The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Thank you for the write-up, Pubylakeg (you'll always be "Pub By Lake Geneva" to me). Did you write to Galli Strings in Italy? Perhaps they would replace your strings out of goodwill. And you would really be helping them to alert them to a problem.

No-one seems to stock the Galli Jazz Flats; their classical strings are everywhere. I'm finding the Eur 13,00 per set factory direct kinda hard to stomach.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Labella Tape wound for that Bucky zound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo
    Labella Tape wound for that Bucky zound!
    I could use Bucky's personal guitar and amp and still not get that Bucky sound, so I'm sticking with Chromes.

User Info Menu

I cannot lie. I own the Moll and play through a Jazzamp because I love Bucky's tone (dry and flat - in a good way). I have to say that I get that same tone of his and the Yapewounds are a big part of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Thank you for the write-up, Pubylakeg (you'll always be "Pub By Lake Geneva" to me). Did you write to Galli Strings in Italy? Perhaps they would replace your strings out of goodwill. And you would really be helping them to alert them to a problem.

No-one seems to stock the Galli Jazz Flats; their classical strings are everywhere. I'm finding the Eur 13,00 per set factory direct kinda hard to stomach.
    Thanks Jabs, It never really occurred to me to contact Galli, but I would if I find any other sets are affected. Actually, looking at their site, the €13 sets are quite competitive, my usual supplier are charging £14:70 (=€18:90) sheesh...

As for the Optimas, from the manufacturers website, I looked at all the dealers in the UK and none of them seem to list the flatwounds in stock. I would be interested to try them. I believe that company is the renamed Maxima strings. Is that correct?. On the subject of Maxima,/Optima, I believe they were responsible for the legendary Rickenbacker branded flatwounds, which I recall as being the most incredible low-tension flatwound string on the market. Unbelievably, according to John Hall of Rickenbacker, the manufacturer has lost the technique for making strings in this way ?

I'll also get round to trying Picato and DR flats at some time, but for now, I've been really impressed with Clifford Essex Chrome flats. They're not as bright as D'Addarios, and seem to be lasting really well.

Btw, being in a pub by Lake Geneva (with the yacht on stand by) sounds great, but at the moment, I'm having enough difficulty paying for strings, and have you seen the price of NOS valves these days ?!!!.....

User Info Menu

yes optima is old maxima..who made those great old ric flatwound strings..they changed things..went to a gold coated strings

incidentally john hall talked with thomastik about becoming the new ric supplier but they would not deviate from their exact gauges, so it didn't happen

he also says thomatiks are closest to the old maxima...thin core double wrap pure nickel

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by electricfactory
    Went into Guitar Center today for a set of D’Addario Chrome Flat 12’s, found a set I'd never seen before.
    What's your current fav set ?
    Erhhhmmmm, what is the "set I'd never seen before". Got me hanging by the cliff there.

User Info Menu

I remember going to a Rickenbacker display in a hotel in Edinburgh, back in the early 80's, which was set up by one of Rick's earlier attempts at direct European distribution (you couldn't get them here for a period in the late 70's-early 80's) and playing, among other things, a 4001-V63 (at that time, a new model) which was strung with those flats, and to draw an equivalent, it felt like the string tension was where a normal set would be if they were tuned to Db, or C. I was completely non-plussed at the time, and I've never felt anything like them, before or since.

The Rickenbacker reps present, explained to me that there had been considerable effort made by the manufacturer to ensure equal tension on each string. Afterwards, I played a 4003, strung with rounds, which were also noticeably lower tension, although not nearly as much as the flats.

Looking at their website, I see they suffer from RotoSound syndrome by only offering 1 gauge ( 11-49 ). Ah well.

CHROME STRINGS ELECTRIC GUITAR

User Info Menu

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-19-2016 at 01:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yes optima is old maxima..who made those great old ric flatwound strings..they changed things..went to a gold coated strings

incidentally john hall talked with thomastik about becoming the new ric supplier but they would not deviate from their exact gauges, so it didn't happen

he also says thomatiks are closest to the old maxima...thin core double wrap pure nickel

cheers

The optima gauges look strange to me. Heavy on the bottom compared to the top. Have not tried them/

User Info Menu

Like so many others, I prefer TI Swings, 12s. Can't get anything finer. All Peerless ship with D'Addario Chromes, which aren't bad, but TI are just better for me. Less tension, nice feel and sound. Just very slick strings.

I would love to try some alternatives, but I don't want to buy a set of a different brand I would just put on and pull off right away if I didn't like them.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    The optima gauges look strange to me. Heavy on the bottom compared to the top. Have not tried them/
    Yeah, the Optima are like the anti-Thomastik-Infeld. Where a T-I Jazz Swing 112 set has the bottom four from a typical 11-50 set, an Optima Jazz Swing Flat 12 set has the bottom four from a typical 13-56 set. The Optima 11 Jazz Swing Flat Light set has heavier wound strings than the T-I Medium JS113.

See Page 6 http://www.optima-strings.com/downlo...katalog-en.pdf

User Info Menu

Pyramid 12s for me. Curiously, a bit harder to find than their other gauges.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg

Looking at their website, I see they suffer from RotoSound syndrome by only offering 1 gauge ( 11-49 ). Ah well.

CHROME STRINGS ELECTRIC GUITAR

looks like they've since dropped that one particular set..the 2016 catalog now has three chrome flat sets...

10-49...11-54....12-56

they also say the wound strings are double wrapped...ala thomastik

may be worth checking out

cheers

User Info Menu

Optima are 24 carat gold? Bling!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Encinitastubes
    Pyramid 12s for me. Curiously, a bit harder to find than their other gauges.
    Yes, those are harder to find IME. The Gold sets in .010 and .011 are easy, the .012s are rare.

I use stringsbymail.com and they sometimes have the .012s but they seem to sell out quick. Could probably send John W a message and ask, he'd probably stock them more if there was a demand.

User Info Menu

TI JS 13s. Used to use the 12s, but the 13s are still easy on the hands and work very well on my L5 (my only archtop at the moment).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M
    TI JS 13s. Used to use the 12s, but the 13s are still easy on the hands and work very well on my L5 (my only archtop at the moment).
    Yes, carved archtops need big strings to drive the top.

User Info Menu

are there any places online at sell Thomastik JS112 at a discount or is $25 pretty much the going rate..? thanks

I have Thomastik JS113's on my Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno, too big for me and my wimpy hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    are there any places online at sell Thomastik JS112 at a discount or is $25 pretty much the going rate..? thanks

I have Thomastik JS113's on my Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno, too big for me and my wimpy hands.

I would suggest get on the mailing lists for Just Strings, Strings and Beyond, Strings by Mail, and watch for sales.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4

www.scheidermusik.de . When you buy a dozen, you get a price break, about EURO 12.95 per set. For one set, it is about EURO14.40. Schneider Musik charges actual postage, not a flat rate. https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/prod...l3ll88elamr8i1

Herzlich Willkommen has the best prices. For one set of JS112, it is about EURO11.25. Flat postage of Euro 30 to the USA, regardless of quantity, up to a limit of 30Kg. That is the catch; you pay EURO 30 postage for one set or one hundred sets. http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomastik_js112_jazz_strings.htm

Schneider Musik works out to be cheaper overall for small quantities.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-21-2016 at 02:52 AM.

User Info Menu

On amazon.com they are $21.50 with free shipping at the moment, but for us Canadian it is not a good deal with exchange rate and no free shipping. Sad GlobalStrings use to sell them for 18.49$can until a couple months ago, good I could get some packages before they increased to 25$can
    Last edited by vinlander; 02-21-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

I've been using TI Swings 0.13 - 0.53 for long but recently started experimenting changing the high E to 0.14 (instead of 0.13) and the B to 0.18 (instead of 0.17). I do like the 0.14 but went back soon from the 0.18 to the original 0.17 gauge. I'm surprised about the unexpected "huge" difference between 0.17 and 0.18, find the 0.17 to be MUCH more responsive.

User Info Menu

S A I T E N L A N D - Thomastik Jazz George Benson GB114

Saitenland does export out of Germany using DHL PostPaket International. Email Eva letting her know the quantity of what you want and she will get back to you with a proper postage quote. Saitenland accepts Paypal.

Cheapest place I have found online thus far for T-I George Benson GB114, EURO20.16 ~ $22.22, not lncluding postage.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-23-2016 at 09:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Was on ti bebop12s since i bought my 175 so 18 months through a Princeton65ri.

thought i would give the tiswaings12 sitting in the draw a go, was not for me, to mushy lack of clarity.

i saw those italian flats galli, had nevver heard of them, benson strings were AU$55, ti $37 chromes $34??????????????
    Lucky they had 13 chromes in old packaging for 27 went with those.

Yeah like them, brighter and clearer sound than the ti's and a little bit raspy i love that. Like the extra thickness of the 13, chords sound great can dial down the bass a bit so more punch.

My favourite string on this guitar has been what it came with the Gibson L5strings but they are no longer available. They were round but the flat chromes are pretty close.