The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Posts 276 to 297 of 297
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    DB, that's the sound brother! Fan- thunking-tastic!
    Yeah, the Polytone brings out the Tal’s thunk in spades! I always thought thunk was guitar related only, but I am beginning to think the amp is a contributing factor too in the thunk chain, just like the way of picking.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ooh!! That sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Such fantastic playing and beautiful tone! Enjoyed this so much.

User Info Menu

Listened to this again. This is how I want to play when I grow up!

User Info Menu

Super rendition. Which polytone is it please? I have the IV with just the 3 knobs, 3 way switch and 15" spkr. No distortion or reverb. Thanks

User Info Menu

Nice work db.
    FWIW Tal always swapped out the TOM bridge for wood (he didn’t care ebony vs rosewood).
    Have you tried that?
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Yeah, the Polytone brings out the Tal’s thunk in spades! I always thought thunk was guitar related only, but I am beginning to think the amp is a contributing factor too in the thunk chain, just like the way of picking.
    Soo fine - thanks! I agree completely that picking style and approach are key determinants of tone. But I suspect that fretting/fingering style and approach also affect this. I notice that you appear to lift your fretting fingers a bit further off the board between notes than I do, which lets you fret each one with a bit more force that’s perhaps also a bit more rapidly applied in comparison to those like me who fret more lightly and keep our fingers closer to the strings. I’ve always tried to minimize hand and finger motion on the strings, but I’ve clearly limited my tonal spectrum by doing so.

The combination of quicker, firmer fretting with perfectly timed picking is part of the sound. I just tried it and it’s definitely thunky. Until watching you play in this video, I never woulda thunk it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Dome
    Such fantastic playing and beautiful tone! Enjoyed this so much.

User Info Menu

A perfect combination of player, instrument, amplification, picking technique, and material making for a very satisfying evocation of Bop sensibility. Kudos!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Super rendition. Which polytone is it please? I have the IV with just the 3 knobs, 3 way switch and 15" spkr. No distortion or reverb. Thanks
    It's the Polytone Mini Brute IV with reverb and 15"speaker. I count 9 knobs and a 3 way switch. Thanks!

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Listened to this again. This is how I want to play when I grow up!
    Come on over and we'll work on that!

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Nice work db.
    FWIW Tal always swapped out the TOM bridge for wood (he didn’t care ebony vs rosewood).
    Have you tried that?
    jk
    No. Never tried a wooden bridge on my Tal. Thanks.

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Soo fine - thanks! I agree completely that picking style and approach are key determinants of tone. But I suspect that fretting/fingering style and approach also affect this. I notice that you appear to lift your fretting fingers a bit further off the board between notes than I do, which lets you fret each one with a bit more force that’s perhaps also a bit more rapidly applied in comparison to those like me who fret more lightly and keep our fingers closer to the strings. I’ve always tried to minimize hand and finger motion on the strings, but I’ve clearly limited my tonal spectrum by doing so.

The combination of quicker, firmer fretting with perfectly timed picking is part of the sound. I just tried it and it’s definitely thunky. Until watching you play in this video, I never woulda thunk it
    Interesting observations. You are probably right about the fretting/fingering style. There must be a number of variables in the Thunk equasion and you have uncovered a few new ones!

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    A perfect combination of player, instrument, amplification, picking technique, and material making for a very satisfying evocation of Bop sensibility. Kudos!
    Such eloquence. Thanks!

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Come on over and we'll work on that!

DB
    That could happen. Sometime in the next year or so I need to make a trip to the UK to visit a few archaeological collections and many times I've returned via Amsterdam, and could probably arrange an overnight stop. That could be fun!

User Info Menu

DB get a wooden bridge and rerecord ... would be a cool experiment).

Thinking about Tal variables unlike us mortals Tal had large, no they were massive hands. So above the sixth/seventh fret his finger came very close to the size of the fret. Above that definitely filled a fret. I have a lesson picture somewhere i gotta look that up. Never thought about its effect on thunk before. Always amazed me the size gave the ability to stretch and get tones in chords mortals couldnt. But it was a little harder for him close stacking notes in chord melody. Fun days they were.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    DB get a wooden bridge and rerecord ... would be a cool experiment)..
    Agreed. Would be cool to try out. Is there a wooden bridge that allows for decent intonation these days?

DB

User Info Menu

I love the sound of a wood bridge but cannot tolerate imperfect intonation. Playing with a piano just doesn’t work unless your intonation is spot on.

I am kind of anal too moving the base all around on the top seeing former footprints on the top.

User Info Menu

Tal really didn’t fuss much about the bridge or intonation, always rosewood with the standard intonation set up. I never saw a TOM in the studio/living room. Sometimes before a lesson after tuning up he would give it a yank fore or aft. All by ear, no stroboscopic tuners))).
    By the mid 80’s when I showed up, bridge marks were the least of the finish damage on old Prototype #2.
    Thinking back, seeing him do that was out of the ordinary, thus I can recall that clearly. I recall when the first ‘modern’ prototypes came in they were wood equipped from the carton. (The sort of ES350 but not the TF we know and love.). I never had the chance to see the new guitars, sadly career was in the way of everything by 96.
    Theres a Wes Montgomery interview in a book where Wes really takes Tal to task for being “sloppy”. Tal (and db) play so fast it may not matter)))
    jk

User Info Menu

DB! One of my all time favorite players of this forum. You’ve got a rhythmic sense and player’s groove that’s feel good infectious! Keep ‘em coming!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    DB! One of my all time favorite players of this forum. You’ve got a rhythmic sense and player’s groove that’s feel good infectious! Keep ‘em coming!
    Glad you dig my stuff 2B. Very good to hear why too! Thanks.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Playing with a piano just doesn’t work unless your intonation is spot on.
    …and the piano’s in perfect tune, a less common event than would be ideal