The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

Js113 with 12 and 16 plain top strings from D'addario. A better balance in my opinion.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been using Chromes .012 forever but recently switched to Thomastik Jazz Swing. In Europe a set is appr. 15 € – 5 € less than the chromes. Compared to chromes the bass strings are thinner in the set. After getting used to it I find them more balanced. I used .012 sets of both brands so far, but a set of .013 is lying here to replace the chromes on my GB10 as soon as I get around doing it. I hope for more meat on the treble and balanced lower register.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Is it true TI's have less tension for the same caliber? So what would be the equivalent of D'Addario 11's? TI 12's?
    I think that comes from the different compilation of the set. Compared to other makers, TI uses skinnier bass strings in the Jazz Swing sets – so these have less tension. E.g.:
    • D'Addario Chromes: .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .052
    • Thomastik Jazz Swing: .012, .016, .020, .027, .037, .050

You may or may not like this better. I had to get used to the slightly different feel, but now I think the tone and volume is better balanced across all registers. TI JS are also the cheapest flatwounds now here in Europe (around 15 € a set), that helps. But I wouldn't mind paying more as I tend to play a set for years.

The TI George Benson set is compiled differently btw.: .012, .016, .020, .028, .039, .053

I think it all comes down to what works best for you and on your guitar.

User Info Menu

So eventually I got around changing the strings on my GB10 from Chromes .012 to Thomastik Jazz Swing .013.

My initial impression: The Jazz swing are a better balanced set for this guitar. With the chromes the two lowest string were a bit overpowered. Overall the JS are quieter when played through an amp, but the volume across the strings is better balanced. The JS have a more "airy" tone than the very solid sounding Chromes. IMHO that gives the guitar more "acoustic" properties – I like it.
    The chromes feel a little smoother and accordingly the JS make a bit more noise sliding through positions. But from my experience that will go away after a while. I have two other guitars strung with JS .012 and I didn't notice a lot of difference from the different gauge in feel or tone. Maybe when they settle down and loose the initial brilliance.
    I couldn't say which brand is better – both have their qualities and it's nice to have the choice. The balance across the set is an advantage of the JS – at least for that particular guitar.