The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Had $50 worth of Guitar center gift cards from my students and my local store had an "opened box" for $89.

Duh. No brainer.

What a great sounding little amp. Much darker than the original lunchbox...and it'll power two 9v pedals...video coming monday...very cool practice amp, and pretty darn loud.

Anyway, I think these have been discontinued...nobody seems to have em online...so if you can find one under 100 bucks--pounce, you'll like it!

ZT Lunchbox Junior-zt-lunchbox-junior-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

$89!?!? Bro, you scored! I'd go for that deal in a heartbeat.

User Info Menu

It shocking that an amp, yes the size if a lunchbox WITH A FIVE INCH SPEAKER could sound so good. I tried one out at SamAsh and I couldn't believe.
    I would actually use it at my restaurant job if I had one.
    Mr B, that was a smart buy. Question, how do you get people to give you gift cards for guitar center? People insist on giving me gift cards for Macy's and Nordstroms. Then I have to hand them over to my wife and she buys make-up with them..

User Info Menu

I have one, I went out of my way to get it when they first came out a couple years ago. Make the lovely little book and but not much else. What am I missing? It seems a nice neutral lamp but I'm not blown away by the small speaker. Last time I tried it was probably about a month ago, I can try to again but I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else is noticed that I have missed.

User Info Menu

Good score...they are so great I have two of them! For the past 8 months or so, all of my practice time has been through the LB Jr. unless it's very early in the morning and I'm doing headphone practice, in which case I'll use my Phil Jones headphone unit rather than the LB.

FYI, my tone settings using a lam jazz box and heavy flats is gain jus shy of 12, tone at 11 then volume between 9 and 11.

User Info Menu

How many watts does it put out?

User Info Menu

35 watts 5" speaker
    £139 in UK

thinking about getting one
    i would have pounced too at your price Mr B !

5 lbs .... oh yeah baby !

User Info Menu

GC has them on close out for $149. My local GC apparently has one in stock. Think I'll go check it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I have one, I went out of my way to get it when they first came out a couple years ago. Make the lovely little book and but not much else. What am I missing? It seems a nice neutral lamp but I'm not blown away by the small speaker. Last time I tried it was probably about a month ago, I can try to again but I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else is noticed that I have missed.

I don't know. Perhaps it just didn't work well with your guitar.

I was very impressed, the best bass response I've ever heard out of such a small speaker. Allows me to play at home with a tone I'd actually use live for "solo guitar."...and it will power a reverb pedal, which it kinda needs to open things up a bit, at least in my living room. Looks like it will be great for teaching, as well.

TedB, careful, $150 is not a deal...they're yanking your chain calling that a closeout.

My GC had them on closeout for $99, but when it turned out the only one they had was the one sitting in the display window, they knocked off another $10 for me.

User Info Menu

Here's my test recording. Be sure to try decent headphones or speakers, I set the bass high to show what it's capable of--high enough it distorts my phone speaker.

I am very impressed. My new practice amp.

User Info Menu

Mr. B.,
    Thanks for posting the sound test. I was really quite surprised by the tone. Sounds great and great playing. I'll have to look around for one on sale.

User Info Menu

Thank you. It was the amount of bass that surprised me. Now I can play solo guitar in my living room and not have to hook up my Henriksen or drag up my Polytone from the basement.

Yeah, if you can find one at about $100, I say grab it.

I do think they are discontinued, so it might be tough to find the pedal adapter in stock, but a quick trip to radio shack or amazon will fix that. These will run on a battery pack too, but I don't really have a need for that, but if you want that, check to see if they have the accessories, because zt might not be making them anymore.

User Info Menu

That sounds fantastic. Have you played a semi-hollow or chambered solid body through it?

User Info Menu

I had a regular lunchbox for a few years. Was also blown away by the volume and tone. Ultimately the lack of reverb made me end up selling it. I hate setting up a pedal for reverb - ruins most of the appeal of a super small portable amp.

User Info Menu

That really does sound great, Jeff. How does a telecaster sound through it?

I was looking at buying a ZT amp a year ago or so, and they were sold out for most retailers. My rampaging gas moved on to other fields to pillage, but I noticed a few months later that they were available. So I forget what I'm basing this on, but it seems like availability sort of ebbs and flows- that ZT is the designer and they outsource production which is limited in frequency. I bring this point up in hope that this model is not discontinued but might come back for sale in a while.

Again, I'm not basing this on any inside knowledge, but rather the half-remembered info from this site and thegearpage from back when I was googling these amps compulsively more than a year ago.

User Info Menu

I know, that's why I was into this idea, since it will power the pedal, at least. I hate having to remember batteries or plug in wall warts...

The thing I was shocked about was that the JR has an even better bass response than the more powerful lunchbox (which I also own...I'm a ZT fan) The original can get the bassier sound, but it's not EQ'd for it on it's own...it needs an EQ pedal or my preference, a Fender voiced preamp with independent bass and treble controls.

This little guy is not gig-worthy, like the original lunchbox...well, I shouldn't say that, you can totally play a coffee-shop type gig with it.

User Info Menu

Jeff, that's the lunchbox I heard when I played through it. Amazing.

And your playing is great. Not good, great.
    I will be stealing some of the lines, but there's no way I will replicate your soul. I said it before and I'll say it again, your creativity on the neck is world-class. You are definitely part of the .02%.. One day, I hope to get there myself.

Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 02-25-2016 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Jeff which guitar are you playing ! Looks like a Heritage 575 ?
    Dave

User Info Menu

Yes, a 1996 575. Love it, it can do modern or classic jazz with ease.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greasy0015
    I was looking at buying a ZT amp a year ago or so, and they were sold out for most retailers. My rampaging gas moved on to other fields to pillage, but I noticed a few months later that they were available. So I forget what I'm basing this on, but it seems like availability sort of ebbs and flows- that ZT is the designer and they outsource production which is limited in frequency. I bring this point up in hope that this model is not discontinued but might come back for sale in a while.
    That's about right, apparently. I couldn't find one and wrote to ZT Amps. Here is their honest and prompt reply:

The Junior is out of production. There is a chance it could return. We are currently evaluating that category, so I don’t have a firm answer for you right now. If you’d like, I’ll add you to a notify list when we have some news.

Just FYI.

User Info Menu

I dropped a link to this thread to Mike at ZT Amps and he very kindly wrote back with this little bit of news that some of you might find interesting. I'm certainly looking forward to hearing this one:

Thanks for the thread link. Interesting read. I always like to find out what people think about our stuff (and our company).

Since you're into the jazz forums, I can give you a bit of a teaser...later this year there's a new line launching, ZT Custom Shop, and one of our first offerings will be a Jazz Club - a 1x12 geared toward jazz players (but will sound great for pretty much anything). All hand-made here in California with as many U.S. sourced components as possible. If you want to stay informed, you can sign up for the newsletter at www.ztcustomshop.com.

User Info Menu

Hey Jeff,

Great playing out of the lunchbox..just stopped into my local GC here in the desert and there is a JR sitting there, $99 he said..told him i will be back, he said its been sitting on display for months. Might as well grab it..What where you using for reverb in the video? obviously a pedal? thanks

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks. It's a TC Electronics Hall of Fame.