The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 297

User Info Menu

I stick to flats on my Archtops, its the tone I like and they last a year minimum, I am just a living room player nowadays though...
    Thomastik Infeld JS112 flats is my go to strings on the Tal and 125, I get them from Germany as they are cheaper than in Canada or USA even with shipping.
    If going for d'Addarios, I would use Chrome 11 and swap 1st and 2nd for a 12 and 16.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    I stick to flats on my Archtops, its the tone I like and they last a year minimum, I am just a living room player nowadays though...
    Thomastik Infeld JS112 flats is my go to strings on the Tal and 125, I get them from Germany as they are cheaper than in Canada or USA even with shipping.
    If going for d'Addarios, I would use Chrome 11 and swap 1st and 2nd for a 12 and 16.
    Ok thanks a million Vin! When using the Thomastik Infeld JS112 flats, can you still play a funk/jazz gig and play cleaner James brown type rthyms? I want it for Wes style bebop primarily, but do play a variety of other styles.
    Id assume in demos like these they have rounds to get that punchier sound

thx guys!!

User Info Menu

Similarily to Vinnyv1k, I have owned three TF's ,IMO too they
    are great instruments, my current 2013 purchased new is a
    keeper, a Crimson Custom shop model, and plays as well
    as an L5CES. it offers better comfort with its body depth of only
    3". The Classic '57 pickups are ideally suited to it. As has already
    been said they will increase in value on the used market especially
    now they are no longer made. It would make more sense to sell an
    L5 0r Wesmo currently , and only then if driven to it.
    Oh and btw, the strings found best suited to it are TI;s flats JS112

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Similarly to Vinnyv1k, I have owned three TF's ,IMO too they
    are great instruments, my current 2013 purchased new is a
    keeper, a Crimson Custom shop model, and plays as well
    as an L5CES. it offers better comfort with its body depth of only
    3". The Classic '57 pickups are ideally suited to it. As has already
    been said they will increase in value on the used market especially
    now they are no longer made. It would make more sense to sell an
    L5 0r Wesmo currently , and only then if driven to it.
    Oh and btw, the strings found best suited to it are TI;s flats JS112
    ok thx so much for confirming, I’m ordering a mint 2014 sunburst Tal tomorrow
    ill post some pics when she arrives.

Vin suggested the JS112’s, so I’ll have them setup with those for sure.
    -anyone get a higher end case for theirs by chance?
    -I’m in San Diego, I wonder if I should use a humidifier in the F hole?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I'm definitely smitten by this TF. Is that a walnut finish? It looks like it has a little red in it. Wow!

The styling of the TF is the sort of stuff the Gibson employees would create if the "suits" weren't in charge. The fretboard inlays, the scrolled binding and the pointy PG are Kalamazoo gaudy (which is the greatest compliment one can bestow an embellished tool of any kind).

The deep cutaway and neck and body dimensions were well thought out.

What I don't understand is how Gibson held back on the ebony fretboard and gold. That is uncharacteristic restraint. My guess is that Tal wanted rosewood and nickel. That's class.

I played a 175 for years. I just didn't know any better!
    I'm new to many of the Gibson jazz boxes including the Tal. They are beautiful, to state the obvious. Thanks for the new GAS ha ha.

Some of the later Kalamazoo builders on Parsons St liked the pointy pickguards too.

User Info Menu

Alrighty guys, the 2014 Tal Farlow I ordered arrived and it’s stellar! Amazing flawless workmanship and sounds spectacular! As folks have mentioned, as Guitar good or better a guitar as an L5 or 175, but can be found for a grand or more less, due to folks not knowing about their awesomeness

-I’m in San Diego and am researching if I need to humidify, do yuh guys think I should use an oasis in its case all year? Can I over humidify it? What’s the safest way to go without a controlled room?

Thanks again for the input! This git is so beautiful, I’m almost afraid to play the shit out of it hah.
    I seriously will consider buying a 2nd if a deal pops up ever...

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-d83fe43e-5367-4271-b0ce-d3290b6a6352-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-3f87aa25-e86e-447b-9486-61bc2efa38a9-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-d3d96a77-ce43-44ee-b30c-9ad29f795e61-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-46843456-d092-4687-92d6-353a699e3394-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-16ea667b-f64b-4201-bd1a-e21480c5d2b3-jpg Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-4f10745d-aa4f-4a3f-bb93-ce1579c8731b-jpg 

User Info Menu

Its a beauty, congratulations!
    It reminds me Booboo
    Welcome to the Tal owners club, play it in good health

User Info Menu

Just arrived yesterday, in mint condition, COA and all case candy!

Compared to my ES175, very powerful and vibrant. Great tone, love 'em both!!

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-img_0103-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-img_0104-jpg?

User Info Menu

Boatheelmusic,
    You did real good there. The neck on the Tal is to die huh? The color and the design make it the absolute nicest electric Jazz guitar available, in my opinion.
    It will inspire you over the next couple of months and help you elevate your chops to a whole new level. It did for me.
    Enjoy, Joe D.

User Info Menu

Thanks, CK and Joe - as happened to someone else here, my wife thought it is the most beautiful guitar she's seen, which of course helped with the funding!!

The seller told me it played better than he did, as is certainly the case with me.

Best,

Bill

User Info Menu

Congrats Bill,

May she inspire your playing for many years to come. A Tele, a Tal and a 175? I would say you have the electric guitar thing covered!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats Bill,

May she inspire your playing for many years to come. A Tele, a Tal and a 175? I would say you have the electric guitar thing covered!
    With the help and advice of all here, hard to make mistakes in guitar choices!!

User Info Menu

Bill,
    Beautiful Tal and tremendous value . Wishing you many years of enjoyment .

User Info Menu

Congratulations, what a beautiful guitar. I was actually seriously looking for a Tal, but Hurricane Michael has seriously redirected my financial focus. Ah well, I will appreciate it more when I finally get there. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Tals are fabulous instruments, they truly have a tone of their own, it completely cured my Archtop GAS when I got mine.
    Could easily be my one and only Archtop if we exclude the "vintage" itch which got cured by my 125...
    Play it in good health and welcome to the happy Tal owners club !

User Info Menu

That Tal is a great guitar looks fantastic. We always want to buy a guitar that will at least give sound and value down through the passage of time. This Tal is THE choice they won't get cheaper or any nicer! Now we need sound clip and maybe play a Tal classic tune he did like............like Isn't Romantic...............Do not worry if you are not Tal because no else on the forum is either.

User Info Menu

Hello! Glad I stumbled onto this page. I realize I may get a look of disdain for this but I want to replace the pickups in my Tal with TV Jones. Is this possible? Mine is the cherry red one like in the photos above. Thank you all

User Info Menu

Hey, A cat named Bosco:

Welcome. Your modification of the TF should be doable. TV Jones pickups are quite nice. Let us know how it works out.

User Info Menu

This beauty arrived Tuesday morning (Feb 19), a very cold day in KC, and the box was ice cold, so I had to wait about 20 hours until this morning to open it. These pictures are from CME, where I bought it; they are much better than any I can take:

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-6-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-4-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-2-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-8-jpg

What can I say--I love red guitars. Maybe it's because my wife is a redhead.

Anyway, my first impression when I was FINALLY able to un-box it, tune it up, and play was....

I'M SENDING IT BACK.

Why?

Because I am not one-tenth the player to be playing this fine instrument.

It came with 11s (Chromes), and set up perfectly for them. The pictures show a different set (with silk). I can't find any fret wear or any evidence that the guitar was played much. The case is a little dusty, but scuff-free, like maybe it sat under a bed somewhere. All the nickel is tarnished as would be expected for a 16-year old guitar, but the finish is flawless.

I have 3 days to send it back, so I spent a couple of hours checking everything--pickups, switch, truss rod--everything seems fine except the nut is cut for lighter strings, and the D is definitely hanging up (pinging). I find that odd; the nut slots are too narrow for 11s? Maybe someone here can explain? I though maybe the string gauges were mixed up, but I measured all of them with calipers, and they were correct. The nut does look a little fresh for 2003, but if it was changed out, it was done professionally, except for the slots.

The tone is great--played it through a JC-120, a Vox AC15, a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, and finally, for the best tone, a Boss Katana Head and 2x12 cab. The 11s feel like 12s, but I think that is because of the scale length (25.5"). I intended to go with 13s, but I think that I will try La Bella Jazz Flats 12s first. Actually, the 11s sound great, but feel a little too slinky.

Of course I'm keeping it.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! The Tal gets a lot of love around here!

User Info Menu

Beautiful. Just a superficial thing, but the pickguard color looks great against the red body.

User Info Menu

I endorse the idea of keeping the Tal and improving your playing to become a deserving Tal player.

Lovely guitar. Hang on!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Tal appreciation club

User Info Menu

So on the topic of Tals, why are these guitars not more popular? I prefer them over the 175 (although of course they are wonderful of it’s a good one), it’s going to feel safer bringing a Tal over an L5 to certain gigs where a carved guitar might potentially have issues - I’ve wondered why there are so few players looking out there compared to the L5 and 175. I would think considering how good it is that it should be equally as popular as those two models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I play a 175, and the only reason I haven't purchased a tal is the scale length. isn't that like the same as a telecaster? That's a huge difference