The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 121 of 121

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backbreakerjr
    Anyone have any experience with the staytrem tremolo upgrade? I ordered the bridge and had them throw in the trem upgrade as well. I don't have the experience that others have with the bar being floppy but figured that I would be ready if this becomes an issue in the future.

Also, can anyone point me to setting up a Jazzmaster by one's self? A video or something to that sort? I'm really interested in making this things the best it can be and getting to know it to the best of my ability as well.

Thanks!
    I have a Staytrem arm as well. I didn't think that it would work as well as the Mastery tremolo arm though. The Staytrem relies on a nylon bushing, whereas the Master has a cam that tightens. I also didn't like the Fender and Fender knock off tremolos. I especially didn't like the button on the trems that allow to fix the tremolo. Seems like it was ripe for rattling. But if you like what you have and the arm doesn't flop go for it. I am still waiting on the neck so I won't be setting mine up for a while. There has to be a youtube video that can give you some pointers. Good luck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    What on earth does MB have between and below his pickups? Is it a bit of early "prepared guitar"? Designed to get an odd tremolo-type sound?
    My guess would be that it's a playing card, specifically a Joker, and a visual link to the "Wild" part of the album title. Wild (card) notes spilling from MB's Jazzmaster like cards from a deck. Just spitballin' here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    What on earth does MB have between and below his pickups? Is it a bit of early "prepared guitar"? Designed to get an odd tremolo-type sound?
    i always assumed it was a piece of paper put there to prevent him from scratching the (rather fragile) gold anodized pickuard...(why fender got rid of it!!!)...esp on a photo op guitar!!...

mickey baker is an unsung guitar legend...& very interesting life..be a good bio-pic

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ugarte
    Unfortunately I (and others) have discovered that Mastery's are not the last word, although they are definitely priced that way. I experienced a frustrating case of zithertone on the B and E that I could not cure. Not everyone gets this, but I do know others that have experienced it with JM/Jags as well as the Tele version. I wish it had worked for me, I can't stand the standard JM bridge either.

Yes, I have had this problem on my first string. The sitar syndrome. I replaced the string and it went away.....a bit.....but it's still there. Also, the Mastery can get some strange rattling going on as well. I don't like the shared harmonic adjustment either.
    Unfortunately, the guy making the Staytrem bridges is winding down his business and will not send any orders overseas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ugarte
    Unfortunately I (and others) have discovered that Mastery's are not the last word, although they are definitely priced that way. I experienced a frustrating case of zithertone on the B and E that I could not cure. Not everyone gets this, but I do know others that have experienced it with JM/Jags as well as the Tele version. I wish it had worked for me, I can't stand the standard JM bridge either.
    Try putting a bit of foam rubber under the strings between the nut and tuners.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Unfortunately, the guy making the Staytrem bridges is winding down his business and will not send any orders overseas.
    I haven't timed most things in my life well, but I did get a Staytrem bridge for my Jazzmaster partscaster before he decided to close shop. Whew!

There may be a way to use a Mustang bridge to get something similar. Maybe even using aftermarket tusq saddles?

User Info Menu

jazzmaster/ jaguar lovers & owners, do yourself a favor and go to amazon..and order a humble 10-15$ jm bridge like this-

Fender Jazzmaster-61wdqjasmkl-_sl1100_-jpg

they come under a variety of (constantly changing) brand names..but are pretty much the same...just pay attention to the fine points i.e. they get rid of the screw thread barrels and replace them with single slot barrels ala a mustang..but unlike a mustang bridge (which is often recommended as a replacement for jms), with these ^ each saddle is height adjustable..so takes care of both problems!!!

jazzmasters were real 50's tech...they came with very heavy 13 flats..so they didnt move around much on the bridge...lighter strings can cause havoc

there's also a protocol to adjusting the bridge..you want the bridge plate low to the pickguard..a medium pick thickness between bottom of base and surrounding pickguard...then you want to jack your individual barrell saddles up for correct radius and action

i use 09 rounds on one of my jm's..and never have any intonation or jumping the slot problems

lastly..the term sitaring- applies to a buzzing coming from the bridge..when the string doesn't sit well in the slot..it comes from sitar bridges..which are deliberately set up to buzz!!...think of the big bridge plate on an electric sitar!!

cheers

User Info Menu

What is an inexpensive way to buy a Fender Jazzmaster with a real vibe of the originals?

User Info Menu

One of the two Squires probably. There is a ‘60s Vibe and a J Mascis model. People tend to like the latter for some reason or another.

User Info Menu

the Squire goes for 200 bucks, it's not bad but it's not the real deal.
    I find the JM more comfortable than the Tele's I've been shopping, and I just tried the Original 60's model. It's a nice guitar, and for $2k it should be. Clean sounding pickups, bound neck like an archtop, quality hardware. The $1k MIM model is good, too, but the neck isn't as nice.
    When I was a teenager in the 70's one of my guitar buddies had an original one. The re-issue is probably as close as you'll get, but it's not inexpensive.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much for the replies.
    I am interested in an
    Inexpensive Jazzmaster with a classic feel (e.g. 1962 models)
    as I wrote before.
    Mainly because after many years of entertaining the thought that a great archtop is the answer to everything, I now realise that my instincts are really for solid bodies. I was entirely brought up on, in the '60s and '70s, Strat copies, early Japanese Fenders, Gibson SGs, various Italian - some very good quality, like Eko Kadett, guitars based on American solids, and some other European guitars like Framus and Hofner.

Now I have a range of 175s (Gibson 1985, and various Epiphones) and L5-style Korean guitars. But recently, as I say, I have found that none of them feel as good in my hands as the Strats, Telecasters, SGs, Les Pauls, etc. [Although I am entirely into the tone-quality of more classical jazz players (from Johnny Smith to Pat Martino, Jim Hall, Mark Whitfield, Ed Bickert, Raineys, et al. ... ...)]

The Jazzmaster, when I was 16 in 1969 was not considered cool in my circles for some childish, fashion-based, non-musical reasons. But I do remember some very good musicians (older generation) playing them in function bands beautifully. And I do remember how versatile they were: I heard them used by anything from muzak bands to psychedelic groups.
    I would now like to get hold of one of those; put some flats,12s (or Thomastik 13s) on them and see if I can get some Ventures --- as well as Jazz tones from it (I know, the famous few videos of Joe Pass with a Fender solid are not the Jazzmaster, but Jaguar, I am sure he could have got the same sound from the Jazzmaster too - short scale or not!)

Anyway, I am not sure if I want to go up to £900 / $1000 range (as this is an experimental phase with the Jazzmaster notion! Maybe I should, but maybe the Squire classic Vibe will satisfy my curiosity (unfortunately the tremolo doesn't lock on those I understand - which is important for me).

With very best wishes, and thank you again for your replies,
    s.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it looks like neither one of those Squires has the button to lock the tremolo. You can probably screw down the tension enough so it wouldn't be necessary though. At least for playing. I think that the locking button is mostly meant to make changing single broken strings easier.

User Info Menu

Looking at current jazzmaster specs , most of them
    are long scale , what's up with that ?

i thought Jaguars were long scale
    jazzmasters were short scale

or have I got that wrong ?
    Last edited by pingu; 09-15-2019 at 08:12 PM.

User Info Menu

best choice is the squier vintage modified jazzmaster..close to the real fender...yes, doesn't have the trem lock..which is not a real deal breaker...its only there to lock it in place if you break a string..but if you break a string, you'll be far out of tune before you even think of using it anyway!! hah...the vm has all the beloved idiosyncrasies of the originals..and the duncan designed pickups (asian made) are not bad at all...( & you could always get some fender 65 pickups as replacements)

the squier mascis jm is nice too...but modernizes out some of the jms best features...(for the real jm purist)..the mascis uses p90 style (under the covers) pickups as opposed to classic fender type jm pups...it also uses a tuneamatic bridge and moves the trem closer to the bridge for more tuning stability...but it changes the tone!!!..so its all a compromise..the fit and finish on them is wonderful tho...cool looking (white and gold) and with great comfy necks

jazzmasters are where it's at!!!..leo was seriously trying to make a solid jazz guitar!!...the separate neck pup circuit gives you two completely distinct/great neck pup tones in the flick of a switch...perfect for jazz!!!

vm it

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-16-2019 at 01:26 AM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Looking at current jazzmaster specs , most of them
    are long scale , what's up with that ?

i thought Jaguars were long scale
    jazzmasters were short scale

or have I got that wrong ?
    p- jazzmasters always have been long scale..fenders 25.5

its the jaguar that has the 24" shorter scale..ala gibbys byrdland territory!!!..

jaguars are cool too..but have a brighter more tele edged tone..can cut thru a mix nicely...but jazzmaster has nice warm jazz neck tone perfect for jazz

cheers

User Info Menu

Many thanks for the replies.
    ... but what about other options, such as the Japanese
    Jazzmaster 1966 Re-issues?

Is there something special / different about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have played the J model a bunch of times. It will be mine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I have played the J model a bunch of times. It will be mine!
    Many thanks.
    Yes, in many ways the Japanese version feels very similar to the originals. Even the Mustang bridge is the same.
    I’ve just tried a Mexican newest model (about £800), I can’t remember the new model names they have started to use on these. They are very good too, but they have tunomatic bridges, which I don’t like in Fenders, but the sound is very similar to the old ones.
    best wishes,
    s

User Info Menu

For those of us who never get tired of guitar history.

User Info Menu

MG, if that guy was my teacher in all my classes, I’d be a whole lot smarter.
    What a well done synopsis of the history of a guitar I’ve always wondered about.

Thanks MG.

User Info Menu

MG: As a happy Jaguar owner ('64) and restorer, I have always admired the Jazzmaster and been on the lookout for the right one. Unfortunately, I haven't found even one, let alone the "Right'' one. This video history was a delight. Thank you!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 04-08-2020 at 04:22 AM. Reason: punk2ationz