The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Went into Guitar Center today for a set of D’Addario Chrome Flat 12’s, found a set I'd never seen before.
    What's your current fav set ?
    Last edited by electricfactory; 02-17-2016 at 08:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use D'Addario. They have sets with low high e from 10 to 13, all flatwound with wound third. Last set I got was from Guitar Center. Learn the colors of the packages and then you can point to where they are on the wall if they have them, that is what I do. I try to avoid asking anyone at Guitar Center any question.
    D'Addario Strings : Electric Strings : XL Chromes Flat Wound
    Last edited by icr; 02-17-2016 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

according to d'addario it is a "flat" wound 24!

chromes 12-52-String Gauges: Plain Steel .012, .016, Stainless Steel Flat Wound .024, .032, .042, .052

thomastik 12 flats have flat wound g...great pure nickel flatwound string

i'd think most 12 sets would have a wound g as opposed to an plain/unwound g

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-17-2016 at 07:28 PM.

User Info Menu

The set designation is ECG25R, have never seen this set before.

User Info Menu

No matter what I do, I keep going back to good ole TI12's, Jazz Swings of course.
    love em.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

TI JS112 for the Tal and the Reg and TI JS113 on the Epi JP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    TI JS112 for the Tal and the Reg and TI JS113 on the Epi JP

hah..nice 13's ala joe p..

thomastiks are one of a kind flats..my faves for years..any gauge..all great!

cheers

User Info Menu

Rotosound top tape .12 are my favorites now, following almost 40 years of D'addario loyalty.

THUNK.

User Info Menu

I like La Bella 20PH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Rotosound top tape .12 are my favorites now, following almost 40 years of D'addario loyalty.

THUNK.
    roto's are truly one of a kind!!...only vintage monel flat set made..in only gauge flatwound that rotosound makes...singular!!

cheers

User Info Menu

TI Swings....13's on the archtops, 12's on the 335 and the solid bodies.

User Info Menu

D'Addario 11's and 12's

User Info Menu

Is it true TI's have less tension for the same caliber? So what would be the equivalent of D'Addario 11's? TI 12's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Is it true TI's have less tension for the same caliber? So what would be the equivalent of D'Addario 11's? TI 12's?
    yes

all strings are made with a steel inner core..like the plain e & b strings..with the wound strings being wrapped with an outter core..thomastik uniquely uses very thin low tension inner cores..and double wrap the outter layer with pure nickel..very supple strings..tho co$tly to produce

they do however maintain tone longer

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-17-2016 at 11:29 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Chromes 12's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Doc Jeff, it took me a while to latch on to it. T-I 12s are actually what other makers call 11s, and T-I 13s are other makers' 12s. The T-I wound strings are from other makers' lighter gauge set. If you take a D'Addario Chrome 11 set and throw out the plain 11 and 15 for a 12 and a 16, you get a T-I 12 set in terms of gauge.

You can download a T-I tension chart off its website.

http://stringtensionpro.com/SetBuilder?id=23
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-18-2016 at 05:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Sets which intrigue me:

Black Diamond Pure Jazz Flats.
    Galli Jazz Flats.
    Optima Jazz Flats.

User Info Menu

TI Jazz Swing flat 12s

User Info Menu

TI JS112s for electric, AC111s for acoustic.

User Info Menu

I used La Bellas for a long time:

But I joined the crowd for T-I (still like the La Bellas, though):

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the picture, now I know what to look out for.
    Just wondering, what exactly do you like about them most ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I used La Bellas for a long time:

But I joined the crowd for T-I (still like the La Bellas, though):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by electricfactory
    Thanks for posting the picture, now I know what to look out for.
    Just wondering, what exactly do you like about them most ?
    La Bellas: Sometimes I crave a heavier E, and that's a 14. The nylon tap wound strings are unique: a mellow, dark tone. And they last forever. You end up replacing the plain strings and keeping the wound ones.

T-I: another set that seems to last a long time. I like the lower tension and the wound strings are very smooth.

When it comes to easy-to-find sets, the D'Addario are the easiest to find. I find them brighter and stiffer than the T-Is, though.

User Info Menu

Thomastik JS112 for archtops. All my archtops have that set on them. They are $25 but they last forever.

I use Daddario 10's on my carvin holdsworth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Sets which intrigue me:

Black Diamond Pure Jazz Flats.
    Galli Jazz Flats.
    Optima Jazz Flats.
    I've been using Galli Jazz Flats (JF1356) for a few years now. I've been putting them on My Loar LH-600, (with a CC p/up) and am really happy with them. They're a bright sounding Chrome set, with a high tension, and although I've tried D'Addario chrome, Rotosound Top Tape & Thomastic Swings, these are the longest lasting set I've encountered.

But...
    When I started buying these, they were quite a bit cheaper than they are now. Once I'd used them a couple of times, I stocked up, including buying several sets, discounted, from a retailer/vendor on the Amazon market place. I also put a set of their 12-52's on an old Epiphone electric which has a 25 & 1/2" scale. These were too light for that guitar, so they came off, and were replaced with a set of the discounted 13-56. However, to my dismay, I noticed a very pronounced imbalance, with the D string having a much lower output than the rest of the set. The 12's did not exhibit that problem, when they had been installed previously, so I think it must be the set. Maybe they were discounted because they were part of a bad batch. ?

Anyway, it's now too far down the line to claim a refund from the vendor, and I'll have to wait until I restring the Loar to see if any other sets are affected. I'll update here, if/when appropriate.

User Info Menu

My semi-hollow Tele with a VVG CC pickup is currently wearing Pyramid Gold .011-.048 with the E and B strings replaced with .012 and .016. Great balance with that pickup. I've used those strings on my GB10 with good results, a little loose with the shorter scale at that gauge, though.