between the two.

The hand made pickups (by Seymour Duncan) are here:

Benedetto Pickups - DjangoBooks.com

Hope that helps.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 06-06-2020 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    I didn't like the Kent Armstrong pickup either.
    Was it a KA made in Asia or one of his hand made pickups? I've read that there is a world of difference between the two.

I didn't like the Asian made KA pickup. They are installed in many import guitars like Eastman. I think the guitar would get a fatter tone if it had a good quality built in pickup instead of a floating pickup. I get an acceptable tone from the same pickup in my D'Angelico Style B, but they are built differently.

Mine the thinner Korean 2 pickup single cut was a poor quality instrument. Even top notch replacement pickups did not help. I traded for a 1976 Ibanez L5 copy!!

User Info Menu

Got a sweet deal on this mint EXL-1 w case. It looks unplayed...the foam was still under the bridge. The seller got it on a whim and decided he was more of an LP guy so this one just sat in its case, according to him. Fit and finish is quite good. The neck feels great and I love the 25.5 and 1 11/16 dimensions. The string spacing is nice and open and lends itself very well to fingerstyle. It’s strung with Chrome 11’s, which I use often and so far I really, really like the feel and appearance.

The amplified sound is pretty “meh”. Pretty good definition and bellish tone but not much character. Before I got it, I was ooking at a Biltoff CC floater and that’s probably in my near future. The little cheap knobs are dinky feeling and don’t inspire a lot of confidence. New pots may help their feel. However, it’s a thing of beauty and feels wonderful to play. I’m surprised at the comfort since I’ve been spending so much time with my Tele, lately. I figured a big 17” box would throw me out of whack but it took no time to get cozy with the dimensions. So, I think with a better pup it should be terrific. Back to playing it some more?
    . D'Angelico EXL-1-b7a5ed34-a2b7-4928-835b-3ddea58f1e77-jpg

User Info Menu

You like it and it looks fine. I am sure the pickup change is easy and you can experiment, play the guitar and enjoy. These are fine and a perfect example of how nice guitars can be found without spending fortunes. Play it on the back porch, in a crowded gig environment, and generally take it anyone. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Whatever these frets are, I wanna use the same ones for my 345. This neck is really, really good.

User Info Menu

I have a Biltoft CC floater and it is really an excellent pick up. Pete made it to the physical specifications I needed for it to fit my guitar properly and was really easy to work with, fast turnaround and he seems to have a pretty good understanding of how to translate what you tell him in terms of the desired sound into reality.

User Info Menu

I’ve read that Pete is very accommodating to customer requests. I need to read up a little more on what specifics to ask for. A KA 12 pole or Pete’s CC are my two main options, at the moment. Two very differently voiced pickups, I know. I’ve just been really intrigued by the CC pups I’ve heard on videos and have never used one.

User Info Menu

D'Angelico EXL-1-70c9ad85-6d73-49e8-acee-1867681c86d6-jpeg

This looks very cool, to me. Lollar P90 w Gibson pickguard. Would love to hear it.

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed the re-issue DeArmond rhythm Chief 1000 on my EXL-1 (and also on a Style B)

great pickup with a lot of character for those earlier jazz tones

User Info Menu

Really pretty guitar, and a great platform for upgrades. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Nice looking guitar. And one that you can take places and enjoy without special insurance. Or do a pup swap without shaking historians. I've had an Excel SS for awhile and it's been a wonderful guitar. Only thing I don't like is that I can't use a slippery strap with it because of the headstock. Good score.

User Info Menu

I saw that guitar posted for sale and thought it was a steal as well. Glad you picked it up.

As much as floating pickups sound good, that guitar posted with the P-90 looks incredible! And likely sounds great as well. If it was me, I’d drop a P-90 or a routed CC into the guitar.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Really nice seller. I thought it was too good to pass up.

That P90 EXL looks amazing, doesn’t it?! Man, I couldn’t find anything about a Lollar floater P90 so it may be attached another way or routed to fit. It was a Reverb sale so not a lot of info.