The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 297

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Beautiful guitar for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog

I have had my Tal Farlow since 2005. Bought it from a pic at Murch music in Canada and had it shipped to the Netherlands. I did a video on it a few years later that you might enjoy. It must have been made way over 10 years ago ... I am not wearing glasses yet. At the time I did not have much experience with vintage archtops so my statement at the end that the guitar is "light and responsive" should be taken with a grain of salt. But amplified it is one heck of a guitar and even now - owning a genuine 1952 ES 350 and a 1947 ES 300 - I still love playing it!

DB

Thank you for sharing your video, DB! I do enjoy learning about these great instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Roli, we all rejoice and welcome you with open arms to TOG.

A VERY fine specimen indeed. Good thing happen to good people.
    One more big Congrats !
    Thank you, Vinny. You are a true gentleman!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can any member please confirm which Gibson plant these were made in -- the serial number identifies as Bozeman Montana Plant ( round hole acoustic plant ??? ) whereas stickers & passport say Custom Shop , Kalamazoo ???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Demall
    Can any member please confirm which Gibson plant these were made in -- the serial number identifies as Bozeman Montana Plant ( round hole acoustic plant ??? ) whereas stickers & passport say Custom Shop , Kalamazoo ???
    As far as I know, the original ones from 1962-69 were made in Kalamazoo, the reissue since 1993 from Nashville Custom Plant
    I also wonder why the guitardaterproject site claims these were made in the Bozeman plant

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Thank you, Vinny. You are a true gentleman![/FONT]
    There is NO DOUBT about that.
    JD

User Info Menu

Bro I know you only want 1 more guitar but need 2. L5 & TF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    As far as I know, the original ones from 1962-69 were made in Kalamazoo, the reissue since 1993 from Nashville Custom Plant&lt;br&gt;<br>
    I also wonder why the guitardaterproject site claims these were made in the Bozeman plant
    &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Thanks Vinlander - yes 1993 on Nashville but the mystery continues as I have seen inside several over the years where Gibson serial number coding indicates Bozeman ! As these are pressed ply bodied guitars could the bodies have been formed at Bozeman then sent to Nashville for Custom Shop to finish ?<br>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Demall
    <br><br>Thanks Vinlander - yes 1993 on Nashville but the mystery continues as I have seen inside several over the years where Gibson serial number coding indicates Bozeman ! As these are pressed ply bodied guitars could the bodies have been formed at Bozeman then sent to Nashville for Custom Shop to finish ?<br>
    Do all of those results come from the The Guitar Dater Project? If so, I would be very skeptical. Do you have an example of a number?

User Info Menu

Bro I know you only want 1 more guitar but need 2. L5 & TF
    You are right, I know it.
    Im just trying to be good!
    It aint workin...
    JD

User Info Menu

Perhaps one needs an L5 and a Tal. But during the times of COVID? It’s not happening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Perhaps one needs an L5 and a Tal. But during the times of COVID? It’s not happening.
    COVID is a reminder that life is short. Get your L5 AND Tal while you have time. Tomorrow might not come.

Carpe Guitarem.

User Info Menu

But my retired budget won’t handle it. Good for those who can afford it during COVID times. So many people are laid off and their jobs aren’t coming back.

The times dictate when and what time we purchase. That’s what I’m truly saying. Some can afford thousands for guitars despite the times, well good for you. It’s simply not a realistic acquisition in these times for so many.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    You are right, I know it.
    Im just trying to be good!
    It aint workin...
    JD
    Just tell Elaine the devil made you do it and put a extra $20 in the offering plate for your sins.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    But my retired budget won’t handle it. Good for those who can afford it during COVID times. So many people are laid off and their jobs aren’t coming back.

The times dictate when and what time we purchase. That’s what I’m truly saying. Some can afford thousands for guitars despite the times, well good for you. It’s simply not a realistic acquisition in these times for so many.
    You are of course, totally right. I was just injecting a little levity into the conversation. I'm hurting too and just sold a very much treasured guitar to help pay off some very steep bills and will likely sell another "keeper" pretty soon for the same reason.

I hear you.

User Info Menu

Hang in there, everybody. It's the dreams that keep us rolling. This whole site is a go-to happy pill and this thread... man oh man, someday when a Tal can be swung, it shall be swungeth!

User Info Menu

On the TF, is there any reason to prefer a recent Crimson Shop version over one from the '90's. or vice versa?

Thanks in advance. I never really considered one of these before, but it checks a lot of boxes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    On the TF, is there any reason to prefer a recent Crimson Shop version over one from the '90's. or vice versa? Thanks in advance. I never really considered one of these before, but it checks a lot of boxes.
    No difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    On the TF, is there any reason to prefer a recent Crimson Shop version over one from the '90's. or vice versa?

Thanks in advance. I never really considered one of these before, but it checks a lot of boxes.
    I’m with you. At first I wasn’t aware of the Tal Farlow. Then, when I first saw one I was put off by that loopy loop. I wrote the model off.

Then I read a few posts in this forum and learned a bit about the TF and how under appreciated it is by folks how don’t know any better. I began to want, no, NEED one. Best guitar decision ever.

Mine is an amazing playing and beautiful sounding guitar every bit as well made as my L-5. What a steal the Tals are. I kick myself for being closed minded for so long.

User Info Menu

First, a confession. I have read only a few of the posts here. But the OP wanted stories, and here's mine: For the past 27 years, I've been shuttling between the town and country homes. Halfway, in the town of Hämeenlinna (birthplace of composer Jean Sibelius) there used to be a well-stocked music store. The guys running it, a guitarist and a bassist, had been playing professionally in dance bands for decades. I regularly stopped by. One fine day, about 15 years ago, the guitarist showed me a TF that had come up for sale. I knew nothing about Tal Farlow the guitarist, and the instrument looked strange. While I loved the touch and feel, I was put off by the inverted fretboard inlays and the faux scroll that looked, well, faux.The asking price wasn't excessive and I could have afforded it. Not knowing what I was holding, I passed. Guess how many times I've regretted this.

User Info Menu

Just saw this Tal Farlow on reverb. Stated condition is fair. Looks like it fell over and caused stress cracks on the headstock backplate and neck joint at the cutaway. Viceroy Brown. I don’t know enough about touching up the lacquer in those spots, but the seller is very upfront and provided plenty of close up photos. And is accepting offers. Might be an opportunity for someone. Gibson 1998 Custom Shop Tal Farlow
    Gibson 1998 Custom Shop Tal Farlow | Reverb&#39;s Garage Sale | Reverb

User Info Menu

This is in Reverb’s store for things they now own due to damage claims against their shipping insurance. Unfortunately, most things they have listed there, despite being damaged, are priced at full retail price for a similar item in very good to excellent condition. They take offers, but don’t appear to accept any, at least not any reasonable ones.

This Tal Farlow is priced at what you should be able to find one that doesn’t have any damage. There is a wine red one for $3500 taking offers right now and it doesn’t have any issues according to the seller. I bet it could be had for the same price or better and would sell again easier than one with a headstock/neck crack.

There is also a Marshall Randy Rhoads amp priced above what many functioning examples of the same model have sold for on Reverb. It might have a really simple fix or it might need major work.

I wouldn’t touch this stuff.

User Info Menu

Headstock breaks , fractures etc. have a significant impact on resale value, and that needs to be considered when buying something like this. Unless of course, if it’s a very rare vintage guitar from a well known maker - and even then it would have to be discounted accordingly.

As Chuck stated , the asking price is what a used “ unbroken” headstock guitar is worth in “very good “ condition.
    Last edited by QAman; 10-03-2020 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Retrofret in Brooklyn has it now. Great shop:

RetroFret Vintage Guitars

User Info Menu

hey guys, the reverb garage shop will take $2100 and free ship for this 98 Tal with the hairline crack.
    wgat do you guys think???
    it’s really hard to tell from the pics and he’s not giving much detail. It’s weird how the crack line follows the Chevron.

Any thoughts?
    Id love to snag it as a beater workhorse, but do t want to get into repair nightmares ;(

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    This is in Reverb’s store for things they now own due to damage claims against their shipping insurance. Unfortunately, most things they have listed there, despite being damaged, are priced at full retail price for a similar item in very good to excellent condition. They take offers, but don’t appear to accept any, at least not any reasonable ones.

This Tal Farlow is priced at what you should be able to find one that doesn’t have any damage. There is a wine red one for $3500 taking offers right now and it doesn’t have any issues according to the seller. I bet it could be had for the same price or better and would sell again easier than one with a headstock/neck crack.

There is also a Marshall Randy Rhoads amp priced above what many functioning examples of the same model have sold for on Reverb. It might have a really simple fix or it might need major work.

I wouldn’t touch this stuff.

User Info Menu

question for owners of the tal farlow. is the scroll just painted on or is it actually a piece of inlaid binding? i always assumed it was real binding but looking closely at different models on google, it looked like there were some inconsistencies and now I'm not so sure if it isn't just painted on. I'd love to know

User Info Menu

A strip of binding is Inlaid to form the scroll.
    Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-a8d3feca-eabe-4ad8-b677-b00cb0481995-jpg
    Last edited by rolijen; 11-15-2020 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Photo added