The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 355

User Info Menu

I own a Gibson ES-335, a Tele, and a Strat, but for jazz, I prefer my Eastman Hollowbody. It has a very warm sound, with great acoustic overtones.
    Perfect Jazz Guitar?-img_20191213_161709-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I heard a Godin A6 on YouTube. On its humbucker it had a great woody sound. But it takes forever getting through all the mansplaining and open G chords to find some one playing decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I don't recall many players who got an L-5 and then moved on to something else.

The exception was, back in the day, guys who got an original D'Angelico. But, an original D'Angelico is simply too valuable to take to gigs, so I'm going to eliminate it as the perfect jazz guitar. That's arbitary, of course.

So, there's an argument that the L-5 is the perfect jazz guitar -- because after a player gets one, he's more likely to stick with it than any other guitar. That's in my experience, thinking about players I've known.

That said, the L-5 feels too big to me and I've never wanted one. I've never played a perfect jazz guitar. There's always something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

The exception was, back in the day, guys who got an original D'Angelico. But, an original D'Angelico is simply too valuable to take to gigs, so I'm going to eliminate it as the perfect jazz guitar. That's arbitary, of course.

So, there's an argument that the L-5 is the perfect jazz guitar -- because after a player gets one, he's more likely to stick with it than any other guitar. That's in my experience, thinking about players I've known.

That said, the L-5 feels too big to me and I've never wanted one. I've never played a perfect jazz guitar. There's always something.
    I have taken all three of my original D'Angelicos to gigs. What good is having a great guitar and gigs and being unwilling to use them together? Value? That is why having an insurance policy (which BTW is tax deductable) is important. As my DA's are all non-cut, they are not the "perfect" jazz guitar for me but I dig them nonetheless and enjoy being the caretaker of such fine instruments.

I also have two L-5's and three ES-175's. I go back and forth between those models as the perfect jazz guitar. For me that is. I think each player needs to figure out what works for them and inspires their playing.

User Info Menu

It's hard to argue against the L5 being close to the platonic ideal of the jazz guitar, in its various incarnations.

But given how many varieties of jazz exist, and at various volumes, different players will have their idea of "perfect". I've owned many carved archtops including Guild X-700, Guild/Benedetto Artist Award, Gibson L5CT, Gibson L5 Signature, Heritage Eagle Custom, and I've sold all but one, and that is probably going soon, too. I seem to prefer the sound of laminate hollowbodies and semi-hollows for the music I play, so something like the ES-275 or other laminated, thin, hollowbodies are very close to ideal for me.

The sound of the Guild/Benedetto Artist Award was unreal unplugged or at low to medium amplified volumes. The only better acoustic archtop I've played was 30's L5 that was an orchestra, sound of angels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    It's hard to argue against the L5 being close to the platonic ideal of the jazz guitar, in its various incarnations.

But given how many varieties of jazz exist, and at various volumes, different players will have their idea of "perfect". I've owned many carved archtops including Guild X-700, Guild/Benedetto Artist Award, Gibson L5CT, Gibson L5 Signature, Heritage Eagle Custom, and I've sold all but one, and that is probably going soon, too. I seem to prefer the sound of laminate hollowbodies and semi-hollows for the music I play, so something like the ES-275 or other laminated, thin, hollowbodies are very close to ideal for me.

The sound of the Guild/Benedetto Artist Award was unreal unplugged or at low to medium amplified volumes. The only better acoustic archtop I've played was 30's L5 that was an orchestra, sound of angels.
    The best unamplified sound I ever heard from an archtop was a late 30's L5. And, that includes a bunch of D'Angelicos and other L5s.

User Info Menu

My Blonde L5Ces Crimson Custom Shop. + Black L5 Wesmo Crimson Custom were undoubtedly
    the very best I have had, both acquired new, and tried before bought. The Tal Farlow and
    Byrdland ditto, I am putting my money on a superb Campellone currently undergoing it's
    final stages of build being the top of the pile.
    Very sad to hear that Jumpnblues (post 255) had a duff 90's L5CES, Gibson had poor QC in
    that era. The Crimson Custom shop generally produced better QC instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

Can I suggest alternatives? The Gibson Lee Ritenour is smaller than an L5CES, the L5CT is similar to an L5CES except the body depth is
    shallower, but still produces the L5 "sound", also the Collings LC eastside .lightweight, one CC/ HB pickup ,Ibanez GB10 and numerous
    others. The ultimate , one might consider is a Campellone, hand built , a contender for the L5 crown, and considerably less $$
    just my 2p. but I am fortunate in possessing a number of perfect guitars.

User Info Menu

Whichever one I happen to be playing at the moment...................

User Info Menu

Les Paul played jazz on a.....Les Paul!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73171

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Can I suggest alternatives? The Gibson Lee Ritenour is smaller than an L5CES, the L5CT is similar to an L5CES except the body depth is
    shallower, but still produces the L5 "sound", also the Collings LC eastside .lightweight, one CC/ HB pickup ,Ibanez GB10 and numerous
    others. The ultimate , one might consider is a Campellone, hand built , a contender for the L5 crown, and considerably less $$
    just my 2p. but I am fortunate in possessing a number of perfect guitars.
    My Lee Rit was perhaps the most beautiful guitar that I ever owned, but it didn't sound like an L5 CES. Like other small guitars it couldn't - because it's smaller. Physics, don't ya know.

But there's a place for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73171

Here's a 21 year old playing jazz on a Les Paul. He's pretty good too.

User Info Menu

I am glad to see so much variation between opinions about this topic, honestly I was expecting something almost purely associated with the ES-175 model! My beloved jazz guitars are an 40’s Armstrong Archtop (For miking it to get that oooold sound)
    Perfect Jazz Guitar?-8b5f3056-4f87-4d54-9c43-9ba397e496cf-jpg
    and my beloved new adquisition 1958 Guild CE-100 “Capri” (With the original Franz pickup)
    Perfect Jazz Guitar?-b4b185c5-0d44-4693-9c87-62af2601a41c-jpg
    For me, both guitars are incredible, unique and a dream to have and play... so yes, these two are my favourite jazz guitars in the world.
    cheers and all the best mates!
    Attached Images Attached Images Perfect Jazz Guitar?-66c37e14-8722-49a1-93bc-d3929d71af33-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fraffo
    I am glad to see so much variation between opinions about this topic, honestly I was expecting something almost purely associated with the ES-175 model! My beloved jazz guitars are an 40’s Armstrong Archtop (For miking it to get that oooold sound)
    Perfect Jazz Guitar?-8b5f3056-4f87-4d54-9c43-9ba397e496cf-jpg
    and my beloved new adquisition 1958 Guild CE-100 “Capri” (With the original Franz pickup)
    Perfect Jazz Guitar?-b4b185c5-0d44-4693-9c87-62af2601a41c-jpg
    For me, both guitars are incredible, unique and a dream to have and play... so yes, these two are my favourite jazz guitars in the world.
    cheers and all the best mates!

User Info Menu

I had that same guitar. It was a steal for 2k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musart
    I had that same guitar. It was a steal for 2k

User Info Menu

I inherited an Aria Pro 2 Strat with nice colouring and was planning to sell it. Strat style and tremolo are not my taste, I was looking for a semi-hollow with binding and dark shiny varnish. The Aria had been sitting in a corner for a year in my room after sitting in original owner’s sister’s place for 25 years or more.
    So yesterday I decided to check it out as previously I had only restrung it and never plugged it in seeing it went out of tune faster than it’s own shadow.
    It looks like it’s got a tone knob, a varitone and a pickup selector, all rusted so bad it hardly produces a signal. 25.5”, 24 frets.
    But the neck!!! It’s perfectly straight, a little flatter than my les Paul DC junior, and substantially more comfortable to play! It’s also 2cm les distance between nut and bottom end of body which seems to suit me better and the straight angle seems to fit me better too.
    So buying new pots now and a trem bar handle but not going to sell this one until I find a guitar equally comfortable to play.
    I had eyes on a Yamaha aex 520 but I now think the perfect jazz guitar is the one that feels best. It sounds real jazzy but that feels best. I may have to put flat wounds though and will never use that tremolo.

User Info Menu

Perfect guitar is one thing, I struggle with a non perfect room and chair!

User Info Menu

With you on this...just recently started playing mine again (1993 American, modded with humbucker in neck). Can play jazz on it, but then can switch over to rock/ambient/country, whatever the heck. Great guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPMCD
    With you on this...just recently started playing mine again (1993 American, modded with humbucker in neck). Can play jazz on it, but then can switch over to rock/ambient/country, whatever the heck. Great guitar.

I know it's subjective and I'll admit, I'm biased, but for me, it's an L-5:

I wouldn't turn-away an original D'Angelico however.

User Info Menu

That's not just "any" L5 there ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rNeil
    That's not just "any" L5 there ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'd have to type that I am in complete agreement with you rN.

User Info Menu

That is fantastic!