Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Dear fellow jazz guitarists,

Just found this picture in the liner notes of a Red Norvo album featuring Tal Farlow.

Young Tal Farlow with a ES 150 Charlie Christian like guitar-booklet3-jpg

His guitar is equipped with a CC pick up (see the screws). It looks like a prewar ES 150, but the fingerboard inlays are unusual for this model (blocks instead of dots).

Has anyone ever seen this type of model ? This seems to be another proof that Gibson production process generated a lot of variations during these early years for electric archtops.

Thanks and cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images Young Tal Farlow with a ES 150 Charlie Christian like guitar-booklet3-jpg Young Tal Farlow with a ES 150 Charlie Christian like guitar-booklet3-jpg 
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 03-22-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ES-250 w/open book inlays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Like this?

Featured Inventory Archives 1999-2012 | Gruhn Guitars

User Info Menu

yessir

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    That's brillant ! Of course I know this model, but the guitar looks more like a 16'' wide model in Tal's hands, not 17'' like the ES 250. Until I've realized its Tal Farlow playing and that it is certainly 17'' wide. Tal was tall, that's the trick.

Thanks
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 03-22-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

User Info Menu

Yep. It looks like young Tal was using an ES-250, just like his hero, Charlie Christian--who moved up to the 250 as soon as it came out.

User Info Menu

Something else you might notice, Tal's Es 250 was the guitar that he famously had the neck shortened, and the fingerboard replaced to give him extra frets clear of the body. The point of interest being that he also had the headstock re-shaped as well. The original Gibson ES-250 headstock is a most distinctive design.

Compared with the re-shaped head,

User Info Menu

edit: Answer above was faster and more informative
    Last edited by vinlander; 03-22-2016 at 12:41 PM.

User Info Menu

knew about the neck shortening and new board.
    always thought the headstock looked odd as it's bound, and early 250's w/stairstep headstock were unbound.
    but it has binding in both pics pubylakeg posted.

User Info Menu

I like the tone of the 250 in "Darn That Dream." Presumably, it's a Gibson amp, too.

User Info Menu

The cutest guitar.

User Info Menu

From the photos in the Tal Farlow bio that came out a couple years ago, the neck was not actually shortened. The fingerboard was replaced with a shorter scale (by the distance from the nut to the 1st fret) one. The bridge was moved up accordingly. This put the body at the 16th fret instead of the 14th.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Some other ES-250 players,

Herb Ellis, Carl Kress, T'Bone Walker had 2 of them, also Jack Hotop of the Joe Mooney quartet

User Info Menu

You can see Tal playing that guitar here:

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Cunamara is correct. I remember from reading, too, that Farlow changed the scale of his guitar by swapping fretboards and losing the first fret, adding the distance at the other end. This changed the fret/body joint to the 16th fret from the 14th fret. With Farlow's large hands this system gave him access to unbelievable intervals on the fretboard.

This would be easily playable by Farlow on his ES-250:
    Young Tal Farlow with a ES 150 Charlie Christian like guitar-farlow-chord-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post

It doesn't look like Tal's guitar is plugged in.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

T-Bone Walker did not have two ES-250s. The second picture shows T-Bone with a L7 (a later model) or a ES-300 with a Charlie Christian pickup. As most of you know the ES-250 was only made for 2 years and never had split parallelogram inlay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Bill View Post
    T-Bone Walker did not have two ES-250s. The second picture shows T-Bone with a L7 (a later model) or a ES-300 with a Charlie Christian pickup. As most of you know the ES-250 was only made for 2 years and never had split parallelogram inlay.
    it's true that the 250's official original run was about 12 months or so, late '39-late '40, but there were leftover bodies paired w/newer L-7 type necks sold after the war. I've seen several, including one @ Gruhn's a few yrs ago, though that one had a P-90.
    the guitar T-Bone is playing in the second pic is a circa 1947 model as it has the slanted script logo and period tuners.
    but if you look carefully you'll also see it has a 250 pickup w/individual blades and a multi bound guard, something the L-7 and ES-300 did not have.
    I don't know if it's a real '250' or custom guitar but I think it's open to debate.

User Info Menu

Young Tal Farlow with a ES 150 Charlie Christian like guitar-24672517_1_l-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    It doesn't look like Tal's guitar is plugged in.
    Well, the movies and playback... Also the drummer jumps to dance in about 2:33 and You still hear the rhythm, the snare crescendos and all.

Nice to see a bongo quartet with Ann Miller! I have always admired the Elvis's bongo patrol in Viva Las Vegas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post

Who's looking at Tal playing guitar? Those legs, man. It may be 2016 but those 1951 legs still give me a heart attack.