The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Aha.

Apologies Mr Lerch, I just had to post this for all here to enjoy and inspire...

Sublime.

Everyone here, if you have not got one then do yourselves a favour and get yerself a Tele

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do this with my main guitars as well, tuning down to D though rather than Db. After experimenting C, Db and D, I found that D was little more stable on a 25.5" scale length. On the other hand, I like my guitar setup a little looser than Tim.

destinytot Guest
    God, that's beautiful. I've been experimenting with that tuning on nylon, but now I absolutely have to get a tele and get it set up that way. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing guys,
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Beautiful intro on Old Folks. Love that tune!!
    MD

User Info Menu

I'm taking my Fender Baja 60's to my guitar tech next week and having this mod done !
    Dave

User Info Menu

Another guitar that works so well with lower tunings is Jim Soloway's long scale Swan. 27 1/2 inch I'm remembering, something like that. Not much shorter than my baritone, but meant to be played at standard. (I had to go down a size from my preferred string gauge.)

It sounds like a piano on the low end, and the sound holds together so well as pitch goes down.
    MD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by superdave
    I'm taking my Fender Baja 60's to my guitar tech next week and having this mod done !
    Dave

Oooh...I didn't know they did a baja 60's...so it's got the 4 way switching? What's the neck like? The soft V on the old Baja's was HEAVENLY. As a matter of fact, it's why I had Warmoth make me a big, soft V for my tele...man I love that neck.

User Info Menu

Jeff the Baja 60's neck is profiled as a 60's C shape. If you look up the diagrams of the Fender neck shapes you will see its not as pronounced as the soft V but not as shallow as the modern C shape. Flat Rosewood fretboard and yes 4 way switching. I'm really enjoying the heck out of this guitar and i'm sure after the string change I will like it even more !
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images Tim Lerch low tuned Tele-image-jpg 
    Last edited by superdave; 02-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by superdave
    Jeff the Baja 60's neck is profiled as a 60's C shape. If you look up the diagrams of the Fender neck shapes tou will see its not as pronounced as the soft V but not as shallow as the modern C shape. Flat Rosewood fretboard and yes 4 way switching. I'm really enjoying the heck out of this guitar and i'm sure after the string change I will like it even more !
    Dave

The bajas are amazing values. You picked a beauty too!

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Thanks for sharing guys,
    all the best
    Tim
    Love your playing and teaching - thank YOU!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Another guitar that works so well with lower tunings is Jim Soloway's long scale Swan. 27 1/2 inch I'm remembering, something like that. Not much shorter than my baritone, but meant to be played at standard. (I had to go down a size from my preferred string gauge.)

It sounds like a piano on the low end, and the sound holds together so well as pitch goes down.
    MD
    27". And yes, they do hang together at lower pitch really well. With the right strings, you can get really comfortable down to B.

User Info Menu

Man now I'm gassin' for a new tele for de-tuned fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    Man now I'm gassin' for a new tele for de-tuned fun.

That's it! Thats my excuse to buy one of those Baja 60's teles!

User Info Menu

FWIW, it doesn't take a Tele, just a guitar with a 25.5" scale length (or longer, of course). I do it with my Heritage archtop. You could do it with a Strat, an L5, a Tal Farlow or a Golden Eagle.

User Info Menu

I've been looking at them also and actually played the classic player version ( non 60's ) of the Baja at the local GC today. I really liked the tone and the switching on it but did not care for the " soft V " neck. I realize this is all personal preference but know that the 60's version has a different bridge pickup along with the C neck in comparison to the non 60's version.

User Info Menu

fender had a blacktop telecaster baritone..with 27" scale..set up sort of opposite of tims..with 2 single coils and bridge humbucker...bari's are usually tuned to B or A..so tims tuning and string choice would give it nice low tension...i'd try flatwound strings btw!

Tim Lerch low tuned Tele-61savzxsyxl-_sl1500_-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    FWIW, it doesn't take a Tele, just a guitar with a 25.5" scale length (or longer, of course). I do it with my Heritage archtop. You could do it with a Strat, an L5, a Tal Farlow or a Golden Eagle.
    Now I know what I can do with the extra Strat I have just sitting...14 flatwounds tuned down....

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    I have a Fender Custom Shop SubSonic Telecaster (discontinued) that I would be willing to sell. It has a 27 inch scale and takes the minor third down tuning perfectly and can go lower if you like its white with a black guard and I put a Seymour Duncan HB in the neck position.
    This particular one is a custom shop version so its a bit spendy, Squire made these as well (if you can find one ) at a much lower price point.
    send me a note if you are interested or have questions
    all the best
    tim

User Info Menu

Talk about synchronicity. .. I just got through playing all my wonderful jazz boxes, and then plugged the Tele in, and it was...whoa? WTF?
    I couldn't believe how great it sounded and played! Seriously!
    The Telecaster is an amazing guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gspirro1
    Talk about synchronicity. ..
    Funny you should say that. Went downstairs last night to pick up one of the Heritage archtops, took the telecaster detour instead. It happens a lot. Teles seem to enable any type of playing, feel right for everything. Sometimes the simplest tools are best.

MD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Teles seem to enable any type of playing, feel right for everything. Sometimes the simplest tools are best.

MD
    Tele's are the hammer of the gods. Thor would play one.

Proof.....

Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That's it! Thats my excuse to buy one of those Baja 60's teles!

Just bought mine today!