The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 297

User Info Menu

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-ebc5c54c-0d07-42d9-a853-445ed1e8a92b-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Boing..
    Still the most beautiful guitar ever Vin.
    Love it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Funny thing is Tal’s main player, up till maybe 96/7 or so did not have a scroll, it had a circle with the pickup switch where the scroll is. Tal used the bridge pup for his harmonic lines, that switch buried under the pickguard was a non starter for him.
    i suppose tomorrow I will post a pic of that, along with a TF surprise I got yesterday! Hmmmm?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=vinnyv1k;1075569]Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-ebc5c54c-0d07-42d9-a853-445ed1e8a92b-jpg

i own a twin of Vinny's TF, it is a Crimson Custom shop model 2013, acquired new , I px'd my Ibanez GB100
    for it, The TF is on par with the best, it's tone and playability commensurate with an L5, our friend Dutchbopper
    has made very complimentary comments on his own. The scroll btw is an extension of the binding and not painted on.
    Not wishing to appear boastful, but I have three other Gibsons, and a fabulous Campellone, needless to say ,all are
    keepers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Funny thing is Tal’s main player, up till maybe 96/7 or so did not have a scroll, it had a circle with the pickup switch where the scroll is. Tal used the bridge pup for his harmonic lines, that switch buried under the pickguard was a non starter for him.
    i suppose tomorrow I will post a pic of that, along with a TF surprise I got yesterday! Hmmmm?

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-17799131_10155202943307002_8520645792991476720_n-jpg

That was a prototype built for Tal that he used almost exclusively for the rest of his career. It was sold by Rudy's a couple of years ago together with the rest of Tal's collection. It's now with a dealer in Paris.

User Info Menu

Tal rejected the 1st prototype from Gibson. The 2nd one made for him was approved by Tal and used till the early 70’s when it was stolen at a airport. He went back to his prototype till Gibson started making them again in the 90’s. Henry J was good about sending him a new TF after that. They are great guitars. Thank you Tal !

User Info Menu

cheers

User Info Menu

Great pic !

User Info Menu

Well about that Reverb listing..... It’s here now, and it was a very good deal. The pictures of the neck damage are far far worse on Reverb than reality. Neck is true, no twisting, rod works, I buffed out the bridge scuffs. I’ll have my luthier go over of course, but it plays and sounds like it should. Best of all it’s that neat more yellow than brown color that Vinnyv1k’s avatar is. Pic below but they’re a bit browner than reality. So I happily spent Sunday cleaning and polishing, restringing it while watching the Giants actually win a game. Then later in the day we get a call... daughters engaged. Wild Sunday!

Also below is a pic of my L5. I included it cause the picture of Tal and I was taken at a lesson when it had just arrived (Dec1989). Can you believe how beautiful the spruce is now compared to that paper white new guitar? The pic really shows Tal’s hand size compared to mine). Sadly almost all my lesson tapes, pictures, neat stuff all was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. I’m trying to find what survived and will post when I do.

If he were with us you know he would be so warmed by this thread. Wonderfully humble man.

dave

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-1ed264f3-b632-42da-8889-ba2d1571eda9-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-76d6d4cd-9963-4c6d-b6c4-b1fc6580555e-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-fc33b6e6-3247-4da6-bd16-ecd310c98650-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-08dc825d-70c0-43d8-a530-d480e736f635-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-87b3252b-f0cb-46ed-a21f-4598b69ccb36-jpg

User Info Menu

Oops forgot to add.... that D’Armond pickup right behind the neck pickup. It was wired to a stereo out jack, and went to a Boss octave divider. Most of Tal’s gigs then were with his bass player Gary Mazzaroppi (or Jack Six) and this let him play a bass line while the bassist soloed.

User Info Menu

Wow, the Tal looks really good.
    I wanted to buy that Guitar. The deal of the Century. I am glad a fellow forum member got it. Especially some one who knew Tal himself and one who takes great care of his stuff.
    The Tal looks Beautiful. Enjoy it.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Stunning Dave!! That's the color we all want. Pretty flame as well. See you already swapped the bridge out Might try that as well.
    That guitar couldnt have gone to a better home.
    That L5 is not bad either!

User Info Menu

Question : Who played false harmonics before Tal Farlow ? Or was Tal the 1st and inventor ?
    Lenny Breau mastered it as does Doyle Dykes presently but did Tal start it ?

User Info Menu

Wow really good question. Tal was doing that pretty early on. But i cant think of anyone else late 40’s doing it I could be wrong, gonna do some research for sure.
    Lenny spent a lot of time at Tal’s house. (So did Stan Getz BTW.). IIRC Lenny had been in a dark place and was trying to get his act together...fishing off the dock behind the house. Overall its sad story, no sense repeating with both gone.

Before my wrist injury i had that down pretty well. He showed me the trick he used, which was to treat the area of strings from the neck end to the back of the neck pup like its own little fingerboard using the neck, pup screws, and pup end as markers. It’s actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it as youre fretting with your left hand and then you are syncing the movements of your right hand in the same pattern. If that makes sense)? Of course it requires moving the pick from thumb/index to thumb/middle and the index becomes the harmonic ‘producer’.
    Also, he switched to the bridge pickup. For what ever reason it produces a clearer harmonic than the neck pup. Hence he liked the “second prototype” compared to the true TF model cause the switch was easier to grab. He was used to the rotary switch on the 350.
    This is fun; the more I think about this stuff the more is coming back. I mean, 30 years ago. Hard to believe.
    The Lady Adams is driving me to Johns Hopkins this am, all pleasant thoughts accepted

Dutchbopper Guest
    I recorded this vid today, just for this thread. It's just some blowing but this is pretty much what my Tal sounds like through my Polytone. Personally, I would not know how to improve on this sound if you are into Tal's vibe.

The ending came kind of unexpected, I had not rehearsed it.

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-2-jpgGibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-1-jpg

The lighting in my vid was such that the flames hardly showed. So here's two pics of it that do.

DB

User Info Menu

That's definitely the sound. Who wouldn't love to sound and play like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Question : Who played false harmonics before Tal Farlow ? Or was Tal the 1st and inventor ?
    Lenny Breau mastered it as does Doyle Dykes presently but did Tal start it ?
    Tal Farlow may have been the first to use them extensively in jazz, but passages of artificial harmonics were already used in pieces by classical guitarists in the 19th century, e.g. Tarrega.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous TF and playing Dick ! We both have a big love for Tal Farlow.
    Both the man and the guitar.

Thank you Dave for your Tal stories. My big regret is never meeting the man or seeing him play live.

Johnny Smith said Tal was the nicest person he ever knew.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Gorgeous TF and playing Dick ! We both have a big love for Tal Farlow. Both the man and the guitar.
    Sure thing Vinny. Our Tals too are very similar!

DB

User Info Menu

Note on Tal’s prototype is came with gold hardware. After that Gibson went to nickel. My guess is that Gibson realized gold would hurt L5CES sales too much.

User Info Menu

Beautiful Gibson TF guitar, beautiful playing. Wish I was that far along with my playing.

User Info Menu

Hi Vinny.... JS was right. Tal was an extraordinary person. Warm, humble and self effacing. We all know he was a sign painter. Can you imagine he was going up and down 52nd street doing signs for Bird, Miles, Teagarden. And he was headlining in one of the clubs!

Thank you all for your PM comments. I’m reluctant to boast this stuff, but I realize it should be passed on. (Lol before I do.) Thinking of writing something up on how I was taught chord melody by him, it’s a different approach than what I see. Promise on the other side of the health issues i will post some playing.

d

User Info Menu

Dave......I will pray for your health. God bless Sir.

Gorgeous TF and playing Dick ! We both have a big love for Tal Farlow.
    Both the man and the guitar.

Thank you Dave for your Tal stories. My big regret is never meeting the man or seeing him play live.

Johnny Smith said Tal was the nicest person he ever knew.
    I got to see Tal perform in London in the late eighties and used a Walter Woods amp and sounded GREAT!!!