The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 297

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Yes one of mine. Anyone that thumbs there nose at a Tal Farlow model is simply because they never owned one. One of the best guitars on the planet period. LOL getting one now though sadly. Nice playing bro.
    Thanks Bro.
    The Tal is a very comfortable guitar to play.
    Just think about it bro... your new Campellone is going to be the best of all the guitars ever made wrapped into one. 17 x 3. Perfect carved, all over. 25” scale and a 1-11/16 nut, perfect amount of bling and the nicest Tailpiece in the business.
    You got me started on the Tal.
    i wish my Tal didn’t have the “Boo-boo”. But it’s still one of the best guitars I’ve ever touched. Thanks bro.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ps- just revisited the old boo boo-renaldo original thread..to bring that guitar back and make it sound so good...that's wonderful!! kudos all around

NGD - Gibson Tal Farlow

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Yes one of mine. Anyone that thumbs there nose at a Tal Farlow model is simply because they never owned one. One of the best guitars on the planet period. LOL getting one now though sadly. Nice playing bro.
    I suggest that the forthcoming scarcity of Crimson Custom Archtops, including not
    only the TF, but also the Byrdland, S400, L5' s etc., will enhance the desirability
    and asking prices will increase accordingly, I don't buy into the theory that only
    old fogeys have an interest in them. There is no greater challenge in this sphere
    than dearly wanting something that is no longer readily available. Big Mike recently
    opined that players will be searching worldwide for their heart's desire, an
    unavailable Gibson Archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe. a very nice video, Tenderly sounding particularly good on the TF. I love the drop D also, The lack of popularity of the TF has always puzzled me, it's like a poor relation to the Archtops but depending on who is playing it !!...........it can sound like an L5, thanks for posting this, such a relaxing tune. As it has been said many times. If we could have only one guitar the TF is a leading contender.
    Thank you Alan, the other class of the organization.
    The only other guitar that felt like my L5’s is this Tal. It makes the playing part of guitar playing a lot easier than the remembering part! What’s New and Tenderly are similar in a lot of ways. Just like Cant Get Started and The Song is You, they seem to commingle onto one song all the time. The challenge to keep them all separate is excercise for the brain.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing an the guitar sounds lovely. The Tal is such a winner and I miss mine even 18 years after selling it - hope to get another some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Joe, you are too modest. I love fine guitars as much as you do though my finances and location in the world rules out buying as many as you have done. However, it seems to me that you have said "this is my best guitar ever" - or something to that effect - about every new guitar you have got. And the playing and the tone sounds great on the clips with all of them. Maybe it's more you than the guitar which makes it sound so good.

User Info Menu

Hey Joe,

You always sound great and so does this guitar. But my personal opinion is that I prefer your carved top Johnny Smith guitars (of different makers) for your particular style. The Tal is a very warm and seems less dynamic. I'm sure it plays wonderfully, and that matters to you as a player for sure. But I like the woody and brighter tone of your JS guitars a bit more.

Enjoy them all...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Hey Joe,
    You always sound great and so does this guitar. But my personal opinion is that I prefer your carved top Johnny Smith guitars (of different makers) for your particular style. The Tal is a very warm and seems less dynamic. I'm sure it plays wonderfully, and that matters to you as a player for sure. But I like the woody and brighter tone of your JS guitars a bit more.
    Enjoy them all...
    Thank you RP. You know, I cant disagree with you at all.
    I try not to box myself into a particular style of playing, but I cant run away from my preferences. I love Chord Melody guitar and in particular the style of Johnny Smith and Joe Pass. And you are right, the big carved Floater archtops really sound better when I play them as opposed to Guitars like the Tal or even the 175/165. No doubt.
    I tried playing my floater 165 last night through this same workflow. Straight through the mixer changed the sound of 165. It removed some of the brightness from that guitar. That was disappointing to me. Perhaps the Mixer altered the sound of the Tal too.

I want to have one box that;
    I can practice with headphones.
    I can record with (using my Windows 10 SurfacePro3)
    I can have a Auxiliary Jack.

The Mixer does all of this. But it might not transfer sound accurately.

The Zoom G3 does everything but it doesn't have a Aux jack.
    The RP360 does everything but I doesn't work with Windows 10

I am looking at the Boss GT001 and the Zoom G5N which I thing will do the job but I will sell my other pedals 1st. I don't want to be tripping over pedals in my room..

User Info Menu

Gibson archtops sound really good straight into the board. Your Tal sounds great that way.

My '68 ES-175 used to record well and sound great straight into the recording desk. The circuit on the desk provided a bit of compression (it was a tube circuit) and the EQ on flat was perfect.

You can hear the difference between a 17" and a 16" Gibson, though. I like the big guitar.

User Info Menu

Very nice!

I had a new Tal in my hands a couple of years ago and could have taken it home for around $4K ...

wish I could have done that, but I just didn't have the cash handy for another guitar at the time

It was a wonderful guitar ... a Tal is high on my dream list so maybe someday ...

Then again ... I'm not hurting for great guitars ... so I can't complain

User Info Menu

I'll write something more later, for now here's a short movie from today - me and my new Tal with a friend playing his telecaster. I would love him to play his nylon, but this is also a new guitar of his and he wanted to play it.

I'm not completely happy with the sound - I have .11 d'addario chromes on it (probably) and my Deluxe Reverb made some weird noises so I had to use my henriksen, but it's not bad for a first try.

What do you think about both - the sound of my new dream guitar and the playing?
    How do you find this duo - Tal + tele?

Thanks,
    Jakub

User Info Menu

Jakub,

Congrats on the Tal. Playing by both players is great as are both tones. I like the Plywood hollowbody a bit better than the Humbucker equipped Tele, but that is a matter of taste. If I were you, I would try TI flats on the TF.

This is a tasty duo. The sound quality is great. What is your video/recording setup? Show us more!

User Info Menu

Great playing & tone by both parties! Congratulations on both new guitars-the tele added a nice contrast to the video IMHO!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Jakub,

Congrats on the Tal. Playing by both players is great as are both tones. I like the Plywood hollowbody a bit better than the Humbucker equipped Tele, but that is a matter of taste. If I were you, I would try TI flats on the TF.

This is a tasty duo. The sound quality is great. What is your video/recording setup? Show us more!
    Thanks! I have Thomastiks 12 on all my guitars and the Tal will get them, too. This is what it came with and I got two additional sets, that why I'm trying to get used to them for now they don't sound bad at all but I have had chromed in the past and the change to thomastik always made a difference.

This was recorded with my canon eos 500d, sound wise two akg c1000 mics close to the amps and into my NI Kontakt interface. Everything pretty inexpensive.

User Info Menu

The Tal might sound marginally better with .012 TIs, but I doubt the difference would be much, perhaps not perceptible on a recording. Differences a player can hear in a quiet room often can't be heard at all once the sound is recorded and played back. I think you sound fine on the Tal as it is, but clearly string choice is entirely up to you. Excellent playing by both.

User Info Menu

TF's are kings! Get that tube amp fixed and you'll be in guitar heaven!

User Info Menu

JZ, Yes! I loved it. Beautiful playing. And the sound of the Tal is classic. Both of you guys are very accomplished Jazz players.
    Great song to try out your new Tal with.
    Im happy for you Jakub.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Great sounding guitar, as I would expect from a Tal, and boy is that a looker too. Enjoyed the playing as well - the Tal and the Tele compliment one another and offer some contrast between the sounds. I like that combo a lot. I’ve been having hand problems and was thinking perhaps about going down in gauge but am used to 13s so this at least shows me that a big archtop can still sound great with lighter strings on it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Some of the modern Gibson finishes are shaded as nice as I've seen since the 60s
    "Darn that Gibson"

User Info Menu

Tal’s rule ! Congrats on getting one of the best Gibson’s on the planet.

User Info Menu

Great playing and tone!
    The Sunburst Finish on your Tal is particularly stunning, congratulations.
    Strings do make a difference even a slight gauge change, at least it does on my Tal.
    When I got my mine in summer 2015, it was setup on TI JS112 and sounded awesome.
    At that time, TI JS113 was my go to set and I even had a couple spare sets.
    I did a quick swap for JS113 but felt my Tal was better responding to the slightly lighter gauge.
    After only a couple hours I put back the JS112 and it was obvious from that point it was my new go to set.
    Fortunately I could swap all my spare JS113 sets with some guys here for their extra JS112.

Dutchbopper Guest
    I don't get it. I have listened to two Tal Farlow clips today (this one and Joe Ds) and none sounded anything like mine. As if I was listening to a different model.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I don't get it. I have listened to two Tal Farlow clips today (this one and Joe Ds) and none sounded anything like mine. As if I was listening to a different model.

DB
    It is the mechanic, not the tool.

User Info Menu

If I had to restrict myself to a single guitar, at this point, it would probably be a Tal Farlow--i.e., a 17" laminated archtop guitar. If I could get my hands on an old ES-350, I would do that instead.

Fortunately, I am no that constrained. Therefore, I play a carved archtop, a laminated archtop, and both a Stratocaster and a Telecaster.

I find you and your buddy's playing and guitars to be simply GREAT. I also love the chart "Darn That Dream."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    TF's are kings! Get that tube amp fixed and you'll be in guitar heaven!
    Yeah, the deluxe was fuller sounding than the Henriksen, but you know me - I'll put another video up soon :-) maybe Tal vs 175 through the deluxe? :-)