Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 401 to 410 of 410

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post

And in the end it's always the player and never the instrument. Never.

Just my opinion.

DB
    I'm glad that someone who is respected here on the JGF is saying that. I've said it before, you can have a premium instrument and still sound lousy. I'll take myself, for instance. My Eastman isn't top of the line, but it isn't entry level. Well, last night at a jam session this kid shows up with an Ibanez Artcore and a ZT lunchbox. I thought, okay--how's he gonna be heard above everyone else. BOY, was I wrong. He had the best guitar tone, and the most exciting playing of the night. I'm talking Wes Montgomery/Bruce Foreman kinda playing--no joke! An Artcore isn't a bad guitar, but it ain't a GB10 or a Tal Farlow. But he made it sound like BUTTAH, like I was listening to an old record with new ideas.

If I could afford it, I'd get that Benne on sale right now. But the guitar will never make the player. The sound has to come from within (not so hippy dippy bs, I mean you have to hear it in your head and know how to actualize it with your fingers). DB would still sound like DB on an Epi (they still make great guitars). Reg would still sound like Reg on a Godin (I've heard Jeffy B play them--so I know what they are capable of).

Gear is great--but it's never a magic pill... unfortunately.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    I'm glad that someone who is respected here on the JGF is saying that. I've said it before, you can have a premium instrument and still sound lousy. I'll take myself, for instance. My Eastman isn't top of the line, but it isn't entry level. Well, last night at a jam session this kid shows up with an Ibanez Artcore and a ZT lunchbox. I thought, okay--how's he gonna be heard above everyone else. BOY, was I wrong. He had the best guitar tone, and the most exciting playing of the night. I'm talking Wes Montgomery/Bruce Foreman kinda playing--no joke! An Artcore isn't a bad guitar, but it ain't a GB10 or a Tal Farlow. But he made it sound like BUTTAH, like I was listening to an old record with new ideas.

If I could afford it, I'd get that Benne on sale right now. But the guitar will never make the player. The sound has to come from within (not so hippy dippy bs, I mean you have to hear it in your head and know how to actualize it with your fingers). DB would still sound like DB on an Epi (they still make great guitars). Reg would still sound like Reg on a Godin (I've heard Jeffy B play them--so I know what they are capable of).

Gear is great--but it's never a magic pill... unfortunately.
    All quite true, but also bear in mind that a great instrument can inspire a player to play his/her best whereas a mediocre instrument may not, and also a poor instrument (or even a great instrument with a poor setup) can hamper a great player's playing.

Gear is no magic pill, but it is still a seriously important part of the equation.

User Info Menu

Strings, that's a huge part too--knowing how to setup the instrument to make it speak best for your playing.

You can have a stellar instrument and a shit setup. That guitarist I heard last night with the Artcore? I spoke to him thereafter. He plays with an 18 and a 15 for his B and E strings, and he played through a Quilter pre-amp to a ZT (I've never seen this type of amp setup before--like I said, it was loud). I thought you couldn't run strings that heavy on an Asian made guitar--I'm still scared of running a 14 on my high E (but I love the sound) because of the neck stability.

I still want a Bennedetto, but I think I'd still spend the money on lessons and forgo getting a new archie... at least for the next...um...20 years

User Info Menu

Irez87,

IDK, some of the MIJ guitars have the most rock-solid necks, as you suggest. I have never had a problem with big strings on an Aria or Ibanez.

Great observation about the value of lessons. Everything sounds better when you play good lines.

User Info Menu

I have mixed feelings about this issue.

I have heard a great player (a name you'd know) sound absolutely like himself on my Yamaha Cheapie and a Yamaha Silent nylon.
    Not the same tone as his usual extremely expensive instrument, but sounding great. So, I sort of think that any humbucker guitar, set up properly, is likely to sound reasonably good, at least up to the high D or so. (The last octave on the high E string seems to vary more among guitars).

At some point, I'm going to make a recording of several different guitars, including that Yamaha cheapie and a boutique archtop. My guess is that people may be able to tell which is which, but that not everybody will like the expensive instruments better.

Now, on the other side of the argument, I've never heard Wes' tone come out of anything other than an L5.

For me, inspiration comes when the guitar sounds and feels like I think it should. At that point, I can forget about the gear and focus on the music. That's happened with my Yamaha Cheapie and with more expensive guitars.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-25-2019 at 02:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Perfect Jazz guitar?-img_20190206_200214-jpg
    Hi ! This is my Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway. My favorite jazzbox. It's a ES175 1959 neck in mahogany, a L5 body but more lightweight and resonant, a Jonnhy Smith pickup. For the record the solid formed is a 25.5 scale and not 24.75... This was a mistake even in the gibson describe section. Ununderstandable ! But I assure you. It's a gorgeous guitar with a marvelous acoustic sound. The pick is a little bright for me but the tone button is really efficient. So it's my favorite jazzbox with a 25.5 scale and maybe the best I've ever had especially for low volume ! The only real issue for this guitar is to play loud for concert...The feedback is really inconvenient. But I love this guitar which by the way is a mysterious model with an inappropriate name... so weird to call it that way, and somehow a kind of commercial flop ! But when you have the guitar in your arms, the carved or press wood and the name, you don't care, because it sings so marvelously nice... And it's a beauty ! In my opinion, this guitar which is I think a commercial failure, is going to have its reputation growing and growing over time. Because if you meet it, you'll be captivated ! Love this Gibson SF ! My second choice, is my gorgeous ES175 VOS 1959, and last but not least my wonderful Yamaha SA2200 more a 335 like, but so versatile ! And to be fair I have to talk about an other wonderful jazz guitar which is of course the telecaster... I own a wonderfull Maybach Teleman T54, much better than all the fender including custom shop and masterbuilt I've ever tried. With Amber handmade pickups (like the original telecasters) and sugar pine body (like the original fenders !), it sounds great for jazz and so more. Also a wonderfull jazz guitar !
    Last edited by Zzapata; 06-28-2019 at 01:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Perfect jazz guitar? The next one I purchase...
    "Talent is a pursued interest; anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

User Info Menu

Perfect Jazz guitar?-kala-0-jpg
    "Thanks, but you should have heard what I was trying to play!" - T. Monk
    http://network.online.berklee.edu/profile/1200078

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    Perfect Jazz guitar?-l5sigfront1-jpg
    oooo that's nice Alter
    what is that ? What scale ?